Polished concrete floors

ericpasansai

the floors on 2 of 3

Great look..Posted Image But tell me ..did you polish then add a clear coat?And you want to wax over the clear, or am i misreading that?

I did mine in Aus many years ago but no clear coat...just beeswax polished into prepared floor.

where can I buy the appropriate wax

the floors on 2 of 3

Great look..thumbsup.gif But tell me ..did you polish then add a clear coat?And you want to wax over the clear, or am i misreading that?

I did mine in Aus many years ago but no clear coat...just beeswax polished into prepared floor.

I did mine in aus..i could tell you where i bought , but not much help to you in C/M i feel...

Try googleing the places where bees wax is gathered...HINT.".bees"smile.png

Seriously tho...why do you feel the need to add wax over the seal you have already....i honestly cant see any advantage...would you care to enlighten me ?

I used wax as i said to 'seal and shine " the concrete with out the need of chemical sealers [a personal choice only]

I believe you would use one or the other, not a combination...

Edited by andreandre

the floors on 2 of 3

Great look..Posted Image But tell me ..did you polish then add a clear coat?And you want to wax over the clear, or am i misreading that?

I did mine in aus..i could tell you where i bought , but not much help to you in C/M i feel...

Try googleing the places where bees wax is gathered...HINT.".bees"Posted Image

Seriously tho...why do you feel the need to add wax over the seal you have already....i honestly cant see any advantage...would you care to enlighten me ?

I used wax as i said to 'seal and shine " the concrete with out the need of chemical sealers [a personal choice only]

I believe you would use one or the other, not a combination...

Let me understand. Your answer to my question is you bought a product in Australia many years ago and you don't understand why I want to wax my floors. You go on to say that it was a personal choice as opposed to what? An impersonal choice.

Valuable contribution. Keep them coming.

Let me understand. Your answer to my question is you bought a product in Australia many years ago and you don't understand why I want to wax my floors. You go on to say that it was a personal choice as opposed to what? An impersonal choice.

Valuable contribution. Keep them coming.

First, go to my post #7 where i said..;"I did mine in Aus many years ago but no clear coat...just beeswax polished into prepared floor."

So in reply to your brief question "where can I buy the appropriate wax" my answer was honest and appropriate..Yes? It was bought and done in Aus...[30 years ago in fact]

I also suggested using google...its all on there if you want to take a peek.

Second..my query about you now wanting to wax your floors and why.

The question is pertinant because there are two ways of sealing your floor.

Here from a web site;

Sealing the Surface:

The final process involved in a polished floor is the application of a surface sealer. A range of options exist from wax-based products to various other chemical sealers which give a durable, long-wearing protective coating to the surface.

One way as suggested above ,and that i did in my home is to use beeswax..that is used to seal and shine the floor.....job is done and finished.

The other way, is to use a "man made" chemical concoction sealer to seal and shine the floor...job is done and finished

The ''personal choice" quote meant exactly that...my personal choice was to use bees wax as sealer instead of a man made chemical as sealer, because i didn't want my kids and myself breathing in chemicals being released into the house over a long period of time as happens as part of the sealing process

One method or the other is used,not both and you said you had already sealed the floor,and i queried :why would you now want to wax it? as the job is already finished.

Its like if you had laid polished marble floor or glazed tiles..the job is done...no one would add beeswax to these either...or would they?w00t.gif

I hope you now understand wai.gif

Chill out and enjoy.

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

the floors on 2 of 3

Was the colors mixed in to the concrete? Or just spread on the surface and floated in?

As for doing the work I imagine any company that does stamped concrete could do a smooth finish.

Maybe if you asked the concrete companies they would know or know of some one who could help you find what you are looking for.

Well, looks like the OP doesn't want to share any info now...

Maybe he's angry at the floor polishers...take a good look at the first photo [red floor]..there appears to be a large collection of pieces of reinforcing steel and rubber protruding from the floor and they as usual have just polished and sealed the floor all around it instead of putting it all in the rubbish,,,amazing huh..smile.png

• Like 1

the floors on 2 of 3

Was the colors mixed in to the concrete? Or just spread on the surface and floated in?

As for doing the work I imagine any company that does stamped concrete could do a smooth finish.

Maybe if you asked the concrete companies they would know or know of some one who could help you find what you are looking for.

I''ll try and help out here seeing as the OP has lost interest ..

Many ways of doing this..

You can start with an existing concrete floor...grind and polish it with concrete grinders then stain with acid stain to whatever colour/colours and design you like.

You are only limited to what you want by your own immagination....

This way tho' you are a little limited texture wise by what ever the original concrete contained...ie probably smaller gravel in the mix ...but thats your choice, not a big issue.

[2] you can apply a skim coat over the old concrete with whatever colour and size/sizes of gravel in it, and then finish as normal.[grind and polish]

[3] you can start from scratch on bare ground and lay your new concrete consisting of what ever texture and colour you desire and finish as above.

[4] If you want to save a few baht, you can lay a new basic concrete floor and then add the skim coat as in #2 and finish as above.

This is a great way to customise your own floors and have something exactly as you want, not just what is available commercially.

PS..This is not limited to just floors...I did some beautiful benchtops, vanities, table tops also using the same methods.

The finished product needs to be sealed tho' as concrete is very porous and will stain easily if left unsealed.

As i posted earlier two main ways of doing so.[Take note OP]

One is a commercial sealer containing chemicals that are given off during the sealing process..not my choice at all.

The other is by using natural beeswax as has been used since Adam was a boy ..;..

Both do the job and as i said earlier it was my personal choice not to use man made chemicals because of the unpleasant smells and used beeswax method instead.

Hope this helps as you can get a great look, nothing too commercial looking as is often seen in some homes....

• Like 1

the floors on 2 of 3

You can start with an existing concrete floor...grind and polish it with concrete grinders then stain with acid stain to whatever colour/colours and design you like.

This way tho' you are a little limited texture wise by what ever the original concrete contained...ie probably smaller gravel in the mix ...but thats your choice, not a big issue.

[2] you can apply a skim coat over the old concrete with whatever colour and size/sizes of gravel in it, and then finish as normal.[grind and polish]

[3] you can start from scratch on bare ground and lay your new concrete consisting of what ever texture and colour you desire and finish as above.

[4] If you want to save a few baht, you can lay a new basic concrete floor and then add the skim coat as in #2 and finish as above.

This is a great way to customise your own floors and have something exactly as you want, not just what is available commercially.

PS..This is not limited to just floors...I did some beautiful benchtops, vanities, table tops also using the same methods.

The finished product needs to be sealed tho' as concrete is very porous and will stain easily if left unsealed.

One is a commercial sealer containing chemicals that are given off during the sealing process..not my choice at all.

The other is by using natural beeswax as has been used since Adam was a boy ..;..

Both do the job and as i said earlier it was my personal choice not to use man made chemicals because of the unpleasant smells and used beeswax method instead.

Hope this helps as you can get a great look, nothing too commercial looking as is often seen in some homes....

Thats helpful, thanks. I saw some youtube videos and it looks like there's polishers with a vacuum attachment, to minimize dust during the grinding process. Ever see any available in Chiang Mai? I'd like to get the work done, but we're living in the space and need to control dust as much as possible.

the floors on 2 of 3

Thats helpful, thanks. I saw some youtube videos and it looks like there's polishers with a vacuum attachment, to minimize dust during the grinding process. Ever see any available in Chiang Mai? I'd like to get the work done, but we're living in the space and need to control dust as much as possible.

I haven't looked Chiang Mai, but any i've seen use water both to keep the dust down and as part of the grinding process,,keeps the diamond grinding discs cool and clean i believe..bit like sanding a car with wet sandpaper.

Should be available here [Google is your friend] ..In Phuket they are commonly used in shopping centres and condos where they use a skim coat with many colours [looks a bit like marble] usually with a brass beading inlaid to create designs..these always used the water polishers.

I have three stories of polished concrete floors. Came out pretty good with a clear coat final process. I want one more wax coat which I will apply. I thought rim pond had a selection they don't

Any ideas

Yes.

Edited by onthedarkside
link removed

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how common asbestos-cement usage is in CM?

Related: Myths and Facts about Asbestos-Cement

I've noticed how brittle some cement roads and kerbs seem around here, and how they tend to break up in rather sharp irregular edges. My theory is that any asbestos content in Thai cement is there to make up for the lack of normal strength or quality.

My concrete finish company recommended a small specialty shop on neimenheiman they had 12 gallon jugs with different labels of wax and they all created a different finish. I bought the yellow one. Fabulous finish. My housekeeper applies it every other day.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app