Wearing shorts in Cambodia

Fifteen15

I arrived in Cambodia yesterday. After reading the numerous "do's and don'ts in Cambodia" websites, I'm surprised to read that in such a hot country, shorts are generally not worn by the locals.

Is it 'wrong' as a tourist to wear shorts? Baring in mind I would like to spend a lot of my time off the beaten track - away from the touristy areas. Would it be a good idea to buy a pair of jeans and wear them most of the time?

You won't have any problems at all. In Asia, it's generally respectful to wear long pants. But as a tourist, you're pretty much allowed to do what you want.

If attending an important ceremony, then long pants would be recommended. But for just cruising around, shorts are just fine.

Let's move this over to our brand new Cambodia sub forum.

Topic Moved.

You won't have any problems at all. In Asia, it's generally respectful to wear long pants. But as a tourist, you're pretty much allowed to do what you want.

If attending an important ceremony, then long pants would be recommended. But for just cruising around, shorts are just fine.

Topic Moved.

Ah sorry, didn't know there was a Cambodia sub forum.

Think I'm going to buy some jeans anyway just to try and 'fit in' a bit more. I guess I'll be needing them for the temples anyway.

What's the deal with buying clothes from the local stalls? Am I right in thinking I can try a pair of jeans on just like I would back at home? I'm guessing there are no changing rooms though.

Edited by Fifteen15

Yes, you can try clothes on at the markets, but like you said they don't have changing rooms, they will hold a sheet up for you though. Be aware that if you are a "larger" person, it will be difficult to find clothes that fit you.

As already mentioned, no problem wearing shorts here, temples or important ceremonies, etc. you should wear trousers out of respect.

No worries! Good point about the temples. Normally, they have long pants you can rent when you go in. Smaller temples don't normally have these rules.

But yes, good to have a pair of long pants just in case!!

Are you sure about that? I have never seen that in the 5 years I have been here.

Shorts are OK in town and Angkor Wat as the latter is not a working religious site. If you climb up Angkor Wat I believe shorts must now cover knees.

When I go out with my staff these days, more and more of them wear shorts.

No worries! Good point about the temples. Normally, they have long pants you can rent when you go in. Smaller temples don't normally have these rules.

Are you sure about that? I have never seen that in the 5 years I have been here.

Shorts are OK in town and Angkor Wat as the latter is not a working religious site. If you climb up Angkor Wat I believe shorts must now cover knees.

As Hanno mentioned shorts to below knee are allowed at the Angkor Geographical Park, although you will see a lot of foreigners, especially girls, wearing little to nothing as the day gets hotter. But if you go to the Royal Palace or any working religious site (Buddhist Wat/Temple) it is expected that you wear trousers. I have never noticed anywhere renting long trousers out? T-shirts and sarongs for girls, yes, but not trousers.

Just an update, today was my first day in Phnom Penh city. I've fallen in love with the place. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I accidentally ended up in a coffee shop I thought was a restaurant. I ended up ordering the nicest coffee I've ever tried, and then my first ever iced coffee which was also impressive.

I then went to the Sorya shopping centre where I think I got a bit carried away. In England, personally, I really don't like the way fashion is going so for me it's quite hard to find stuff I like there. I can spend a whole day shopping and come away empty handed. Here, although it's only cheap Chinese stuff, it's really really cheap so even treating the clothes as semi disposable it still works out pretty well. I bought some jeans, a shirt, a belt, and a hoody. I now look - although not entirely on purpose - very Asian (I have 50% Singapore blood anyway) rather than a shorts and t-shirt tourist, ofc not that there's anything wrong with that.

all my time living there and travelling there have ONLY worn shorts.

Except during the last kings funeral cermoney thta i photgrpaped.

Shorts are acceptable just about everyhwere ( including Embassies ) in Asia as long as ur not looking like some dead beat.

I was in Cambodia many years ago. I'm pretty sure at the main temple in PP I was given a sarong to cover up my shorts. In other temples I've been given fisherman pants. But most temples don't care.

Anywhere in Asia it's OK to wear shorts, but more respectful to wear long pants.

I was in Cambodia many years ago. I'm pretty sure at the main temple in PP I was given a sarong to cover up my shorts. In other temples I've been given fisherman pants. But most temples don't care.

Anywhere in Asia it's OK to wear shorts, but more respectful to wear long pants.

I do not think that is the case anymore, never seen it in my frequent visits.

Topic Moved.

Ah sorry, didn't know there was a Cambodia sub forum.

Think I'm going to buy some jeans anyway just to try and 'fit in' a bit more. I guess I'll be needing them for the temples anyway.

What's the deal with buying clothes from the local stalls? Am I right in thinking I can try a pair of jeans on just like I would back at home? I'm guessing there are no changing rooms though.

Get a pair of light weight cargo pants that have zip-off legs. Jeans are too hot.