Operating cost of car in Thailand

moogradod

If 4 door Vigo it is 6800 up to 5 year old. Just paid compulsory on 4 door, around 680. Don't have the exact figure in front of me.

Compulsory break down:

Sedan - 645.21 (just paid this on my Civic 2.0 and it doesn't change year to year)

Truck - 967.28

Passenger Truck - 1182.35 (Believe it means a cabbed truck)

http://www.aig.com/automobile_2112_341243.html

Also agree the 15k estimate for 1st class is much too low. I would estimate 22-25k would be closer. Road tax around 7K would be about right.

Just looked at my paperwork and I paid 645 bht in August for my 4 door Vigo. AA Insurance dealt with it. thumbsup.gif

If 4 door Vigo it is 6800 up to 5 year old. Just paid compulsory on 4 door, around 680. Don't have the exact figure in front of me.

Compulsory break down:

Sedan - 645.21 (just paid this on my Civic 2.0 and it doesn't change year to year)

Truck - 967.28

Passenger Truck - 1182.35 (Believe it means a cabbed truck)

http://www.aig.com/automobile_2112_341243.html

Also agree the 15k estimate for 1st class is much too low. I would estimate 22-25k would be closer. Road tax around 7K would be about right.

Just looked at my paperwork and I paid 645 bht in August for my 4 door Vigo. AA Insurance dealt with it. thumbsup.gif

Not clear to me their definition of truck is. Perhaps this: biggrin.png

Deca_3-thumb-448x298-100082.jpg

And this is a passenger truck?

thailand-Songthaew-truck.jpg

People and their newer cars, Bad Investment and you all know it. I have a 1990 Nissan Sunny made totally in Japan, the fells who owned it before me was restoreing it and had 250,000baht already invested in it including a paint job. He was a farang in a hurry to sell, cause of a nice job waiting in the USA, I bought it for 23,000baht, put a new CD player & speakers in, had the AC fan fixed, 2 new tires up front, auto transmission tuned up, and front side windows fixed to roll up and down nice, so I have 35,000baht invested with government insurance for 650baht a year, gets great gas mileage with a 1.4 leter engine, and I drive between 40-60 at all times in the slow lane. Gets me there and back nicely and everything works, a good investment for me!

I've had on accident 'deemed as my fault', my insurance (still under finance) last year was 32k for my 2010 4 door Isuzu Dmax (2.5L)...

Just got the bill for this year for 28k... Should I get my better half to start shopping for a new insurance company?

If so, any suggestions?

taxes: about 4000 BHT per year

top insurance: around 15,000 BHT per year

inspections: cheap . . labour is really inexpensive in Thailand . . one inspection evey 5000 km around 1200 BHT

diesel per litre 36 BHT . . check your Pajero specs . .should use 7-8 litre of Diesel per 100 km

unexpected ? flat tires, deep potholes that can derange the steering, killing dogs and stopping for them in order to be scammed of a large sum of money.

Costs for labour are actually very low, like getting car care, washing inside out, 150 - 200 BHT, as there are no drive through carwash.

retired ? Just hope you are aware of the skills it needs to compete with THAI traffic. It is a completeley awkward experience for some. . . Thaisdrive a bit different from what you might used to

Sorry I disagree slightly. With four door trucks the tax is higher as is insurance. I have a Toyota Hilux four door, which I bought when it was 3 years old, from a Toyota Sure dealer, 2 year full warranty ( negotiated. )

Annual tax - between 7,000 & 8,000 baht. Note that this annual price decreases as the motor gets older.

Insurance - 1st. class insurance from a top company is closer to 20,000 baht. Check with the provider what's covered especially where the vehicle would be repaired as in respect to where you're living. If you need panels replaced you need to be able to insist on genuine parts not paterns.

Service - I don't use my Hilux much so I have a full service once a year when I renew the insurance. Oil change, new filters etc. and everything checked @ 1,300 baht. Last sevice included new front brake pads and extra 140 baht.

I find tyres qutie expensive @ between 5,000 and 6,000 baht.

Hope this helps.

taxes: about 4000 BHT per year

top insurance: around 15,000 BHT per year

inspections: cheap . . labour is really inexpensive in Thailand . . one inspection evey 5000 km around 1200 BHT

diesel per litre 36 BHT . . check your Pajero specs . .should use 7-8 litre of Diesel per 100 km

unexpected ? flat tires, deep potholes that can derange the steering, killing dogs and stopping for them in order to be scammed of a large sum of money.

Costs for labour are actually very low, like getting car care, washing inside out, 150 - 200 BHT, as there are no drive through carwash.

retired ? Just hope you are aware of the skills it needs to compete with THAI traffic. It is a completeley awkward experience for some. . . Thaisdrive a bit different from what you might used to

Sorry I disagree slightly. With four door trucks the tax is higher as is insurance. I have a Toyota Hilux four door, which I bought when it was 3 years old, from a Toyota Sure dealer, 2 year full warranty ( negotiated. )

Annual tax - between 7,000 & 8,000 baht. Note that this annual price decreases as the motor gets older.

Insurance - 1st. class insurance from a top company is closer to 20,000 baht. Check with the provider what's covered especially where the vehicle would be repaired as in respect to where you're living. If you need panels replaced you need to be able to insist on genuine parts not paterns.

Service - I don't use my Hilux much so I have a full service once a year when I renew the insurance. Oil change, new filters etc. and everything checked @ 1,300 baht. Last sevice included new front brake pads and extra 140 baht.

I find tyres qutie expensive @ between 5,000 and 6,000 baht.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, wrong.

People and their newer cars, Bad Investment and you all know it. I have a 1990 Nissan Sunny made totally in Japan, the fells who owned it before me was restoreing it and had 250,000baht already invested in it including a paint job. He was a farang in a hurry to sell, cause of a nice job waiting in the USA, I bought it for 23,000baht, put a new CD player & speakers in, had the AC fan fixed, 2 new tires up front, auto transmission tuned up, and front side windows fixed to roll up and down nice, so I have 35,000baht invested with government insurance for 650baht a year, gets great gas mileage with a 1.4 leter engine, and I drive between 40-60 at all times in the slow lane. Gets me there and back nicely and everything works, a good investment for me!

All this talk of investment, when what you really have is just less of a liability than most :P

I've had on accident 'deemed as my fault', my insurance (still under finance) last year was 32k for my 2010 4 door Isuzu Dmax (2.5L)...

Just got the bill for this year for 28k... Should I get my better half to start shopping for a new insurance company?

If so, any suggestions?

Try Thanachart's "1 Lite" insurance - it's similar to full first class except it has a 5,000 Baht deductible. Costs 10K-15K for most models.

You suggested possibly cutting down on the coverage if costs too much, My advice would be that this might not be a wise thing to do in Thailand....especially as a foreigner and the lightly hood of being involved in an accident is high because of the standard of driving here....no matter how good a driver you yourself might think you are.

Thanks to everybody ! Got the picture. smile.png

I am driving here in Switzerland a Suzuki Swift 1 Litre engine. With 2 people on board this one just can make it up the mountains.

In TH I would need some more power - 4 people will be seated regularily.

How many km I am driving depends to some extent where we will finally stay - its the shopping tours that will make the difference plus some travel estimated at 6'000 km (?) per year. Visiting the family - well - depends where will stay, too.

Then I would need a motorcycle plus insurance in addition (theft will be a problem I believe - my wife tells me so. They might even carry the moto away on a truck. Locking does not help then). Here in Switzerland I am driving a Suzuki Burgmann 125. Has a large luggage compartment but gets a hot engine in hot weather. Nothing for Thailand I guess.

I dont hope to produce an accident deemed as my fault. However I did read that since it might be that I am "not familiar with the thai driving" (that's the official reasoning I believe) I am guilty anyway. Even if some 4 promille loaded fellow just hits me..

Edited by moogradod

^^^^^40-60KPH in the slow lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t.gif Gawd forbid I ever ran across you!!

Indeed, that's a hazard to other road users. Should have an amber flashing beacon on the roof.

Bet it annoys the hell out of heavy truck drivers having to go around him.

Driver would certainly never pass an advanced driving test getting marked down for not making normal progress.

^^^^^40-60KPH in the slow lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t.gif Gawd forbid I ever ran across you!!

Indeed, that's a hazard to other road users. Should have an amber flashing beacon on the roof.

Bet it annoys the hell out of heavy truck drivers having to go around him.

Driver would certainly never pass an advanced driving test getting marked down for not making normal progress.

Not if he was driving a Nissan Sunny.....................sad.png ........................laugh.png

<snipped>

8. Price maximum 1.3 Million new - I guess there is a hefty discount if paying cash (?)

<snipped>

You guess wrong. Generally, there are no discounts on the purchase price, but (depending on which car you buy) you can get an assortment of freebies of which free insurance is the major one. Paying cash puts you in a worse bargaining position, since the dealer makes part of his profit by the commission he gets on the financing deal.

Sophon

Thanks for this info. Other countries - other rules. I get as well an insurance if I am offered one for free. Does this include general liability ? (lets say someone with an V8 overtakes me in Warp Speed smile.png and I crash into a gasoline truck which blows up and the vicinity with it - damage 100 Million Baht - will this be covered then ?)

I regard lending money in Thailand (through whatever contract) to be very costly. Maybe not when buying a car.

Small clarification: I am driving accident free since 40 years, was previously holding a taxi license (test is not that easy to pass) and was driving a really very advanced sports car for some years......