Bangkok: Anti-government protesters declare victory

webfact

RT@veen_NT : Suthep: My only ultimate goal is to make Thailand free of capitalism dictatorship.

He clearly lost his marbles.... hope the pro ones here does not have any company here....

I do not think I have to worry about my business here since I will not be a PM. You may have to worry though smile.png

Suthep seems to believe the only 'capitalists' in Thailand are the Shinawatra family. He and the Democrats are backed by some of Thailand's wealthiest people & biggest businesses, I rather suspect he isn't proposing to eliminate them. The 'capitalist dictatorship' thing is also something Sondhi used to bang on about, as if he himself isn't a capitalist.

And the Shinawatras/PTP/Red Shirts are backed by CP, headed by THE wealthiest person of THE wealthiest family in Thailand, as well as many other big multinationals. Thais know well who are RS companies and who aren't. Why else are the farmers forced to buy CP fertilizer in order to get any money from the rice scheme?

The constant references to the "elites" backing the anti-government groups is just RS propaganda, as the Reds have just as much if not more "elitist" backing. This is just another version of the Koch Brothers' backed Tea Party pseudo-populist "movement" intended to enrich the wealthy criminal corporatists and their cronies.

Edited by timoclark

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RT@veen_NT : Suthep: My only ultimate goal is to make Thailand free of capitalism dictatorship.

He clearly lost his marbles.... hope the pro ones here does not have any company here....

I do not think I have to worry about my business here since I will not be a PM. You may have to worry though smile.png

Suthep seems to believe the only 'capitalists' in Thailand are the Shinawatra family. He and the Democrats are backed by some of Thailand's wealthiest people & biggest businesses, I rather suspect he isn't proposing to eliminate them. The 'capitalist dictatorship' thing is also something Sondhi used to bang on about, as if he himself isn't a capitalist.

And the Shinawatras/PTP/Red Shirts are backed by CP, headed by THE wealthiest person of THE wealthiest family in Thailand, as well as many other big multinationals. Thais know well who are RS companies and who aren't. Why else are the farmers forced to buy CP fertilizer in order to get any money from the rice scheme?

The constant references to the "elites" backing the anti-government groups is just RS propaganda, as the Reds have just as much if not more "elitist" backing. This is just another version of the Koch Brothers' backed Tea Party pseudo-populist "movement" intended to enrich the wealthy criminal corporatists and their cronies.

The owners of CP are the wealthiest person and family in Thailand?

You really have absolutely no idea, do you?

Excellent. Suthep calls for storming police HQ and trying to escalate things further and the response is the police give out flowers and let the kids play in the sandpit for a bit before they go home clap2.gif

Cool you won congratulations have a whistle, now go home like good little children and let the adults put up the birthday celebration decor....you can come back next week if you wish etc etc etc. lol

Masterful stroke by the government, fight intended violence with humility and flowers and totally disarm the standoff, nowhere for the protesters to go now but home cheesy.gif ....

And the best part ? not one person injured... now thats a victory. thumbsup.gif

So now it's perfectly ok to burn the place down!! Because they are tax payers???

Sorry, i must have missed that "they" are burning it down or stated they are going to burn it down? Tax payers? I missed that somewhere too. If you can provide where I can find who said what, I would much appreciate it.

Pax Nobiscum

So it's either a deal's been done and this is a way out for both sides. Or the anti-govt side have been suckered. Yes, they've got the buildings but what does that actually mean? Or this is a temporary break in hostilities for the King's birthday. Prayuth likely had something to do with it. I'd go with option one at this point, but I guess it'll become clear soon enough.

Could this be the Thai political version of Muhammad Ali's rope-a-dope?

My wife is over the moon at the moment, jumping up and down saying "we won, we won". I'm a bit more reserved, I am more concerned about what happens next. Will the people of Thailand truly have a voice in the next government to be formed, or will votes be purchassed and the needs of the people ignored again? I am concerened about Thailand's future, I do hope this protest will see Thailand headed toward democracy rather than autocracy dressed up as democracy, for those who say that a democratically elected government has been ousted, I'm sorry, but in my view any goverment which is voted in on the back of vote buying rather than electionering was not democratically elected.

You like democracy so much that you want to take it away from people who "don't know" as well as you? Well, you and your solution are in good company with this lot of protesters, I guess......please stop talking about democracy.

oh to be in dubai to see his face now...priceless.......i so hope its the end of yingluck she was way out of her depth...but brother didnt care about her one bit..vile human...him,him,him,,,

I think you will be disapointed if you think this is the end of Thaksin and as Yingluck was voted into office by the Thai people it should not be the end for her, no matter how your wife feels.

I think the face in Dubai would be more smirk than priceless!!

Yingluck will be in control for a lot longer than Suthep is in control of his mob.

Yes, I think Yingluck comes out of this looking much stronger. It seems obvious the army is backing her and the ridiculous antics of the anti-democracy protestors have alienated even those who hate Thaksin!

Not really Yingluck has come out of this in a much weeker position. One whiff of Thaksin behind any thing will just bring it back to her front yard.

The people may be tired of the ongoing protest but they are far more aware of Thaksins hand in the government and will not stand for it. They may not continue to protest but they will not go back to sleep.

Going to be interesting when they arrest Suthep. My money says after the kings birthday.

She has a lot to make up for and the people will be watching her now. Remember even some of the red shirts were unhappy with her. The red shirts can no longer be counted on as one unit unless Thaksin brings out his check book. Then them being the for hire goons that they are will forget all their differences and come together as one again.

It feels more scripted than a Channel 7 soap. wink.png

Not that this is bad of course; quite clearly a deal was made, either negotiated, or the army / powers-that-be just bluntly laid it down.

Yes, strategic thinking took over and it certainly didn't come from the police or Yingluck.

The questions are - what has been agreed and will it end the protests?

The other paper is reporting a 'People's Forum' set up by Yingluck. One would hope it's not the 'reconciliation forum' mark II. Certainly doesn't seem enough to satisfy the protestors.

Still, a pause for HM's birthday might allow wiser heads to prevail.

Excellent. Suthep calls for storming police HQ and trying to escalate things further and the response is the police give out flowers and let the kids play in the sandpit for a bit before they go home clap2.gif

Cool you won congratulations have a whistle, now go home like good little children and let the adults put up the birthday celebration decor....you can come back next week if you wish etc etc etc. lol

Masterful stroke by the government, fight intended violence with humility and flowers and totally disarm the standoff, nowhere for the protesters to go now but home cheesy.gif ....

You could say that.....if you wish to overlook the 4 dead and 57 or so injured to get to this point.

Huge brownie points to Yingluck. Total control. Mahatma Gandhi-esque. This is the woman's touch coming through... a very unique, and interesting development on the Thai political/cultural scene. She just burnt the standover man in his tracks.

• Like 1

i'm relatively new to thailand but i learned already that it's best to avoid conflict or at least let the other side think they have won

You are probably right. Depends what it is, but if you walk away, watch your back...........thumbsup.gif

You could say that.....if you wish to overlook the 4 dead and 57 or so injured to get to this point.

They all knew the risk....

This is all well and good... but ultimately the police are a small part of the equation. The question is the military. And that question is still up in the air.

The military has already said they won't get involved. In a democratic country, the military should not be used to resolve internal political conflicts. The military is here to protect the country from foreign forces. I'm glad to see the Thai military growing up and taking a step in the right direction under PM Yingluck.

Would that be PM Yingluck, DM Yingluck or PM/DM Yingluck.

Yingluck the dynamic and brilliant - who once again confirms she runs the country, without listening to her brother. Shame no one told her party or cabinet.

Would this be the same Yingluck whose government has lied, cheated and acted illegally, whilst also now denying any responsibility for the actions of its parliamentary party MPs ?

You must be one of the very few shrewd farangs here that really know and believe she is the real power running the country and the Shin clan; and not her criminal fugitive brother who she doesn't listen too. The Amnesty Bill amendment aimed at whitewashing her brother was after all, nothing to do with her. wink.pngwhistling.gif

You are so much more entertaining with your slapstick than those other wannabee intellectuals who post pro government diatribes - and they said Vaudeville was dead !

• Like 1

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

You're saying it's illegal for the police to drop leaflets with the arrest warrant, yet you say that it's only for the "officers" involved. What "officers" are you talking about exactly?

as you say lad re-read the criminal court said its illegal ..i wondered where you were fab4

fab4 - think he should be re-named hydra, cut off one head and another appears instantly.

Pathetic country, pathetic responses. Thailand is full of negativity both in it's culture and the people.

So why are you here, actually no real need to answer - guess most thinking people will be able to work it out for themselves.

oh to be in dubai to see his face now...priceless.......i so hope its the end of yingluck she was way out of her depth...but brother didnt care about her one bit..vile human...him,him,him,,,

I think you will be disapointed if you think this is the end of Thaksin and as Yingluck was voted into office by the Thai people it should not be the end for her, no matter how your wife feels.

I think the face in Dubai would be more smirk than priceless!!

Yingluck will be in control for a lot longer than Suthep is in control of his mob.

"Yingluck will be in control for a lot longer than Suthep is in control of his mob"

​The PM has never been in control of the government... Why do you think this has all happened?

Seeing the pic of the Police and Protestor hugging, wasn't it the Germans an British who ceased fighting one Christmas Day so long ago, sang some carols, exchanged gifts, and then continued fighting the next day?

Is this just the "lull before the storm".

Hope not.

I doubt that the Mothers of the dead people who died for this "victory" are in a celebrating mood right now. Despite the huge improvements in society that have been ushered in by this anti-democratic upheaval. My prayers are with those families that have lost loved ones, and I pray that the tragic violence by all actors in this Punch&Judy Show will end before any more lives are lost or ruined.

Indeed, I agree with you over the tragic deaths and wounded.

But anti-democratic upheaval?

Maybe an anti-democratic government should be banned by an anti-democratic means?

Having a majority in parliament does not give a government the right to ignore nearly half of the minority.

Do remember that PTP did not have 51% of the votes!

A government should be working for ALL the people, not only for their own cronies, politicians, and voters.

• Like 1

So now it's perfectly ok to burn the place down!! Because they are tax payers???

Sorry, i must have missed that "they" are burning it down or stated they are going to burn it down? Tax payers? I missed that somewhere too. If you can provide where I can find who said what, I would much appreciate it.

Pax Nobiscum

Here you go Benmart............

Posted Today, 12:59

Metropolitan Police Bureau allows demonstrators to enter its headquarters

BANGKOK, 3 December 2013 (NNT) - Bangkok Metropolitan police Chief Kamronwit Thoopkrachang says police will no longer use tear gas against demonstrators, but will instead welcome them inside the Metropolitan Police Bureau headquarters on Sri Ayutthaya road.

According to Pol Lt Gen Khamronvit, he has not been removed as the commander in charge of forces dealing with the protesters, as rumored. He said he had instructed police to open the line and clap their hands to welcome the protesters when they arrive.

Since the office belongs to the public and has been built with their tax money, protesters should be allowed to do whatever they want with it, including seizing it or burning it down to the ground, said the Metropolitan Police chief, adding that he would take sole responsibility of the protesters' actions.

Prime Minister and Defense Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has given 2 million baht in cash to be distributed among police officers who are on duty, said the Pol Lt Gen.

He added that police from now on would concentrate on protecting the life and property of individuals instead of holding off demonstrators from entering government offices.

nntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.5C6sHNTwTn.jpg

-- NNT 2013-12-03

Funny how this thread has progressed since earlier in the day when people thought that the protesters entering government house compound meant that Yingluck has been overthrown. It does NOT.

The protesters were allowed in, they loddy dooded around the front lawn for an hour and they then left, the military locking the gates after they left. It appears that Government House is being turned over to the military, so the protesters can forget about that one. I'm not sure about Police HQ, but at this point it appears the protesters are back at Democracy monument and nothing has changed.

Despite TomTao's version of reality, Yingluck is not a dictator, she cannot resign and appoint a 'people's council'. The most she can do is resign and call fresh elections. She can decide she no longer wants to be PM but the voters will decide that Phua Thai has another majority, this stunt by the yellow shirts will probably result in a bigger Phua Thai majority, if anything. Yingluck is the most conciliatory of the Phua Thai MPs, I mean do we really want her replaced by some brash man? That'll just make the situation worse. Lets not forget that when Yingluck came into power 2 years ago she stated that bringing her brother home from exile "was not a priority." When the amnesty bill created protests she was the killed it by sending it to the Senate. Who do you think has more respect among the military generals, Yingluck or that crackpot Suthep. SUthep is not going to intimidate the military into removing Yingluck in a coup.

My wife is over the moon at the moment, jumping up and down saying "we won, we won". I'm a bit more reserved, I am more concerned about what happens next. Will the people of Thailand truly have a voice in the next government to be formed, or will votes be purchassed and the needs of the people ignored again? I am concerened about Thailand's future, I do hope this protest will see Thailand headed toward democracy rather than autocracy dressed up as democracy, for those who say that a democratically elected government has been ousted, I'm sorry, but in my view any goverment which is voted in on the back of vote buying rather than electionering was not democratically elected.

How joyous! A group of thugs manage to intimidate cowardly police into offering flowers like conquering heroes while jeopardizing the tiny, itsy bitsy, teeny weenie, microscopic bit of democracy Thailand currently has. I'm sure the 40 % of the population that voted for PT will be good sports about their democratic rights being violated and this loss celebrated by the spineless bureaucrats who have their picture taken with these villains who are joyously drunk with their new found power and vigilante stardom.

• Like 1

The sudden change in tactics came as the nation prepares on Thursday to celebrate King Bhumibol Adulyadej's 86th birthday, a day normally marked in a spirit of calm and reverence for the monarch.

So both sides want to stop (for the meantime). For sure they are tired and most of all, give respect to the King's birthday.

It is not because the protesters won.

• Like 1

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban, a former deputy premier, said the fight to unseat the government was not over.
"It's a partial victory but it's not final because the Thaksin regime is still in place. You cannot go back home yet. We have to continue our struggle," he told his supporters.

As Suthep said already to his people you can not go home (to the South I guess). Those people that have been none-stop in Bangkok for the past 1 months are hired and many are unemployed that can be hired for 300 Baht per day plus free food and a mat to sleep on.

Hopefully this nut will get arrested on December 6, 2013 but I guess the thugs from Surat will stay for a while in Bangkok, thanks to Suthep and the Democrat Party.

The good news is if Suthep is really out of the Democrat Party, they have a good chance to reinvent them-self but the Democrat Party need a new leader as both Suthep and Abhisit have to much dirt on their hand. Just looking at this behavior shows that he was not the right man in charge of security in 2010. I think the Democrat Party should appoint Kalaya Sophonpanich to the executive board and in the next election should run against Yingluck. I think woman's are better as PM in Thailand as they should some kind of restrain when things boil over.

For Yingluck, I think she has handled everything very well, except taking orders and advises from Dubai but she won the last election and that's all what counts for me.

Well it waa funny to see the protesters wandering in the garden then going back as there was nothing to do in an empty building. Suthep thought the violence would have escalated and the army step in but nothing happened.. the government is still in power army does not want to interfere and mob has no opponent....

Good strategy whatever you think of both sides...

Yingluck handled thisnquite eaaily and still ask for discussions while suthep start to be exhausted and will soon be alone.

Most of people went back to work as usual... we will see if authep has still the backup of the" people "(estimated today as 50.000 )

Nice way of putting it.

Suthep has now made himself an arrestable non event.

Yingluck and her government have come out clean in the face of severe and deliberate provocation and even the police look good.

Let's have an election and see what the people think.

I would guess that quite a few undecideds would approve of her handling of this, the avoidance of catastrophic blood shed and the governments repeated invitations to discuss the problems.

My bet would be bigger majority.

• Like 1