Just so we Don't Forget.....

Gonzo the Face

Pearl Harbor memories fading with time

John Andrew Prime, The (Shreveport, La.) Times3:49 a.m. EST December 7, 2013
The message of Pearl Harbor has become muted with the passage of time and those who survived the attack.
1386382315001-AP-APTOPIX-WWII-REMEMBRANC

(Photo: Jason Plotkin, AP)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
SHARE 699CONNECT 100TWEET 55COMMENTEMAILMORE

SHREVEPORT, La. -- You could hardly escape reminders of it during World War II. And over the course of decades since, Dec. 7 has meant one thing to generations of Americans:

Taotoo

There are things that are serious and there are things that are able to be joked about. Pearl Harbor is not a joking about type of thing. So I suggest you stop making an ass of yourself.... your attempts at humor are better placed in some other thread if that is something you must do.

You may be older or you may not, but you need to be able to know when to rein in the stupid statements, and exercise some maturity. Save it for later and another thread.

Gonzo

Taotoo

There are things that are serious and there are things that are able to be joked about. Pearl Harbor is not a joking about type of thing. So I suggest you stop making an ass of yourself.... your attempts at humor are better placed in some other thread if that is something you must do.

You may be older or you may not, but you need to be able to know when to rein in the stupid statements, and exercise some maturity. Save it for later and another thread.

Gonzo

Beat me to it.. There are all kind of A-Holes..

Taotoo

Gonzo

The following is not a troll, a flame, or necessarily in bad taste:

What can or cannot be joked about is a matter of opinion. If Mel Brooks can joke about Germans in Europe, than others can surely joke about Japanese in Hawai.

Not sure you are best-placed to advise where one should post....

It's epic events and hard to interpret.

My gramps Merril aka "Red" fought as a Marine on Iwo jima and Marshall islands before being cut down with iron or teak wood 50 cal bullets. The Japanese had run out of steel.

Crazy times. He was part of 2 man flame thrower team to ferret Japanese out of hiding spots.

He got shot up while trying to carry another soldier to a medic. He spent a year in a hospital and maybe half a dozen wounds.

He rarely spoke of the experience.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Thanks for reminding us. I remembered as I was born 9 days later in Frisco.

My dad was stationed at the presideo and I can remember him telling me how unprepared the States really were. He was a lieutenant at the time and sent down to guard the beaches from invasion. He told me they had no ammunition.

Indeed the people of those days that followed pulled together to save the country and end a world war.

The day the Japanese entered the war was a sneak attack, albeit the timing was critical as they had formulated a plan a long time before.

Don't forget the many Allied forces mainly British and Australians that died on the Kanchanaburi railway.

The Japs were battle hardened after killing an estimated many thousands of Chinese in Manchuria

A ruthless and formidable force.

I find it rather ironic that the U.S Military/Govt is now a major Allie.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP3.HTM

Apologies in advance for slightly off topic and RIP for the many who perished at Pearl Harbor

It's a hugely significant event and very worthy of remembrance, but I never quite understood why it was particularly infamous; it was a military target after all, so in that sense there are far worse atrocities committed before then and since. (Or during WW2 of course; bombings of London, Dresden and of course Hiroshima and Nagasaki)

There is the point that there was no formal and timely declaration of war, but again that doesn't seem out of the ordinary as the US hasn't formally declared war since WW2, and engaged in armed conflicts 125 times without a prior declaration of war.

• Like 1

Mods...

Thanks for the slight exception for allowing this thread to have a moment.

I think the reminder was appreciated by some , while others found it to be a sounding board for different points to be made.

Not wanting it to denigrate to non pertinent discussion I would ask that you now please close the thread.

Thanks again

Gonzo

• Like 1

There is the point that there was no formal and timely declaration of war, but again that doesn't seem out of the ordinary as the US hasn't formally declared war since WW2, and engaged in armed conflicts 125 times without a prior declaration of war.

Very different from a sneak attack. For some strange reason, we usually tell the enemy exactly what we are going to do for at least 9 months before we do it. sad.png

Very different from a sneak attack. For some strange reason, we usually tell the enemy exactly what we are going to do for at least 9 months before we do it. sad.png

Rhetoric is just that; it's not a formal declaration of war. When an attack does happen, it tends to be sudden. (Panama, Iraq (2003), etc.) EDIT: Not saying this is bad; it's just common sense really.

And there was of course lots and lots of anti-Western rhetoric prior to WW2 breaking out in the Pacific. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_propaganda_during_World_War_II#Anti-Western )

Nobody in this topic remembers those events first hand, so a discussion of history doesn't seem inappropriate. (Other than that we're beyond the realm of 'food & services in Chiang Mai'. ;) )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Rhetoric is just that; it's not a formal declaration of war.

There is no comparison. Saddam Hussein was warned repeatedly that we were coming to get him and finally given a 24 hour ultimatum. The president urged all foreign nationals, including journalists and inspectors, to leave Iraq immediately.

The Japanese attacked with no warning - out of nowhere. That is why it is called a sneak attack.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Mods...

Thanks for the slight exception for allowing this thread to have a moment.

I think the reminder was appreciated by some , while others found it to be a sounding board for different points to be made.

Not wanting it to denigrate to non pertinent discussion I would ask that you now please close the thread.

Thanks again

Gonzo

mfr_closed1.gif