Immigration vows strictness on retirement visa requirements

Marriage to a Thai is a lot of work! cheesy.gif

Marriage to a Thai is a lot of work???? I'm married to a Thai, and I don't do any work.

I bet she is like my Thai wife.

Defiantly costs me money.biggrin.png Not a big deal.smile.png when I got together with her I used the same criteria as I did with my ex back home. I did not demand money of them all though they did work and when they didn't I just continued to pay all the living expenses.wai.gif

My wife has her money and I have mine, but as I have a bit more than her, I do help her from time to time

• Like 2

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marriage to a Thai is a lot of work! cheesy.gif

Marriage to a Thai is a lot of work???? I'm married to a Thai, and I don't do any work.

I bet she is like my Thai wife.

Defiantly costs me money.biggrin.png Not a big deal.smile.png when I got together with her I used the same criteria as I did with my ex back home. I did not demand money of them all though they did work and when they didn't I just continued to pay all the living expe

My wife has her money as she works, and I have mine, but I do help her from time to time.

aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 16:08, said:

Why is a "married to a Thai" visa only requiring 400,000? Makes no sense that it should be 400,000 when two people are being supported. Why not 1,600,000 baht for a married farang?

I will simplify what I said for those of you that can't understand. The names or types of visas is not the point.

A farang comes to Thailand and gets some sort of visa arrangement to stay. He must have 800,000 baht security deposit in the bank if it is a retirement extension. He is only supporting himself.

Another farang comes to Thailand and wants to stay. He gets married and is supporting a wife but only has to have 400,000 in the bank. That's two people being secured on half the money.

It is illogical to require half the funds to support two people (or more) when they will likely have close to double the expenses of single person. If the government is worried that the farang will have large expenses then that is more likely to happen when he is supporting two people and the extended family. Even more probable there will be emergencies and even more so when there are children. The 400,000 is completely inadequate in this situation. A working wife with a "really good" job might make 15,000 baht/month (180,000 per year) but not likely with a poorly educated Issan wife. That is still less the 800,000/year total. It is rare for a lucky farang to have a working wife and not one that expects to be taken care of. Makes perfect sense that someone supporting two or more people should have to have more SECURITY money in the bank. Well, that might not be true when Thainess and Thai logic are considered. Perhaps ThaiVisa members are acquiring Thai logic.

My wife was making ฿32'000.- per month as an Assistant to MD (MNC), she striked Platinums when she GOT me... I'm no farang, I'm Singapore Chinese ! Yes i agreed you're making sense but she gave up with the snap of the fingers.

I live in style... I can afford... It's the country's rule...I obey in style ! Simple~~~ Yes !

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

Can't see the drama being played out here by many of the posters. If you want to stay in Thailand, you have 3 options, 1. extension based on working, 2. extension based on being married or supporting a Thai national, 3. extension based on retirement.

Your choice and it's entirely up to you which path you choose with each having its own rules and regulations - nothing we can change and not our business anyway.

Seems to me, other than permanent residency which is virtually impossible the 3 options are pretty easy to comply with when compared to the majority of western countries. How many western countries can you virtually walk into as you can with Thailand and then apply to stay year in and year out for a few thousand Dollars / Pounds plus a bit of simple paperwork and a couple of photo's.

• Like 1

RedBullHorn, on 05 Dec 2013 - 20:51, said:
aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 20:26, said:
aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 16:08, said:aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 16:08, said:

Why is a "married to a Thai" visa only requiring 400,000? Makes no sense that it should be 400,000 when two people are being supported. Why not 1,600,000 baht for a married farang?

I will simplify what I said for those of you that can't understand. The names or types of visas is not the point.

A farang comes to Thailand and gets some sort of visa arrangement to stay. He must have 800,000 baht security deposit in the bank if it is a retirement extension. He is only supporting himself.

Another farang comes to Thailand and wants to stay. He gets married and is supporting a wife but only has to have 400,000 in the bank. That's two people being secured on half the money.

It is illogical to require half the funds to support two people (or more) when they will likely have close to double the expenses of single person. If the government is worried that the farang will have large expenses then that is more likely to happen when he is supporting two people and the extended family. Even more probable there will be emergencies and even more so when there are children. The 400,000 is completely inadequate in this situation. A working wife with a "really good" job might make 15,000 baht/month (180,000 per year) but not likely with a poorly educated Issan wife. That is still less the 800,000/year total. It is rare for a lucky farang to have a working wife and not one that expects to be taken care of. Makes perfect sense that someone supporting two or more people should have to have more SECURITY money in the bank. Well, that might not be true when Thainess and Thai logic are considered. Perhaps ThaiVisa members are acquiring Thai logic.

My wife was making ฿32'000.- per month as an Assistant to MD (MNC), she striked Platinums when she GOT me... I'm no farang, I'm Singapore Chinese ! Yes i agreed you're making sense but she gave up with the snap of the fingers.

I live in style... I can afford... It's the country's rule...I obey in style ! Simple~~~ Yes !

BFD. So what?

• Like 2

Some regular used words by foreigners are very hard to find in Thai dictionaries

Like why?

Now perhaps this is one of the main structural problems in Thai society, not to question anything except when it is useful (prayood)

opposite world were we question in order to gain knowledge They question when its to late.

Oh well

A nice day anyway.

clap2.gif what you missed but, is, they had it, but replaced it with a phrase "up to you" cheesy.gif

Whatever the rules are now, expect them to get even harsher if an ultra nationalist like Suthep comes to power.

Easy solved.

Let's milk the Thai when they travel to our countries, don't make it easy for them to enjoy living abroad. In the end, they all love their land, so why leave it anyway?

• Like 1

BFD. So what?

So what !?!! I answered your question... If you can't make the grade live somewhere else that's cheaper... smile.png

farang kenok~ I don't beg...laugh.png

So...in other words...The Royal Thai Police have been TOTALLY wrong at immigration since 2008?

And this very young Lt. Colonel is about to SET it all correct. Thank Buddha!

Can he fix the TAXI MAFIA and jet ski scams also in Phuket?

He is super cop in his little pink shirt.

I think he will be writing parking tickets in south Thailand very soon.

Your thinking is so weird!

You should be asking why do we need to have anything in our bank accounts for the sake of a retirement or a marriage visa.

Can you tell me of any other country that stipulates this requirement?

Perhaps a simplistic answer is, because Thai law requires it. Another countries requirements are

moot unless one is complying with its visa requirements. When in Thailand, I hear and obey. When I can't or won't do that, I can exercise other options.

Living Life on Life's Terms.

Try obtaining a UK settlement visa for a Thai wife with a zero bank balance !

I'll pass on all three counts, however, I do get your meaning. :) Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

You didn't answer anything. You response is irrelevant to my post.

Yeah right~ Your BFD post wasn't relevant to my post either...

It's very simple, if you can afford like me [and the other] why complain...

I spent money like flowing water...Yeah BFD !

Edited by RedBullHorn

RedBullHorn, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:29, said:
aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:15, said:

Yeah right~ Your BDF post wasn't relevant to my post either...

My advice to spend some of it on a reading comprehension class. The topic has nothing to do with spending money. BTW, I couldn't care less about how you spend money (not that I believe you). Usually the people that boast the loudest have to least to brag about.

Although I don't have a farang wife I guess if you wanted too one of you could get a retirement visa on your 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. Just don't ever apply together for your retirement visas or indicate that you are married..The other could get a 90 day visa and then go out of the country and get another 90 day visa. Then transfer the 800,000 baht from the retirement visa holder's bank account into the new retirement visa seekers account a number of months before and then they can use the same 800,000 baht for their retirement visa. The process will have to be reversed again when the first visa holder needs to re-apply. Sure beats tying up 1.6 million baht in two Thai banks accounts!

• Like 1

BFD. So what?
If I understand the BFD correctly, it is tasteless and I missed any substance to your post to explain your position. Not that anyone is required to explain. Juvenile posts are commonplace and tell a lot about the poster. I prefer to put my beverage down, contemplate the post and either reply or remain silent. Edited by Benmart

My advice to spend some of it on a reading comprehension class. The topic has nothing to do with spending money. BTW, I couldn't care less about how you spend money (not that I believe you). Usually the people that boast the loudest have to least to brag about.

Flowing water can be a torrent or a mere trickle. I try not to read between the lines.

Yes, Why the difference from a farang married to a Thai ?

This is discrimination.

Like it is discrimination when they charge Thai people 50 bahts to enter a waterfall and charge farangs 300 bahts.

How would Thai people feel if they visit Europe and where charge 5 times up.

Europe don’t do that, only Thais do.

But it is not a very nice way to threat other people.

• Like 1

Just to preserve my sanity; if what you have posted is a true translation of the law, how on earth can anyone come to the conclusion that a spouse needs 800,000 in the bank?

It is correct. It's the translation that can be found on immigrations website.

I have said the same thing as you.

What they should do is a strict enforcement of (3) of 2.20. The same as they do for extensions based on marriage to a Thai that has the same requirement.

I think that you have nailed it with " strict enforcement" they must have reasons to believe that some couples are not genuine but strange that their solution is to abrogate (3) 2.20 completely instead of dealing with the problem.

I think you're probably right. The scaremongering generated by this nonsense could have been avoided with a little due diligence from the onset.

Edited by evadgib

Because many married foreigners and/or their Thai spouses also work in Thailand thus adding to the family income as opposed to a retiree who is prohibited from working therefore needing to show they can support themselves thus requiring a higher amount.

Immigration vows strictness on retirement visa requirements

Fine. Meanwhile they will continue to evade "strictness" on things that REALLY matter .. like corruption, lack of adequate health and safety standards, lack of road and driving education and enforcement, lack of an HONEST education system, competant police force ... the list goes on. It's too depressing.

Stuff you Thailand ... I'm retiring over the hill in Cambodia.

• Like 1

Your advise~~~ coming from someone who still don't get the point. Talking about comprehension...cheesy.gif

Who would care about what you would believe. The POINT in regards to my spending power is to enlighten you people like me wouldn't be worried about anything monetary. It's not about BFD or "so what"...It's about me not so concern about 400k, 800k or 1.6mil. In regards to your underestimating the capability of the wages of a "normal" Thai woman and their ultimate desire to live the good life disregarding their wages...You under estimated their earning power.

You debated your views in regards to the necessary amount of money for the destinated extension of stay according to the Visa class...I posted that it's no concern in people of my class. Fair exchange. Me ? I've absolutely no concern how you would like to brag about your pathetic livelihood in the LOS.

Don't bother to do a come back, I'm logging out and not interested. laugh.png

Misab, on 05 Dec 2013 - 22:01, said:
aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 16:08, said:

This is discrimination.

Like it is discrimination when they charge Thai people 50 bahts to enter a waterfall and charge farangs 300 bahts.

How would Thai people feel if they visit Europe and where charge 5 times up.

Europe don’t do that, only Thais do.

But it is not a very nice way to threat other people.

Double pricing isn't unique to Thailand. It happens in many places around the world. There will often be a discounted rate for locals. Hotels, tours, amusement parks, shows, museums and casinos often have specials for those with a local ID. It isn't very unusual for a farang to get a discounted price if he shows a Thai license.

RedBullHorn, on 05 Dec 2013 - 22:17, said:
aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:33, said:
RedBullHorn, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:29, said:RedBullHorn, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:29, said:
aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:15, said:aguy30, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:15, said:

Your advise~~~ coming from someone who still don't get the point. Talking about comprehension...cheesy.gif

Who would care about what you would believe. The POINT in regards to my spending power is to enlighten you people like me wouldn't be worried about anything monetary. It's not about BFD or "so what"...It's about me not so concern about 400k, 800k or 1.6mil. In regards to your underestimating the capability of the wages of a "normal" Thai woman and their ultimate desire to live the good life disregarding their wages...You under estimated their earning power.

You debated your views in regards to the necessary amount of money for the destinated extension of stay according to the Visa class...I posted that it's no concern in people of my class. Fair exchange. Me ? I've absolutely no concern how you would like to brag about your pathetic livelihood in the LOS.

Don't bother to do a come back, I'm logging out and not interested. laugh.png

I am guessing that your response made more sense to you than to anyone else.

Once again, a reading comprehension class would be a wise investment.

Your thinking is so weird!

You should be asking why do we need to have anything in our bank accounts for the sake of a retirement or a marriage visa.

Can you tell me of any other country that stipulates this requirement?

I would think most countries, or they'd be out of their mind! But I only know the Scandinavian countries' rules, and yes: Of course you have to prove that you are able to support yourself so you will not be a burden to your new chosen country of residence. Without this proof, no admittance. Weird thinking? Yeah, sure

There is a conflict between the Ministerial Order and the Police Order. The former does NOT allow wifes of retiries to piggy back n their husband retirement extention. The latter does. They tried to enforce this in Bangkok a couple of years ago and it lasted about 2 days.

Could you please post the text of the Ministerial Order to which you refer or a link to it?

It wasn't that long ago that foreigners could extend on the basis of their Thai wife's salary until they knocked it on the head for no reason and no grandfather clause sad.png

Went through that one myself, a year later it changed.

Sometimes I really do believe that the bloke with the medals can't stand status quo, and just fiddles with stuff because he thinks it justifies his existence.

• Like 1

So what??

I doubt that any foreign couple would have trouble stumping up the money.....and it isn't as though you have to PAY the money, just stick it in an Interest Bearing Bank Account for the prescribed amount of time each year. I leave my 400K in the bank year after year, it earns a bit of interest and I have no worries.

• Like 1

The purpose of the financial requirement for the marriage extension is not to pay expenses for anybody other than the applicant himself.