How to negotiate a Thai level crossing

galoubet

I came across this situation in Kanchanaburi early this morning. Fortunately I had my motorbike helmet cam on to record the events.

The level crossing barriers were down and the lights flashing but that doesn't seem influence Thai driving behaviour. I believe there may have been a fault at the crossing but until the crossing official (armed with his radio) gave the all clear who could tell? And from my experience even when the barriers are working and a train is approaching Thais still try to get across the tracks.

Uploaded at YouTube http://youtu.be/67g53yolskY

You should know that stopping for railway barriers is a huge loss of face.

Stupid behaviour?

Indeed, but not in the eyes of Thai people, farang do not understand Thainess.

It is better to die as to loose face, isn't it?

Edited by hansnl

Check out 3:17!

That's when the OP realized the train wasn't invisible, it just wasn't there tongue.png

It took him a while, and several demonstrations by locals before he grew confidence in his own ears and eyes, but he got there :)

Edited by IMHO

That's when the OP realized the train wasn't invisible, it just wasn't there tongue.png

It took him a while, and several demonstrations by locals before he grew confidence in his own ears and eyes, but he got there smile.png

A dog walker standing on the track?

Edited by Morakot

It took him a while, and several demonstrations by locals before he grew confidence in his own ears and eyes, but he got there smile.png

A dog walker on the track?

I was considering that just another demonstration by a local. 3:17 is when he finally got the nerve to go :)