Operating cost of car in Thailand

moogradod

Example: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, bought in Thailand new for around 1.3 Million Baht

How much is approximately

• Taxes (yearly)
  • Fully comprehensive insurance (inkl. theft with 100% coverage)
  • Yearly standard maintenance (usually part of a 3 year package included in the sales price ?)
  • current cost of gasoline and diesel per litre
  • anything else I forgot ? (Depreciation, occasional maintenance (repairs) will be considered)

Thanks for an idea. I need the estimation for a retirement budget. If too expensive I may go below - cutting on the vehicle itself or on coverage. This here is the maximum option.

• Like 1

taxes: about 4000 BHT per year

top insurance: around 15,000 BHT per year

inspections: cheap . . labour is really inexpensive in Thailand . . one inspection evey 5000 km around 1200 BHT

diesel per litre 36 BHT . . check your Pajero specs . .should use 7-8 litre of Diesel per 100 km

unexpected ? flat tires, deep potholes that can derange the steering, killing dogs and stopping for them in order to be scammed of a large sum of money.

Costs for labour are actually very low, like getting car care, washing inside out, 150 - 200 BHT, as there are no drive through carwash.

retired ? Just hope you are aware of the skills it needs to compete with THAI traffic. It is a completeley awkward experience for some. . . Thaisdrive a bit different from what you might used to

• Like 2

Thank you so much.

Cheaper as expected ! biggrin.png

As for the driving habits: I very vividly recall that moment when I was cruising with my rented chopper - while whistling "born to be wild" - around Phuket and in that sharp left curve was confronted with a car coming towards me on MY lane (and yes I DID drive on the correct side of the road). It was a police car. Fortunately I managed somehow to avoid a frontal collision.

I am warned and have travelled by car extensively throughout Thailand (although I never drove myself). However I asked for the fully comprehensive insurance for a reason smile.png

Edited by moogradod

inspections: cheap . . labour is really inexpensive in Thailand . . one inspection evey 5000 km around 1200 BHT

diesel per litre 36 BHT . . check your Pajero specs . .should use 7-8 litre of Diesel per 100 km

unexpected ? flat tires, deep potholes that can derange the steering, killing dogs and stopping for them in order to be scammed of a large sum of money.

Costs for labour are actually very low, like getting car care, washing inside out, 150 - 200 BHT, as there are no drive through carwash.

retired ? Just hope you are aware of the skills it needs to compete with THAI traffic. It is a completeley awkward experience for some. . . Thaisdrive a bit different from what you might used to

Think your figures are a bit out.

• Like 1

The insurance quoted sounds too cheap for "top" insurance. My truck at significantly less value is 20k baht.

If you were to get this moved to the motor forum you would get some definitive answers as there are many Pajero owners amongst the TV members but yes it is significantly cheaper than the west.

• Like 1

My neighbour has that car new. Sounds like a tractor and drives like a pickup. 1:11 for usage and headlightwashers for show.

The engine sounds like a 1990 dieselengine, but it has all options and is a sportsmodel. I wonder why suv's are so popular, for podholes? for floodings? for show? For the same price you drive a new Camry which drives much more comfortable.

My neighbour has that car new. Sounds like a tractor and drives like a pickup. 1:11 for usage and headlightwashers for show.

The engine sounds like a 1990 dieselengine, but it has all options and is a sportsmodel. I wonder why suv's are so popular, for podholes? for floodings? for show? For the same price you drive a new Camry which drives much more comfortable.

Sure, on ''nice'' roads....................smile.png

• Like 1

It was just an example for a car I know can be obtained in Thailand. But any better suggestions are more then welcome. I guess the motor forum is the right place. May this topic be moved (somehow) or do I have to start it all over again ?

Edited by moogradod

Think your figures are a bit out.

Just a bit?? :)

First class insurance on 1.3 mil car is over 25k per year.

Wash is 400 minimum for this size

Service is also about double.

Diesel last time I checked, around 30 mins ago when I filled up was around 30 baht

I think....Road tax is 6800

Compulsory insurance is about 680

I would guess insurance is free if you buy a new ride but if not around 25,000

Compulsory I paid a month ago or so was around 1000 baht or something

Road tax was only 1200 for Toyota champ

If 4 door Vigo it is 6800 up to 5 year old. Just paid compulsory on 4 door, around 680. Don't have the exact figure in front of me.

If 4 door Vigo it is 6800 up to 5 year old. Just paid compulsory on 4 door, around 680. Don't have the exact figure in front of me.

Thats weird smile.png

Mine is about 2 years old, compulsory through Axa and 1200 for the tax.

2 door space cab

Can a 4 door cost 4 times more? because it has more doors?laugh.png

The baht is about to crash big time (if you are thinking in your own currency) this will increase the price of oil and fuel will go up.

What diesel which has been kept at 30.01 baht goes up to hmmm ????? 40+ a litre ???? When the whole mess is unravelled.

If this happens, it would be perfect time to go shopping for almost new car for almost half the pricebiggrin.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all the indications !

May I ask an administrator to move this topic to the motors forum - and if yes - how may I contact the right person ?

Sorry for asking but I am new here.

Press the ''Report'' button on the left and say you want it moved is the quickest I think.

Thanks for all the indications !

May I ask an administrator to move this topic to the motors forum - and if yes - how may I contact the right person ?

Sorry for asking but I am new here.

Press the ''Report'' button on the left and say you want it moved is the quickest I think.

I think its already done, Metisdead did it, as per his post

Edited by lemoncake

As for the driving habits: I very vividly recall that moment when I was cruising with my rented chopper - while whistling "born to be wild" - around Phuket and in that sharp left curve was confronted with a car coming towards me on MY lane (and yes I DID drive on the correct side of the road). It was a police car. Fortunately I managed somehow to avoid a frontal collision.

Sounds about right. I heard that the powers that be stopped publishing road accident figures recently, we do have a bit of a reputation in Phuket, especially Patong Hill running between Kathu and Patong. I must have done that road around a thousand times and it still catches me out. There is usually a weekly/fortnightly death which really has ceased to be news as sad as that is.

I have a MU-7, Class One insurance is around 12,000 p/a and the porobor, which includes the required insurance is around 7,000 p/a.

SDM

PS I also have a Ninja 650, bags more fun, a little less luggage space, but the insurance is still a whopping 10,000 per year !!

Thanks metisdead - this was extremely swift. More quickly then I was able to follow ! Thanks also for all others. It is a real pleasure to be here.clap2.gif

Obviously I have to plan for up to 25K for the insurance (it must be absolutely comprehensive for a new vehicle) and around 7K for the tax and then some inspections for a bit.

It is not yet the time to get a car but my suggestion of a Mitsubishi Pajero was not really appreciated very much smile.png

The requirements are

1. Up to 7 seats (could live with 5-6) - seats inside the car I mean

2. I do not need a very strong engine, reasonable about 100hp will do but more is OK, too

3. The car must be really comfortable to drive (my sport ambitions are over)

4. It should have a bit of luxury touch inside (I like leather seats)

5. It should have a navigation system (English)

6. The luggage compartment must be reasonably big if driving with 4 people

7. If possible 4 wheel drive - but not absolutely necessary (Is this true in Thailand ?)

8. Price maximum 1.3 Million new - I guess there is a hefty discount if paying cash (?)

9. Optimized operating costs (fuel consumption, spare parts, tires ?)

10. If possible not a diesel - maybe a prejudice of older days. Provided that a diesel is not really drastically more cheaper in operations. But quite a no go is that typical diesel sound.

The market for cars in Thailand seems to be quite different from Europe. Even the same models seem to vary (A Pajero here is not a Pajero there). Thats why I am asking. Kind regards from Switzerland to all of you.

Edited by moogradod

Compulsory break down:

Sedan - 645.21 (just paid this on my Civic 2.0 and it doesn't change year to year)

Truck - 967.28

Passenger Truck - 1182.35 (Believe it means a cabbed truck)

http://www.aig.com/automobile_2112_341243.html

Also agree the 15k estimate for 1st class is much too low. I would estimate 22-25k would be closer. Road tax around 7K would be about right.

Cheaper then what OP? The taxes on purchase of any car in Thailand is off the charts and part of vehicle ownership, so needs to be considered.

If you are referring to excise tax, VAT, duties etc. The OP had already taken that into account when he quoted the purchase price of 1.3 million which will include those. The question is on operating costs after purchase which has been answered for the most part.

Thanks metisdead - this was extremely swift. More quickly then I was able to follow ! Thanks also for all others. It is a real pleasure to be here.clap2.gif

Obviously I have to plan for up to 25K for the insurance (it must be absolutely comprehensive for a new vehicle) and around 7K for the tax and then some inspections for a bit.

It is not yet the time to get a car but my suggestion of a Mitsubishi Pajero was not really appreciated very much smile.png

The requirements are

1. Up to 7 seats (could live with 5-6) - seats inside the car I mean

2. I do not need a very strong engine, reasonable about 100hp will do but more is OK, too

3. The car must be really comfortable to drive (my sport ambitions are over)

4. It should have a bit of luxury touch inside (I like leather seats)

5. It should have a navigation system (English)

6. The luggage compartment must be reasonably big if driving with 4 people

7. If possible 4 wheel drive - but not absolutely necessary (Is this true in Thailand ?)

8. Price maximum 1.3 Million new - I guess there is a hefty discount if paying cash (?)

9. Optimized operating costs (fuel consumption, spare parts, tires ?)

10. If possible not a diesel - maybe a prejudice of older days. Provided that a diesel is not really drastically more cheaper in operations. But quite a no go is that typical diesel sound.

The market for cars in Thailand seems to be quite different from Europe. Even the same models seem to vary (A Pajero here is not a Pajero there). Thats why I am asking. Kind regards from Switzerland to all of you.

If you stay on normal roads (potholes included) you probably don't need 4x4. Diesel is cheaper fuel wise, and you want a 3lt engine if your doing a lot of hill driving especially fully loaded! I got a 20000 baht discount on a new Isuzu 4x4 LS Pickup, Manual drive is better on up country hill roads! IMO

Edited by ggold

Compulsory break down:

Sedan - 645.21 (just paid this on my Civic 2.0 and it doesn't change year to year)

Truck - 967.28

Passenger Truck - 1182.35 (Believe it means a cabbed truck)

http://www.aig.com/automobile_2112_341243.html

Also agree the 15k estimate for 1st class is much too low. I would estimate 22-25k would be closer. Road tax around 7K would be about right.

22K-25K is right fir the first year, which you get for free when buying the car. After that it will go down each year as the car devalues, and as you shop around for better deals. It will eventually drop to around 13-15K after 5 years... Unless you are the cause of accidents and the car doesn't get an NCB ;)