hom much can i save on fuel?

UmpaLumpa

Hi,

at present I have a toyota fortuner 3.0 diesel auto 4*4, I drive about 100km per day so i spend about 8000 per month on fuel

I am wondering how would I save on fuel costs If i sell it and buy a CNG car or hybrid car?

Also, what car should I buy to optimize?

bear in mind that I have 3 kids so cannot to for brio-sized cars and I want automatic

so I was thinking abour Civic , Altis, not want to spend more that 900.000-1.000.000b

any suggestions apreciated

There is a hybrid Civic for little over 1mln and City with CNG for much less,but you need to have access to a CNG filling station...

Most CNG powered cars drive with 2 tanks one for gasoline and the other is the high pressure CNG tank.

Because of the very big differents in price I think you can reduce fuel costs to 4000 baht a month now

But the Thai goverment has plans to bring up the price to 15 baht a kg and then your advantage reduces

to only 8000-6000 = 2000

Edited by roadrunner300

There is a hybrid Civic for little over 1mln and City with CNG for much less,but you need to have access to a CNG filling station...

Hi, thanks for your reply

I read that it takes 5 to 8 years to start saving money on Hybrids, considering the premium you pay at purchase.

Looks like you pay 1 mill for the 1.5 engine hybrid

when you can have the same car 1.8 engine for 800,000 which runs, if I am correct, on E20

Hi, thanks for your reply

I read that it takes 5 to 8 years to start saving money on Hybrids, considering the premium you pay at purchase.

Looks like you pay 1 mill for the 1.5 engine hybrid

when you can have the same car 1.8 engine for 800,000 which runs, if I am correct, on E20

.so you already know about the initial higher costs of Hybrids and CNG installation is about 60K+ and you need to live near by the filling station,because the range isn't to graet....2.2L Ranger(or Mazda) are maybe better than Fortuner,but not by that much.....so,we are back to where we started smile.png

I don't know how old your Fortuna is but 2nd hand car prices have taken quite a hit recently ... well in the last year. Also you will take quite a hit after you have bought your new car ... so take these two facts into consideration.

Edited by JAS21

That is obviously 2.66 baht per km. My LPG truck get about 1.8-2.0 baht per km. Even at 1.5 baht / km you would save 3000 per month.

You'll have to figure out how much you would get for your used Fortuner and how much you would pay for a replacement ecocar etc.

There is no free ride!

A little bit less right foot would probably be enough?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

That is obviously 2.66 baht per km. My LPG truck get about 1.8-2.0 baht per km. Even at 1.5 baht / km you would save 3000 per month.

You'll have to figure out how much you would get for your used Fortuner and how much you would pay for a replacement ecocar etc.

There is no free ride!

A little bit less right foot would probably be enough?

you are right. the problem is: I'm always late!

thanks for your replies to everybody!

I am having a Honda city CNG and I pay in average 130 THB per filling. My average mileage for this tank is 200 km. I can get up to 230 if I drive long distance.

do CNG tanks have only a range of 200km??

Not sure. At least my one can only go that far. There might be bigger tanks, which you can have build in but Honda apparently only offers this option.

I am having a Honda city CNG and I pay in average 130 THB per filling. My average mileage for this tank is 200 km. I can get up to 230 if I drive long distance.

Depends on the car and the number of tanks, but normally between 200-250KM. The VIGO with 3 CNG tanks gets over 500KM.

Edited by IMHO

That's pretty impressive - are you driving for economy to get that?

With one tank yes pretty much. I heard 180 is more realistic. Then there are the sometimes queues at th filling station, the distance between stations etc.

If one uses a car primarily for commuting and there is a station near your house or place of work then OK, but for long distance business or touring...

OT I noticed yesterday that some ESSO stations now have LPG, in addition to the multitude of independent LPG suppliers.

With one tank yes pretty much. I heard 180 is more realistic. Then there are the sometimes queues at th filling station, the distance between stations etc.

If one uses a car primarily for commuting and there is a station near your house or place of work then OK, but for long distance business or touring...

OT I noticed yesterday that some ESSO stations now have LPG, in addition to the multitude of independent LPG suppliers.

Sometimes ? , you're being kind , there a bloody disaster area round here, Mr Penny Pincher has to wait hours to fill his Honda, then can only go 190 Klics , if he did an 800 Km run on gas alone it would take him 16 hrs or more. Humping that empty tank arounds worse baggage than the MIL. Whats wrong with a couple of Bht a Km that most of us get on Diesel or Benzine power. Balloon Chaser Fuel imo unless your a Trader.biggrin.png

We have converted a 2.5 benzine Ranger to CNG and it gets 350km range from a fill.

you are right. the problem is: I'm always late!

thanks for your replies to everybody!

Have you thought about trying to improve the economy of your current vehicle by altering your driving style?

Number 1, set off 15 minutes earlier!

No harsh acceleration (derby races away from the traffic lights)

Remove any unnecessary weight (the MIL?)

Looking and planning well ahead. Try to use the brakes as little as possible, lift off the gas early, plan your arrival at junctions, pinch points, etc. to be able to keep rolling (albeit slowly) wherever possible.

On highways try to maintain a constant speed using cruise control when traffic and road conditions are suitable.

Reduce your overall cruising speed. Say 120 to 100 will definitely make a difference.

Will take some self discipline. Come back and let us know how you get on.

We have converted a 2.5 benzine Ranger to CNG and it gets 350km range from a fill.

This one might get more than 350 kms?

3426538420_197b6c8104_m.jpg

But an average car will not.

387002_10151001140761245_813400959_n-Cus

This one might get more than 350 kms?

3426538420_197b6c8104_m.jpg

But an average car will not.

387002_10151001140761245_813400959_n-Cus

I know a Ranger is touted to have car like characteristics but why are you comparing it to a sedan with it's capacity ? .... have you experienced our conversion ?

Well we haven't seen a picture of your conversion so we don't know how big the tank(s) are. The 200kms Honda city reference was for a sedan. The OP has a Fortuner which doesn't have an open bed to fill with CNG tank(s)

Obviously the range of any similar vehicle is governed by the size of the fuel tank. Some vehicles can have saddle tanks, Older Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, US style pickups? etc. and get double the range but they don't get better fuel economy.

Maybe the tank(s) you have will not fit in a Fortuner or a Honda City.

Edited by VocalNeal