Bangkok protests: Purple substance mixed with tear gas proven not dangerous

webfact

Purple substance mixed with tear gas proven not dangerous
By English News

13861522252026.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 5 - Ramathibodi Hospital announced that the purple chemical used and mixed with tear gas to disperse protesters has the property equal to tear gas with a neutral pH.

Ramathibodi Poison Center chief Winai Wananukul said such a mixed substance has never been used to disperse the crowd before.

He said tear gas is usually not dangerous but will irritate the skin and respiratory system for 10-30 minutes.

Dr Winai said according to tests of the liquid samples collected from those injured from the recent protests and hospitalised at Vajira Hospital, the purple substance mixed with the tear gas was neither acid nor sulphur as understood by the public and could be disposed of immediately by clean water. Otherwise, it would create blisters on the skin. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-05

It's a solution of potassium permanganate..about 20,000,000 people in Thailand use it every day to wash fruit and vegeatble. There is a greater risk of being kicked to death by a duck than suffering serious side affects from exposure to this in low concentration

" the purple substance mixed with the tear gas was neither acid nor sulphur as understood by the public and could be disposed of immediately by clean water. Otherwise, it would create blisters on the skin"

Sounds fairly dangerous to me.

The news article is probably suffering from a bit of a translation / context problem, the blisters will be from the tear gas -- "He said tear gas is usually not dangerous but will irritate the skin ........................."

As for the purple substance more than likely - Condy's crystals Potassium permanganate - completely harmless - used in aquariums to sterilse the water among other things.

Edited by Artisi

It's a solution of potassium permanganate..about 20,000,000 people in Thailand use it every day to wash fruit and vegeatble. There is a greater risk of being kicked to death by a duck than suffering serious side affects from exposure to this in low concentration

" the purple substance mixed with the tear gas was neither acid nor sulphur as understood by the public and could be disposed of immediately by clean water. Otherwise, it would create blisters on the skin"

So is it or tear gas in general responsible for blistering? Genuine question.

In what concentrations were the two (you mention only one) chemicals used in the tear gas as opposed to the concentrations used to wash vegetables?

Do people usually inhale the chemical with tear gas when washing vegetables?

I'll let you slide on asking for proof of your exaggerated numbers regarding its use as your penchant for not responding to queries on your unsupported statements is well documented in the original thread.

Yes, Tear gas can cause blistering but usually only when exposure is in enclosed spaces, long duration. Not common for the fleeting exposure...most people run from it ( the underpants guy is the exception and managed to recover and throw 20 containers back at the police)

So is it or tear gas in general responsible for blistering? Genuine question.

In what concentrations were the two (you mention only one) chemicals used in the tear gas as opposed to the concentrations used to wash vegetables?

I'll let you slide on asking for proof of your exaggerated numbers regarding its use as your penchant for not responding to queries on your unsupported statements is well documented in the original thread.

You ask about concentration of chemicals in water, so I ask you, how many people were hospitalized with serious health problem due to the water spraying?

You ask about concentration of chemicals in water, so I ask you, how many people were hospitalized with serious health problem due to the water spraying?

As per the OP, it seems now that the chemicals were dispersed with tear gas and not water cannons. As far as how many were hospitalized, I've not seen reports on the numbers involved, which is not surprising given the general dearth of of information and vacillating details regarding the issue.

As per the OP, it seems now that the chemicals were dispersed with tear gas and not water cannons. As far as how many were hospitalized, I've not seen reports on the numbers involved, which is not surprising given the general dearth of of information and vacillating details regarding the issue.

I see: so basically we are talking about nothing smile.png Because there is no any fact proving chemical were dangerous, and someone suffered about their use.

I guess I am out of commenting the topic again then smile.png

Oh, I can just imagine the reaction had the police used bullets instead. But fortunately wisdom prevailed and they used a harmless solution and water cannons. No-one died, no-one seriously injured. Well done to the police for the careful and safe management of a rabid mob...

Ramathibodi Poison Center chief Winai Wananukul said such a mixed substance has never been used to disperse the crowd before.

Yingluck Administration: The hub of innovative world's firsts.

bah.gif