ZX14-R Ohlins edition

Ninja4me

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder how these guys with Harley's get away with it whistling.gif

Don't get much hassle is CNX.

When I spent time around Pattaya got many fines - 1000 baht at a time.

Got to the point where I would not stop if I thought I could get away.

• Like 1

Hi Ninja4me, I currently have a 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic. I considered both the Ninja 1000 and the ZX-14R, I coudn't resist the 14 smile.png I'm 63 now and from England. I hope I'm old enough and wise enough to treat this beast with respect. I've fitted Helibar risers already and have ordered some Genmar risers from Ebay in the UK. I'll pick them up in June when I go back for a couple of weeks. The plan is to double stack Heli + Genmar, according to some posts on the ZX-14 Forum this can be done with no new cables necessary. I've only done around 100 kilos so far to Nong Khai and back. I'm itching to get out again but the water throwing just now is putting me off. Does anyone know where I can get the longer set screws required for a double stack set up?

Hi Ranshoko. Nice picture - love it. I was also looking into stacking helibar and genmar raisers, but ended up with only the genmars (wich I love very much).

I am quite sure that I have read that the original lines can be used with both raisers stacked. As I remember all you need to do is to cut the strips that hold the lines, tighten them up and restrip. That should give the extra length needed.

For me however, the extra 1"25' rise that the genmar gives is plenty. The longest single trip I have done is 3000 km (Hua-Hin - Nakorn Ratchasima - Mukdahan - Kalasin - Loei - Phitsanolook - Hua-Hin) with my wife on the pillion seat and with luggage, and it was no problem at all doing 500-600 km a day.

One piece of advice though. If you use raisers you should also get a higher windscreen. The one I have is the original kawa spoiler screen and I can only recommend it. Also if you choose to remove the pillion seat cover, make sure your passenger do not ride with high heels or you will get your exhaust scratched.

By the way. The akra slip-ons do come with a certificate that proves that they are EC/EPA approved (street legal/below 80db). So you can have something to show the BIB in case they object to the exhaust. Off course it is only valid if you also install the mufflers and the cat's and not use them with a full system - but I doubt that the BIB will be able to check that. I plan on getting the certificate officially translated when I get there. If anybody would like a copy just let me know.

• Like 1

Hi Ninja4me, I currently have a 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic. I considered both the Ninja 1000 and the ZX-14R, I coudn't resist the 14 smile.png I'm 63 now and from England. I hope I'm old enough and wise enough to treat this beast with respect. I've fitted Helibar risers already and have ordered some Genmar risers from Ebay in the UK. I'll pick them up in June when I go back for a couple of weeks. The plan is to double stack Heli + Genmar, according to some posts on the ZX-14 Forum this can be done with no new cables necessary. I've only done around 100 kilos so far to Nong Khai and back. I'm itching to get out again but the water throwing just now is putting me off. Does anyone know where I can get the longer set screws required for a double stack set up?

Hi Ranshoko. Nice picture - love it. I was also looking into stacking helibar and genmar raisers, but ended up with only the genmars (wich I love very much).

I am quite sure that I have read that the original lines can be used with both raisers stacked. As I remember all you need to do is to cut the strips that hold the lines, tighten them up and restrip. That should give the extra length needed.

For me however, the extra 1"25' rise that the genmar gives is plenty. The longest single trip I have done is 3000 km (Hua-Hin - Nakorn Ratchasima - Mukdahan - Kalasin - Loei - Phitsanolook - Hua-Hin) with my wife on the pillion seat and with luggage, and it was no problem at all doing 500-600 km a day.

One piece of advice though. If you use raisers you should also get a higher windscreen. The one I have is the original kawa spoiler screen and I can only recommend it. Also if you choose to remove the pillion seat cover, make sure your passenger do not ride with high heels or you will get your exhaust scratched.

By the way. The akra slip-ons do come with a certificate that proves that they are EC/EPA approved (street legal/below 80db). So you can have something to show the BIB in case they object to the exhaust. Off course it is only valid if you also install the mufflers and the cat's and not use them with a full system - but I doubt that the BIB will be able to check that. I plan on getting the certificate officially translated when I get there. If anybody would like a copy just let me know.

Ninja4me - thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I appreciate your advice and note your comments. Your 3,000 km trip is very impressive. I'll be off to Loei in a couple of weeks (on my Vulcan) I have some friends there. Look forward to corresponding with Rubber, yourself and others in future.

^^

I think the best you can hope for is that your exhaust is quiet enough to cruise past a checkpoint without arousing interest- I believe if an aftermarket exhaust doesn't have a TIS stamp on it, it's not legal for use on Thai roads regardless of what the manufacturer claims or the actual dB output of the exhaust (it's the same in the US and EU). Having some paperwork to show a cop wouldn't hurt, and if they have a decibel-meter you might pass, but if they want 'tea money' you're probably gonna end up paying it.;)

When I see a cop I pull in the clutch and coast by, and haven't had an issue yet- my exhaust is quiet enough to qualify for a TIS stamp, but it doesn't actually have one.

• Like 2

^^

I think the best you can hope for is that your exhaust is quiet enough to cruise past a checkpoint without arousing interest- I believe if an aftermarket exhaust doesn't have a TIS stamp on it, it's not legal for use on Thai roads regardless of what the manufacturer claims or the actual dB output of the exhaust (it's the same in the US and EU). Having some paperwork to show a cop wouldn't hurt, and if they have a decibel-meter you might pass, but if they want 'tea money' you're probably gonna end up paying it.wink.png

When I see a cop I pull in the clutch and coast by, and haven't had an issue yet- my exhaust is quiet enough to qualify for a TIS stamp, but it doesn't actually have one.

Thanks for your advice. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

^

The Yoshimura R-77 slip-ons are sold directly through Thai Kawasaki dealerships, so they must be TIS-approved- they're also a nice option.

They also come in CF, but I don't know if they're available without you're having to bring them in yourself (which would be cheaper if you can fly them over in your luggage):

yoshimura_r77_cap_zx14_kawasaki_zx14_r20

Edited by RubberSideDown

^^

I think the best you can hope for is that your exhaust is quiet enough to cruise past a checkpoint without arousing interest- I believe if an aftermarket exhaust doesn't have a TIS stamp on it, it's not legal for use on Thai roads regardless of what the manufacturer claims or the actual dB output of the exhaust (it's the same in the US and EU). Having some paperwork to show a cop wouldn't hurt, and if they have a decibel-meter you might pass, but if they want 'tea money' you're probably gonna end up paying it.wink.png

If you exhaust is under 95 db it might also be an idea to get one of the numerous db apps available for your smartphone. That way you can show the db output (remember 0,5 meter@45 degree angle) as an answer to the "too loud" claim from the BIB.

But... as said by others. If they want tea money they will find something.

^^

If you exhaust is under 95 db it might also be an idea to get one of the numerous db apps available for your smartphone. That way you can show the db output (remember 0,5 meter@45 degree angle) as an answer to the "too loud" claim from the BIB.

But... as said by others. If they want tea money they will find something.

If they want money, they will always find something... unless you really know your way around and speak great thai... The best is to avoid them altogether.

So far I have not been stopped and I hope it stays like that... So many big chekpoints in bangkok since the protests started.

When I pass by one of them I just hold the clutch and cost by, but if there is traffic and I need to accelerate I there is some RPM range that is not too loud.

(CB500F slip on without DB-killer)

I always hear about riders getting grief by the BIB down south. Up here in Chiang Rai & surrounds, all I get is big smiles and thumbs up. One in awhile an ID / License check, but that's about it. And trust me, my 999S with full Termi race system is no purring kitten. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

Not all Ohlins are equal some are the good expensive ,and some are Ohlins cheap versions that are not any better than Big Piston Kayabas or top end Showas .which one will the ZXR14 have ????

I have to agree, as a buddy of mine bought a 2010 ZX10R and the Ohlins damper was non functional. Didn't matter where you clicked it, there was no change in dampening effect or rather any effect at all. I have the exactly the same damper on my 999S and every click you can feel more resistance in the steering. Rumor has it that Kawasaki did it on purpose to stop boy racers with no experience setting the damper too stiff and not be able to negotiate the bike on normal roads. Don't get me wrong, the 2010 ZX10R is a good handling bike without a steering damper. My Ducati has street settings & track settings, which is roughly about 30% difference in damping.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

It's the TTX-39 rear shock- it was originally developed for the R1200GS so it's more sport-touring than sport- it's not the shock I'll choose when I upgrade my suspension (I'll be doing the forks as well), but I wouldn't swap it out if my bike came with it- it's a $1500 piece of equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

post-137732-0-88630700-1398916585_thumb.post-137732-0-71435900-1398916647_thumb.

Attached are pictures of Steering Damper I've had fitted. Note the spacer to accommodate the Helibar risers

I've only done around 70 kms on this bike, however, I've come to the conclusion I will never get used to the riding position. Too far forward for me because I am used to cruiser type bikes, I want to sell it and get another cruiser maybe Harley, Victory or Triumph. The bike is only a few weeks old and currently under wraps inside the house where I live in Udon Thani. If anyone is interested in buying the bike please contact me on the following email address - [email protected]

All reasonable offers considered.

attachicon.gifHyper Pro Steering Damper for ZX14R.jpgattachicon.gifZx14R Steering Damper.jpg

Attached are pictures of Steering Damper I've had fitted. Note the spacer to accommodate the Helibar risers

I've only done around 70 kms on this bike, however, I've come to the conclusion I will never get used to the riding position. Too far forward for me because I am used to cruiser type bikes, I want to sell it and get another cruiser maybe Harley, Victory or Triumph. The bike is only a few weeks old and currently under wraps inside the house where I live in Udon Thani. If anyone is interested in buying the bike please contact me on the following email address - [email protected]

I'm offering the bike at Baht 750,000.

attachicon.gifHyper Pro Steering Damper for ZX14R.jpgattachicon.gifZx14R Steering Damper.jpg

I'm offering the bike at Baht 750,000.

man, very very good price.

If i did not buy my new bike a month ago, i might be interested in this offer.

it is the dream sport tourer for me.

• Like 1

That's a great price- I was thinking you'd ask around 800K. If I didn't already have one, I'd be seriously considering yours.smile.png

Try offering it on the ZX14 Thailand FB page.

Thanks for the advice Rubber

Did you play with the rearset as well?

I am sure you can find an upright handlebar or higher risers and a milder adjustable rearset and these can keep you more upright and comfy. No?