Train derails near Lamphun station

webfact

Mr Prapas reportedly ordered the transfer of Lamphun station chief Silarat Divajee to Sila Art station as a result of the mishap. (MCOT online news)

Seems he has found someone to blame so he wont have to resign after all.

What a shame.

What clowns. And this governor offered to tender his resignation if... there was another derailment! Which there will surely be. If I was in such a shameful position, I would resign immediately as my incompetence and that of my subordinates becomes so obvious.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the last sentence, the fact is that this was not part of the repaired section. Thus as has been stated the two are unrelated. Frankly, it is a huge embarrassment for the SRT Gov given the timing.

People love to jump on the SRT as it is an easy target. There is much to criticise about the SRT but that usually takes some informed and factual analysis which is beyond most.

So you're saying posters were on the wrong track all along then?

Anyone who connected the recent track repairs with this derailment, as some did, are definitely on the wrong track. This didn't occur where the main line was repaired & wasn't even on the main line. Most seem to ignore that fact & the underlying reality as to why the SRT is in such a poor shape.

It would be akin to blaming the recent Thai Airways accident at Swampy with building the Phase 2 new passenger terminal. Both are completely unrelated.

Still, highly embaressing for the SRT.

Are you saying Lamphun is not on the main line from Bangkok.

I don't give a rat's ass if it was repaired or not. What gets me is they said they were repairing the line not just hit and miss parts. Of course it was some ones fault,

Do people really expect the Government to admit it didn't do what it said it was going to do.wai.gif

Sorry but you patently don't understand the facts or the context. If you really gave a rat's ass you would have been lobbying for years for extra funding to the SRT which is the root cause of this problem.

This occurred on a passing loop, not the main line track. Passing loops as only used to allow another train to pass - most of the Thai network is single track as you know. Trains do not enter them at full speed (the ave speed of thai trains is only 50-60km anyway) as they are going to hold on the passing loop while waiting for the train on the main line to pass. Did you watch the video linked on the MCOT page in post #53?

In the context of massive under funding for 5 decades, you can't upgrade 1000km of track overnight. There has to be priorities, a passing loop would generally not be one when there are many more pressing areas. (Please read the last two paras of post #53 for historical context). Thus, a 300km section was targeted from Sila At to CM - with priorities of replacing wooden sleepers, turnouts, and some curves in sections which had been prone to derailments (of which there have been 11 in the last 9 months on the northern line) and especially areas which have suffered from flash floods in the past.

The upgrading and dual tracking of the whole 4000+km network will take 20 years. In that time, whole lines can either be shut down or gradually improved while keeping the networking running. Dual tracking allows you to install the 2nd new track while keeping the old track working. Once the 2nd is completed you can obviously then shut down & upgrade the original track. (Obviously at times, some sections of line will be temporary closed).

Show me any example of any highway where the whole road is able to be upgraded overnight and where the whole highway is up to standard. It takes time, sometimes years. Highways requiring upgrading and which are prone to accidents due to deterioration are kept open until they are upgraded. Accidents directly caused by the state of the hwy occur daily & people still die. Yet the whole Hwy is not closed. It is a cost benefit analysis that companies and governments make all the time. The whole of Highway 1 in Thailand is definitely not of a safe standard and has many areas requiring urgent repair and resurfacing. If you shut down the whole hwy people would be screaming for blood. In reality, it is gradually done (and often in a much delayed and prolonged manner)

As stated before, there is plenty to criticise the SRT about and especially the management of the SRT. However, it takes some factual and insightful understanding for the criticism to have relevance.

Ideally, the whole network would be shut down and repaired for the next 5-7 years given the it has been unfunded for the last 50 years. However, reality is different.

^Hellodolly, as added info as you do clearly give a rat's ass and want to be informed on the facts here is the Master Plan for double tracking/line upgrading program. Please note that some of the dates have changed slightly , ie. generally add 2 years to each timeframe to be safe. And then add a few more years no construction project Thailand ever is completed on time - hence the reason why I stated 20 years for the whole network.

Also, note that the upgrading of the whole narrow guage network is completely separate from any new standard gauge HSR lines that will be built.

doubletrackmasterplan.png

I rode the new track BKK to CM on monday night. Special express, arrived over 3 hrs late. It seemed that they were running the train at about 25mph. It worked out ok for me cause I got to see all of the best stuff roll by very slowly in daylight. Fortunately, I'm a clueless newbie tourist and largely oblivious to the safety record of the Thai trains. I did purposely wait a day after they re-opened the track to to let a few trains roll over it first. Eek, I guess I'm glad I didn't know that they derailed one on that line earlier the same day...