Traffic lights coming to Dolphin Roundabout

Rimmer

Traffic lights coming to Dolphin Roundabout

n8red-2.jpg
PATTAYA:--With congestion and accidents proving that courtesy and yielding hasn’t worked, Pattaya’s Dolphin Roundabout will soon get traffic lights to try and bring order to the chaotic North Pattaya circle.

The Pattaya City Council Nov. 21 approved the study, design and installation of signals at the roundabout as the final phase of a larger plan to improve North Pattaya traffic.

Roundabouts, by design, inherently should be able to control traffic flow without the needs of lights. But the system depends on drivers’ willingness to yield to others and respect traffic laws. That clearly hasn’t worked in Pattaya.
- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/traffic-lights-coming-to-dolphin-roundabout-32708#sthash.mEv28uXC.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2013-12-06 footer_n.gif

Ok I will be the first to say it.....

Another set of lights for the "selfish idiots" to jump

How long before someone loses their life here

The only real deterrent to these people is "strong policing".....and confiscating and "crushing" their vehicles when they offend....

But of course that is too sensible for here (sadly)

Edited by DD13
  • Like 2

Well that will really gum up the works there and there will be massive traffic backups as a result. This is one of the most busy intersections in town and the traffic circle has always worked pretty well...even the semi-circle they have had the past 6 mos or so. Whenever lights are installed at busy intersections in Thailand it only makes traffic and even safety worse...the most recent example being the lights at e SSCC and Nongprue Road intersection. There was never much wait or backup there, with people mostly respecting the rules of first come first go and the rule of size but the moment they installed the lights, long backups and waits are the norm. The same happened a couple years ago at NPW and the railroad crossing road when they installed lights...kilometer long backups were the result. Once eh put them on permanent flashing mode, traffic back to normal.

Sure, there are accidents and one or two deaths a year at the Dolphin Circle but considering the traffic volume, mix of type of vehicles,from motos to tour buses to cement trucks, and the driving habits of the locals and tourists on holiday it's to be expected.

• Like 1

Yep, traffic lights will definitely work at that intersection. Traffic will back up all the way to Pattaya Klang on 2nd Road, and that's before the BIB at the corner decides he can do a better job and start playing with the sequence.

I guarantee that Beach Road will not have a single car on it, whole 2nd Road and Naklua will be gridlocked.

Why do the BIB continually try to manipulate traffic with adhoc barriers, closing off U-Turns and the like. They defeat the purpose of smooth traffic flow in most cases.

• Like 1

Ok I will be the first to say it.....

Another set of lights for the "selfish idiots" to jump

How long before someone loses their life here

The only real deterrent to these people is "strong policing".....and confiscating and "crushing" their vehicles when they offend....

But of course that is too sensible for here (sadly)

Unfortunately I agree with you.

Ever since they put the concrete ( ? ) barriers up forcing those coming from naklua road to take a very short detour on to Pattaya nua before heading back to the roundabout, there`s been many who simply go round the roundabout the wrong way.

I don`t/won`t ride a bike out here but every time I come back from central Pattaya on the back of my GF`s bike, there`ll be Thais speeding the wrong way through the roundabout.

2 minutes of their life too important to show consideration and safety for other road users.

They`ll just jump the lights when/if they are installed.

A roundabout should be the best solution here.

However after more than 20 years of dealing with roundabouts, it is universally accepted that they have proved way too challenging for the vast majority of Thais. The Thais have had their chance and blown it. They simply cannot 'do roundabouts'. Perhaps it is genetic. I don't know. But they can't.

So, the City Hall / Police decision to instal traffic lights is what we are left with and that was their only effective option.

• Like 1

I recall there have been traffic light installed there about 10 years ago.

I assume they weren't removed because of their efficiency.

Dont think there was ever traffic lights there, certainly not since 1996 anyway.

I recall there have been traffic light installed there about 10 years ago.

I assume they weren't removed because of their efficiency.

Dont think there was ever traffic lights there, certainly not since 1996 anyway.

They placed traffic lights there when they made the north bound part of second road one way.

It took only a few months before they were removed, because the result was disastrous, and that is what we gonna see again soon.

They have recently built a new roundabout not far from Laem Chabang Industrial Estate.

The textbook manner of using roundabouts has been eschewed by the locals. The de facto simplified method of turning right is now not to go three-quarters of the way around the roundabout but to go one-quarter of the way around the roundabout against the flow of traffic and thus save time and petrol and maybe get passed a couple of cars who actually follow the rules. I kid you not but few of you will be surprised any way.

The only reason there is traffic chaos there is because they haven't got a clue how to properly use a roundabout

For the last 6 months it has not been a roundabout. As mentioned, it forces those of us coming from Naklua to go east on Pattaya Nua to make a U-turn. This is not the safe way to do it. I guess for this to be successful, the entire roundabout must now be removed completely?

Roundabouts primarily are effective in areas used just by cars, not with cement trucks, busses, and yes, far too many baht busses. There are too many drivers here that use the intersection 30 times a day, and think they have it all figured out.

(Edit for spelling.)

Edited by stoli

They have recently built a new roundabout not far from Laem Chabang Industrial Estate.

The textbook manner of using roundabouts has been eschewed by the locals. The de facto simplified method of turning right is now not to go three-quarters of the way around the roundabout but to go one-quarter of the way around the roundabout against the flow of traffic and thus save time and petrol and maybe get passed a couple of cars who actually follow the rules. I kid you not but few of you will be surprised any way.

No I am not surprised...

Nor am I surprised that "Rules of the Road" are not being enforced.

This will be a disaster!!! As already mentioned, Thai's don't understand/can't understand traffic lights. The sam applies exactly to roundabouts (whether they are completely round or not)!!!!!

As already mentioned too, deaths already occur at this location, my prediction is, that they're frequency will double!!

The BiB too will have a field day, playing with a new gizmo, and picking up extra pocket money from anyone (especially foreign) involved in an accident, as well as having a few more seconds to pull people over!!!!!

City Hall (and the rest of the place) is a complete joke, the crap that has come out of there in the last decade is unbelievable, and also getting worse by the day as everyone in there tries to justify their positions!!!!!!

On a side note, has anyone heard the outcome of the ferry disaster investigation????? After all, City Hall sent their finest to sort it out!

Round-a-bouts and Thais do not work.

Same same with elevators. The Thais want on before the passengers disembark.

I think they both work pretty well...even in Thailand! I've been through that roundabout, when it was a roundabout, maybe 1000 times without incident and as to the number of times using an elevator in Thailand without being trampled, I couldn't even hazard a guess.

• Like 1

I guarantee that Beach Road will not have a single car on it, whole 2nd Road and Naklua will be gridlocked.

When are you losing your nuts over your last guarantee? You've been awfully quiet about that. Seems you have some unfinished business to complete before issuing new guarantees?

I'll bet both my nuts that the buildings will still be standing in 7 years, never mind 7 days.

Having a traffic light is a good idea, all considered. Glad they're considering it and hope they try it.

There'll be a backup at peak hours, but there's a backup now anyway. Traffic has vastly increased on Naklua Rd and also on Pattaya Nua esp on weekends. You can't deal with modern-day Pattaya traffic jams, you don't belong here.

It's become too dangerous to have a circle, or a short detour and U-turn as at present. Saw a set of chalk marks there just yesterday, one of countless over the years. What a mess.

It's just the usual troll hot air to suggest lights are useless in Pattaya because some Thais jump lights. The majority don't, usually, and comparatively few accidents result from the practice.

Edited by JSixpack

Round-a-bouts and Thais do not work.

Same same with elevators. The Thais want on before the passengers disembark.

I think they both work pretty well...even in Thailand! I've been through that roundabout, when it was a roundabout, maybe 1000 times without incident and as to the number of times using an elevator in Thailand without being trampled, I couldn't even hazard a guess.

You would think once would be enough, couldn't you get off it.cheesy.gif