Bikes for go far.

Nervosa

Hi,

since I live in Thailand I really enjoy riding bikes. Mostly because Thailand don't have snow that stop you to ride for 6 months...

But anyway, I'm looking for a big bikes for traveling with my girlfriend.

I don't mind if the motobike is fast or not, I never really drive fast.

But I do wan't a good seat to be able to ride long time. (For 2 passengers)

A big tank to go far.

And place for put my luggages.

**And I like to ride in the mountains. I like the view. Soo, something that can ride me up with not soo much problem.

If you guys (and girls) have some suggestions, I'll be very glad to hear them.

Thank you.

Edited by Nervosa

i say a honda cb500x to do it all for cheap for you.

cb500x offers all you stated for the most reasonable price and it has good power and handling, a reliable bike.

if your budget is low, a cbr250 can do it all comfortably and you can get one for 75 k second hand nowadays.

Unless you are both of Thai stature a CBR250 is too small for comfortable touring for 2, so if you can't afford a big bike, go for a PCX150, it will take two in relative comfort, if you mod the seat and up-rate rear suspension.

But it sounds as though you need something bigger for the hills, on the secondhand front how about a chopper/cruiser, more suited to Thai roads, perhaps a Yamaha Dragstar?

• Like 1

Unless you are both of Thai stature a CBR250 is too small for comfortable touring for 2, so if you can't afford a big bike, go for a PCX150, it will take two in relative comfort, if you mod the seat and up-rate rear suspension.

But it sounds as though you need something bigger for the hills, on the secondhand front how about a chopper/cruiser, more suited to Thai roads, perhaps a Yamaha Dragstar?

Allen that's bs what you are recommending

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you have nothing constructive to say, save the batteries on HTC desire. The Kawasaki Versys is okay but not to everyone's pocket, or taste.

I am offering alternatives which I have either ridden 2 up, or have a friend who has done so, or is no one else allowed an opinion in your tiny world?

I am 6ft and my Mrs 5ft3 both average and don't fit on a CBR250 in anything that could be described as comfort, but do on my mate's Dragstar 400, which I could ride for miles in comfort, it is by all accounts ultra-reliable and although not fitted with a huge tank, is economical. A PCX is quite good too for it's size if our friend's budget is small.

• Like 1

Let's think outside the box a bit...how about two smaller bikes?

By your own admission, you do not ride fast anyway. A pair of 125s (pick your favorite brand/model) would get the job done in an efficient manner.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for these suggestions.

CBR and CB5000, actually look nice, but not for 2 peoples.

I already got a PCX. It is really good, but not for go North to South. I did Chiang Mai to Surin in PCX and it was ok..but still need a little bit more speed and it cannot go up so much and need better comfort too.

Hurt my butt alot, and it worst for the second passenger. I already changed the seat for 2 000 Baht.

I like same Phantom and Harley. But I never tried Phantom. Look nice to go for a long road, have space for luggage and the second seat look comfortable.

But i don't know if it can actually go on the big road and for long ride. I never saw people travelling far with a Phantom. Phantom look like a bike people buy more for show than for go out.

But i do see people with CBR and CB... but they were alone.

For money I not sure... I think about 200k-250k Baht. But sure I don't want to pay more than 300k. I'm not on a road trip 24 hours a day. So I don't need something more expensive than 300k.

I generally go every 3 months for 2 weeks, then come back home to work.

**I like same Phantom because my girlfriend not tall. So she cannot ride motorbike too big. But same harley and phantom, the motorbike is a little bit down. So she can touch the ground :P.

Edited by Nervosa

I am 5.9 and with my gf and stuff, i made thousands of kms comfortably at 140 kph all day with cbr250 allen.

I agree, cb500x is a good option for 214 k thb. Add some panniers or a box, it will do anything you want for you. Cheap on fuel too.

If you have nothing constructive to say, save the batteries on HTC desire. The Kawasaki Versys is okay but not to everyone's pocket, or taste.

I am offering alternatives which I have either ridden 2 up, or have a friend who has done so, or is no one else allowed an opinion in your tiny world?

I am 6ft and my Mrs 5ft3 both average and don't fit on a CBR250 in anything that could be described as comfort, but do on my mate's Dragstar 400, which I could ride for miles in comfort, it is by all accounts ultra-reliable and although not fitted with a huge tank, is economical. A PCX is quite good too for it's size if our friend's budget is small.

a 250 is way to small for a guy that wants to tour. It can be done but certainly not comfortably. I know you are deep into anchient bikes but you really not gonna be wanting to fix the sob all the time on a tour. Not everyone is skint & needs to go for an 8 year old +. Don't take it wrong & I am not saying your broke but personally I would much rather be cruising on a 650 Kawi (newer for reliability 2010 the latest or the 500 cc Honda as a minimum. You are what you drive. If you drive a roach.......Just sayin. If I tour my minimum would be a 650 just because it is comfy A Verysys would be the bees knees or an ER6n if your shorter. I really learned to hat my 500 super 4 after I got used to the power band a 250 for touring would be hella boring & touch on the ass after a while.And I have had them all Goldwings

1800 cc bikes a Victory, scores of big Kawasaki's, Haybusa 1100 Honda super 4's & many 1000 cc's including Duc's & nothing I ever own is more than 3 years old. I enjoy having a new wonderful toy to ride around in. I make sure I always have cash for my hobby. Over a 650 may be overkill here. You still want to be able to putt around in the city. I just can't ride around on an ancient bike if it runs great or not unless it has high collectors value. That & the last memories I have at the end of life will not be me denying myself the best I can afford.Sure you can tour on a 125cc bike or a Honda phantom or Kawasaki boss but why bother they are not that great of bikes. Nowadays anything with drum brakes & carbs are just a hassle & a waste of time. Not much to fix on fuel injection & Abs. Even if I were to rent scooters 2 years old tops & then turn em & get a new ride.I enjoy treating myself like a king but everyone has their own way & entitled to it. But that being said I only go long distances on touring bikes been that way since 20 years old. Even 250,000 isn't that much to have a killer ride that you cream every time you get on it.And my bikes being new never have broken down! no rust in the floats no calipers hangin up it is just easier & I am worth it. I watch so many guys up here treat themselves like refugees when it comes to what you ride. I turn a truck when it hits 1 year old also the only ride that I have old is a collectors car. It does not cost that much to up your game & ride in style. All you get to take with you in the last days is your memories why treat yourself like a lowly hoser? Just sayin.

Depending how much stuff you want to carry with you. Just over a week ago I made about 1000 km round trip on my Dragstar 400 from Korat to Thong Pha Phoom to go cave diving at Vajiralongkorn dam. I was carrying my equipment bag with me, it was strapped behind me over the rear seat and saddle bags, nothing was sticking past the saddle bags. Sure I could have taken a car for that and I got asked by my mate why I didn't drive a car, that's because I wanted to go for a ride as well and I enjoyed it. If I didn't have to carry a bag, I would have taken a Ninja instead as I like speed, but my dive bag wouldn't have fit on it or any other crotch rocket or even Versus without some extra carriers/holders. My average speed from Korat (excluding some tight places with traffic or potholes), was 100 km/h and 120 km/h on return.

Op - forget about Phantom, they're gutless and for the show off IMO. Get yourself a cruiser, up to what your budget allows. I think you'll find a Kawa Vulkan 900 in pretty good condition that will fit your budget and with this bike you'll have access to parts and service from many local Kawa dealers.

• Like 1

Depending how much stuff you want to carry with you. Just over a week ago I made about 1000 km round trip on my Dragstar 400 from Korat to Thong Pha Phoom to go cave diving at Vajiralongkorn dam. I was carrying my equipment bag with me, it was strapped behind me over the rear seat and saddle bags, nothing was sticking past the saddle bags. Sure I could have taken a car for that and I got asked by my mate why I didn't drive a car, that's because I wanted to go for a ride as well and I enjoyed it. If I didn't have to carry a bag, I would have taken a Ninja instead as I like speed, but my dive bag wouldn't have fit on it or any other crotch rocket or even Versus without some extra carriers/holders. My average speed from Korat (excluding some tight places with traffic or potholes), was 100 km/h and 120 km/h on return.

Op - forget about Phantom, they're gutless and for the show off IMO. Get yourself a cruiser, up to what your budget allows. I think you'll find a Kawa Vulkan 900 in pretty good condition that will fit your budget and with this bike you'll have access to parts and service from many local Kawa dealers.

The Dragstars are pretty nice to! I was looking at getting a new one but Yamaha in Pattaya had such a lack of knowledge & wanted 140,000 baht more for a bigger than 400 I went towards Kawi. I have ridden the Dragstars & they would be a good choice for comfort. Plenty of grunt to keep up with faster traffic & comfy on your butt. That would be my concerns for road cruising. Big enough to get out of a bad situation quickly(when needed) And soft on your ass. Even on a 2100 goldwing your ass gets sore after hours on end in the saddle. A scooter forget about it. It is capable of doing it but it won't be a trip you talk about with enjoyment but a trip you were fortunate to endure.To me on the touring end it would be agony of defeat ....something I might have done when I was 16 years old. Scooters are really better for town hops anyway or else they would be set up with side boxes like the Versys. A Phantom you definitely do NOT want to tour with It is a doulbe scooter at best rattly & uncomfy after the first 150 kilo's I had one for 2 weeks & sold it & broke even. I hated the piece of shit. Got to be Hondas worst bike they ever made. You can't even get one when they were in production in the U.S. It wouldn't sell at all. With all the good bikes in the states that would rate with a Keeway..The Kawasaki Boss was slightly better but still a very tiny bike for touring!

I've been all over Thailand with my Thai wife on a Keyway 200 superlight cruiser, it'll go at 100kmh all day & 110kmh at a push which is fast enough for here given the road conditions, Now everyone on here's going to start flaming me because I'm suggesting a Chinese Bike but I've done 16000 km in less than a year with no real problem there only 59000 Bht & handle better than a Honda Phantom while being 1/3 the price, if you do have a problem parts are easily obtainable all over Thailand, while it'd be nice if it went 10-20 kmh faster you really don't need that extra speed 99% of the time. On anything bigger than a 250 you really get whacked on insurance BTW...

Right I'll now sit back & wait for the flames to start lol

• Like 2

I've been all over Thailand with my Thai wife on a Keyway 200 superlight cruiser, it'll go at 100kmh all day & 110kmh at a push which is fast enough for here given the road conditions, Now everyone on here's going to start flaming me because I'm suggesting a Chinese Bike but I've done 16000 km in less than a year with no real problem there only 59000 Bht & handle better than a Honda Phantom while being 1/3 the price, if you do have a problem parts are easily obtainable all over Thailand, while it'd be nice if it went 10-20 kmh faster you really don't need that extra speed 99% of the time. On anything bigger than a 250 you really get whacked on insurance BTW...

why do you expect flames?

but if you want to go faster with little bit more comfort and if you are OK with Keeway brand, you can try another keeway - keeway blackster at 23 hp with a V twin, released at the motor expo and i think it is not so expensive than superlight.

post-184955-0-80404200-1385780994_thumb.

Edited by ll2

but if you want to go faster with little bit more comfort and if you are OK with Keeway brand, you can try another keeway - keeway blackster at 23 hp with a V twin, released at the motor expo and i think it is not so expensive than superlight.

ll2, are you feeling ok ? Promoting a Keeway.thumbsup.gif

Its a slippery slope from there, next thing You will be seen driving a Benelli....xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.pEtiH2upqe.webp

Edited by pokerkid

ll2, are you feeling ok ? Promoting a Keeway.thumbsup.gif

Its a slippery slope from there, next thing You will be seen driving a Benelli....smile.png

after meeting with the owner of Benelli who is a good guy, i decided not to play with others bread. if there are some people want to buy a Benelli, i dont care anymore.

i still believe Keeway is not very reliable or Benelli is not as good as Japanese brands.

Edited by ll2

A bike not for those of short stature.

Or, a bike suited to those of us heavier than 120 pounds.

Merely sitting on a bike in a showroom will show its ergonomic merits and demerits for an individual.

Just sit on the bikes you like.

Jerry.

I've seen the Blackstar & I'd agree but for the fact that it's a new model & therefore not had the, if any bugs ironed out of it. I've experience of the superlight & it's been around long enough to have had any design faults sorted out so thats why I recommended it... the reason that I didn't recommend something bigger is that for an inexperienced rider the temptation to ride too fast for the conditions on Thai roads is high plus economy, I find that the Keyway goes fast enough to get me 'out of trouble' on all but the biggest Motorways here & I try to avoid those altogether on two wheels here as being just too dangerous with all the Thai drivers thinking that they are on a race track...

• Like 1

post-63954-0-95463200-1385872712_thumb.j

Take that you Keeway 200 Superlight Cruiser rider!

Too much? Not enough?

• Like 2