Can anyone translate this soil that doesn't seem to work?

Bmouthboyo

It's probably the same stuff (soil for planting all kinds of trees). I am not into farming or gardening, but in the years I live here, I always see the kind of soil sold in bags. I think you would have to mix the soil yourself if you want to have something different.

Edited by kriswillems

Any idea if this is any better suited to potting? My seeds have not been germinating well and I am not sure if the soil is suitable?

If the problem is poor germination rates, it's unlikely that the growing medium is the culprit. It could be that the seed isn't of particularly high quality, or has been stored badly. However, it could also be a problems with controlling the moisture level in the medium.

What I notice is that the cellulose/wood pull levels in this kind of soil is very high, but the organic material looks like rough fibers, it didn่'t have time to decompose.

I am not sure which kind of organic material they use, but if I have to guess I would say it's coconut or palm shell or maybe bamboo or another kind of wood pulp (maybe leftovers from paper or MDF factories).

If I change the soil in the plants at home, it has only very little effect on how they grow, which is not what I would expect.

I think this kind of soil it too rough, it's not homogeneous, the organic material is not decomposed - probably not so good for seedlings.

I remember my father used a more sandy, more homogeneous and more black kind of soil for seedlings. He also used a small greenhouse (plastic box) with you allowed you to control the moisture level.

PS. The soil on the second picture has bamboo pulp in it.

Edited by kriswillems

• 3 weeks later...