Distances In Korat

Loz

The map I have of Korat has no scale and I am trying to work out how far apart places are. Could anyone please help with the following so I know what is walkable and what is not?

From Nakhon Ratchasima Train Station to the Mall? How long to walk & How far to walk?

From Station to the Korat Hotel? How long/How far?

From Station to Shell garage on Jomsurangyat Road? (ps. why have I seen three spellings for the same road?)

Also, people keep refering to Los, is that another name for Thailand?

Thanks in anticipation.

Loz

My rough guess. Train station to Mall....about 3 Km. Train Station to Korat Hotel....about 4 Km. A tuk tuk ride will cost you around 50 Baht to either one of those places. Don't know about the Shell station. I think the different spellings of roads because when one tries to translate "phonetically" a Thai word (name) it is bound to come out with different spellings.

And of course LOS stands for "Land of Smiles", so sure it's another name for Thailand. :o

Thank you, Ken

Much appreciated. I feel soooo muh better about my move now. I will have to make some effort to learn the language but working at a language school should surely help!

I am just counting the days to getting in there now.

I have, on th advice of "elders" decided not to waste a day in BKK and get straight up to Korat on Saturday. Might even take a Taxi for up to 2500bht. which I understand is the most it should cost. If its 3.5hrs in a Bus can I expect it to be under 3 hours in a Taxi? (leaving at 7am ish from the airport?)

Just thought of a great pinned thread to have.

Useful Phrases in Thai Translation: I'm gonna start it. Hope you'll chip in with what you know to be useful...

I will have to disagree with Ken’s distances I would say that from the train station to the Mall is roughly 1 km and would take about 15 minutes to walk, the Korat Hotel is about 2 km from the station and should take no longer that 25 min the shell gas station is only a 5 minute walk from the station, but could take you considerably longer if you bumped into Ken as you walked past the Pasinie.

Korat has a very good public transport system with aircon buses and song thaws which follow all the main routes and Tuk Tuks and salmlors also prowl the streets looking for prey.

:D Ok, Steve is probably closer on the distances than I was. Indeed, I would have to say the Mall is around 1 Km from the train station, if you know the short cuts. I still think the Korat Hotel is closer to 3 Km than 2 Km, but I would have to "time it" on the motorcycle sometime.

I will be in Korat today, but in the truck so don't think I'll check the "milage" today. Taking it to the shop for the 50KM check up. Wifey shopping of course. Will stop at Pasinee and "warn" Mike (of the Pasinee) of "Loz" pending arrival. I will be picking up Steve's "best friend" :o arriving from Bangkok to come back up to Tako with me.

Loz: The Pasinee has 3 motorbikes that they rent out. Not sure about prices. As far as motorcycle insurance to cover "damages", I don't think you will find that around here. With motorcycles, if you break it you pay for the repair or replacement, I think.

Edited by Ken

Just a suggestion, Loz. download Google Earth from www.earth.google.com and have a look at Korat. The pic's hi res and on the "Koratforum" you can find some placemarks. You can measure distances (line) with the tool, too.

Here is the link to all of the google earth placemarks Google Earth Placemarks for Korat. You can then use the measuring tool to measure distances in either Km or Statute Miles (As the Crow Flys)

Can anyone tell me where "Jo Ho" is, just off Highway 2 in Korat??

is it near the Mall or further West that that??

Cheers,

Loz

Hi Loz,

Jo Ho is the area North East of Korat, it is where highway 205 crosses highway 2, If you stood with you’re back to the new bus station and turned left it is about 4km up the road, so about 6km from the Mall.

Cool,

Thank you, Gents. I guess I might need a little scooter or something to commute to the down town area then... but doubtless the bus network is pretty good?

Don't know why, but have this notion that once I'm out there I should be walking... But with no Ice on the roads I guess a scooter or old truck might sneak onto my wish list...

This is great for planning!

Cool,

Thank you, Gents. I guess I might need a little scooter or something to commute to the down town area then... but doubtless the bus network is pretty good?

Don't know why, but have this notion that once I'm out there I should be walking... But with no Ice on the roads I guess a scooter or old truck might sneak onto my wish list...

This is great for planning!

I think once you experience the heat you might re-evaluate your notion to walk...... :o

I dare say you are right!

But a few pounds (quite a few actually) have snuck on my waistline in the last couple of years so I am taking this period of my life to get back in fighting form. The heat will surely help!