I have just witnessed two occurrences of double pricing policy - Do Thai's know that this hurts?

spambot

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know what it is but i never ever get charged more ,maybe its because i look as if i am a local living here in Pattaya ,at entertainment venues just show my driving licence and get Thai price ,only once been charged farang price and that was on the yellow sumbmarine ,but as it was our sons birthday treat could hardly walk away.

is it because you look like a tourist op?

Yup you are probably right - I knew I should have hidden my maps, stopped taking pics of the food I was eating and stopped asking every tuc tuc driver how much it costs to go to Central world.

Pattaya I feel, (but I do not really know for sure) works in a non dual pricing only if you do know the systems and how they should operate. I remember the first time I went to Pattaya and I got out the songthaew and asked how much - He said 20Baht (because I asked - He knew I didn't know and he then knew that there was an opportunity for gain) - Yep its only 10 Baht (Beach rd) and then also 6 weeks ago I took the songthaew from bus station to walking street - Everyone got off and I was the last - Chinese girl was charged 30 Baht and the same for two English guys - I refused to pay the inflated price. We only got back to the correct price when I pointed to the local bobby across the road indicating we ask him what the fixed price was.

But obviously when you know your way around then you don't walk into these tourist traps since you know they are there i.e now when I now get to the bus station in Pattaya I walk over the road and pay my10 Baht to a passing songthaew without the waiting and herding that goes on at the bus terminal for tourists.

Didn't the fruit cart have some sort of pricing cards displayed?

Knowing how to read Thai numbers is a huge advantage for us all. I would recommend it. When I mention the prices, they all freak out and do not argue with me.thumbsup.gif

Actually that makes good sense and worth learning these for sure - Good input!

I am assuming that you are not saying that there is a different system of numbers and you are just referring to the written word, used to spell the number in Thai?

For example: Nine = เก้า

Knowing how to read Thai numbers is a huge advantage for us all. I would recommend it. When I mention the prices, they all freak out and do not argue with me.thumbsup.gif

I am assuming that you are not saying that there is a different system of numbers and you are just referring to the written word, used to spell the number in Thai?

Google Thai numerals.

• Like 1

Google Thai numerals.

Great info - Thanks

"But I do not see any embarrassment in Thai culture when this happens - Why NOT?"

because they don`t give a shit! coffee1.gif

my advice: learn the numbers from one to 100 in thai (or even to 1000), it´s not that difficult.

and learn the thai words for "i know", i think it goes like "pom ru", a very useful phrase.

don´t ask for prices, tell them the fair price in thai and add "pom ru" at the end. and don´t smile much while doing this.

works fine for me.

Agree. There's only ten freakin numbers. Is it really that difficult for some people?

Agree. There's only ten freakin numbers. Is it really that difficult for some people?

It is Thai Visa remember.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Plain and simple, I do not believe your stories, especially the part where she said in clear English "surely you know that it is common policy with all things in Thailand, to charge the Falang more".

Why have I not run into this common practice of double pricing in my 13 years in Thailand with the exception of the Chiang Mai Zoo about 10 years ago, which I refused to pay and our group went on to see the hot springs.instead. If I would have run into the situation you described, I would look for another hotel and I would not have brought the fruit, if in fact you paid, it was by your choice.

Cheers

It's more widespread than you may have seen... Infact I can assure you I have even seen it in English print newspapers like the Bangkok P and others. Large advertisements

for weekend breaks/ hotel packages with a price for Thai only... There is dual pricing in Thailand for many things. I don't agree with it, but if I want to go somewhere, do something and the price is more for me than a Thai then I pay the price I have to...

If I'm with the Thai Gf I just let her do the transactions after discussing with her what the price actually is..

Like others on TV have said before on here, would you tell your kids your taking them to the zoo for a day out and when you got there found out that the price was more for farang than Thai so refuse to pay extra and not go in the zoo and spoil the kids day out....

There may have beens no hot springs to go to as an alternative...

By the way it's not just Thailand that has dual pricing, countries all over the world have it in one way or another for residents of the country...

• Like 1

I can see why people are annoyed by it but on the other hand, isn't it a bit like pricing for different markets according to what they will bear. .? EG, Apple products in Australia are significantly higher than in North America (prompting some questioning from authorities). The market will bear those higher costs, so few complain. Similarly Starbucks in China charges much more than in India ( not reflecting cost but positioning).

I have not yet been to Ocean World because the double price thing annoys me, but then again I want to see those fish and don't care about the money.

Bananas a bit different

My observation on this topic would be:

Double or over pricing predominately occurs in Tourist locations (always) or major cities where Foreigners have settled/visit (occasionally).

Yes I know "its the principle" of the thing that gets us. But we are working to a different set of principles aren't we.

Don't forget Indian, other Asian, Chinese, Eastern European visitors get the same treatment of over pricing in these same tourist areas. They don't complain about this when they visit Thailand as they do the same in their home countries to visitors. They however come prepared to haggle or walk away.

So my advise is, we Foreigners need to stop getting bent out of shape about this subject and make the effort get smarter. Blend in if we want a chance at being treated fairly.

Two ways to reduce or even illuminate the over pricing issue are (from my experience):

1. Use your Thai Drivers License more, Often (not always) if produced it will nullify the demand of 'Farang Tax'. Especially at tourist attraction frequented mainly by Thais.

2. Try to learn a little Thai, But always smile and don't be condescending or confrontational. Even Thais when they negotiate prices adopt a humble stance...If you wanna be treated like a local, blend in.

Sorry to say that in Hardcore Tourist only locations its unlikely you will get far with the above suggestions. However, if you are with your Thai partner and kids you stand a chance, Eg. the charge made for Foreigner entering Koh Samet could be lifted if you produce a Thai License and say something like "Phom Phen Khun Thai, Krap Phom" (with a big smile) and further supported by your partner in a jovial manner.

Sorry to say, but Thai (traders) in Hardcore Tourist spots are a different breed. There your choices are simple, pay the going rate knowing the outcome, or shop elsewhere.

• Like 1

Honestly, most people I come across are honest and I make a point to be honest with them. However, you always have to be looking when dealing with people you don't know. My favorite (happened in Thai language):

Me: How much are the watermelons?

Vendor: It's called Daeng Mo

Me: Yeah, I know...how much is this one?

Vendor: It's called daeng mo

Me: I know the word, but how much is it?

....confused look, gears churning, just as they had been the whole time....he was trying to size me up as he was talking to me. I just told him "fine....other people sell watermelons as well" and walked away.

Always be ready to walk away, don't give them time to think, and be polite. I walked down the way for about 30 seconds and someone had watermelons of the same size with marked prices. PURCHASE. I see the guy all the time at the market and he knows that I am the "one that got away" as he sells a variety of products and I will not buy a single one of them.

This happens to me all the time. I ask: thao rai krab? annee sappalot......chai krabhom, thao rai krab? annee sappalot wan.... then i know i 'm being fooled and leave the place. I don't understand that trick of them, why they don't want to tell the price when i ask them?

It is the same when i buy plants, they won't tell the price but instead tell me what plant it is, from now on i walk away after asking it 1 time only. They are lucky anyway when i ask for the price because my rule is never ask the price, let them make a pricetag.

I noticed they do that especially for more expensive items in their shop. Fruitshops always forget to pricetag the Namdocmai mango's. The fishstand always forgets to price the big seafish (most expensive item in the shop). That fish they sell with the guts and all, so if you buy 1 kg of grouper you get the guts with it. If you order fillet then they weigh 1 kg and then make a fillet out of it but you still paid for the guts as well. I m so tired of that so i only buy in Foodland if i am near them.

But even there they cheat, i bought many kg of meat there including a kg of chicken-thighs. It was in promotion for something like 90 baht. When i paid at the cashier i saw 135 baht on the screen, so i examined the bag and it was 1 kg. I walked back to the butcher and showed him the pricetag, he asked 135 while it should be 90. I ordered him to make a new pricetag which he did. Still 135 baht. I gave him the chicken back and told him i don't want any chicken, mai au kai krab (and don't cheat me in english). Then he came with me to the cashier and told her to get it off my bill. What a hassle but next time he won't cheat me again or i go to the manager as well.

Anyway don't let them cheat you! You have to check the Thai all the time. Also there are good Thai, i remember one day i had to pay 100 on the market and accidently i gave 1000 and walked away. The lady called me back and gave me the 900 change.

Also when you hire company's to do services to your house or car, ALWAYS check them. I can write 10 pages here how they cheated me all the time but they also do that to my Thai neighbours. They have no idea what quality is and if they damage something in your house then you pay for it. They have never heard of an insurance for that.

Ok enough Thai bashing for today.

Well, I don't think that is Thai bashing. A lot of people are very honest and, like you said....some people will run after you to give you back the correct change when you have made a mistake. We just don't write much about them because they don't irritate us. That is just another side of the coin--I would rather give my money to the honest Thai people making a living by working hard than to crooks who try to sneak in the extra few baht here and there. So, it isn't all bad, but better to put money in the hands of those who are honest, good people. I would say the same about myself looking in, which is why I always return money given to me by mistake (and it has happened a lot--like paying with a 500 and getting change back from 1000! I pointed out the mistake to the guy and he was very grateful and would never treat me poorly as he knows I have the same consideration for him).

Edited by dao16
  • Like 1

Double or over pricing predominately occurs in Tourist locations (always) or major cities where Foreigners have settled/visit (occasionally).
Yes I know "its the principle" of the thing that gets us. But we are working to a different set of principles aren't we.
Don't forget Indian, other Asian, Chinese, Eastern European visitors get the same treatment of over pricing in these same tourist areas. They don't complain about this when they visit Thailand as they do the same in their home countries to visitors. They however come prepared to haggle or walk away.
So my advise is, we Foreigners need to stop getting bent out of shape about this subject and make the effort get smarter. Blend in if we want a chance at being treated fairly.
Two ways to reduce or even illuminate the over pricing issue are (from my experience):
1. Use your Thai Drivers License more, Often (not always) if produced it will nullify the demand of 'Farang Tax'. Especially at tourist attraction frequented mainly by Thais.
2. Try to learn a little Thai, But always smile and don't be condescending or confrontational. Even Thais when they negotiate prices adopt a humble stance...If you wanna be treated like a local, blend in.
Sorry to say that in Hardcore Tourist only locations its unlikely you will get far with the above suggestions. However, if you are with your Thai partner and kids you stand a chance, Eg. the charge made for Foreigner entering Koh Samet could be lifted if you produce a Thai License and say something like "Phom Phen Khun Thai, Krap Phom" (with a big smile) and further supported by your partner in a jovial manner.
Sorry to say, but Thai (traders) in Hardcore Tourist spots are a different breed. There your choices are simple, pay the going rate knowing the outcome, or shop elsewhere.

I went to koh samet in a big group of Thai only. We ordered the boat to bring us straight to our resort. Then i didn't have to pay the 200 baht for the national park (which samet is) because we had never been in that harbour where they charge admission fee's..

Also at a waterfall one day, i was in a car full of Thai and had to pay extra. We decided to skip the waterfall so they missed 5 guests. Since then i don't want to go to any big attraction no more and my thai friends understand it so we go elsewhere.

I don't care for the amount of money but the whole idea of being cheated ruins my whole day. I have been all over asia and they do it in all country's.

This week i arrived on changi airport in singapore, went to the money changer (bank) and looked at the rate for euro. 1.685 was the buying price. I gave 100 euro and got 167 singapore$. I asked him why i didn't get the price which was on the computerscreen and the guy almost choked in his noodles that he was eating. He stumbled something in his local language, called the collegues and then 2 of them were in stress. In the meantime another farang changed 50 euro so i told him he didn't get the price on the screen and that they could not explain me why that was. Then i had to wait and the guy changed the price on the screen into 167 for buying price.

The moneychanger next to him also had 1.685 on his screen so i should have went there but i thought: let it be and said: Welcome to Singapore and walked off.

But for Singapore i would not expect this cheating on the airport....

I went to koh samet in a big group of Thai only. We ordered the boat to bring us straight to our resort. Then i didn't have to pay the 200 baht for the national park (which samet is) because we had never been in that harbour where they charge admission fee's..

Also at a waterfall one day, i was in a car full of Thai and had to pay extra. We decided to skip the waterfall so they missed 5 guests. Since then i don't want to go to any big attraction no more and my thai friends understand it so we go elsewhere.

I don't care for the amount of money but the whole idea of being cheated ruins my whole day. I have been all over asia and they do it in all country's.

This week i arrived on changi airport in singapore, went to the money changer (bank) and looked at the rate for euro. 1.685 was the buying price. I gave 100 euro and got 167 singapore$. I asked him why i didn't get the price which was on the computerscreen and the guy almost choked in his noodles that he was eating. He stumbled something in his local language, called the collegues and then 2 of them were in stress. In the meantime another farang changed 50 euro so i told him he didn't get the price on the screen and that they could not explain me why that was. Then i had to wait and the guy changed the price on the screen into 167 for buying price.

The moneychanger next to him also had 1.685 on his screen so i should have went there but i thought: let it be and said: Welcome to Singapore and walked off.

You don't care much for money, yet you cheated the National Park out of the entrance fee you should have paid, and so it seems from your post your Thai freinds never paid as well....

You don't like being cheated but it seems okay for you and your Thai freinds to cheat.... Classico..facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Oh and before you try and say that if you take the speed boat to Samed you don't have to pay the national park entrance fee, think again, that's why the Navy sometimes patrol the beach watching for the cheats....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

@Dao16

Well i don't even tell it no more when they give me to much change back. I 'm so tired of the whole thing that they cannot count and there are always problems about the money.

Last week in Siam paragon i bought 5 kg of saucages (very nice ones by the way), they weigh them and then write the pricetag by hand. The customer can't see the scale because it is behind the counter on a table. So they can easy cheat you if they want. They also don't speak english at all there. I asked if i could see that digital scale and i really got 5 kg.

They wrote the price-tags by ballpoint but when i went to pay at the cashier she could not read the handwriting well. I had to pay 200 baht less then i should. I noticed it but kept my mouth because i'm tired of those mistakes all the time. This time it was in my favour for 200. I don't even feel bad anymore if i do things like that because i know how many times it was the other way around.

I m happy you guys on this forum also see how we get cheated. I know other forums where they thought i was paranoid. I 'm just a very bright mind and can calculate faster out of my head then a thai with 5 calculators. Also after being here for 10 years i think i know all the tricks how we get cheated. If i got cheated when my wife is with me then she hates it if i open my mouth about it. She feels like loosing face because she knows i should not worry about loosing a few euro but it is just the idea of being cheated that i cannot accept. The amount of money doesn't bother me, even for 2 baht i will open my mouth and tell them what the problem is. My wife always walks away in those cases but i don't care.

When i was in France with my wife she got cheated many times and i let it happen even when i saw it going on. When i helped her getting the money back she finally understood me and how false it is to cheat foreigners that way. But in France they also do it to me , that's fine though because i m prepared for that. I don't like the french anyway because of that.

Well I'm Thai farang, or farang Thai...and I often find later that I've paid 4x or whatever the price I shd have paid because I don't look like I apparently shd, and I speak Thai perfectly well so it 's just simply racist, not that people actually get that. Many places don't have prices posted and they charge based on their presumption of whether you're Thai or not.

Many countries have dual pricing, generally based on the assumption of whether you're a tax payer or not. If you don't pay tax, I don't see any grounds for complaint if you pay more than locals; if you do, I completely agree the price shd be the same.

• Like 2

You don't care much for money, yet you cheated the National Park out of the entrance fee you should have paid, and so it seems from your post your Thai freinds never paid as well....

You don't like being cheated but it seems okay for you and your Thai freinds to cheat.... Classico..facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Oh and before you try and say that if you take the speed boat to Samed you don't have to pay the national park entrance fee, think again, that's why the Navy sometimes patrol the beach watching for the cheats....thumbsup.gif

Well to tell you, i didn;t even know that there was an entrance fee at all for Samet. We were on a businesstrip with the company from my wife and didnt have to pay anything at all, the boss paid it....(actually a sponsor ,which was a subcontractor, that had to pay all or he would not be hired TIT) Later i heard from other farang that they had to pay 200 and i wondered why we didnt have to pay that. I didn't know that our boat took another route. happy now?

@Dao16

Well i don't even tell it no more when they give me to much change back. I 'm so tired of the whole thing that they cannot count and there are always problems about the money.

Last week in Siam paragon i bought 5 kg of saucages (very nice ones by the way), they weigh them and then write the pricetag by hand. The customer can't see the scale because it is behind the counter on a table. So they can easy cheat you if they want. They also don't speak english at all there. I asked if i could see that digital scale and i really got 5 kg.

They wrote the price-tags by ballpoint but when i went to pay at the cashier she could not read the handwriting well. I had to pay 200 baht less then i should. I noticed it but kept my mouth because i'm tired of those mistakes all the time. This time it was in my favour for 200. I don't even feel bad anymore if i do things like that because i know how many times it was the other way around.

I m happy you guys on this forum also see how we get cheated. I know other forums where they thought i was paranoid. I 'm just a very bright mind and can calculate faster out of my head then a thai with 5 calculators. Also after being here for 10 years i think i know all the tricks how we get cheated. If i got cheated when my wife is with me then she hates it if i open my mouth about it. She feels like loosing face because she knows i should not worry about loosing a few euro but it is just the idea of being cheated that i cannot accept. The amount of money doesn't bother me, even for 2 baht i will open my mouth and tell them what the problem is. My wife always walks away in those cases but i don't care.

When i was in France with my wife she got cheated many times and i let it happen even when i saw it going on. When i helped her getting the money back she finally understood me and how false it is to cheat foreigners that way. But in France they also do it to me , that's fine though because i m prepared for that. I don't like the french anyway because of that.

To be honest, I could imagine situations in which I would not say anything, but I deal mostly with locals that I care about and we all look out for each other (I don't believe some posters that they are all out to get you). You definitely have to watch your back, but I am used to that from being in many different countries. But the people who take care of me will be taken care of by me. And yes, down to the last baht I will argue my point or insist that they take my 1 baht. I want clear transactions or I stop going to places. I think once you cultivate some regular places, they will come to trust you and also look out for you. It is the ones you don't know that you have to be careful with (and keep an eye on the ones you know, to a certain extent to make sure you are both keeping up your part of the social agreement you have made).

Famous temple with tigers in Kanchanaburi... the last time I was there was told to pay much more than Thai price for entrance, and even worse told to come back after 13:00 to get in. Total non sense. Just drove away and will never go back again.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Plain and simple, I do not believe your stories, especially the part where she said in clear English "surely you know that it is common policy with all things in Thailand, to charge the Falang more".

Why have I not run into this common practice of double pricing in my 13 years in Thailand with the exception of the Chiang Mai Zoo about 10 years ago, which I refused to pay and our group went on to see the hot springs.instead. If I would have run into the situation you described, I would look for another hotel and I would not have brought the fruit, if in fact you paid, it was by your choice.

Cheers

You don't believe that someone working in the tourism industry can speak clear English? You are so confident about this that you would call someone a liar?

And, despite the dozens (maybe hundreds) of examples given by board members here, including your own example, you think that dual pricing is uncommon in Thailand.

Personally, I think there is some justification for dual pricing. National parks, palaces, etc. belong to the Thai people. Thais should be entitled to a lower entrance fee. And, there are good commercial reasons for hotels and tourist attractions to offer discounted prices to various groups (the largest group being Thais).

• Like 1

Well to tell you, i didn;t even know that there was an entrance fee at all for Samet. We were on a businesstrip with the company from my wife and didnt have to pay anything at all, the boss paid it....(actually a sponsor ,which was a subcontractor, that had to pay all or he would not be hired TIT) Later i heard from other farang that they had to pay 200 and i wondered why we didnt have to pay that. I didn't know that our boat took another route. happy now?

In your other post you said and your words the below....

"I went to koh samet in a big group of Thai only. We ordered the boat to bring us straight to our resort. Then i didn't have to pay the 200 baht for the national park (which samet is) because we had never been in that harbour where they charge admission fee's.."

And now you say you didnt know there was an admission fee, another classico from you, get that calculator brain of yours in gear mate, you must try harder if your gonna try and wriggle out of this one...

Even though you (alledgedly) found out later from other farang they had to pay 200 baht your post came across to me as you were happy that you had not paid the fee.... So IMO you cheated the National park....

Don't blame me for the way I have responded to your post, it was you who wrote it and I responded to what you initially wrote.....Happy now...?

By the way, it's not the fact that you cheated the National Park from the fee, it's the fact that you said the whole idea of being cheated ruins your whole day...Kinda double standards I guess...

Edited by MB1

I pay attention to what the locals are paying at the food carts and stuff near me and I found some were over charging me and some not.

Now I hand over the Thai price and just smile when I know they are over charging. So far no one has challenged me.

There's one stall I go to regularly and buy sweetcorn and sweet potato where the husband always tries to charge me more than the wife does. Every time she shouts at him when he does it and he changes the price down to what I assume is the normal price (the same price the wife charges).

I think though there's often local price, regular farang customer price, and tourist price so I'm probably still being over charged,

I pay attention to what the locals are paying at the food carts and stuff near me and I found some were over charging me and some not.

Now I hand over the Thai price and just smile when I know they are over charging. So far no one has challenged me.

There's one stall I go to regularly and buy sweetcorn and sweet potato where the husband always tries to charge me more than the wife does. Every time she shouts at him when he does it and he changes the price down to what I assume is the normal price (the same price the wife charges).

I think though there's often local price, regular farang customer price, and tourist price so I'm probably still being over charged,

Like I said earlier, it happens allover the world, I was in Portugal in August/ September for 3 weeks and used a bar regulary during the stay and got on quite well with the owner and his son, it didnt take me long to see a difference in prices charged to locals and tourists or people they didnt know. an example, a regular customer from the shop next door paid 50 cents for a small coffee, as did the staff from the spa over the road. The list price was 1 euro 20 cents

After 3 days of using the bar the price of my pint of superbock went down from 2 euro fifty cents to 1 euro 70 cents for the rest of my stay, I asked why and he said I give you happy house price now when ever you drink in bar as you a regular now,,,I was happy and so it seems he was..I was even happier when I was getting a double Jack Daniels and mixer for 2 euro 50 cents....I will definetly go back and use his bar when back in Portugal...

Edited by MB1