Thailand protest leader Suthep gives PM Yingluck 'two-day ultimatum'

webfact

Thailand protest leader gives PM 'two-day ultimatum'
Jonathan Head
BBC News, Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thai protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban says he has met PM Yingluck Shinawatra and given her two days to "return power to the people".

Mr Suthep said the meeting had been held under the auspices of the military and there was no compromise.

He did not say what action would follow if the ultimatum were not heeded.

On the eighth day of action to unseat the PM, police fended off protesters who descended on key sites in Bangkok. Four people have died in the unrest.

Dozens have been injured.

The protesters had declared Sunday the decisive "V-Day" of what they termed a "people's coup".

They say Ms Yingluck's administration is controlled by her brother, exiled ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra, and they want to replace it with a "People's Council".

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25178467

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-12-02

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'auspices' well another report says 'in the presence of'. (Dictionary definition of auspices is below).

Quite different meaning and in reality very meaningful in the whole scenario.

"The protesters had declared Sunday the decisive "V-Day" of what they termed a "people's coup".

Well Mr. Head, is that a correct interpretation of what the majority / the leaders were saying? The word 'coup' has major connotations in this matter. Did the protestors say this actual word (in Thai) Mr. Head?

"They say Ms Yingluck's administration is controlled by her brother, exiled ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra, and they want to replace it with a "People's Council"."

Mr. Head you are a highly experienced journalist, one would expect that you are careful in your choice of words. Should the words be 'self-exiled ex-leader?

Definition of auspices:

Noun 1. auspices - kindly endorsement and guidance; "the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
endorsement, indorsement - the act of endorsing; "a star athlete can make a lot of money from endorsements"

auspices

plural noun support, backing, control, charge, care, authority, championship, influence, protection, guidance, sponsorship, supervision, patronage, advocacy, countenance, aegis a peace conference under the auspices of the UN

It sure did not look like "V-Day" to me. It looked more like D-Day = Day Of Distruction. Suthep is the guy that killed or gave the word to kill those peole about 3 years ago. He is doing it again.

Now theres something you dont see every day in thai politics........ consistency.

• Like 1

Well open your eyes.

This demonstraion is no more about democracy than the "burn Bangkok" demonstration. They all give lip service to words like "democracy" and "people's wishes" etc etc.

This is plain old power politics .... down and dirty.

Lets' not hear that refrain ..... "but this was a democratically elected Govt". Both sides are hiding behind the "democratic" facade.

Th e current situation is a power struggle ... plain and simple.

Edited by rogerdee123

We know what we have with the government that is in place. Do we really know what will happen when this new government were to take over. Maybe they would make all expats leave! Who knows?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

'auspices' well another report says 'in the presence of'. (Dictionary definition of auspices is below).

Quite different meaning and in reality very meaningful in the whole scenario.

"The protesters had declared Sunday the decisive "V-Day" of what they termed a "people's coup".

Well Mr. Head, is that a correct interpretation of what the majority / the leaders were saying? The word 'coup' has major connotations in this matter. Did the protestors say this actual word (in Thai) Mr. Head?

"They say Ms Yingluck's administration is controlled by her brother, exiled ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra, and they want to replace it with a "People's Council"."

Mr. Head you are a highly experienced journalist, one would expect that you are careful in your choice of words. Should the words be 'self-exiled ex-leader?

Definition of auspices:

Noun 1. auspices - kindly endorsement and guidance; "the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
endorsement, indorsement - the act of endorsing; "a star athlete can make a lot of money from endorsements"

auspices

plural noun support, backing, control, charge, care, authority, championship, influence, protection, guidance, sponsorship, supervision, patronage, advocacy, countenance, aegis a peace conference under the auspices of the UN

I think he was actually talking about the fact that the military called the meeting and presided over it.

I just gave Suthep a two-finger salute, and he can keep it for as many days as he likes. He's made Thailand look like a tinpot on the world stage again, and his actions have led to loss of life, but he is still demanding power to the people - meaning plutocrat people he is friends with. It is no different to PTP nepotism, it is just another facet of autocracy.

I was 100% behind the mobilisation of 200k+ (or however many it actually was) people for a day of peaceful marches and speechmaking and general good atmosphere with your peers. I totally /blockmode everything that Suthep did after that first day of massprotest, it is not even relating to democracy on any level whatsoever.

well more fool you for believing that Suthep has anything but his own interests at heart and is prepared to see his own countrymen die to further his own self-interest. And yes, he is just like the other gentleman often mentioned on this forum. If these ultra nationalists come to power I fear for we foreigners in Thailand. Prepare to see your assets seized if you run a small business here. Prepare to be see qualification to right of abode restricted to a few necessary aliens. The nationalists hate foreigners. We will be next

Double the meds...you're still hallucinating!

• Like 1

I have a hard time believing that the BBC persist on using that impartial ignoramus Jonathon Head to cover any Thai related story. It was sickening to see him molly-coddling Yingluck the other day through an interview that should have been asking searching questions, instead he just sat mesmerized making gentle cooing sounds, all starry-eyed at Yingluck who was wearing some sort of Geisha makeup. Preposterous.

I couldn't agree more but it goes with the territory of a very biased and left wing bbc and still we taxpayers continue to allow it to be financed from taxation.

• Like 2

The Government is showing its weakness by not throwing this thug into prison how can you have a democracy if you place people in power without elections as he is demanding. The current Government won the election and it is for them to decide when to hold the next one I would suggest sooner rather than later the people of Thailand would have made there choice once again all these demonstrations / killings does not help Thailand as a country which is very sad. The King will be celebrating his birthday this week and here we have shootings, vehicles being burnt and crazy old folls demading Government building be forcibly closed by opposition thugs

• Like 1

Suthep gives PM ultimatum before military leaders

1385949768_1.jpg
The main intersection near the Metropolitan Police Bureau. Photo: Thiti Wannamontha

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban on Sunday night gave Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra an ultimatum of two days to return power to people.

Mr Suthep told a press conference before protesters at Government House that the prime minister was given the two-day ultimatum in a meeting that took place at about 8.30pm.

The meeting was held before all armed forces leaders including Army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, he said.

Mr Suthep said the meeting at an undisclosed location was not to negotiate with Ms Yingluck. The talks were to spell out the stance of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) which is aimed at political reform by the People's Council.

The resignation of the prime minister and a House dissolution was not enough to satisfy the protesters, he said.

"There was no negotiation and no compromise," he said, stressing that it would be the last meeting between the two.

"This is the only one and there will be no more until a victory for the people,'' he said.

There was no immediate confirmation of Mr Suthep's speech, either from the armed forces or from Ms Yingluck or her office.

Mr Suthep said the armed forces also made clear their position that they stand by the nation.

"People are waiting for your decision," the protest leader said he told the generals.

He did not say what armed forces leaders were present at the meeting. Earlier Sunday, army commander Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha had called for talks between Mr Suthep and Ms Yingluck, who also is defence minister.

The meeting was the first time that the top military leaders had become involved since Mr Suthep led the rally for a month to end the Thaksin regime.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-02

Having lost every popular election since 2001, are the protesters not simply saying that: "if we can't have it our way, then to hell with this democracy thing?"

We will have a "Council" of our buddies, brothers and cousins who will "select" the government. Then, by Buddha, we will have our way! Who needs a constitution, elections and democracy, anyway???

well more fool you for believing that Suthep has anything but his own interests at heart and is prepared to see his own countrymen die to further his own self-interest. And yes, he is just like the other gentleman often mentioned on this forum. If these ultra nationalists come to power I fear for we foreigners in Thailand. Prepare to see your assets seized if you run a small business here. Prepare to be see quahlification to right of abode restricted to a few necessary aliens. The nationalists hate foreigners. We will be next

I never said I believed in him specifically. My factory setting is always extreme scepticism re; any politician. I believe in democracy, and so I supported the peaceful massprotest which is part of a healthy functioning democracy.

On the foreigners issue I think Thailand as a nation *knows* that needs all the incoming money it can get (whether they admit it or not), and any sudden falangicide action will see Thailand lose so much money overnight she will be left with nothing but her eyes to cry with.

. Although Suthep singled out Oil companies and Banks as two examples of foreign businesses meddling in Thailand's affairs, I don't believe the elite will allow Suthep to take any action against them because as you imply, they are far too important for the economy and the elite's well-being. But there is no protection for the little guy. The foreigner who has come here and invested his life savings in a business or legally bought a condo. It makes good propaganda to make the foreigner a scapegoat and we are an easy target for the ultr nationalists.
  • Like 1

I just gave Suthep a two-finger salute, and he can keep it for as many days as he likes. He's made Thailand look like a tinpot on the world stage again, and his actions have led to loss of life, but he is still demanding power to the people - meaning plutocrat people he is friends with. It is no different to PTP nepotism, it is just another facet of autocracy.

I was 100% behind the mobilisation of 200k+ (or however many it actually was) people for a day of peaceful marches and speechmaking and general good atmosphere with your peers. I totally /blockmode everything that Suthep did after that first day of massprotest, it is not even relating to democracy on any level whatsoever.

He doesn't need to try very hard "He's made Thailand look like a tinpot on the world stage again" The square faced man and the 'puppet' have achieved that without any help from anyone else.

The realm is a joke on the world stage coffee1.gif