Thai Tourism Ministry adjusts down the expected tourist arrivals due to political confrontations

webfact

Tourism Ministry adjusts down the expected tourist arrivals due to political confrontations

BANGKOK, 7 December 2013 (NNT) - Political conflicts that have been going on in Thailand has taken its toll on the country's tourism sector, according to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

Somsak Phurisisak, the Minister of Tourism and Sports has announced the latest adjustment to the expected number of tourists visiting Thailand in 2013 of 26.5 million to 26 million after the number of foreign tourists arriving at Don Muaeng and Suvarnabhumi airports during 1-2 December has dropped to 45,420 per day, compared to an average of 47,000 from December last year.

If the conflict continues, it will definitely affect local operators in the next year. Yuthachai Suntornratanavej, the president of Inbound Tourism Association said since the start of anti government rallies, the number of tourists has plunged by 30 per cent from December 2012. If the rallies last longer than next week, the number will decline by as many as 40 per cent.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-07 footer_n.gif

Donuang is only one of the possible arrival points. Start adding in other airpots and border crossings and you could find the numbers far greater.

Once again you're seeing politicians manipulate the poorer masses as a means of hobbling the middle classes and small business, which will only make things worse for the poor, while allowing the rich to seize more assets.

Welcome to Amusing Thailand

• Like 2

Donuang is only one of the possible arrival points. Start adding in other airpots and border crossings and you could find the numbers far greater.

Once again you're seeing politicians manipulate the poorer masses as a means of hobbling the middle classes and small business, which will only make things worse for the poor, while allowing the rich to seize more assets.

I'm trying to work out what exactly this statement has to do with Tourist numbers?

• Like 2

I believe TAT has a lucky dip bag. every week a rep of theirs dips his hand in and pulls out ready a prepared message. Oh here is this weeks BS message to cover up our figures. ( " it's a laugh all our people and foreigners believe what we say")

• Like 1

since im not a part of the poor masses.....lol, i never really paid much attn to their plight. but this is happening in usa too, seems the OFFICIALS like the masses to remain poor!

I'm trying to work out what exactly this statement has to do with Tourist numbers?

reading between the lines a very looooooose connection

Don't worry....shortly after the current protests end the tourism folks will say that tourism quickly snapped back and Thailand will see another record tourism year. The tourism propaganda department already has that press release prepared...but they are still deciding whether to wait a whole week after the protests end or just release the following day. You can not hold back, stand in the way of Thailand tourism numbers--so don't even try!

I live in Phuket and have been traveling for the last week in tourists areas. It is unusually slow everywhere I go. Good for me.

All information from TAT is useless. There is a long history of inflated figures and misinformation.

I am in Phnom Penh, Cambodia right now and what i notice is that everyone is much more friendlier here and everything incl. food, wines and beers are much much cheaper than in LOS. Maybe thais are not happy anymore with all those tourists and farangs around.

• Like 1

They're "adjusting down." Too bad Thai property owners aren't smart enough to negotiate rental prices in tough times. It is always amazing how they stand firm at inflated price/value and would rather have a vacant property during high season than compromise price. Fear of losing face to fellow country club golfers I suppose.

• Like 1

actually the bars do seem a bit slow, esp since it being high season! Never seen Baccara gentlemens club with so many empty seats at 9pm. And that happened twice this week.

Excellent. Do please keep us all posted on the availability of seating in all of the capital's go-go bars - perhaps the most reliable indicator of tourist arrivals.

tourist arrivals at 45,420/day vs 47,000/day last year

according to my calculator that is a drop of 3.4%

Visa runs lost also due to farangs moving to better pastures, (or different) ones, Transit arrivals --more, cross border shopping less due to price increases, Thai airways bringing in less arrivals Ha Ha....TATs juggled stats.

They're "adjusting down." Too bad Thai property owners aren't smart enough to negotiate rental prices in tough times. It is always amazing how they stand firm at inflated price/value and would rather have a vacant property during high season than compromise price. Fear of losing face to fellow country club golfers I suppose.

Yeah have seen that too many times. Even sellers of homes we where gonna buy bith units of a twin house to renovate and have as a rental property...both units have been for sale for a long time 3 and 4 years and every 6 months both sellers adjust the price up rather than down neither of the seller have had a potential buyer in over two years. I gave them both an offer 6 months ago and again 2 weeks ago...now finally one agreed then i told him convince the other owner and we can close the deal the other owner said no eventhough he is short on funds must be trying to save face for his friends. ..but im sure his friends havent seen the current condition of the property...at least for me i would loose face for that but people work differently i guess

• Like 1

Take away the number who are arriving from domestic points on their way to domestic points and the number of visa seeking renewing crossings and your figures would go way down.

• Like 1

I live in Phuket and have been traveling for the last week in tourists areas. It is unusually slow everywhere I go. Good for me.

All information from TAT is useless. There is a long history of inflated figures and misinformation.

I am there this week also. Seems just like low season to me. Even the airport had a manageable number of people when we arrived. Traffic still seems bad to me though. Especially at Chalong.

And for the record, the taxi touts are still at the airport. And when I parked my car in a designated parking spot in Kata, a POLICEMAN told me to move it because the spot was reserved for taxis. So reassuring to see that in a fast changing world, some things just don't.

• Like 1

These are hardly any shocking statistics, we are talking about a drop of less than 5%. something must have gone wrong with the number crunching once again. In order to lose half a million tourists the numbers must be dropping with a third.

Even in that short press release there are clearly conflicting figures. Airport arrivals have dropped from 45,000 to 47,000. But tourists are down 30% from December last year. TAT should concern themselves with the latter rather than the former, since that would include domestic and non touristic traveller. But the figures for airport arrivals look better, so TAT focus on them.