Tiger Balm fact or fiction

scubascuba3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a similar problem trying to enter France with a couple of small jars of Tiger Balm.

The Customs guy there told me that all Tiger Balm products are illegal in France because of some of the contents.

WARNING:

First I will say that Tiger Balm does work. I use it for a sore back and am pleased with the result.

The warning.

A few years ago, while in Bangkok, my back was acting up, so I went to a pharmacy and bought some Tiger Balm adhesive patches to put on my sore back.

They worked well.

Here' the problem.

When I returned to the U.S.A., at San Francisco International Airport, Customs inspected my bags and found the Tiger Balm.

They threw a fit.

They detained me for over an hour!

They informed me that Tiger Balm from Asia was made with actual Tiger parts, and tigers are an endangered species.

It was a serious violation of the law for me to attempt to "smuggle" any into the U.S.

They treated me like a criminal and all but handcuffed and arrested me.

After telling them several times that I had been purchasing U.S. made Tiger Balm in California for years and did not know Asian Tiger Balm was any different, they finally took the Tiger Balm and released me.

They informed me that the incident had been entered into their data base and that I would be scrutinized closely when entering the U.S. in the future.

Funny thing is, I've entered the U.S. several times since and my bags have not even been looked at!

My pain in the back, became a pain in the butt!

Anyway, I like Tiger Balm, but thought travelers should know of my experience traveling with it!

mind, leeches are back

but they almost extinct sadly

that people have to import them from turkey

leeches work for people with artritis

it helps the bloodflow

Leeches are now commonly used in reconstructive surgery, like when surgically reattaching severed arms, hands, fingers, etc. The leeches are attached to the wounded area in order to keep blood from stagnating and blocking the flow of fresh healing blood to the damaged tissue.

BTW, leeches are far from extinct. There are a few leech species which are endangered, but the hundreds of other leech species are doing quite well. Interestingly, most leech species live in the sea where they live off the blood of fish.

Edited by HerbalEd

A similar "one size fits all" medicinal product would seem to be the nasal inhalers sold all over Thailand - have seen the bottom end containing the liquid being unscrewed and applied directly to bites. Also was having a coffee one day at a favourite café on Samui - had left my sniffer on the bar while I chatted to one of the friendly staff members who I know quite well. She seemed a bit subdued so i inquired if everything was ok - she asked if she could borrow my sniffer, proceeded to unscrew the bottom half, and dive it down past the waste band of her jeans and rub it on her abdomen - I raised an eyebrow and she casually replied "period pain" - she went to hand the sniffer back, but I suggested she could keep that one!

Poy sian, I never leave home without one. The tube with green strip is the best (yes they are all same, but my wife insists) laugh.png The bottom half fits wrong way on the top, put the pieces together and shake, close the cap for a couple of minutes - reloaded, the first sniff is very strong.

Much of the same stuff as in tiger palm, camphor, eucalyptus, etc

Use it for insect bites, mild headaches, muscle pain...no harm in camphor!

Yes it is a super formulation and works but ... no harm in camphor?

Camphor can easily cross the skin, the mucous membranes, and the placental barrier, and it can cause significant hepatoneurotoxicity. Ingestion of even small doses of camphor can cause fatal poisoning in small children, it should not be used on broken skin, nor ingested.

I would recommend that expecting ladies should avoid it like the plague.

Along with essential oils of Rose and other seemingly innocuous oils, they can be very dangerous during the first trimester.

I know this because of my long term interest in aromatherapy.

Baloney! Perhaps if they took a very large dose internally there "might" be a problem ... but topical use of Tiger Balm ... and especially rose oil ... will have no effect what-so-ever on pregnancy.

Well, there are many who would disagree with you, have a look on Google "what essential oils should not be used during pregnancy"

Aromatherapy dictionaries that I have also give warnings.

However, you are entitled to your opinion.