Doctors call for Thai health minister to be dumped

webfact

RALLY
Doctors call for health minister to be dumped

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

30220698-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of rural doctors and medical workers launched a rally outside Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's residence yesterday, demanding that she immediately remove the public health minister and his permanent secretary for not keeping promises.

However, Dr Kriangsak Watcharanukulkiat, president of the Rural Doctors' Society, also insisted his group were not part of the ongoing political rallies. Kriangsak led the protest.

The group called on Yingluck to get rid of Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong and permanent secretary Narong Sahametapat, saying they had not followed up on their promise to implement a Cabinet resolution to base medical allowances on a pay-for-performance principle.

Moreover, they said, the two had destroyed the image of the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation and were interfering in the administration of the National Health Security Office.

Even though the ministry responded to the society on Monday, the doctors refused to believe that anything would be done. "We give the PM seven days for an answer, and if we don't hear anything, we will return," Kriangsak said.

The group began gathering at around noon yesterday outside a Tesco Lotus store near Ramindra-At Narong Expressway, before marching to the PM's residence. The protesters, armed with whistles, a national flag and banners demanding the ouster of Pradit and Narong, only managed to set up their protest a kilometre or so away as Yingluck's home was being guarded by 500 police.

Meanwhile, Dr Thapanawong Tangurai, vice-chairman of the Federation of Healthcare Work-force of Thailand, slammed the Rural Doctors Society for its behaviour, saying it was not appropriate to hold a demonstration outside the PM's home as it violated her basic rights as a citizen. He also said it was not the right time to talk about allowances.

"I agree with them, but this is not the right time or place," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-27

Jeez Louise! As if poor little Yunglick doesn't have enough probs

But I reckon she'll be OK 'cause "The protesters, armed with whistles, a national flag and banners demanding the ouster of Pradit and Narong, only managed to set up their protest a kilometre or so away as Yingluck's home was being guarded by 500 police".

500 cops??? Holy Moly! Now that's some protection...

Jeez Louise! As if poor little Yunglick doesn't have enough probs

But I reckon she'll be OK 'cause "The protesters, armed with whistles, a national flag and banners demanding the ouster of Pradit and Narong, only managed to set up their protest a kilometre or so away as Yingluck's home was being guarded by 500 police".

500 cops??? Holy Moly! Now that's some protection...

Yes, no wonder the mobs can breeze into any ministry they fancy, when the cops are all holed up at Yingluk's gaff shooting the breeze......w00t.gif

its not the right time said brown nose..its never been a better time me feels..people appear to becoming braver...bit by bit it eats away at her...she could have a breakdown if shes not careful.i for one dont want that to happen but maybe if she could take her head out of the sand.and try to be real..... is this really happening.tackers told me i was the best pm in the whole of the world..mmmm i know i,ll bugger off to north korea.they wont boo me there...w00t.gif

"Meanwhile, Dr Thapanawong Tangurai, vice-chairman of the Federation of Healthcare Work-force of Thailand, slammed the Rural Doctors Society for its behaviour, saying it was not appropriate to hold a demonstration outside the PM's home as it violated her basic rights as a citizen. He also said it was not the right time to talk about allowances.

"I agree with them, but this is not the right time or place," he said."

So, demonstrating outside the home of a PM violates her/his basic rights? K. Abhisit will be happy to hear this.

Not the right time or place? Pray tell, when will be convenient for you, dear Dr. Thapanawong? Next year March, never ever?

• Like 1

Almost like a cat and mouse. Promise something in the future, delay. delay, delay, see what the reaction is, give a little

then promise something in the future again, see how that goes with all the delays you can. Then replace those in charge

and say negotiations have to start over again. Repeat as is necessary.

Theres a lot more behind going on in the Health Ministry then what we see.

The current Health Minister was instated by the YL government and is not implementing policies that benefit both workers in the health force nor the health of the general population. Many of his policies are meant to centralize the Health ministry's power and control over budgets when in actuality he should be decentralizing budgets and allowing rural and provincial hospitals the opportunity to develop their primary and secondary care services according to the epidemiological and socio-economic factors of their respective regions. The RDS make up the bulk of primary care physicians who sacrifice the comfort of city based practice and higher income to help the less fortunate. They should be applauded. For them to get up and vent their dissatisfaction means something really stinks at the Ministry of Public Health.

Edited by smileydude