Driving in South of UK versus Driving in Thailand

Pilotman

Am equally happy in central London and central Bangkok.

Possibly more so in Bangkok as there is much more give and take (no egos and road rage) which keeps everything flowing and prevents gridlock.

Get up country then take care.

No gridlock in BKK! I think you and I are driving in different Bangkoks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Thais do seem to look in their mirrors.

cheesy.gif Absolutely hilarious!

yeah, when a zit needs popping or makeup applied. To see what other vehicles are around them, never! Driving in Thailand is a bit like the US Cavalry portrayed in old western movies....CHARGE! smile.png

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

Only common denominator is both countries have crap drivers behind the wheel

(although my defensive driving technique/self preservation radar is notched up a good few bars when in LOS) blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

e

Tell us of your experience then please, also the country where you were taught to drive? As it stands, your comments are just an easy swipe at other drivers.

I may agree or disagree, as the land lies, there is not sufficient information, Thanks

In answer to your questions in reverse;

I was taught to drive in the UK; passed my driving test for a car in 1985 and then also passed my Motorcycle test in 1993 (grew up riding off road bikes) So unlike many people riding over here I do have a motorcycle licence. I own cars and motorcycles in the UK and a scooter here in Patong. Hailing from the Northwest of England I have had the privilege to ride (which is my passion) some of the best bits of road any motorcyclist could wish for e.g. The Cat & Fiddle, Snake Pass, Woodhead Pass, all over the dales (Settle-Hawes-Devils Bridge) there are many more but just kinda showing no BS.

The operative word was 'Have' I do not mean 'All' drivers here in LOS, So my comments are based from observational experience of both countries - fact.

Your experience etc to make judgment or comment?

And of course you may agree or disagree even with that information, I have no problem at all with that.

As said I personally drive much more defensibly here in LOS as the poor standards of unlicensed, incompetent road users are numerous, tied to the poor requirements to pass Thai drivers tests with a Police force who do not apply the traffic laws of this land to do anything to improve things.

That article I  read in the magazine saying be prepared to spend about 20% of your spending money on tips got my back right up. It was not just referring to restaurants, it meant all round, taxis, hotels etc. If it was not for that article, I would have done what I do in other countries, if I am getting good value and service, then I will tip.

Have I missed something? This thread is about driving isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are a having a laugh...........xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

oh and southern UK is not just London just as BKK is not all of Thailand.

No i'm not having a laugh and I am well aware that London isn't all the south of UK and BKK isn't the whoile of Thialand, that's not what I wrote mate!

What I am trying to do is dispell some of the more hysterical advice pushed out by some of never to self drive in Thailand

This post is the most pointless utter tosh imaginable. Perhaps the poster has very little real driving experience in London area? Sundays are a good to avoid driving in London as that's when the occasional drivers blow the cobwebs off their cars and venture into the big city. Other than that there is no comparison between UK and Thai driving standards. I offer this opinion as a seasoned UK driver of 30+ years, most of that in and around London and the southeast. Last experienced four weeks ago.

So to summarise; stop talking <deleted> sir!

Never assume matey, check first. I work in London and drive in from Sussex every day. You may be a good driver, I don't know [and don't care!], but there is a valid comparison to be made here by a person, me, who regularly drives in both environments.

This post is the most pointless utter tosh imaginable. Perhaps the poster has very little real driving experience in London area? Sundays are a good to avoid driving in London as that's when the occasional drivers blow the cobwebs off their cars and venture into the big city. Other than that there is no comparison between UK and Thai driving standards. I offer this opinion as a seasoned UK driver of 30+ years, most of that in and around London and the southeast. Last experienced four weeks ago.

So to summarise; stop talking <deleted> sir!

Never assume matey, check first. I work in London and drive in from Sussex every day. You may be a good driver, I don't know [and don't care!], but there is a valid comparison to be made here by a person, me, who regularly drives in both environments.

laugh.png , have you ever ''really'' driven in LOS. laugh.png

• Like 2

You are a having a laugh...........xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

oh and southern UK is not just London just as BKK is not all of Thailand.

No i'm not having a laugh and I am well aware that London isn't all the south of UK and BKK isn't the whoile of Thialand, that's not what I wrote mate!

What I am trying to do is dispell some of the more hysterical advice pushed out by some of never to self drive in Thailand

Your post title says south of UK - thats a lot different to just London which you referenced in your OP.

There may have been some odd comments about not self driving (but I don't particularly remember them) but the fact that there is a very active car forum here on TV essentially renders most of those observations as pretty redundant. - and hence the generally negative view on your OP from most respondants.

I stand ny my original comment - I am still shaking my head in disbelief......facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

I'm currently outside of BKK - In the North East of Thailand - Its a fairly quiet area - in relative terms similar to the area I come from in the UK.

In Thailand: On the road close to where I am staying there have been road related fatalities in the past month.

In the UK: on the road close to where my folks live, I have only heard of 2 road fatalities in 10 years.

In Thailand: On the road close to where I am staying I have avoided numerous cars overtaking while I, also in a car am approaching and pass I have to squeeze over to the left (its quite normal and expected by now).

In the UK: I have never encountered a car overtaking while I am approaching and passing.

I believe that while isolated to my own experience these two examples and comparisons are representative of the additional risks and mentality towards safe driving in Thailand compared to the UK.

I'm not suggesting the UK is a perfect country and Thailand isn't: This discussion is about road safety - for which in Thailand there is an undoubtable flagrant disregard.

I would like to validate a point another poster made earlier in the thread: Aggression and road rage - While in Thailand there are numerous examples of people driving stupidly, carelessly and downright dangerously people tend to be less aggressive on the roads. I would suggest that people in the UK are a dash more aggressive in their driving manner with a higher tendency to react / respond aggressively if the rules aren't followed perfectly!...

• Like 2

I have driven millions of kms in the UK, as well as many overseas countries. The overall standard of driving in the UK is the best I have experienced. For those of you who say you have hardly ever seen an accident in Thailand, you must live in a remote village. When driving in Thailand you will see many accidents in the course of a year. If you think the standard of driving is good in Thailand, think again. I have had my cars damaged 9 times in the car park, just because many local drivers cannot reverse without hitting something. Recently my brand new CRV was hit by a car which did not stop, but was likely from a nearby housing estate. When I looked at the cars along the street for damage, thinking I could find the culprit, I found that 95% of the cars had accident damage. It is not surprising as the majority of local drivers drive badly and insanely close to the vehicles in front of them. The only Country I found worse than Thailand was Libya, where a trip to town with a Libyan driver was dubbed "The White Knuckle Ride", because your hands are holding on for grim death.

You want car park damage try Spain. They just don't care.

Whenever I went to a supermarket I learned to park in the most unpopular and empty areas.

Am equally happy in central London and central Bangkok.

Possibly more so in Bangkok as there is much more give and take (no egos and road rage) which keeps everything flowing and prevents gridlock.

Get up country then take care.

No gridlock in BKK! I think you and I are driving in different Bangkoks.

By Thai standards I'm a very good driver! And of course I care☺