Tiger Balm fact or fiction

scubascuba3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was developed during the 1870s in Rangoon, Burma, by herbalist Aw Chu Kin, who on his deathbed, asked his sons Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par to perfect the product.[1]

Named after Aw Boon Haw whose name means "Gentle Tiger", Tiger Balm is an herbal formulation for external pain relief. Tiger Balm is available in several varieties, the "cold" Tiger Balm White (recommended for use with headaches) and the "hot" Tiger Balm Red. Another version is called Tiger Balm Ultra.[citation needed]

From the package notes that accompany Tiger Balm

Tiger Balm is made from a secret herbal formulation that dates back to the times of the Chinese emperors. The Aw brothers, Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par, inherited the formulation from their herbalist father who left China. They call it Tiger Balm, after Boon Haw, (whose name in Chinese meant "Tiger") who was instrumental in devising the remarkable selling strategies that made Tiger Balm a household name in many East and South Eastern Asian countries today.

[citation needed]

During the 1930s the Aw family founded the Tiger Balm Gardens in Singapore and Hong Kong to promote the product.

Composition Ingredient[2] Red White Menthol 10% 8% Camphor 11% 11% Dementholised mint oil 6% 16% Cajuput oil 7% 13% Clove bud oil 5% 1.5% Cassia oil 5%

The remainder is a petroleum jelly and paraffin base. The packaging label states that the active ingredients are menthol and camphor.

The original Tiger Balm Red and Tiger Balm White have 25% of camphor.[3] A new product named Tiger Balm White HR uses eucalyptus oil instead of cajuput oil.[3]

I think Windex works better:lol:

In case someone does not understand, its Greek remedy from My Big fat Greek wedding movie

Sorry off topic, but could not help myself

Or anyone else apparently. Hows the maid?..the maids son? and the veritable Noahs Ark of animals working out?? The dogs and goats

?

Did you kick him out yet?

Just asking

• Like 1

Let's see.

We rubbed horse liniment on horses.

And Corona Udder Butter cow liniment on cow teats.

We even had Bag Balm for milk cow teats and the milker's hands.

But we never did figure out what to put on tigers.

Now I know. tongue.png

As an endurance road/triathlete bike rider I always smear a big glob of Bag Balm onto my parts that come into contact with the bike seat. Been using it for years and none better - cheap, plentiful and works great.

maybe you should get some shorts biggrin.png

• Like 2

I first came into contact with Tiger Balm in the early 1950's when serving in the far east. It was a "cure all" and was great for the "morning after". A Malay would tour the mess decks of the naval barracks in Singapore selling "Tiger Balm, Massage" all for a Singapore dollar (2 shillings and fourpence in those days!) When I returned to the UK mid-50's with a couple of tins in my luggage it was confiscated by customs as "containing opium." I believe it did in the early days, and its removal was one of the conditions for allowing it into Europe. I've always bought myself a couple of tins whenever i visited and still use it - yep, for aches and sprains, bites and stings, and as a cure for hangover! It is on sale in UK, in three colours, and you are right, the dark version does stain!

It's never been as good since they banned the opium content.

BTW leaches are still used in some hospitals as a treatment.

I rememeber when you could get it in two colours.

These days the mrs buys Golden Cup.

You still can. The red/dark color is more common in the PI. Secret is to apply immediately after a bite, but this is probably true of most insect-bite remedies... The dark color variety WILL come off on/stain white sheets

Use it for insect bites, mild headaches, muscle pain...no harm in camphor!

Yes it is a super formulation and works but ... no harm in camphor?

Camphor can easily cross the skin, the mucous membranes, and the placental barrier, and it can cause significant hepatoneurotoxicity. Ingestion of even small doses of camphor can cause fatal poisoning in small children, it should not be used on broken skin, nor ingested.

I would recommend that expecting ladies should avoid it like the plague.

Along with essential oils of Rose and other seemingly innocuous oils, they can be very dangerous during the first trimester.

I know this because of my long term interest in aromatherapy.

Same as Vicks Vapo Rub but stronger. It was better when it had the tiger bone in it.

Seriously, is that how it got its name, nothing surprises me in Amazing Thailand.

Have a read of post 33 by Sawadee, all is explained there.

I got up in the middle of the night to urinate and something bit me.Hurt like hell but Lady Pla was on the job rubbing the foot with the Tiger Balm.I don't know if that fixed it or her words that when I get up in the night I do not have a wai but I should bow the head when I walk past the photos of the late Papa and Mama who have gone to the Great Temple.I was laughing and crying at the same time

Do not laugh at this stuff Mate, listen to what they say.

Try the popular cough medicine, available at any 7/11, with 0.6% of said ingredient. It's not included in the 'export' version you buy at the airport.

It puts you in a suitable state of mind if you have to sit through a 2 or 3 hour event at the Wat.

I sometimes wonder about some of the monks too.

Tiger Balm has been around longer than you or I and a serious family fortune has been built on it.

There are many similar ointments here and the Thais seem to use them as first medication for most ailments.

I have never checked ingredients but possibly it's the evaporation and cooling effect more than anything medicinal. I must agree they do help mozzie bites but perhaps because of the same effects.

Tiger Balm has never contained opium. Even so, opium would be useless when applied topically.

Same as Vicks Vapo Rub but stronger. It was better when it had the tiger bone in it.

There was never tiger bone in Tiger Balm. The word "tiger" in the name Tiger Balm comes from the name of the inventor.

Edited by HerbalEd

It was developed during the 1870s in Rangoon, Burma, by herbalist Aw Chu Kin, who on his deathbed, asked his sons Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par to perfect the product.%5B1%5D

Named after Aw Boon Haw whose name means "Gentle Tiger", Tiger Balm is an herbal formulation for external pain relief. Tiger Balm is available in several varieties, the "cold" Tiger Balm White (recommended for use with headaches) and the "hot" Tiger Balm Red. Another version is called Tiger Balm Ultra.[citation needed]

Tiger Balm is made from a secret herbal formulation that dates back to the times of the Chinese emperors. The Aw brothers, Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par, inherited the formulation from their herbalist father who left China. They call it Tiger Balm, after Boon Haw, (whose name in Chinese meant "Tiger") who was instrumental in devising the remarkable selling strategies that made Tiger Balm a household name in many East and South Eastern Asian countries today.

[citation needed]

During the 1930s the Aw family founded the Tiger Balm Gardens in Singapore and Hong Kong to promote the product.

Composition Ingredient%5B2%5D Red White Menthol 10% 8% Camphor 11% 11% Dementholised mint oil 6% 16% Cajuput oil 7% 13% Clove bud oil 5% 1.5% Cassia oil 5%

The remainder is a petroleum jelly and paraffin base. The packaging label states that the active ingredients are menthol and camphor.

The original Tiger Balm Red and Tiger Balm White have 25% of camphor.%5B3%5D A new product named Tiger Balm White HR uses eucalyptus oil instead of cajuput oil.%5B3%5D

I am not being sarcastic in any way.

It's great that some people have the time and take the trouble to research and fully inform the rest of us.

Good work!

My Thai wife has recently started using the Tiger Balm patches for a shoulder strain. Didn't know about them till the local farmacy gave us a couple, probably an introductory promotion. Worth it as she has bought several more.

PS: My family members in the UK only want the Red, maybe it's the strongest?

Edited by Bpuumike

Use it for insect bites, mild headaches, muscle pain...no harm in camphor!

Yes it is a super formulation and works but ... no harm in camphor?

Camphor can easily cross the skin, the mucous membranes, and the placental barrier, and it can cause significant hepatoneurotoxicity. Ingestion of even small doses of camphor can cause fatal poisoning in small children, it should not be used on broken skin, nor ingested.

I would recommend that expecting ladies should avoid it like the plague.

Along with essential oils of Rose and other seemingly innocuous oils, they can be very dangerous during the first trimester.

I know this because of my long term interest in aromatherapy.

Baloney! Perhaps if they took a very large dose internally there "might" be a problem ... but topical use of Tiger Balm ... and especially rose oil ... will have no effect what-so-ever on pregnancy.

It was developed during the 1870s in Rangoon, Burma, by herbalist Aw Chu Kin, who on his deathbed, asked his sons Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par to perfect the product.[1]

[citation needed]

Composition Ingredient[2] Red White Menthol 10% 8% Camphor 11% 11% Dementholised mint oil 6% 16% Cajuput oil 7% 13% Clove bud oil 5% 1.5% Cassia oil 5%

The original Tiger Balm Red and Tiger Balm White have 25% of camphor.[3] A new product named Tiger Balm White HR uses eucalyptus oil instead of cajuput oil.[3]

You should give credit to the source for all the info you quote ... i.e., Wikipedia.

I think Windex works better:lol:

In case someone does not understand, its Greek remedy from My Big fat Greek wedding movie

Sorry off topic, but could not help myself

Or anyone else apparently. Hows the maid?..the maids son? and the veritable Noahs Ark of animals working out?? The dogs and goats

?

Did you kick him out yet?

Just asking

What you on today? lol

My wife rubs some on my belly when I have a stomach ache. Stops the pain almost instantly.

Yes, bizarre, isn't it? I couldn't see why this would work, what with my superior science education and all, but the missus forced me to try it, and it worked the first time and every time since.

There's good medical science to explain this. It's called a "counter irritant" whereby the aromatic oils and resins stimulate the subjacent nerves (nerves below the area of application) which run to their corresponding muscles or organs.

Let's see.

We rubbed horse liniment on horses.

And Corona Udder Butter cow liniment on cow teats.

We even had Bag Balm for milk cow teats and the milker's hands.

But we never did figure out what to put on tigers.

Now I know. tongue.png

As an endurance road/triathlete bike rider I always smear a big glob of Bag Balm onto my parts that come into contact with the bike seat. Been using it for years and none better - cheap, plentiful and works great.

this product works wonders also:

post-74977-0-02283200-1386555882_thumb.j

• Like 1

Have used the tiger balm patches - was surprised at how much they actually heated up.

A similar "one size fits all" medicinal product would seem to be the nasal inhalers sold all over Thailand - have seen the bottom end containing the liquid being unscrewed and applied directly to bites. Also was having a coffee one day at a favourite café on Samui - had left my sniffer on the bar while I chatted to one of the friendly staff members who I know quite well. She seemed a bit subdued so i inquired if everything was ok - she asked if she could borrow my sniffer, proceeded to unscrew the bottom half, and dive it down past the waste band of her jeans and rub it on her abdomen - I raised an eyebrow and she casually replied "period pain" - she went to hand the sniffer back, but I suggested she could keep that one!