Australian pension changes

Major overhaul for our disability support pension scheme to crack down on cheats

AUSTRALIA'S Disability Support Pension scheme faces a major overhaul, with the federal government considering temporary payments for new clients and those aged under 40 to be subjected to more regular reviews.

Nearly one in 20 Australians of working age are on the disability pension, which offers up to $800-a-fortnight without a requirement to look for even part-time work.

Left unchecked, the number of Australians on disability payments is on track to hit one million in the next decade. Confronted with the staggering $15 billion-a-year cost of the DSP scheme, the Abbott government is preparing major reforms.

Read Article Here

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

The Australian government seems to be doing what the UK government does. IE promise you lots of benefits at the start of your working life and then remove them when you go to claim them. This would be described as deception or fraud if it were a private company reneging on promises. However, as it's our government, we have to take it on the chin. I think we are long due a people's revolution in many of our Western democracies.

The government should start to worry about grey power. It could be the biggest voting block in the country and it's going to get bigger.

Expats should threaten to move back home and that would put the fear of god into them. Thinks of all those medical and pharmaceutical bills. They should be paying a bonus for expats to stay overseas.

Exactly, we cost the country far less by living here in Thailand and other countries. I belivee that Australia maybe soon be experiencing reverse immigration because of the soaring cost of living.

Sydney is now the 3rd highest cost of living city in the world,Many years ago it probably wasn't in the top 50 What I had to got through with Centrelink to get my aged pension was unbelievable and that was after a working life of over 40 years. For anyone who has been living out of Oz for some time and thinks they can go back and get their aged pension,when turning 65, and return immediately, you are sadly in for a rude shock.

Yes, you're correct about us not costing the Oz Govt the various subsidies they pay for power, pharmaceuticals etc. Believe me, they know to the minute when your passport is swiped on the way in.

Oddly enough, my GP still bulk bills me each visit, twice a year, and when I questioned this with the doctor's receptionist, she phoned straight through to someone and confirmed then and there that I'd arrived back in Oz the day before and yes, I could continue getting the benefits of bulk billing.

However, my visit to the pharmacist was quite different, and he told me I'd been taken off the pharmaceutical benefits list and had to pay the vastly overpriced cost of medicine. Cholesterol lowering drugs were listed as $55.00 each, and in the UK I read that the same thing is around 3 pounds.

Fortunately, the cost here in Thailand is nowhere near those prices.

I can not believe anyone is still taking statins (cholesterol lowering drugs) after all the stories around about how bad they are.....every one needs cholesterol no one need statins with all there side effects.

This section covers all the overseas pension topics you want to know about re Australian pensions.

Whether you can be paid whilst overseas.

If you are entitled to a Pension whilst overseas

If you are entitled to claim a Pension because you have lived overseas too long.

How long you have to stay in Australia to get the pension. etc etc. It's all there.

Click onto the link and scroll down the page.

http://agencysearch.australia.gov.au/search/click.cgi?rank=1&collection=agencies&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fenablers%2Foutside-australia&index_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fenablers%2Foutside-australia&auth=ZSu0oPUqd%2FA%2Fk2WY86PVYA&search_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fdhs%2Fcentrelink&query=pension%20overseas&profile=humanservicesportfolio&identifier=1387703190.74983

Edited by OZEMADE
  • 4 months later...

The Australian government seems to be doing what the UK government does. IE promise you lots of benefits at the start of your working life and then remove them when you go to claim them. This would be described as deception or fraud if it were a private company reneging on promises. However, as it's our government, we have to take it on the chin. I think we are long due a people's revolution in many of our Western democracies.

The government should start to worry about grey power. It could be the biggest voting block in the country and it's going to get bigger.

Expats should threaten to move back home and that would put the fear of god into them. Thinks of all those medical and pharmaceutical bills. They should be paying a bonus for expats to stay overseas.

Exactly, we cost the country far less by living here in Thailand and other countries. I belivee that Australia maybe soon be experiencing reverse immigration because of the soaring cost of living.

Sydney is now the 3rd highest cost of living city in the world,Many years ago it probably wasn't in the top 50 What I had to got through with Centrelink to get my aged pension was unbelievable and that was after a working life of over 40 years. For anyone who has been living out of Oz for some time and thinks they can go back and get their aged pension,when turning 65, and return immediately, you are sadly in for a rude shock.

2 year wait for any benefits if you've declared non residency

I agree with you 100%.I havent hit 65 and a bloody half yet,but been trying to find out if resident or not.Whats the criteria for cutting you off and do they inform you,and how do you get back on before that 2 year bs kicks in.The silence from govt. officers is deafening.Grey power is the way to go,and i suggest we all register to vote in Bangkok.When both sides see how many of us are pissed off,maybe they will take us seriously.Until then they will take us for granted.Remember,the squeaky wheel gets heard and pollies will always vote for self presevatipn.

This section covers all the overseas pension topics you want to know about re Australian pensions.

If you are entitled to claim a Pension because you have lived overseas too long.

How long you have to stay in Australia to get the pension. etc etc. It's all there.

http://agencysearch.australia.gov.au/search/click.cgi?rank=1&collection=agencies&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fenablers%2Foutside-australia&index_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fenablers%2Foutside-australia&auth=ZSu0oPUqd%2FA%2Fk2WY86PVYA&search_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fdhs%2Fcentrelink&query=pension%20overseas&profile=humanservicesportfolio&identifier=1387703190.74983

Have read it all,but nowhere have i seen anything about getting struck off as a resident,without you knowing.As usual with govt.the devil is in the detail,if you can find it.

Have read it all,but nowhere have i seen anything about getting struck off as a resident,without you knowing.As usual with govt.the devil is in the detail,if you can find it.

'Proof of residency' is a subjective decision making process that you may be required to undergo if returning to live in Australia and claiming a Centrelink benefit; there does not appear to be any written rules other than Centrelink reserves the right for establishing 'proof of residency'. An overview of some case studies where 'proof of residency' has been accepted/declined at:

http://guidesacts.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-3/ssguide-3.1/ssguide-3.1.1/ssguide-3.1.1.10.html

Edited by simple1
  • 4 months later...

I HAVE read all the above posts. I have read the links too. I have read the Human Resources pages over and over again.

And I still do not know a couple of things. Perhaps this is because of information overload. Or , more likely, I just don't compute everything I read correctly. Perhaps someone can help.

I am 63.6 years old. I will be elegible for a pension Dec 2015. On that date I will have lived in Australia for 29 years and 9 months.

Do I now have to be living in Australia for 35 years to get the full pension? or is it retroactive to those who are starting to work at 16 yrs. or some other method of calculation that I am unaware of?

I just don't know if I get the 25 years treatment or not. Some help here would be great.

question 2 I can't figure. If I go away for a year, (now) and come back in October next year....do I get punished when I apply for my OAP?

thanks

Rae

I HAVE read all the above posts. I have read the links too. I have read the Human Resources pages over and over again.

And I still do not know a couple of things. Perhaps this is because of information overload. Or , more likely, I just don't compute everything I read correctly. Perhaps someone can help.

I am 63.6 years old. I will be elegible for a pension Dec 2015. On that date I will have lived in Australia for 29 years and 9 months.

Do I now have to be living in Australia for 35 years to get the full pension? or is it retroactive to those who are starting to work at 16 yrs. or some other method of calculation that I am unaware of?

I just don't know if I get the 25 years treatment or not. Some help here would be great.

question 2 I can't figure. If I go away for a year, (now) and come back in October next year....do I get punished when I apply for my OAP?

thanks

Rae

I recently received confirmation of full Aged Pension after applying upon return from living in Thailand.

Upon return, so long as you meet Centrelink residency and assets criteria, you receive full Aged Pension. After completing the required minimum of two years residency, so long as there is no changes to the legislation in the interim, you can obtain Aged Pension portability, payment will be calculated pro rata based upon Working Life Residency of 35 years from age 16.

Application can be made online via:

https://my.gov.au/EnrolService/enrolService.htm?_flowId=enrolment-mg-flow&_flowExecutionKey=e1s1

As a hint to support your application you should contact immigration for your movement records in/out of Oz, if beyond 30 years contact National Archives of Australia, info is provided free of charge.

https://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/border-security/systems/movement-records.htm

http://www.naa.gov.au/

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

But what about all the money you spend in Australia,food,petrol and the list goes on

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY SIMPLE1

that seems to clear things up. I was really hoping that you (or someone else) would tell me that they can't just change the rules on a person who is about to be pensionable. But it seems they can and have.

A friend of mine said there should be a line drawn in the sand that was dated some years back. But for people like me....it seems that 1 year is just 1 year too far. jumping from 25 years to 35 years is a big blow...financially.

thanks again

Rae

• Like 1

Major overhaul for our disability support pension scheme to crack down on cheats

AUSTRALIA'S Disability Support Pension scheme faces a major overhaul, with the federal government considering temporary payments for new clients and those aged under 40 to be subjected to more regular reviews.

Nearly one in 20 Australians of working age are on the disability pension, which offers up to $800-a-fortnight without a requirement to look for even part-time work.

Left unchecked, the number of Australians on disability payments is on track to hit one million in the next decade. Confronted with the staggering $15 billion-a-year cost of the DSP scheme, the Abbott government is preparing major reforms.

Read Article Here

and that number will double if as expected 70 will be the retiring age.

someone forgot to tell the bright sparks...ho thats right they have never picked up anything heaver than a pen and a pad, that us tradesmen are often doing it tough by mid 50s.

• 1 month later...

BIG changes have been announced about disability pensions. And about time. 1 in 20 ozzies get a disability pension. Registered Alcoholics and most registered drug addicts receive full disability pension, plus petrol ,meat, and bread vouchers from charities such as Salvation Army, visit Ningi or Bribie Island in queensland these are the DisabledAlkie and druggie centres of queensland

• 3 months later...

What you have to watch is that Centrelink considers you a resident when you apply.

If you have been living overseas, regardless of already having spent 35 years working life residency in Australia, your age pension will not be portable for 2 years.

Yes,this is my problem.I have a few clues,have you any you can pass on,PM ok.

They (both parties) get away with this because they CAN. There is no other explanation. It doesn't make sense from a financial or taxation perspective. The very idea that a few hundred thousand expats returning to Australia to become a drain on the health system? On any rational argument you would think: let them stay overseas and live on the pension. But this is slimy politicians believing that they don't have to worry or care about retired expats ( not on the electoral roll=you don't exist ). Meanwhile, they live on fully indexed definite benefit pensions ( and can live wherever they like). Expat retirees= cheap ( no cost to govt, fully self-funded, unless able/willing to jump through hoops to get some benefit). It's a rotten system but what chance of a reciprocal social security agreement with Thailand....nil, as everyone knows

I warned about this.You can still be on the electoral roll,a trip to Bangkok Consulate is required to vote,not sure about postal vote.Write to both parties in your electorate and advise them of your concerns.Then tell them you will vote for the opposition every time until one of them addresses your concern,then you vote for that party for life.It would be very,very hard for me to vote for the Libs. but my electorate has never been Lib.but it's getting closer.All it needs sometimes is a few votes.If they get in,but break a promise,back to Lab. in 3 years.

They (both parties) get away with this because they CAN. There is no other explanation.

Like everywhere in the West there maybe TWO parties but there is only ONE shadow government that rules them all.

Same Elite Psychopaths that strip the resources and leave the country indebted.