Cbr650f or cbr1000r or ducati hypermotard/strada?

ll2

guys, i was at motor expo again yesterday.

removed cbr1000rr from my list. it is too much for Bangkok and possibly for Thailand. besides not cheap at 630 k and derestriction factor is also making me off as it sounds like an adventure even if the guys swear!

also removed hyperstrada from the list and keeping only hypermotard from Ducati. the ground clearance of hyperstrada is very very low and need that extra travel from hypermotard suspension departments.

so, now 499 k Ducati Hypermotard or 300 k honda cbr650f. Will get the condo anyway.

cbr650f is growing on me. It is a compact bike nearly the same size and wheelbase of cbr500r and center or gravity is very low so nearly i think will feel nearly the same in traffic although it is 15 kgs more than cbr500r.

have long time to decide now once cbr1000rr is off the list.

hehe IL2 i told you before go for the Hypermotard!! Keep your cbr500 for the city and you are fine. just follow your heart man tongue.png

hahahss. my heart has gone for hypermotard already!

if i buy hypermotard, no way i keep cbr500r. the worst part of the hypermotard/strada test ride i have done two weeks ago was sitting back and riding cbr500r after hypermotard/stradabiggrin.png

hypermotard is perfect for my city riding.

my reservations regarding hypermotard is, it is not a bike that offers full flexibility, it is like a toy - but what a toy man! - . My bike is my life so i fear hyperstrada will not be offering me the same flexibility, smoothness and reliability than a Honda cbr650f offers. I can do more with Honda although less fun. Also, seating position is still hard for me to get used to it. Still finding myself sitting on pillion seat, maybe my ass got bigger nowadayssmile.png

I like sport bike ergonomics where you tuck to the tank and where there are some space on the seat you can stretch yourself a bit and gf on the back can do the ride nicely.

In the meantime, driving dynamics, fun and excitement Ducati hypermotard offers is something Honda cannot reach with cbr650f. Looks as well and prestige are others factor favoring Ducati. But ducati glitches and service expenses are main negativeness while considering any Ducati.

I will come to a conclusion soon, i have time to decide now though as they will release honda cbr650f on March and i need to pay 295 k for it during March too so i have time to decide now which is a good thing!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These new 650 are the best value for money ever in Thailand. These bikes can do it all with a very comfy seating position and great engine. A no brainer for me.

Note; I am a hardcore Ducati (and if not Ducati, Honda) guy but the seating position of the Hypers is not for everybody. I couldn't live with it. And a race bike like a 1000rr in Thailand, no thanks!

I am currently driving my friend's cb500X. I am pleasantly surprised with that bike.

Good luck!

• Like 1

The CBR1000RR is off everybody's list- I talked to the 'big boss' today and he said all their show specials (in all three colors) were sold out over the weekend and he wouldn't even take a deposit at the current price- one the the other staff told me they'll be getting full-power versions from May, which is probably the reason for the current price- note the 'big boss' did NOT confirm this, but it would seem likely.

• Like 1

Wow theres a huge difference in all of them, from price to category. I would go for Hyperstrada, but I live in CR so traffic is not bad and I commute on distances. In Bangkok 650 or hypermotard will most likely be better. Specially motard comes with ABS and traction control.

The CBR1000RR is off everybody's list- I talked to the 'big boss' today and he said all their show specials (in all three colors) were sold out over the weekend and he wouldn't even take a deposit at the current price- one the the other staff told me they'll be getting full-power versions from May, which is probably the reason for the current price- note the 'big boss' did NOT confirm this, but it would seem likely.

Awesome, hope they keep the price the same - can't imagine the full power version costs them any more to import...

Awesome, hope they keep the price the same - can't imagine the full power version costs them any more to import...

what i know, price will not be a lot higher than 630 k for the new cbr1000rrs.

Also, what they sold at Motor Expo was 2012 models as well not even 2013 and we are going through 2014 so you pay less but you are getting a two years old model and they are show bikes which millions of people sit.

Edited by ll2

2 hondas doesnt really make sense especially similar model cbr500 - cbr650. If you have 2 bikes they should be diffrent; purpuse wise or engine wise. So if you get the honda you should sell your current one. If not keep the cbr500 for the city and get an additional fun bike which would be the cbr1000 or Hyperstrada.

II2 is like a small boy in a toy shop, he can't choosebiggrin.png

He remind me of my 4 year old son, he-he. clap2.gif

when it come to bikes, i am worse than a 4 years old kid, i confessbiggrin.png

• Like 2

Waste the money I reckon you know how easy it is to turbo charge a bike a 500cc turbo bike would leave the 1000cc cbr for dead and the engine wont need that much work heck you could richen the fuel mix with a carby in the plenum all for qauter the total of your bikes mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Waste the money I reckon you know how easy it is to turbo charge a bike a 500cc turbo bike would leave the 1000cc cbr for dead and the engine wont need that much work heck you could richen the fuel mix with a carby in the plenum all for qauter the total of your bikes mentioned.

Nonsense, the bikes from the factory comes in a trim with a output (expect the restricted CBR1000) where the manufacturer thinks it will still be reliable.

Generally motor bikes are having high outputs compared to engine size, adding a turbo is asking for trouble.

If turbo charging is the answer, how come only one or two models ever came from the factory with turbo's fitted?

Who is Thailand can fit a turbo in a bike anyway and do it so it will not brake down after 1000 km or less.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 2

Really? Please tell me how easy it would be. I know at least ten guys that have put turbos on their Hayabusas, and- even with a kit made especially for their bikes- it's a huge PITA and needs frequent tuning and TLC, and certainly can't be treated like a normal streetbike- even if you go the 'cheap' route, doing it right costs at least $5,000 (including other components that need to be upgraded- really, 5K is too low), and that's not including man-hours, and that's the price in the US.

There's one turbo ZX-12R in LOS that I know of, and it was built before being imported, and the guy who owns it knows bikes and still had a huge struggle to get it running right because there's no local support- it spends most of its time in pieces.

Nobody makes a kit for a 500cc Honda (the idea is silly as the platform isn't built to support the power- it would be unrideable, and would break immediately), so how will you adapt one to fit?

When it comes to motorcycles, if you want to big power, you need to increase your displacement- power-adders (turbo, nitrous, etc) are more trouble than they're worth.

• Like 2

Really? Please tell me how easy it would be. I know at least ten guys that have put turbos on their Hayabusas, and- even with a kit made especially for their bikes- it's a huge PITA and needs frequent tuning and TLC, and certainly can't be treated like a normal streetbike- even if you go the 'cheap' route, doing it right costs at least $5,000 (including other components that need to be upgraded- really, 5K is too low), and that's not including man-hours, and that's the price in the US.

There's one turbo ZX-12R in LOS that I know of, and it was built before being imported, and the guy who owns it knows bikes and still had a huge struggle to get it running right because there's no local support- it spends most of its time in pieces.

Nobody makes a kit for a 500cc Honda (the idea is silly as the platform isn't built to support the power- it would be unrideable, and would break immediately), so how will you adapt one to fit?

When it comes to motorcycles, if you want to big power, you need to increase your displacement- power-adders (turbo, nitrous, etc) are more trouble than they're worth.

bike makers dont like that route because of insurance companies frowning on it and some hack job getting there hands on it and turning up boost blowing the bikes engines $5000 dollars for a turbo setup crap you can get a tdo4 a o44 pump and fpr and hire a welder at $40 a day to build one a thicker head gasket lasercut for all for around $1500 all up a kehin carby will supply upto 40hp worth of gas pressurised in piping if your willing to cut costs by doing the work yourself but ahh dont dare if you dont know what youre doing and by the sounds of it you guys dont,youtube suzuki belang turbo boost at 1 bar,and thats a 135cc 200kmh top speed

90 percent ride in bangkok hell traffic but go for touring as well.

Need some status and fulfil the touring role? Then a BMW C600 Sport or C650 GT. Down payment is less than a Honda! Top speed is only 175 but in the real world that is probably enough.

You can arrive at work on a BMW and not lose out in the status stakes as it costs about the same as a small Honda cage.

If definition of touring is a weekend,or longer, away then the GT. If not, the Sport is cheaper.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

LOL, if by some miracle, you were able to attach a turbo to a CBR500 and make it quicker than a CBR100RR, the only thing left for dead would be the rider when he attempted to turn or stop.

You dont know how so leave all the advanced engineering to the experts.

i am now thinking of actually not buying a new bike, keep my cbr500r and install a small jet engine for the money i will pay for a new bikebiggrin.png

so can pass cbr1000rr and possibly go straight to hell at jet speedslaugh.png

• Like 1

i am now thinking of actually not buying a new bike, keep my cbr500r and install a small jet engine for the money i will pay for a new bikePosted Image

so can pass cbr1000rr and possibly go straight to hell at jet speedsPosted Image

Yeah thats what im talking about run it on kerosene too I remember a episode on scrapyard challenge they made a jet powered cart using a tractor turbo and it ran a 12 and a half qauter mile with after burners.

I also have a friend who owns a kerosene-fueled turbine-engined Y2K bike in San Diego- it's another tuning nightmare, and- while it has a top-speed so high it's actually not known what it tops out at- a 250cc bike can crush it off the line.

12.5 second quarter mile, huh? There are 600cc bikes that are running 10's bone-stock.

Good luck with your homemade turbo, Eddy- best laugh I've had all day.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Need some status and fulfil the touring role? Then a BMW C600 Sport or C650 GT. Down payment is less than a Honda! Top speed is only 175 but in the real world that is probably enough.

You can arrive at work on a BMW and not lose out in the status stakes as it costs about the same as a small Honda cage.

If definition of touring is a weekend,or longer, away then the GT. If not, the Sport is cheaper.

Can you explain how the down payment is less than a Honda?

The BMW C600 is 565,000 and 25% down is 141,250

The Honda CBR650 is 300,000 and 25% down is 75,000

Can you explain how the down payment is less than a Honda?

The BMW C600 is 565,000 and 25% down is 141,250

The Honda CBR650 is 300,000 and 25% down is 75,000

actually down payment for Honda is 10 percent at the motor show now so a 30 k only. After motorshow it will be a minimum of 20 percent i guess.

bmw is a good option but if it is s1000r.laugh.png

I am not good with scooters. I fall down once with a scooter while going straight with ideal road conditions - really dead straight! no turns nothing like an invisible hand turned the scooter upside down suddenly and it was a new scooter - back home for nothing, never understand that accident all my life like how that happened so dont trust scoots and i am definitely not a scooter type of guy although new maxi scooters look fine.

Edited by ll2

I also have a friend who owns a kerosene-fueled turbine-engined Y2K bike in San Diego- it's another tuning nightmare, and- while it has a top-speed so high it's actually not known what it tops out at- a 250cc bike can crush it off the line.

12.5 second quarter mile, huh? There are 600cc bikes that are running 10's bone-stock.

Good luck with your homemade turbo, Eddy- best laugh I've had all day.;)

Who said i was building one get it right a 500cc turbo bike running 20 pound boost would smoke any n/a bike and the strain on the engine would be nearly half that if its low comppresion motor hi turbo pressure the 12-5sec qauter race cart was on tv program made with scrap yard parts why do you think all the world top drag bikes have turbo setups duuhh.

Edited by stedyedy

20lbs of boost on a 500cc Honda? BOOM!!!:)

Yea sonic boom pass you.

Hehe- I'll take that bet- you'll need to turbo something with a little more meat on the bone if you're gonna pass me.;)
Simple switch to 30 pound will do it.

30lbs? Cool- it will be possible to see the explosion from space.;)

Gosh you really dont know how these things are engineered do you me and my mates are way beyond this caveman engine stuff we are trying to build reactors(dynamic plasmas in a vacuum)and cough-cough fly to the moon and back in secs but thats way over your head seen your still caught up on this stuff seriously.