Phuket: Pickup truck driver kills 18 year old boy, flees the scene

webfact

Pickup truck driver kills 18 year old boy, flees the scene
Eakkapop Thongtub

1386389468_1.jpg
The mangled Yamaha and the pickup truck.

PHUKET: -- An 18-year-old motorcyclist was knocked from his bike and later died after hitting a pickup truck that had apparently made a sudden U-Turn in front of Cherng Talay Wittayakom School last night at 10pm.

The police, along with Kusoldharm Foundation rescue volunteers, arrived at the scene shortly after 10pm and discovered a purple Yamaha Mio motorbike stuck to the pickup.

The deceased was identified as Wasin Yotharak.

Upon questioning the locals, police heard that the driver of the pickup truck had made a sudden U-Turn in front of Mr Wasin who was travelling at high speed.

A search is now underway for the driver who fled the scene.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/pickup-truck-driver-kills-18-year-old-boy-flees-the-scene-43278.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-07

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the driver is totally stupid , the car is still there and I dont think it will take long time for the police to find the owner of the truck .... hard to face responsibilities , specially when you just murdered a young boy who had all his life in front of him ... sad ...

I think the driver is totally stupid , the car is still there and I dont think it will take long time for the police to find the owner of the truck .... hard to face responsibilities , specially when you just murdered a young boy who had all his life in front of him ... sad ...

The driver made a bad move and deserves blame but the kid also made a stupid move, "traveling at a high rate of speed" apparently too fast to evade a potential problem. That's why they call it defensive driving. Sad story.

• Like 1

Probably because the driver was drunk and the norm now is to run off until the next day or so until all alcohol gone, saying that disgusting behavior full stop to run off and not help some1 who is dieing because of you..

RIP

• Like 1

The traffic is more and more out of control. Yesterday I was riding on Thepsarati road and had close call twice.

I don't really enjoy to ride to the Phuket town or southern part of Phuket simply due the traffic. There are many selfish people speeding on the roads.

All this running away can be stopped if you simply claim that leaving the scene of the chrime to go anywhere other than hospital is an automatic murder charge.

Yes, that would do the trick, the only problem is that the driver would have to be interviewed in the hospital after he has received a beating from the mob (if he still can be interviewed that is).

@ andreandre

"i think we all understand it." - many don't, particularly the tourists, so they have to be informed.

"you really believe they would have been using public transport even if it were available" - yes. Locals, tourists and expats use the baht bus system in Pattaya. Why would Phuket be any different? You have been to Pattaya and seen it for yourself. haven't you?

How many lives would a similar system here save?

@ andreandre

"i think we all understand it." - many don't, particularly the tourists, so they have to be informed.

"you really believe they would have been using public transport even if it were available" - yes. Locals, tourists and expats use the baht bus system in Pattaya. Why would Phuket be any different? You have been to Pattaya and seen it for yourself. haven't you?

How many lives would a similar system here save?

You really are way off this topic NKM. What has this accident got to do with tourists or folks who want to use public transport ? I suspect you are just trying to bait andre.

• Like 2

What might help save lives is the police actually doing their job & pulling dangerous drivers off the road although to be honest I am unsure if there is even a law on dangerous driving which we all see on a daily basis.

Edited by LivinginKata
quote removed
  • Like 2

All this running away can be stopped if you simply claim that leaving the scene of the chrime to go anywhere other than hospital is an automatic murder charge.

It could never be construed as murder, but as I've commented before on these incidents, leaving the scene of an accident should automatically turn the accident into a criminal offence with an appropriate severe penalty.

• Like 1

It could never be construed as murder, but as I've commented before on these incidents, leaving the scene of an accident should automatically turn the accident into a criminal offence with an appropriate severe penalty.

Basically yes and in western countries definately agree but refer to chaingmai's post and this is the reality,sadly.

If you dont run, you are going to end up dead.

Run, from the scene but go direct to police ASAP..all is good IMO.

• Like 1

Probably because the driver was drunk and the norm now is to run off until the next day or so until all alcohol gone, saying that disgusting behavior full stop to run off and not help some1 who is dieing because of you..

RIP

The norm now? It has always been so. Because, as other posters have said, sticking around will most likely lead to a beating - often from people who are uninvolved but see it as a golden opportunity.

Edited by Globeman
  • Like 1

It wasn't "murder".

true there was most likely no intent, but he did slaughter someone.

This is not murder - it was an accident. If you read my post above, you might get enlightened and realize that the boy most likely carried his fair share of guilt himself.

"Who had his whole life in front of him"... well, let me say this - I know the characters of those "Wai Loon" pimp racers pretty well. Most of them are jobless Yah Baa-addicted fulltime losers who can't achieve anything, except getting themselves and others in trouble and getting 12 to 15 year old girls pregnant to eventually leave them and the babies behind while moving to another "Changwat" to do exactly the same thing there. Don't get me started on teenage Thai boys who "have their whole life in front of them". Honestly, the world would be a better place with some of them not being born.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 2

something completely wrong whit the story.

The pick-up makes a u turn .When he comes on the other side

the motorcycle can crash on the "left" side of this pick-up .

But he smashed on the "right" side ? (foto)

So maybe the motorcycle wanted to overtake the Pick-up (on the fast lane ! a Mio? look at the foto.)

The motorcycle driver did not see the car breaking to be able to do a u-turn? (regardless the blinkers were used or not)

The motorcycle driver ,probl did see the intension of the car ,but believed that his "tattoo" and high tuned Mio would

protect him?

The pick-up driver just saw 1 white light (if the Mio's light was burning?)amids 100 other white lights in his rear-mirror.

He did nothing wrong,or how do you suggest to make a u turn?

The speeding (prepped-up)motorcycle was on the wrong lane ,too fast to adapt to traffic,he will not endanger innocent

people anymore.

something completely wrong whit the story.

The pick-up makes a u turn .When he comes on the other side

the motorcycle can crash on the "left" side of this pick-up .

But he smashed on the "right" side ? (foto)

So maybe the motorcycle wanted to overtake the Pick-up (on the fast lane ! a Mio? look at the foto.)

The motorcycle driver did not see the car breaking to be able to do a u-turn? (regardless the blinkers were used or not)

The motorcycle driver ,probl did see the intension of the car ,but believed that his "tattoo" and high tuned Mio would

protect him?

The pick-up driver just saw 1 white light (if the Mio's light was burning?)amids 100 other white lights in his rear-mirror.

He did nothing wrong,or how do you suggest to make a u turn?

The speeding (prepped-up)motorcycle was on the wrong lane ,too fast to adapt to traffic,he will not endanger innocent

people anymore.

Even though I have announced my deepest discontent regarding Pimp Bike Wai Loons, I see that you might have overlooked something here. The car is standing on a white solid line. This is no good news for the pickup driver since he is not supposed to cross it. However, I am pretty sure the bike did have no lights (pickup driver dod not even see him coming) and that the biker was speeding at least at 100 to 120 km/h. So the 18 year old man (is one still a "boy" with 18? means that we did send boys to Nam...) tried to swerve around the car, crossing into the opposite lane, but did not make it. In addition, I have my doubts that the U-turn was so very "sudden". As far as I see it, the biker, overestimated his ability to master this situation, feeling "cool and invincible", believing that he easily could pass the car before it finishes the turn... emphasis on "believing"...

Edited by catweazle

How can you say the boy was murdered? A similar case to the boy killed a few days ago while turning right in front of a bus. This time it was the car turning right and the motorcycle going too fast maybe. Almost an everyday occurrence.

Isn't one of " the road rules " here in Thailand that it is prohibited from doing a u turn in the front of a school, police station and hospital ? I seem to remember getting that wrong when I got my bike and car licence .

In answer to your question, a survey of 500 law enforcement agents produced the answer, "possibly" and in the case where the offense involved a farang and the officer was feeling so inclined, "definitely".