Car Passport

Totster

Hi Totster, I renewed mine last week in Mukdahan, the cost was 75 baht. Long time no see.

Hiya !

Thanks for the reply, I did mine today which cost bt255 which included the romanised plates. As they will take 3 weeks to arrive will I have any trouble using the Thai ones for a trip next week ?

I'll try and pop by if I have time ! thumbsup.gif

Cheers

totster :)

Hi DH77 and Totster

I too am very interested to know how to go about getting a 'car passport ' as I am based in Mukdahan. I have all the registration docs, 5 year driving licence and insurance for my CRV. I could try searching online but as I saw your post I thought I would be cheeky and ask for your advice first. I would be grateful for any input you could spare the time to give. Hope I am not wasting your time

Thanks

Hi DH77 and Totster

I too am very interested to know how to go about getting a 'car passport ' as I am based in Mukdahan. I have all the registration docs, 5 year driving licence and insurance for my CRV. I could try searching online but as I saw your post I thought I would be cheeky and ask for your advice first. I would be grateful for any input you could spare the time to give. Hope I am not wasting your time

Thanks

Just pop along to your local Land Transport Office (same place as you got your license) and apply there. It took 15mins in all.

totster :)

Seems like some LTO's do it differently we used Mukdahan a few months back for a trip to Savanakhet and it was 75baht but we were only given the passport and a couple of sticky Thai stickers but no number plates, wonder if that is down to the country you are visiting's requirements either way Mukdahan where very quick and easy and the other plates where not required to get into Laos

• Like 1

Hi Totster, I renewed mine last week in Mukdahan, the cost was 75 baht. Long time no see.

Hiya !

Thanks for the reply, I did mine today which cost bt255 which included the romanised plates. As they will take 3 weeks to arrive will I have any trouble using the Thai ones for a trip next week ?

I'll try and pop by if I have time ! thumbsup.gif

Cheers

totster smile.png

I have heard of people being pulled over and fined for not having the plates with english letters while driving in Lao but of course if you drive with these plates on the car in Thailand the police may pull you up and fine you here for not having Thai lettering, crazy isn't it. On the front of my car i have my Aussie plate, DJH-77 as well as my Thai plate. When i have been stopped in Lao on 2 occasions by police and asked what is this plate. So i tell them it is Australian and they have been happy with that and tell me to go. Same story as here really, if they don't understand they just accept it as it has english letters.

Hi DH77 and Totster

Thanks

Just pop along to your local Land Transport Office (same place as you got your license) and apply there. It took 15mins in all.

totster smile.png

When you get the passport and go to the bridge for the first time take all the car paperwork with you also, they will won't proof that the car is not under finance and then they will enter everything on the computer. From then on you only need the passport for future crossings.