ZX14-R Ohlins edition

Ninja4me

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have already been answered but I'm being lazy today. Is the thai imported version going to be a restricted, asthmatic shell of a bike?

Nope- it's USA-spec- I had a look at the stock ECU map before reprogramming mine and compared it to the US, Australia, EU, etc (I have all the stock maps on file)- it's the same- dyno tests of 14Rs in Thailand bear this out.

I don't think there's a restricted version of this bike made for for any market- there's not a domestic model for sale in Japan- if you live there and want one, you have to buy it as an import.;)

• Like 2

This may have already been answered but I'm being lazy today. Is the thai imported version going to be a restricted, asthmatic shell of a bike?

Nope- it's USA-spec- I had a look at the stock ECU map before reprogramming mine and compared it to the US, Australia, EU, etc (I have all the stock maps on file)- it's the same- dyno tests of 14Rs in Thailand bear this out.

I don't think there's a restricted version of this bike made for for any market- there's not a domestic model for sale in Japan- if you live there and want one, you have to buy it as an import.wink.png

I'll honestly think about buying one if that is the case. The one I rode in the Middle East was a monster on the highway :)

Which exhaust are you putting on it?

Most likely akrapovic slip on's. That is what Kawasaki is using for the SE edition on other markets, and I guess that they will be availablle in Thailand. As I remember you are using Brocks ? I will be more than happy to hear if you have recomendations. The only thing I don't want is a loud one - but I would like to loose some of the weight and size from the originals.

Which exhaust are you putting on it?

Most likely akrapovic slip on's. That is what Kawasaki is using for the SE edition on other markets, and I guess that they will be availablle in Thailand. As I remember you are using Brocks ? I will be more than happy to hear if you have recomendations. The only thing I don't want is a loud one - but I would like to loose some of the weight and size from the originals.

Well, it's an easier way to go, but you'd drop more weight with a full system, especially a single-sided set-up. You won't need a PC-V with slip-ons, but you won't see much of a power gain unless you change the header (don't believe the numbers any site puts up for its slip-ons or full systems, but you would get a better increase- maybe 10hp- with swapping out everything). If you don't want it too loud, you'll end up using the baffles, which are even more restrictive. I've got the Brock's QuietKore CT Single- he also makes a dual system- it conforms to SAE J2825 dBA standards, but it sounds great. It's a hassle getting it to LOS, but it's worth it, IMHO- the single is $1900 and the dual is $2500 (the QuietKore system adds $100 per can, but no baffles are required and it will dyno within a couple hp of a significantly louder system)- you'll also need a PC-V loaded with Brock's map, which is another $350.

The Akra full dual system is also an excellent choice.

Don't think, 'It's got enough power- I don't need any more'- the ECU needs to be flashed to increase mid-range, and if you chose a 14R to start with, obviously unleashing every pony will be of interest to you- Kawi neutered it a bit (not much, but a little;)) to protect us from ourselves (safety mode, not very aggressive secondary throttle plate opening sequence, etc)- the bike responds really well to a few tweaks.

• Like 1

Well, it's an easier way to go, but you'd drop more weight with a full system, especially a single-sided set-up. You won't need a PC-V with slip-ons, but you won't see much of a power gain unless you change the header (don't believe the numbers any site puts up for its slip-ons or full systems, but you would get a better increase- maybe 10hp- with swapping out everything). If you don't want it too loud, you'll end up using the baffles, which are even more restrictive. I've got the Brock's QuietKore CT Single- he also makes a dual system- it conforms to SAE J2825 dBA standards, but it sounds great. It's a hassle getting it to LOS, but it's worth it, IMHO- the single is $1900 and the dual is $2500 (the QuietKore system adds $100 per can, but no baffles are required and it will dyno within a couple hp of a significantly louder system)- you'll also need a PC-V loaded with Brock's map, which is another $350.

The Akra full dual system is also an excellent choice.

Don't think, 'It's got enough power- I don't need any more'- the ECU needs to be flashed to increase mid-range, and if you chose a 14R to start with, obviously unleashing every pony will be of interest to you- Kawi neutered it a bit (not much, but a little;)) to protect us from ourselves (safety mode, not very aggressive secondary throttle plate opening sequence, etc)- the bike responds really well to a few tweaks.

Thank's for a very usefull reply. You're obviously much more experienced about this than I am. ECU flash, plate opening sequence and stuff like that is not something I have ever worked with before.

So if have some time to spare someday I would be happy to buy you a beer and look tweak posibilities on the 14.

Edited by Ninja4me

There aren't too many people who know more about setting up the second-gen 14R in Thailand than I do- this has a lot to do with lack of info in English, and scarcity of aftermarket parts in LOS (also, it took months to get my bike delivered, and I researched it thoroughly while I waited)- if you're interested in a particular aspect and I know something helpful, just let me know.;)

• Like 1

There aren't too many people who know more about setting up the second-gen 14R in Thailand than I do- this has a lot to do with lack of info in English, and scarcity of aftermarket parts in LOS (also, it took months to get my bike delivered, and I researched it thoroughly while I waited)- if you're interested in a particular aspect and I know something helpful, just let me know.;)

I meant to ask, how is the engine cooling coping with peak hour, stop & go traffic?

There aren't too many people who know more about setting up the second-gen 14R in Thailand than I do- this has a lot to do with lack of info in English, and scarcity of aftermarket parts in LOS (also, it took months to get my bike delivered, and I researched it thoroughly while I waited)- if you're interested in a particular aspect and I know something helpful, just let me know.wink.png

I meant to ask, how is the engine cooling coping with peak hour, stop & go traffic?

Hehe- that quote sounds kind of arrogant upon reading it again, but it's true- I see so little knowledge of the bike on Thai websites or FB pages- there's really no info here as so (relatively) few 14Rs are around- this wouldn't be the case in the US, Europe, or Australia (the places where the guys I learned from live, who's knowledge puts mine to shame).wink.png

I haven't ridden in too much really heavy traffic (which I avoid if at all possible), but on a really hot day I'll see 95* if I'm stopped or slowly riding behind a truck (with reduced airflow), but only for a few seconds- as soon as I start moving again, it drops back to ~90*, or closer to ~87* on a cooler day. It doesn't toss too much heat back on the rider, but it's not the best bike I've ridden in that sense. I don't think it would overheat, and I've never read about it being a problem from guys that ride in hot places like Arizona.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I need to ask, a poster has said the 14 exhausts are hugely restrictive, this is the fastest road bike in the world so I have read, why would anyone want to make it faster by changing the stock exhausts which I assume are part of this very fast bike!! Just asking!

I need to ask, a poster has said the 14 exhausts are hugely restrictive, this is the fastest road bike in the world so I have read, why would anyone want to make it faster by changing the stock exhausts which I assume are part of this very fast bike!! Just asking!

No one said 'hugely' restrictive- please quote accurately.

Changing the system can free up more power (there's no reason to accept the stock output, which is very high but not uncontrollable)- the bike responds very well to the increase, and the 30lbs you can drop (from the 585ib stock weight) makes a huge difference as far as lower-speed manuverability goes.

I'd like to one day go into the engine, do a bit of work, and put about 250hp to the rear wheel without a power-adder like nitrous or a turbo (though in LOS it would be a PITA to set up)- to me, that's the perfect amount of horsepower for an open-classer- rideable and extremely fast, but still within the limits of the bike to where the swing-arm wouldn't have to be extended and you could retain the very good (for its size) handling characteristics..

No one said 'hugely' restrictive- please quote accurately.

Changing the system can free up more power (there's no reason to accept the stock output, which is very high but not uncontrollable)- the bike responds very well to the increase, and the 30lbs you can drop (from the 585ib stock weight) makes a huge difference as far as lower-speed manuverability goes. 

I'd like to one day go into the engine, do a bit of work, and put about 250hp to the rear wheel without a power-adder like nitrous or a turbo (though in LOS it would be a PITA to set up)- to me, that's the perfect amount of horsepower for an open-classer- rideable and extremely fast, but still within the limits of the bike to where the swing-arm wouldn't have to be extended and you could retain the very good (for its size) handling characteristics..

Overly restrictive, surely this means the same as hugely? why do you want to free up more power, hasn't the bike got enough already? do you drive like a lunatic on public roads and want to be able to continue but at an even greater speed!! just asking!!

No, it doesn't mean the same thing.

You're not 'asking' anything- you're being obtuse- you're the guy who loves a bike with big power, yet can't understand why someone would want to make modifications to improve their stock bike (which is limited mostly through emissions requirements) in terms of engine output and weight. So you're saying Kawasaki made the perfect motorcycle in the ZX-14R? I own one, and I can tell you they didn't, but it can be made a lot better.

This obviously isn't the bike for you- my comments on this thread regarding mods are directed towards those that either own it or are interested in buying it.

As far as 'driving like a lunatic' goes, you're the guy who cruises at 140kph+ in minimal gear (which you don't need because you're such a safe rider...)

• Like 1

No, it doesn't mean the same thing.

You're not 'asking' anything- you're being obtuse- you're the guy who loves a bike with big power, yet can't understand why someone would want to make modifications to improve their stock bike (which is limited mostly through emissions requirements) in terms of engine output and weight. So you're saying Kawasaki made the perfect motorcycle in the ZX-14R? I own one, and I can tell you they didn't, but it can be made a lot better.

This obviously isn't the bike for you- my comments on this thread regarding mods are directed towards those that either own it or are interested in buying it.

As far as 'driving like a lunatic' goes, you're the guy who cruises at 140kph+ in minimal gear (which you don't need because you're such a safe rider...)

No I do not cruise at 140kph plus, the Forza is not capable of this speed, where did you get that from? You should do some research and quote what I actually did say! I wear minimal gear because I do not drive like a lunatic, people that wear full protective gear do!! What you do with your bike is up to you but when someone says I want to put 250bhp at the back wheels that statement should concern everyone who is going to come into contact with you on the roads, I am interested in people like you that want to increase the power output of an already very powerful motorbike!

And yes I am a very good and safe rider who shows consideration to other road users!

Edited by dogpoo

Here's your quote from the CBR500 thread- try remembering what you posted:

Thanks for the fatherly advice, I'm a bit old for a lecture don't you think!! I'm not talking about a high top speed just a more reasonable cruising speed of around 140kph, also a bit more comfort would be nice!

You don't wear gear because you're a squid- a good rider gears up for the possibility that someone will take him out- a fool thinks that his riding ability alone will keep him safe.

Yes, watch out for me- I always ride 250kph+ in traffic, the busier the better- I tend to aim for unprotected nitwits on Forza scooters because I'm jealous of their skill...:rolleyes: There are idiots out there causing tremendous havoc on their Waves and Clicks- they're the ones you need to worry about, not riders like me who know how to read the road and choose their spots.

• Like 2

I am interested in people like you that want to increase the power output of an already very powerful motorbike!

I am not the person you asked but want to say,

It is just part & parcel of a hobby.

It is a fun thing to do for many. Tinkering with a bike, car anything mechanical

can be very rewarding in itself.

Lots of folks do it & so did I when I lived in the US & had a garage.

Many folks have more hp than they will "constantly use" but that does

not change the fact that having more on tap changes many other characteristics of the vehicle

in a positive way.

Even if you do not use it in a constant wide open sense.

Thanks for the fatherly advice, I'm a bit old for a lecture don't you think!! I'm not talking about a high top speed just a more reasonable cruising speed of around 140kph, also a bit more comfort would be nice!

You don't wear gear because you're a squid- a good rider gears up for the possibility that someone will take him out- a fool thinks that his riding ability alone will keep him safe.

Yes, watch out for me- I always ride 250kph+ in traffic, the busier the better- I tend to aim for unprotected nitwits on Forza scooters because I'm jealous of their skill...:rolleyes: There are idiots out there causing tremendous havoc on their Waves and Clicks- they're the ones you need to worry about, not riders like me who know how to read the road and choose their spots.

Where does it say I cruise at 140kph+ it says I would like a bike that could easily do this, try again!! so you are Turning to insults which makes you a very shallow person! I would hate to come I to contact with you on the roads, seen people like you under many a car and on a mortuary slab!

A fool is the rider who drives too fast and thinks his skill and protective gear will save him!!

Edited by dogpoo

I am interested in people like you that want to increase the power output of an already very powerful motorbike!

I am not the person you asked but want to say,

It is just part & parcel of a hobby.

It is a fun thing to do for many. Tinkering with a bike, car anything mechanical

can be very rewarding in itself.

Lots of folks do it & so did I when I lived in the US & had a garage.

Many folks have more hp than they will "constantly use" but that does

not change the fact that having more on tap changes many other characteristics of the vehicle

in a positive way.

Even if you do not use it in a constant wide open sense.

Thanks for a sensible post, yes altering anything can be deemed a hobby!!

Where does it say I cruise at 140kph+ it says I would like a bike that could easily do this, try again!! so you are Turning to insults which makes you a very shallow person! I would hate to come I to contact with you on the roads, seen people like you under many a car and on a mortuary slab!
Again, you're an idiot- you prove it with nearly every post on this forum- you just said 140kph is a reasonable cruising speed, and now you're trying to weasel out of it. Really, your posts reflect someone who wallows in ignorance.

Karma often comes to people who posted like you just did above- between the two of us, I'm the one who rides prepared for an accident- you ride with a 200 baht helmet and (I'm guessing) a lucky amulet, and your amazing road skills- I'll take my chances with my style.

I posted on this thread with knowledge and helpful advice for a new ZX-14R owner- you bumbled onto it like Mr. Magoo. Sorry to screw up the thread, OP, but I can't stand fools like this guy.

Don't worry, you won't ever come into contact with me, which is fortunate for us both.

More insults from a very unintelligent person!! have I upset you? are you fragile? where does it say I have a 200฿ helmet and own an amulet? are you trying to provoke me? are you not able to stand up and argue like a man or do you always revert to the childish behavior of insults? you are very defensive when it comes to your driving which makes it obvious that you drive at high speed and wear full protective clothing to save you in the inevitable accident that will happen, I just hope you do not involve anyone else!!

Again a fool is a person that drives too fast. try not to reply with insults as it will soon become very boring!!

Edited by dogpoo

I tried to talk to you reasonably, but you're too dense to get it- there's no further point in making a real effort with someone so unbelievably clueless. You're the one who seems upset- I'm laughing at you on my end.:)

Again, only a completely worthless rider thinks gear is as valueless as you do- when some drunken or distracted driver knocks you off your bike, I hope your amulet and cheap helmet work better to keep you safe than I think they will.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

I tried to talk to you reasonably, but you're too dense to get it- there's no further point in making a real effort with someone so unbelievably clueless. You're the one who seems upset- I'm laughing at you on my end.:)

Again, only a completely worthless rider thinks gear is as valueless as you do- when some drunken or distracted driver knocks you off your bike, I hope your amulet and cheap helmet work better to keep you safe than I think they will.;)

Where does it say I have a cheap helmet and own an amulet?? I'm not upset, why do you think I'm upset? where do I say protective gear is worthless? You are digging a hole!! so you tried to talk to me reasonably and then decided to turn to insults, please explain?

I answered your initial question reasonably at least twice, and then you responded with your usual idiocy (I say 'usual' because I've seen so much of it from you on this forum), and actually came back with another post with the same question after your initial query had already been addressed, so you were looking for an argument- well, you got one- nothing seems to get through to you, you never contribute anything valuable or worthwhile, and (again) I've wasted time on you.

Your implication that gear is unnecessary if you ride at certain low speeds implies it's worthless unless you ride fast- that's moronic, and it gets really old pointing that out.

Sorry, but I think you're a complete fool when it comes to motorcycling- your posts bear that out- it's not my problem and I really should ignore people like you, but sometimes I can't help myself.

I answered your initial question reasonably at least twice, and then you responded with your usual idiocy (I say 'usual' because I've seen so much of it from you on this forum), and actually came back with another post with the same question after your initial query had already been addressed, so you were looking for an argument- well, you got one- nothing seems to get through to you, you never contribute anything valuable or worthwhile, and (again) I've wasted time on you.

Your implication that gear is unnecessary if you ride at certain low speeds implies it's worthless unless you ride fast- that's moronic, and it gets really old pointing that out.

Sorry, but I think you're a complete fool when it comes to motorcycling- your posts bear that out- it's not my problem and I really should ignore people like you, but sometimes I can't help myself.

You have implied that I own a cheap helmet and own an amulet, you keep calling me names is your intelligence limited? Where have I said gear is unnecessary if you ride at low speeds? Feel free to ignore me but you just can't help yourself can you!!

This is a good way to waste some time, cheers mate!!

Edited by dogpoo

You can't even read and comprehend your own posts- now I have to go through them and explain them to you? Do your own homework.

The 'amulet and cheap helmet' was a troll (and obviously a very effective one as it really upset you), but certainly a more gentle one than your telling me I'm going to end up on a slab- again, read your own posts before criticizing those of others- you have written a lot of complete idiocy on this thread and many others.

I'd love to ignore you, but you had to keep poking at this thread where you had absolutely nothing useful to contribute (a running theme with your posts). I have a better idea, feel to ignore me.

You can't even read and comprehend your own posts- now I have to go through them and explain them to you? Do your own homework.

The 'amulet and cheap helmet' was a troll (and obviously a very effective one as it really upset you), but certainly a more gentle one than your telling me I'm going to end up on a slab- again, read your own posts before criticizing those of others- you have written a lot of complete idiocy on this thread and many others.

I'd love to ignore you, but you had to keep poking at this thread where you had absolutely nothing useful to contribute (a running theme with your posts). I have a better idea, feel to ignore me.

lol I didn't say you was going to end up on a slab!! By the way trolling and provocation is against forum rules!

Edited by dogpoo

That was your implication.

You're too cowardly to own what you post and stand behind it- arguing with you is pointless.

Go ahead, have the last word- I'm done with you.

I'm getting to like you!!

You should really try and calm down, we have had a discussion which on your part turned into insults, this is a forum and as long as it is kept civil it does not matter if the thread deviates away from the thread title, I am not an idiot or any of the other things you have called me, I have been riding bikes for over 40 years with no problems and yes many big and powerful bikes as well, 4 yrs here and not one problem to mention, I am very experienced, I am very professional in my driving, I choose to be comfortable when I am riding that's my choice!! if you can not enter into a discussion with someone without reverting to insults you should not enter into a conversation at all!!

Edited by dogpoo