Seed compost in Bangkok?

Bmouthboyo

Hi guys,

I want to give my superbly chillis the best chance and can't find why where that sells proper seed compost. Does anyone know of somewhere in Bangkok that supplies this stuff?

All I can find is this generic stuff my local garden plant sellers stock :

_DSC3164_zps0c5b87f3.jpg

cheers

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Hi Bmouthboyo, that's all I have ever used in Thailand for seed raising. One hint, when using for seeds stick the required amount of compost in the microwave for a bit before sowing your chillis, it will sterilise the compost.

I just bought some vermicast, is that the same.? Would I use this alone or mix with the generic stuff I showed before.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, same thing. If it's good quality mix 1 part wormcast (vermicast) with 4 parts of the cheap compost.

If I can ask: how many kg is that bag, how much was it and where did you buy it? Through our website, which is given on my profile, we sell a 5kg bag of wormcast for 300 baht which we send by post to save you going out to find it - that 40 baht per kg plus 100 baht postage.

Hi Boyo, I've bought "proper" seed compost from an agri supply shop in Khon Kaen. It is imported stuff - from Europe, so it's not cheap but it is top quality. I think it was around 800 baht per big bag. I think mainly intended for professional growers sowing expensive hybrid flower seeds into plug trays; at least that's how I intend to use it. Each plug only uses a tiny bit of compost so the cost is spread over many seedlings making it worthwhile. I think your special chilli plants would appreciate the stuff!

I guess it must have come through BKK and so surely someone is selling it in BKK.

It is made by Klassmann http://www.klasmann-deilmann.com/en/klasmann_substrates/easy_growing/propagation/propagation.html

Note that there are many different versions for different crops/applications - you need to get the one that meets your particular needs.

I just found the following thread in this forum which refers to one of Klassmann's products and the name of a BKK supplier... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/218451-seeking-transplanting-advice/

Good luck with your chillies.

JB

I just bought some vermicast, is that the same.? Would I use this alone or mix with the generic stuff I showed before.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, same thing. If it's good quality mix 1 part wormcast (vermicast) with 4 parts of the cheap compost.

If I can ask: how many kg is that bag, how much was it and where did you buy it? Through our website, which is given on my profile, we sell a 5kg bag of wormcast for 300 baht which we send by post to save you going out to find it - that 40 baht per kg plus 100 baht postage.

Hi WormFarmer. I bought the vermicast from Tesco Lotus near Bangna. It is 1Kg and cost 129 baht so even with delivery your offer is great.

Hello All, this is Klasmann's LOS flyer I picked up at Hortasia 2013 in BKK.

VIP Intertrade Co. Ltd. is the Thai supplier, you can call them and ask who

sales their products in your area(of LOS), thats how I found my second

source in Muang Korat.

Their P/N 02 928 1299

Esteem is a Peat based substrate, you can do a google for their Thai www.

At one time it was sold through Chia Tai.

The Chia Tai store in China Town(BKK) has trays, seed and some supplies,

it's been about 5 years since I was there, NO ENGLISH at the store across

the street from their Head Office.

The second pic is Klassmann's and tub with coir and the white specks is

perlite, I threw it in as I only had a little and needed to get rid of the bag.

Klasmann's has a great www, tells all about their products.

rice555

post-37242-0-04412100-1386488273_thumb.p

post-37242-0-99929100-1386488561_thumb.j

post-37242-0-21082100-1386488595_thumb.j

Hello All, this is the best quality of coir I've bought in LOS for dirt garden work or

as a seed starter. Used straight or used in a mix, but for hydro growing it needs to

be treated/rinsed as Scoop1 talked about in on or the hydro threads.

Bmouthboyo you didn't say if you were going to grow OG or with chem fertilizer?

On the OG side, coir has NO additives, completely Origanic!! You can fertilize with

OG fert when the plant has it's second set of leaves, the seed has all the plant needs

up until that time, lot of commercial growers recommend a "sterilized" potting mix

for seed starting.

Coir and peat bassed starting substrates do not have the same problems as a soil

bassed mix.

If you looked at the Klasmann www or my last pic, you can see that most of their

starting mixes have a pre-charge with fertilizer. I'm still trying to get their Plug Mix

with .6 Kg/M3 and Base Substrate 414 with no fret added.(my choice)

On a side note, if you are just starting to grow, try a Bt.20 packet of Thai chilies

to get the hang of it, it $ave$ and frustration.

Happy Growing

rice555

post-37242-0-86412400-1386575027_thumb.j

post-37242-0-58296400-1386575056_thumb.j

The one on the pic is the worst one i ever bought. It is not compost but dead leaves and full of seeds that will sprout.

I buy at gardencentres or along kanchana=phisekroad around bang na. Loads of shops there who sell plants and everything else. 6-7 bags for 100 baht. If you need much then you can order it by truckload which should be much cheaper but i don't know where they order that.

The one on the pic is the worst one i ever bought. It is not compost but dead leaves and full of seeds that will sprout.

I buy at gardencentres or along kanchana=phisekroad around bang na. Loads of shops there who sell plants and everything else. 6-7 bags for 100 baht. If you need much then you can order it by truckload which should be much cheaper but i don't know where they order that.

Sorry I can't seem to find that road on google maps?

https://maps.google.nl/maps?safe=off&hl=nl&q=kanchanaphisek&ie=UTF-8&ei=x32qUvWMI-TRiAeq34Aw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

It is near Bang Bua Thong in BKK but i'm sure you can find good compost much closes to your home. Just find gardencentres or tree-shops near your place and drive around there and i assume you will see compost for sale there in bags.

Where kanchanaphisek meets Rattanathibet road there are loads of plant shops. They are along the road and in side-streets. When you drive over kanchanaphisek you will see them on both sides of the road for about a few miles long. There really are hundreds of them. they sell grafted tree's, soil, pots, stones, orchids, vegetables, fish, everything natural. Bring a big car or pickuptruck, most shops are open daily untill 5-6 pm and don't speak english.

I made huge raised beds in my garden (i have heavy clay soil) and filled them with compost mixed with cuttings and all organics i could find. Add some worms to that and in 3-6 months it all will be nice black compost.

https://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=how+to+make+compost

It is really simple. Use anything organic (except big wooden stems because they might attract termites that will eat your house). The best is using leaves/grass/cuttings from tree's/ peels from fruit/ coffeefilters with the filter as well/ but don't use whole fruits with seeds because the seeds might sprout. You can also use bones, fish, eggshells.

Mix all with some bought compost and some dung and it will become compost if you keep it humid (not totally wet).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I'm filling trays again and wanted to show you what

the difference in the Klassman's, 50/50 mix and coir(L toR) for

starting plants. These trays are marked off for 25 ancho chilies

and 25 anaheim's, both Hyb's.

Same seeds, different mixes, have more trays to fill and will be

seeding them on the 26th.

Will post when the sprout.

rice555

post-37242-0-89197200-1387899233_thumb.j