Thai telecommunications: New plan for 11-digit phone numbers considered

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will miss having some middle aged woman who can't speak a lick of English calling me 4 or 5 times speaking at me loudly in Thai.

yo rkidlad, and the rest of u complaining about the language and other skills of the Thai people - if you haven't noticed you are in THAILAND!! the land of the THAIS. it is YOU that have to learn THEIR language and THEIR habits if you want to live here, not they have to change in order to accommodate you

I can speak Thai well enough to ask the caller if they can speak English, if they say "no" I can then tell them in Thai that they have called the wrong number.

Why do they then call me again 5 or 6 times to get the same result?

What usually works for me is ..... if the wrong number caller calls back a second time I say ..... " fang dii dii ! toe pit ! " The expression "fang dii dii" (listen good) is what Thai primary school teachers say to their students as a kind of reprimand. I think it gives them flashbacks to their primary school days and also kind of embarrasses them as I am treating them like a child. I also use the "fang dii dii" for the hawkers on the street that won't take no for an answer. It usually works and gives them a red face and they go away.

You can call your provider and get those ads SMS turned off.

It also seems that they can ignore you. Don't get me wrong I like DTAC's call centre. They are polite, they speak English well and they do try hard. I fear, however, that they are fighting against a system that they don't understand and that has been "poked and prodded" to the point of no return by people who need more training.

Huhhh, how long ago did they from 9 to 10 digits, stating that it would last for YEARS.

Maybe it's better to add 2 digits....bunch-a-<deleted>.

That was in 2006 when mobile numbers got the extra preceding digit "8".

I was involved with part of the effort at AIS.

You couldn't make it up: Thailand's mobile numbers just got 1 digit longer

But apparently whoever wrote the email notification did make it up ... or more probably didn't bother to read the article.

Regulator eager to avoid early move to 11-digit numbers, which would be costly

Currently Thailand uses 10-digit mobile-phone numbers with the prefixes 08 and 09.

Why don't they just make a new prefix?... "07" ???

03, 04, 05 and 07 are currently used for fixed-line numbering in various provinces, on a sort of regional basis - along with 02 in Bangkok.

Then why not change those numbers to 11 digits. Let TOT have all the fun/cost rather than sharing it out amongst the mobile operators. The 03, 04, 05, 07 could then be used by the mobile operators as well.

Mobile 0819999999 send ring ring.

versus 08199999999 ring ring. there is no send it is automatic once 11 digits are reached.

would never cross. Would they?

Far less land line numbers to change than mobile numbers I'd guess.

You can call your provider and get those ads SMS turned off.

It also seems that they can ignore you. Don't get me wrong I like DTAC's call centre. They are polite, they speak English well and they do try hard. I fear, however, that they are fighting against a system that they don't understand and that has been "poked and prodded" to the point of no return by people who need more training.

No problem with unwanted SMSs on my 14-years registered post-paid DTAC number. Might get one-a-week (mostly BIG-C) now versus 10-a-day before DTAC switched them off. There used to be an unwanted one trying to sell me ringtones that always arrived just after Kbank sent me a wanted balance change message. That seemed the hardest to get rid of but DTAC did in the end. Well done DTAC the best operator IMO.

Edited by Keesters

They could start with getting rid of the annoying zero.

The leading zero is a steering digit to indicate the following string is a number in national format.

True enough, some countries seem to get along fine without using a steering digit for national numbers.

A lot of it is historical, how the number plans were developed inside each country, and how that fits into the worldwide jumble of numbers.

• Like 2

10 digits, forget the leading zero, next digit could be 6,8, or 9, following 8 digits could be any combination of 0 to 9. That gives 3 x 99,999,999 numbers = 3 less than 300 million. How is that not enough numbers? It's enough for 4 numbers each man woman and child in Thailand. What Thailand needs is not more numbers that can be dialed wrong or hard to remember but a better system of issuing & keeping numbers. Why not a number issued for life?

Edited by Keesters

Almost exactly 20 years ago this had to be done in the UK as we were running out of landline numbers due to companies having DDI (Direct Dial Inbound) number ranges and to accommodate new services such as premium rate services. They added a 1 before most numbers and a 2 before London numbers. It was called PhONE day. Worked brilliantly. They'll have to do it here sooner or later.

What about the 1000s of "preferred" numbers the retailers are hoarding hoping to sell for big Baht? Those should be the dirst ones reclaimed or ordered sold at face value.

and all the "unlucky" numbers which nobody wants to use 084-444-4444 anyone?

As we're on the subject of phones, I had a number of strange phone calls yesterday. A female operator was asking me to accept a call which would cost me 50 pounds be pressing button 1, or refusing the call by pressing button 2.

Believe me, I pressed 2, but what the heck???

Not sure if this was some sort of scam.

Huhhh, how long ago did they from 9 to 10 digits, stating that it would last for YEARS.

Maybe it's better to add 2 digits....bunch-a-<deleted>.

You are about as well informed as a rock. Perhaps you should be more concerned with 2 digit vs.3 digit as pertaining to IQ number? biggrin.png

Why not use the present, initial, digit on Mobile 'phones? At the moment every 10 Digit Mobile Number starts with "0" - 081, 087 for example, followed by another 7 digits - make the new numbers 181, then 281 etc. etc. - there would be literally millions of new Numbers available then.

Patrick

this solution is too smart,impossible to explain this to "them"

This solution is not viable which would be impossible to explain to "you"

Not sure if this was some sort of scam.

For any suspected telephone scam the ONLY button you press is the one to end the call.

Repeat as required.

With some imagination wrong numbers can be huge fun, especially at mid and month end when you just pout off "lucky" numbers in Thai; as there is increased call traffic at these times as the nattering classing spend the early morning hours exchanging their visions, dreams and prophecies for the impending draw.

The sales calls I catch, many will call and ring off quickly to entice the buffaloes with phones to call them back, will sometimes just want to speak English as practice - I guess they are bored in their call centres so if you have time it can be a nice distraction. You just need to manage the call - when the question comes round, as it will, "Do you have a Thai girlfriend?" - I respond at once "...oh you wanted to speak with my girlfriend - she is here you speak to her now...." they hang up before you complete the sentence cheesy.gif

In the no English spoken situations - the response depends on my mood and the company I'm with at the time and how long the miscalling Thai will remain rabbiting at me as I do in return; sometimes giving detailed instructions on disarming a nuclear warhead (I saw it done once in a Bond film so I can talk people through it.) or my default response to Time-share sales staff: How to construct the perfect hamburger.

If they pick-up on and respond in English when you say "Hello" farang pronunciation rather than the drawn out Thai style - you must quickly attempt to place your order for a pizza - if you can work in the "Do you do liver?" / "Do you deliver?" gag you get an extra +10 points.

Why not use the present, initial, digit on Mobile 'phones? At the moment every 10 Digit Mobile Number starts with "0" - 081, 087 for example, followed by another 7 digits - make the new numbers 181, then 281 etc. etc. - there would be literally millions of new Numbers available then.

Patrick

this solution is too smart,impossible to explain this to "them"

This solution is not viable which would be impossible to explain to "you"

Some of us work in telecom and understand the restrictions that exist in the use of certain numbers and digit patterns.

Others make some proposals that, at first blush, might make perfect sense...but are not really workable.

There is nothing wrong with that, but I do get a laugh when non-telco people throw out a suggestion, then state that the people working in telecom are not smart enough to figure it out.

It won't stop the pesky SMSs....most of which come from the bloody phone company itself, advertising products you don't want or need ( and in spite of requests for them to stop). Nothing better than telemarketers by stealth.

Go tell them to shove it in a fair tone of voice,,,,and they stop sending sms and there calls,,,works for me done this about 12 months ago thumbsup.gif

Currently Thailand uses 10-digit mobile-phone numbers with the prefixes 08 and 09.

Why don't they just make a new prefix?... "07" ???

"07" is already in use for land lines in the southern provinces of: Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, Phatthalung, Satun, Songkhla, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Trang, Phang Nga, Phuket, Chumphon, Ranong, and Surat Thani

Edited by BB1950

I will miss having some middle aged woman who can't speak a lick of English calling me 4 or 5 times speaking at me loudly in Thai.

yo rkidlad, and the rest of u complaining about the language and other skills of the Thai people - if you haven't noticed you are in THAILAND!! the land of the THAIS. it is YOU that have to learn THEIR language and THEIR habits if you want to live here, not they have to change in order to accommodate you

Yes, you're absolutely right but you've completely missed the point and the context.

The point is that I am clearly not the person they wanted to contact. If the lady doesn't speak a lick of English, I doubt very much she's trying to contact a foreigner.

If I'm at home in the UK and I call someone speaking Chinese, I think it's fair to assume they're not the person I want. It doesn't take 5+ phone calls and my Chinese girlfriend to call them and confirm I have the wrong number.

I can now speak quite good Thai, and this was more of a problem when I first got here. When I first got here, my Thai sucked but 'THAIS living in THAILAND' didn't seem to take any offence.

My comment was made in jest and was certainly not a criticism of anyone's language skills. It was a funny observation that only you have taken offence to. Remember, you're a 'FOREIGNER' and have no right to be offended outside of your own country.

Point taken about your comment being in jest. I got a smile out of it- thanks. But if actual insulting or malicious statements are made by foreigners you are absolutely wrong that other non citizens have no right to be offended. If an unfair and denigrating assertion is made about people that I like and respect I have every right to admonish the author and challenge the veracity of his statement. I have more justification for doing this than an uninformed foreigner does to make unfriendly commentary that is capricious slander or is deliberate mischaracterization. Your statement- "Remember, you're a 'FOREIGNER' and have no right to be offended outside of your own country." Is absolutely ludicrous and untenable. Let's take it conversely. "...you're a 'FOREIGNER' and have no right to OFFEND outside of your own country." Oh well, there goes this forum.

Does this mean fewer people calling my number by mistake?

I will miss having some middle aged woman who can't speak a lick of English calling me 4 or 5 times speaking at me loudly in Thai. I will also miss speaking to her friend who can speak enough English to establish that I am indeed the wrong number.

"Does your friend know any foreigners?"

"Huh?"

"Is your friend trying to contact a farang? Does she know any farangs?"

"No!"

No this means more people calling any new number thinking it is someone's OLD number.

It also tells you that 30% of numbers are not in use, and so are going to waste...

But let's talk about adding more numbers so that 30% is a larger pool of unused numbers.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Just think what fun to reporgram all the numbers in your phone - I remember when they added the extra number in the past. But for wrong numbers have some fun. NONE of my three sims are registered as I have had them a long time OR just got the new one and no one asked for anything but the money. On my land line in another country apparently my number was once used by as hotel and I still get calls for a room - so - I am polite and ask if they want one with a girl or no girl and if mirrors on the ceiling are desired. If on my cell phone and they ask for someone I say OH the police picked him up last night try the police station he may still be there. Likewise I speak Thai and Bengali so I can respone in either language if the person speaks Thai answer in Bangali or English answer in thai - this is fun also. Remember phones can be fun too.

Just think what fun to reporgram all the numbers in your phone - I remember when they added the extra number in the past. But for wrong numbers have some fun. NONE of my three sims are registered as I have had them a long time OR just got the new one and no one asked for anything but the money. On my land line in another country apparently my number was once used by as hotel and I still get calls for a room - so - I am polite and ask if they want one with a girl or no girl and if mirrors on the ceiling are desired. If on my cell phone and they ask for someone I say OH the police picked him up last night try the police station he may still be there. Likewise I speak Thai and Bengali so I can respone in either language if the person speaks Thai answer in Bangali or English answer in thai - this is fun also. Remember phones can be fun too.

When I receive a 'wrong number' call, I always try to make the caller's day a bit more surreal...