Uncapped/Unlimited 3G package in Thailand?

hoosiergrad02

For DTAC, the "unlimited" packages will auto-renew, these are the plans in the upper-most table in your link.

I believe the next two tables, volume-based are one-offs which would NOT auto-renew, but they are hard-capped.

You can register for eServices (DTAC, AIS, TrueMove H), DTAC does have a selection within their eServices platform (Web/PC, and Mobile/Android) to cancel an existing plan. You could also send them en email at [email protected] to cancel, or even just spring the 3 baht to call 1678 (the 3 baht is a flat fee) as it might save you a lot more money?

I couldn't find a USSD code to cancel an internet plan here:

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/happynumber.html

With DTAC, adding a 9 to any USSD code returns English responses, so that's the difference. Feel free to use either code to subscribe.

• Like 1

With DTAC, adding a 9 to any USSD code returns English responses, so that's the difference. Feel free to use either code to subscribe.

English responses - critically important!

(and your link is a very useful summary of what I can/cannot do with codes, excellent)

Got it now, thanks again!

I am in and out of Thailand fairly regularly - are the "unlimited" DTAC plans "auto-renewing"?

Some plans auto-renew, assuming you have enough money and you haven't cancelled, these plans often offer unlimited internet access, albeit with speed limits once you reach/exceed your cap. Service providers also offer one-time plans which do not auto-renew; typically these are hard-capped and you have to be careful as you will pay by the min/MB if/when you exceed your cap.

There is probably a plan for you but you'll need to identify your specific requirements, and manage your account: cancelling any subscriptions when you leave the country, or insuring that your balance is below the fees associated with another renewal.

Just ring the service provider to cancel before you depart, or drop them an email.

You can just register the SIM online; http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/ and then administer the account from anywhere. Including the cancelling of subscriptions.

I see that the above info was already posted earlier.

I have an 8GB Mobile Internet package with AIS/One2Call for 999 baht inclusive. Haven't checked as to what speed I get once I've used up the faster allowance, as I use it just as a backup and haven't yet reached the limit.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

if you cancel the subscription do you get rebated any "unused" portion?

If the service is PREpaid, no refunds on unused portions.

If service is POSTpaid, then you only pay prorated sum of what is left up to the cancellation date. It pays to cancel ASAP, although I'm not sure if you can schedule the cancellation in the future. I'm speaking based on my understanding of catCDMA myByCat service. I'm assuming that the other providers offer similar cancellation terms for their postpaid service.

Sometimes they might try to bill it out to the end of the billing month.

It may not be much but it really irritates me (reminds me of an experience in Malaysia, my prepaid line ran out of money while I was trying to get help on it... line cut off just as I finally got to speak to a Real Live Human).

I thought the prepaid mobile providers had free customer service number if you had any problems. At least digi did.

Thailand was the worst...at least with AIS prepaid. They bill you by the minute. True-H I think has a more sensible 3 baht/call to their support.

MyCat is free if you call a specific service # from the myCat sim. If you call the main call center # from a Cat land line phone think it is free also.

They all do have email which is "free" You can request a callback.

Hi,

I am in and out of Thailand fairly regularly - are the "unlimited" DTAC plans "auto-renewing"? I like to keep money in my prepaid accounts wherever I travel since I don't want to have to rush around looking for top-ups in emergencies, but I've been bitten before where the renewals occurred where I am out of the country of the SIM card and I'm not able to call in to cancel (at least not without incurring more in international charges than I'd be trying to save)

If you use postpaid service, you could possibly suspend the service temporarily.

Or (prepaid) just cancel the service, keep the phone number, and then reactivate needed services when you come back in country).

You can use USSD codes or "eService" to cancel your services shortly before you leave.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone here help me with the best pre paid package for internet for my laptop which allows unlimited downloads at good speed.

If not unlimited downloads what is the most I can get.

I need to download tv shows and movies as there is nothing on tv here!

Can anyone here help me with the best pre paid package for internet for my laptop which allows unlimited downloads at good speed.

If not unlimited downloads what is the most I can get.

I need to download tv shows and movies as there is nothing on tv here!

Just few posts above, poster Jiu-Jitsu prepayed plan 'Unlimited, but capped at 8 Gb) is about the most you can get. All prividers pretty much match their packages.

Using 3G in Thailand gets expensive quickly. You dl 8Gb worth of movies within days, then your speed drops to around 200kbs, hopelessly slow for dl movies.

What I do is find a place that has fast wifi connection, and dl movie there.

AIS packages give you access to any of their 3BB wifi spots. At Central, I connect to 3BB, and download The Daily Show, 22min show, 175 Mb within 15 minutes, on a good day.

All Family marts have 3BB wifi routers, if you find a coffee shop near by, hook to it.

Or Starbucks wifi, I think 1 month of wifi access at SB costs 350 baht, but Ive never used it, no idea how fast it is.

3G for dl large fails is not the way to go.

Newer MKV movies are around 800Mb, so 10 movies a month, are your done.

Pre-paid or post-paid?

I think the only truly uncapped/unlimited plan is one of the "Storm" post-paid plans from TOT 3G (2100 MHz.). However these do have speed limits of 1 and 2 Mbps.

http://www.tot3g.net/PromotionInfo.aspx?pid=23

One or more of TOT's MVNOs (mojo, iec, mojo, 365) did also uncapped/unlimited plans but not sure if those are still available.

On reading a similar post in another thread, I recently went to the local Telewiz shop to ask about TOT 3G unlimited uncapped, but, they told me that TOT sims don't exsist, maybe it was all lost in transation, but i've never seen TOT sim cards anywhere either. Could somebody give me an 'update' ?

Expecting mobile data to replace fixed-line/WiFi broadband is probably unrealistic, and you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

There is a limited amount of mobile data bandwidth available, which has to be shared. Fair-use limits are quite common everywhere in the world, and without which, and/or prohibitive pricing, a few users would consume all the bandwidth. This seems like a simple concept to understand, but I assume I am not doing a good job explaining it?

There are not very many utilities that offer unlimited flat rate pricing - think fuel, water, electricity - other than fixed-line broadband, perhaps as a legacy of AOL/dial-up internet. As with most things, the more you consume, the more you pay. Even fixed-line broadband service providers have started to institute fair-use caps, on the order of 250 GB.

I just have to say, you have little if any understanding of WWAN, WLAN technologies and the commercial environment in which most are deployed.

This is clear by the comparison of utilities such as water and electricity in which the commodity such as water, which is consumed by orders of magnitude less per cost unit against data services. And in fact, the ability for say a residential water service to be over consumed or consumed at all quickly in a manner which would make a comparative argument with data

meaningful is just about impossible.

The differences are quite profound beyond just simple fact that water delivery is a one way system. And it is not difficult to develop infrastructure at all levels of the supply from say catchment, treatment to service right to the end user and be assured that you are prepared to meet demand, high demand, outages in various key processes, leaks and yet people

can just turn on a tap and water comes out.

Hell you cannot even compare the obvious water pressure examples that could be used to compare with bandwidth capacity. They are not anywhere near the same, the force on water vs

bandwidth contention.

Sigh, my point being cause I could not even be bothered to give examples and facts also to support what I have dribbled....

WWAN technologies are generally very capable of delivering services to consumers far beyond the ability of most existing wired infrastructure that is available such as POTS as found in most countries. The motivations of the providers for the seemingly high pricing of capped services or lack of unlimited plans have absolutely little to do with there being bandwidth issues.

Bandwidth is not just some fixed cost metric for the telco, not every bit of data costs the same, even for one customer, during a session the costs of the data service are as much an aggregation of backbone or peering pricing than of the cost of a pipe to radio base station. Furthermore, the cost of that end infrastructure and QOS, segmentation, contention mitigation expansion is actually damn expensive.

And simply while the networks are a growing infrastructure, the costs are going to be higher for the consumer or the consumer will be offered products which are segmented to meet the needs of most people who will use the network for its intended use. The reasons then that say a 5GB a month plan may be the top one can purchase from a telco and not more, is not based to the availability of bandwidth or capacity. It is about attempting to manage what data is actually carried on the service by the consumer.

Simply put the things you can and cannot do satisfactorily with the data on offer limits quite effectively what consumers will use that data for. So most people will be accessing say facebook, hosted email, web browsing, downloading apps and general run of the mill stuff. The telco then substantially mitigates some risks in the back end services by ensuring adequate provisioning of bandwidth and not over provisioning, some further things can be done is to bring the data closer by bringing big sources into the telcos dcs or negotiate peering with other carriers to get at the source at a lower cost.

I am really way hungover and I not even sure this is going to make sense to myself when i read it again later.. But there is some food for thought, and I hope people may stop spewing forth the exact sort of explanations for service costing, caps, unlimited etc etc... Fair use.. something i can dribble on about another day,

i use happy dtac 399B for 1,5GB and i never use over this.. and i use my phone for work, email, facebook and is online 24/7

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

Looks good as I am already on DTAC pre paid. What I cannot find is how much is the additional cost IF you exceed the 1.5gb? Is there a way of monitoring usage? Thanks

i use happy dtac 399B for 1,5GB and i never use over this.. and i use my phone for work, email, facebook and is online 24/7

Looks good as I am already on DTAC pre paid. What I cannot find is how much is the additional cost IF you exceed the 1.5gb? Is there a way of monitoring usage? Thanks

I think he's talking about one of their "unlimited" plans, actually, which means that once you exceed 1.5GB you still have internet access, the speed is just throttled. Not only that, but once you exceed the "maximum speed" volume, you'll get an SMS offering more data at high speed for some amount of money, which you can activate with another USSD code right from your phone (no need to call anybody).

overall I'm pretty happy with my DTAC experience - not perfect, but so far clearly better than AIS. I originally signed up with AIS but a friend loaned me a spare DTAC prepaid card after hearing all my complaining smile.png, and I'm gonna jump ship

Edited by build6
  • Like 1

then when it s used up the first 1,5GB you get a sms, there ask if you want to buy 1GB more for 150Bath.. my wife do that every month :)

I pay 999 but for a 7gb at dtac, but telephone calls are charged separate, but after the 7 GB, my slow down speeds are still very good, can download quickly, and look at internet with out waiting, I love it, best net I've ever used, ( I use this connection on a galaxy tab 2 10.1)

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...

The largest plan I see on AIS/Post-paid is 10 GB/1,699 baht; not sure what the FuP is, maybe 256 Kbps?. Maybe stop in an AIS/TWZ shop and ask if they have anything larger? Or ring them? Or email them: [email protected]

TOT have two post-paid Storm plans which offer truly uncapped/unlimited usage albeit with speed limits of 1 (790 baht) or 2 Mbps (990 baht).

http://www.tot3g.net/PromotionInfo.aspx?pid=23

Hi!

Can tot send also a prepaid card with post no store here, the signal is 4 km away from my location have it in night time on daytime deapear!

Not sure tot rent other networks

iPhone 5 c shows 3 net on dtac

On iPad 3 got only edge

No signal on ais 3G on iPhone 5 c

Hotline told not avalible here but when I put sim in old iPads s

3G ais is here very strange

Hi!

Can tot send also a prepaid card with post no store here, the signal is 4 km away from my location have it in night time on daytime deapear!

Not sure tot rent other networks

iPhone 5 c shows 3 net on dtac

On iPad 3 got only edge

No signal on ais 3G on iPhone 5 c

Hotline told not avalible here but when I put sim in old iPads s

3G ais is here very strange

I don't think tot will comply. You can try to drive amphur and find a TOT (DSL) branch and ask about tot 3g sim card.

If you get tot 3g signal, they have unlimited data package at 1mbit and 2mbit.

If signal is weak or doesn't work inside your home but works outside, you can buy some equipment to make it work.

Check aircard3g.com

AIS 3G will cover whole Thailand (except unpopulated jungle areas) end of this year.