Growing small fruit trees in pots?

zeekgarcia

Hello Everyone,

We bought some miniature fruit trees and planted them in the basic black plastic pots but I just noticed that their roots have busted through the bottom of these pots. So what kind of pots can I get to replant these trees because we are only renting a house and want to take the trees with us when we move.

Thanks

Keep in mind that plants in containers need more attention. With restricted soil volume for absorbing roots, watering frequently is important. An inexpensive soil moisture meter is a good tool to avoid guess-work.

Upgrading the size of the container every couple of years can help to replenish available nutrients and increase soil volume for expanding root systems, and to avoid the development of circling/girdling roots.

post-74166-0-42672900-1386530643_thumb.j

Buy the biggest pots that you can lift. The bigger the better for tree's. And every 2 years get the tree out and if it looks like the pic above cut all the rounding roots off and keep it in the shade for a while. Those long roundgoing roots can even kill the tree. Be smart and look for pots with multiple holes. I have the ceramic ones with a dragon on them. About 200 litre i guess.

Keep in mind that plants in containers need more attention. With restricted soil volume for absorbing roots, watering frequently is important. An inexpensive soil moisture meter is a good tool to avoid guess-work.

Upgrading the size of the container every couple of years can help to replenish available nutrients and increase soil volume for expanding root systems, and to avoid the development of circling/girdling roots.

Buy the biggest pots that you can lift. The bigger the better for tree's. And every 2 years get the tree out and if it looks like the pic above cut all the rounding roots off and keep it in the shade for a while. Those long roundgoing roots can even kill the tree. Be smart and look for pots with multiple holes. I have the ceramic ones with a dragon on them. About 200 litre i guess.

Have you been able to plant the miniature mango trees in pots and get mangoes off the trees?

Have you been able to plant the miniature mango trees in pots and get mangoes off the trees?

No because i have 2 big mango-tree's and use the small ones to graft scions on the big tree's. When a small mangotree sets fruit i would pick them off so the tree has more energy to grow taller. Mango-tree's in full soil grow much taller and are maintenancefree after a year or so, no watering.

You won't get huge crops from a mangotree in a container but homegrown mango's taste much better then the ones from the markets. Also it is fun to see them grow.