money in whose account?

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)
(2) Proof of family relationship
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.
(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

• Like 1

400.000 in your name if marrying a Thai or 800,000 in your name if your marrying a farang I have never understood why it is double for a farang wife as I would put my life on it that a Thai wife would spend a lot more all those i know who are married to thais always moan at the amount they spend.

400.000 in your name if marrying a Thai or 800,000 in your name if your marrying a farang I have never understood why it is double for a farang wife as I would put my life on it that a Thai wife would spend a lot more all those i know who are married to thais always moan at the amount they spend.

The 800.000 is for retirement extension not for marriage extension.

You can not get it for marrying a falang.

Hello,

If the OP is still in his country of origin, it's much easier to get a Non-O, multiple entry, based on your marriage to a Thai. This on the other hand is only possible at a Thai consulate, not the Thai embassy.

Then you'll have to exit Thailand every 90 days, which isn't a problem as you'll get a Multiple entry visa for about 5,000 baht. Guess it was 125 Euros three years ago at the Thai consulate in Stuttgart/ Germany.-wai2.gif

P.S. You'll only have to show your marriage certificate, not more.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I have also had a joint account with my wife and that was accepted. The only issue that they mentioned was that the money had to have been wired into Thailand. You cannot just bring 15k usd in cash and open an account. They wanted to see proof that the money didn't come from within Thailand.

Every immigration office has slightly different policies and can change from one visit to the next. Best to call ahead.

As for getting the non o multi entry. That is what I started doing. In the long run it was easier.

You need marriage license, copy of wife's landbook and copy of her ID. At least that is what I have always had to provide.

can be a joint account with your wife, i have done it like that for the past 7 years.

For marriage to a Thai it is not allowed to have a joint according to the rules to have a joint account. Perhaps your immigration office is allowing it because you had an extension prior to the last rule change. But you could have an unpleasant surprise the next time if there was a change of staff.
  • Like 1

A single entry non-o based upon marriage should not require financial proof.

Should not or does not? I recall a post recently where an aussie guy said he had to have $50,000 AUD in the bank (in Oz) before he could apply in Oz for the "visa for the purpose of marriage" or whatever you would like to call it. I think that was in Perth, Western Australia.

Need to be careful stating that what is known or reported to happen in Thailand or on TV is gospel. The world is a big place and not all authorities of the one country apply the same standards worldwide.

• Like 1

Although I took my bank savings passbook with me, Jomtien Immigration wanted an official bank letter printout of the daily amount of cash in the bank account during the last 2 months for the visa extension one year.

It should go without saying, that the money really must not drop below 400,000 Baht not even for one day during the 2 months before the visa application, so I would suggest opening a holding account in your name just for this purpose with substantially more than 400K just in case you are subject to nefarious bank charge withdrawals on that account for some reason or another ... and using another 'un-linked' account in another bank for daily fund movements/ATM withdrawals etc.

Just a thought wai2.gif

Only in your name !!! I would not recommend having a joint account in Thailand .

Generally Immigration officers prefer you to have income in excess of Bt40,000 per month , rather than Bt400,000 deposited in your personal account .

A marriage visa involves putting together many documents every year for your annual visa extension . I would recommend a retirement visa if you are over

50yrs . Bt400,000 deposited 2/3 months before your renewal , plus showing annual income of more than Bt40,000 will qualify you for the retirement visa .

I am married to a Thai professional school teacher , who is a person to be trusted with money . I would still say keep your capital in your own country ,

give your wife some money every month , say Bt10,000 or Bt20,000 , what you can afford and keep close control on your account . A joint account would empty in no time !!!

The Baht 800,000 is for a retirement extension. The Baht 400,000 has nothing to do with the spending habits of a Thai woman nor does the Baht 800,000 have anything to do with ensuring that the farang is comfy during his stay.

They want long term expats who have the resources and who are likely to spend a reasonable amount while living in Thailand rather than economic refugees who think they can make do on Baht 5000 a month and who do not make much of a contribution to the economy. The Baht 400,000 is meant to be a compassionate concession to those who are providing support to a Thai wife and possibly children.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Only in your name !!! I would not recommend having a joint account in Thailand .

Generally Immigration officers prefer you to have income in excess of Bt40,000 per month , rather than Bt400,000 deposited in your personal account .

A marriage visa involves putting together many documents every year for your annual visa extension . I would recommend a retirement visa if you are over

50yrs . Bt400,000 deposited 2/3 months before your renewal , plus showing annual income of more than Bt40,000 will qualify you for the retirement visa .

I am married to a Thai professional school teacher , who is a person to be trusted with money . I would still say keep your capital in your own country ,

give your wife some money every month , say Bt10,000 or Bt20,000 , what you can afford and keep close control on your account . A joint account would empty in no time !!!

Immigration not care about what type of financial proof you use as long it is properly documented.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. There are non-o visas or extensions of stay based upon marriage.

The requirements for an extension of stay (not a visa) for retirement is 65k baht income or 800k baht in the bank or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

For an extension of stay based upon marriage the requirements are 40k baht income or 400k in the bank for 60 days.

I disagree with your generalized comments about Thai wives. My wife of 12 years is quite frugal.

Don't tar all Thai wives with the same brush. My wife and I have had joint accounts in the UK and Thailand for many years, containing substantial amounts and my wife is as thrifty, if not more so, than me. It's all about the individual and if I didn't trust my wife enough [or she me!] to have a joint account with her then I would have never have married her in the first place.

• Like 1