Film makers sorry for lingerie-clad Thai lantern scene

webfact

Film Makers Sorry For Lingerie-Clad Lantern Scene
By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- Facing criticism from conservative activists and Netizens, the producers of the ghost-comedy film ′Oh! My Ghost′ have issued an apology over a scene in which the characters released a traditional balloon lantern attached with a set of women underwear.

The scene was criticised by many on the social network as insulting toward the culture of the northern region, the original home of the ′Yee Peng′ hot-air lantern, which is now popular in other parts of Thailand.

Mr. Natee Teerarojanapong, a well-known conservative activist, also staged a protest with his group ′Civilised Chiang Mai′ in Chiang Mai province. He called the lingerie-lantern scene a "blasphemy", since it disrespect local religious and cultural beliefs.

He called on the state censorship authorities to work harder to ensure that all cultural or traditional objects were portrayed appropriately in movies. "If any film maker would like to use any custom or tradition in their film, they should have carefully studied about the practice," Mr. Natee was quoted as saying.

Mr. Natee added, "The destruction of Thai culture is not caused by outsiders or foreigners, but it is caused by Thais who lack the consciousness of their own art and culture"

For many Thais, women underwear is seen as a lowly object.

Meanwhile, Sahamongkol Film International and WorkPoint Picture, the firms behind the making of "Oh! My Ghost” have issued an apology.

Citing that the scene may “disparage beliefs or disrespect norms and culture”, the firms, including the director, actors and crews expressed their sincere apology for not considering the issue thoughtfully, the statement reads.

In response, the crew will remove the scene from the movie, which was already released to many cinemas. However, the statement warned that the scene may still appear in some cinemas due to technical difficulties.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5UYzNOalU0TlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-30

"BANGKOK: -- Facing criticism from conservative activists and Netizens, the producers of the ghost-comedy film ′Oh! My Ghost′ have issued an apology over a scene in which the characters released a traditional balloon lantern attached with a set of women underwear."

Oh, get over yourselves.

• Like 1

Sometimes we read comments on TV that lack any semblance of respect. We also read comments of Thais deriding "farangs" correctly and sometimes incorrectly but when someone (A Thai especially)makes a genuine from the Thai heart comment please show some decorum otherwise you just add fuel to the big bag the farang fire.

"The destruction of Thai culture is not caused by outsiders or foreigners, but it is caused by Thais who lack the consciousness of their own art and culture"

• Like 1

I agree that women's underwear is a lowly object and should therefore be removed !

If it would enhance the view... yes! A cultural committee should be formed to look deep into the subject and not come up until a tasteful alternative has been reached. Volunteers willing to help lick this problem... sign up now! whistling.gif

• Like 1

What I find even more sad about this whole thing is they view womans underwear as lowly . Ok and they have violence against woman on Thai soaps and other shows in Thai TV and no one and I mean no one says anything

Thai society has a very low opinion of woman PERIOD

So sad since woman are the stronger sex and in a lot of cases the smarter ones too

• Like 2

Honestly! What about the dreadful local soapies that depict all sorts of things that go completely against the grain for Thai society - its a movie, and things in it are meant as entertainment, not education.

A society shows it has grown into adulthood by being able to laugh at itself and its customs without taking offence, by being able to understand the difference between harmless fun and actual attacks.

Does anyone really think that the actions portrayed in the movie are meant to be taken seriously? If that was the case, and such hard line censorship were to always be applied, 99% of movies the world over could never be shown for fear of upsetting or insulting someone or depicting something in a way that somebody somewhere would be offended by.

Allow the society to grow up and see the ridiculous, the fun, the sad, and the outrageous as just what it is when used in a movie - entertainment.

I don't condone graphic content depicting mutilation or such realistic horrific scenes that we have in many movies these days, but everything has to be taken in balance, and with common sense.

Oh great a farang teaching thais how to live their lives. I wonder what he would think if forigners said that about his home country.

What I find even more sad about this whole thing is they view womans underwear as lowly . Ok and they have violence against woman on Thai soaps and other shows in Thai TV and no one and I mean no one says anything

Thai society has a very low opinion of woman PERIOD

So sad since woman are the stronger sex and in a lot of cases the smarter ones too

Exactly! One of them is even the Prime Minister!

Leave the scene in the movie for Christ sake. I live in Chiang Mai and those laterns are just another way for Thai people here to make money during loy kraitong.

Many people all around the country have fun during Loy Kratong.

If you consider it just a way for somebody to make money - I feel sorry for you. Individuals like you just can't enjoy themselves, looking for cheating in any action of people around.

Make a lantern of newspaper and feel happy that nobody got your paltry 40 baht.

• Like 1

Leave the scene in the movie for Christ sake. I live in Chiang Mai and those laterns are just another way for Thai people here to make money during loy kraitong.

Leave it in or take it out. I live in Chiangmai too and laterns have to the Lanna people's a very specia andl symbolic reason for releasing them during Loy Krathong.

So what if some people are making money selling them. Since you are blessed enough to be able to live in Chiangmai maybe educated yourself on the Lanna culture.

I think you will find your statement somewhat heartless.

Yet it is perfectly acceptable to show men slapping the hell out of women in their movies (or in real life), as well as all other sorts of violence. But heaven forbid you put a pair of panties on a khom. It would be the end of "Thai culture" as we know it.