Purchasing New Automobile

Motown239

I'm planning to purchase a new vehicle during the first quarter of 2014. However, I'n debating whether to purchase a new or used vehicle. Can new vehicles be financed in Thailand,if your not a Thai citizen?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was at the Toyota dealership near the airport last week, pricing new vehicles. The sales lady informed me that since I was a non-citizen I would require a Thai guarantor if I needed to obtain financing. Of course, they might tell you something entirely different if you go there.

Usually you can get financing on a new car if the down payment is sufficient to satisfy the finance company and your history in Thailand. Some reports from members of down payment from 25% to 50% has given them financing. They may push for a Thai guarantor but I would press them on using down payment in lieu of it.

Thanks for your feedback. I probably pay 50% of the sticker price. Does the car dealership provide financing assistance e.g., loan officer or do I apply for loan at my local bank?

I know Honda, where I got mine, has an on site loan officer and probably Toyota and other major brands will have.

I agree with jackr but would put it another way that buying a used car can be risky unless if it's from a friend or a referral ( read into that as you please). I bought both used and new and had good luck but buyer should be very careful with either.

Buy new, secondhand cars (mostly) are a right rip here.

I would agree with that comment if it was 2012 but look again, especially the trucks,the prices are tumbling due to an over surplus of vehicles and the number of repos, as the economy now is coming home to roost.

And they were not rip off prices...2nd hand cars just hold their value better than in a windswept bleak wet washout of a place called Europe.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 1

I've been to used car dealers, I think what is ref to here as tent if I understand the term correctly, and every car and truck on the lot has the same mileage even though they spammed from one year to more than ten yrs old. There is also a big concern of the kind of maintenance they have or have not received

Thanks for your feedback. I probably pay 50% of the sticker price. Does the car dealership provide financing assistance e.g., loan officer or do I apply for loan at my local bank?

Try not to get upset when you figure out how they calculate loan payments. I had a fit but, was told this is the way they do it. No compounding of interest!

I'm grateful for the various inputs from the members. I don't have any close friends who's selling their private vehicle. Perhaps, purchasing a new vehicle will prove less grief.

If the economy is cooling in Thailand, perhaps, some incentive programs will surface. Initially, I was interested in purchasing a truck; however, I was concerned about gas mileage.

If you convert the engine to burn gasohol, I was told the conversion kit cost approximately 40,000 ฿. Will I violate the maintenance warranty, if installed?

Regarding insurance, I was told by one dealership, a new car comes with 1 year of insurance. What's proper level of auto coverage: liability only or full coverage. I'm not aware of the types of insurance coverage available in Thailand. Apparently, there are many vehicles on the road without insurance.

Frankly, I want to cover all the bases before purchasing a new vehicle. I just need a reliable vehicle.

Trucks are mostly diesel, converting to NGV/LPG is not an option unless you switch the engine out for a petrol one. Diesel is 20% cheaper than E10 gasohol right now. Tata and Mitsubishi do trucks sold new with NGV kits installed, but you do pay more upfront and so only worth the extra initial cost if you're doing high miles.

All new cars that run on petrol can run on gasohol.

For advice on what is best for you, try the Motoring forum.

Edited by naboo

If you are financing you will be required to purchase or have 1st class insurance, that is comprehensive. The norm is 80% of the value of the car but can option to increase that for small premium increase. Some dealerships will throw in the insurance for free and some will not but give you other free options. Naboo covered the gasohol/diesel issue.

• Like 1

If you buy 2nd hand.... my advice is to buy from a falang who had owned the vehicle from new.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And for the reason why?

Are we more honest?

Is it because you can speak English?

Are we likely to make the price more reasonable

Or are we gullible to give you your money back if you don't like it.

Frankly there is no advantage buying from a farang as opposed to A blind dog.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 1

The price of used vehicles here is down 20% as a result of the new car purchase scheme run by the government, used vehicles are finally becoming more sensibly priced hence it's now a tough call whether to buy new or used, before it was an easy choice.

I agree with jackr but would put it another way that buying a used car can be risky unless if it's from a friend or a referral ( read into that as you please). I bought both used and new and had good luck but buyer should be very careful with either.

Agree with your word 'risky', which could include the car being stolen.

I had no idea they would finance us even with a large down payment. That has kept me from getting a new car for many years. Will put around some dealers next week and see what turns up.

Don't take the first comments (from the individual dealership person you speak with) as blanket. Talk to 50 dealership guys and you get 50 different responses.

I've heard of many folks who have convinced the dealer / finance company to just accept a big cash deposit then large payments to pay off the balance quickly, and with no guarantor.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with your word 'risky', which could include the car being stolen.

I thought that is what they did at Hang Dong, checking the VIN plates to ensure the car is not stolen.

What are they doing when they check the car?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks everyone for your excellent feedback. How, I have a better understanding. When I purchase, I will provide an update.

When you decide what you wantt check out the Manufacturer website., We found that the Manufacurer promotion was withheld by 3 big main dealers here so they could 'introduce' their own insurance package, and they refused to offer the deal. They lost the sale..

Good luck-everyone will have their own views but i think Nissan offer very good value-relative to others that is!