Cataract replacement in Isaan

Pormax

I need a cataract operation fairly urgently.

I had one before in Bangkok about 5 years ago but due to the travelling distance and problems in Bangkok at the moment

I do not wish to travel down there.

Any suggestions of where I can get this done. I live in the province of Buriram.

Also anyone has an idea of up to date costs.

I have just been down to the Rutnin eye hospital this week in Bangkok for a check up and found no problems at all. Travelling between Don Muang airport and the hospital location was without any drama at all. I also had concerns before I travelled down this week about disruptions but there was no problems at all. Sorry that I didn't answer your question but I thought I would let you know of my experience this week.

Thanks 'GinBoy2'.

Korat is not too far away (about 90 minites drive)

Would appeciate if you could give name of hospital your mother-in-law went too.

Any idea of costs?

Found it not easy to get phone number of hospitals on the web.

As I worked 8 years in ophthalmological sales and had a lot of insight into practices (and even done a training cataract replacement on a dead pigs eye myself) I would recommend not to go to just any hospital which does it, but to one where it is done every day or at least every other day.

With the every days routine you can be sure to get a surgeon which also can handle exceptional states which might occur in any surgery.

Due to the shortness of the surgery they can do like 20 per surgeon a day but mostly limit themselves to around 12-15 as there might come cases with complications. And with this frequency you can get a routine that guarantees everything goes supersmooth!

I wish you all the best and always good eyesight!

Derk

As I worked 8 years in ophthalmological sales and had a lot of insight into practices (and even done a training cataract replacement on a dead pigs eye myself) I would recommend not to go to just any hospital which does it, but to one where it is done every day or at least every other day.

With the every days routine you can be sure to get a surgeon which also can handle exceptional states which might occur in any surgery.

Due to the shortness of the surgery they can do like 20 per surgeon a day but mostly limit themselves to around 12-15 as there might come cases with complications. And with this frequency you can get a routine that guarantees everything goes supersmooth!

Derk

Thanks Derk,

Appreciate your input.

I have every intention of going to a hospital/clinic that has a department that does these operations on a regular basis.

I know there are many places in Bangkok as I had one done there about 5 years ago when living in Pattaya but I was hoping

to find somewhere that is recommended nearer to home. i don't fancy the 4+ hour journey to Bangkok and then the drive back after

the operation. My wife can drive, has her licence, but not experienced enough to drive in Bangkok.

Derk

Thanks Derk,

Appreciate your input.

I have every intention of going to a hospital/clinic that has a department that does these operations on a regular basis.

I know there are many places in Bangkok as I had one done there about 5 years ago when living in Pattaya but I was hoping

to find somewhere that is recommended nearer to home. i don't fancy the 4+ hour journey to Bangkok and then the drive back after

the operation. My wife can drive, has her licence, but not experienced enough to drive in Bangkok.

You do know I am sure it is not a good idea to FLY after the surgery for a week or so. It is possible bubbles could expand quickly at altitude.

In Buriram town you have an eye clinic at Thani Road not far away from the Bamboo Bar direction to the bus station. I guess it is the same doctor as the one at Buriram Hospital and at Buriram Private Hospital. He is OK and speaks some English. His price for a cataract replacement is 20000 bath (thai and farang).

In Korat there is an eye clinic at St. Mary Hospital. About the same price.

My MIL has been troubled with her eyesight for years. Eventually we persuaded her to go to Buriram hospital after being referred from the local hospital. They examined her and then said she had to wait four weeks because of the backlog. Obviously Buriram Hospital deals with many such operations. Give it a try, just around the corner, gawd alone knows what's going to happen in BKK over the next few days/weeks.