A people's government is not possible: Thai House speaker

webfact

A people's government is not possible : House speaker
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Forming of a people’s government is not allowed by the Constitution, House House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont said Tuesday.

The Yingluck Shinawatra government was elected by Thai people, so a people’s government as proposed by rally leader Suthep Thaugsuban was not possible. Suthep floated the idea after anti-government protesters occupied the Budget Bureau which is in the compound of the Finance Ministry yesterday.

Meanwhile, Chief Opposition whip Jurin Laksanavisit said the opposition Democrat MPs must do their duty on a no-confidence debate against the PM today and tomorrow even if Suthep saying that this Parliament was no function.

"If the opposition did not attend to the House meeting to debate against PM and her minister, the Pheu Thai MPs would vote for PM and she could continue her administration."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-26

Eventually Somsak will understand exactly what the constitution is, when he is banned by the Constitutional Court for breaking the constitution. Him and his cronies escaped a banning order the first time round to keep civil order.

But things are changing, and the constitutional court has been attacked by the very same that were given this escape route. The next case pending in the CC can see a very different action taken.

What really makes me cringe is that when someone who is meant to be totally impartial as a house speaker comes out with the result of the vote before the debate has even started.

"If the opposition did not attend to the House meeting to debate against PM and her minister, the Pheu Thai MPs would vote for PM and she could continue her administration."

What really makes me cringe is that when someone who is meant to be totally impartial as a house speaker comes out with the result of the vote before the debate has even started.

My reading of the OP is that it was the Chief Opposition Whip who uttered those words, not the House Speaker!

• Like 1

Imagine a "People's Gorvernment" of "educated middle class" members... the same bunch of people that now behaves like a mob, blindly follows the crazy advices of their new master Suthep, adore, who knows why, the (aging) beautiful face of Abhisit as if it was the reincarnation of an angel, seize government buildings, block streets, refuse dialogue, disregard the opinion of millions of people, look down at anyone that is below their "class", ... It's going to be reaaaaly cool giggle.gif

I get the idea from this that you dislike (hate?) the middle class, Abhiset, and probably Suthep too. I'm guessing that you would prefer a law that only poor people who never attended school, or didn't attend for more than 5 years, 10 years? would be allowed to vote or be a politician. Interesting thought. I don't think that it's been tried before. Well, maybe it has, but previously it's been by killing anyone with an education. Personally I think voting should be restricted to those under the age of 5. Serving politicians should be over 100. Now that would be an interesting experiment.

A balance between the established economic families and the electorate in a democracy has never been achieved on earth. I am greatly interested in this Thai experiment...

Perhaps they will find a new solution?

The voting mobs of the uneducated in the West are just as easily manipulated as they are here in Thailand, and the established order in America shut down the government and will do so again, and less than twenty families has brought a lot of progress to a standstill socially, economically and politically here in Thailand.

Human beings do not like sharing power. As a species, this is one of our self-destructive tendencies.

• Like 1

Imagine a "People's Gorvernment" of "educated middle class" members... the same bunch of people that now behaves like a mob, blindly follows the crazy advices of their new master Suthep, adore, who knows why, the (aging) beautiful face of Abhisit as if it was the reincarnation of an angel, seize government buildings, block streets, refuse dialogue, disregard the opinion of millions of people, look down at anyone that is below their "class", ... It's going to be reaaaaly cool giggle.gif

If what you describe is a people's government, people who behave like a mob, seize gov buildings, block streets, refuse dialogue, disregard the opinions of millions, look down on others, etc we have all of that already with PT; except it is PT who adores, who knows why ,Thaksin. Both sides suck and both follow the instructions of another - either out of the country or above politics.

• Like 1

Dear Thailand you have a peoples government. Democracy basically means a government that is elected by the people to care for the people. There can be no other definition of a people's government in a Constitutional Monarchy.

If what you describe is a people's government, people who behave like a mob, seize gov buildings, block streets, refuse dialogue, disregard the opinions of millions, look down on others, etc we have all of that already with PT; except it is PT who adores, who knows why ,Thaksin. Both sides suck and both follow the instructions of another - either out of the country or above politics.

Why do PT adore thaksin? Money?

I think they are getting the translation from Thai to English wrong.

The protesters want a "government by the people and for the people" not a "government by the people and for the government", which is what you have now. Corruption.

There was a lot of vote buying in the last election. Don't believe me? As reported by the news and authenticated, several politicians from the last election were kicked out of office because it was proven they bought votes. They just haven't been able to prove the others did it. Seems too many people have short memories!

wonder if there will be "arrest warrants" waiting outside the meeting entrance that would effectively "detain" opposition MPs from the meeting, taking 2 days to sort out. YL and company would simply sit in the meeting and call for a vote after "No One Shows" claiming ignorance as to why they didn't attend. whistling.gif

Does the writer of this article actually understand English? What is this supposed to mean? "Meanwhile, Chief Opposition whip Jurin Laksanavisit said the opposition Democrat MPs must do their duty on a no-confidence debate against the PM today and tomorrow even if Suthep saying that this Parliament was no function." And why do you people at ThaiVisa publish this crap? The Post and the Nation are both some of the worst English-language newspapers ever published. The writers know nothing about real English, they can't organize their facts right and produce a real news story and their grammar is terrible. Why do you have anything to do with these idiots? Stop sending me this junk. I've had enough.

you could substitute a few name's and nouns and hey presto - a great description of the Thaksin inspired 2010 insurgency.