Faststone Image Viewer

Tywais

I stumbled across this site recently and found the program to be a very good replacement for ACDSee. Not as blotted and much faster. Some of my image folders hold 3-4000 images and handles them well. Several built in batch editing/conversion tools and the price is exellant - free. :o

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Agreed. I've also switched from ACDSee to Fastsone. Another nice feature is the email button that lets you resize before sending.

I don't use image viewers enough to know but from past experience think it is rather hard to beat Irfanview. That ACDC never worked right for me (tried at least 3 different versions over the years).

I stumbled across this site recently and found the program to be a very good replacement for ACDSee. Not as blotted and much faster. Some of my image folders hold 3-4000 images and handles them well. Several built in batch editing/conversion tools and the price is exellant - free. :o

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Hi TyWais,

Anyone else installed and use this toolbar?

theme0out.png

I stumbled upon a very good webmaster's personal choice of free programs: http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/apps.htm

Three I tried (there are only so many hours in a day!) were excellent:

Pixie - a very nifty tool for finding the hex, rgb, etc values of a colour, with the facility to easily copy values into your keyboard buffer.

Anry colour - similar capabilities and an additional feature of similar, contrasting colours and also a magnifier. (Ideal tools for webdesigners).

ExplorerXP - a fast tabbed web browser that saves/displays path/directory size. Other features include printing, saving groups, etc Looks as though it is a good replacement for having umpteen Explorer windows open.

Cheers,

John_Betong

I stumbled upon a very good webmaster's personal choice of free programs: http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/apps.htm

Three I tried (there are only so many hours in a day!) were excellent:

Good link, and know what you mean about 'so many hours'. :o I tend to stay away from any toolbars, got burned too many times from some - plus don't like too much clutter in my browser.

Irfan is my favourite and also gives resizing.

Downloading your suggestion as I write this and will check it out.

Thanks

The feature list is quite extensive and includes resizing, rotating, color/contrast/brightness, etc. Also e-mail image with option to change the size for the e-mail (as JSixpack mentioned). A couple of problems I have with IranView is the lack of clean integration of thumbnails and viewing. Also I just tried IranView on my digital camera folders and it crashed everytime. Faststone had no problems showing my raw format images (MRW). I'm not often impressed with a program, but this one is surprisingly full featured for a freebie. The only thing it doesn't support is multi-media files (video) which is all I use IranView for now.

When you open an image from the thumbnail you can move your mouse to the different edges (top, bottom, left) of the image and a set of menus popup allowing you do a variety of things with the image such as rotating, resizing, cropping, etc. Plus it has a picture preview like ACDSee which I haven't seen with IranView (maybe I just don't have it configured right).

Edited by tywais

I was wrong about the video presentation mode. Does it very well also, I just didn't select the image/video filter menu. Only thumbnails the videos but double clicking will send it to your default multi-media player program.

Edited by tywais

Good tip, Tywais (as usual) :o

Have you tried their version of Snagit yet?

I'm unable to capture stuff by scrolling down (or up)?

Thanks. :D

The scrolling web page capture only works with IE or browsers that use the IE engine. I just tried it under Avant and it worked perfectly. Just right click on the FSCapture icon and select "Screen Capture" "Scrolling Web Page" then click on the page (will have a red border). A preview of the full page will come up then you can right click and "save as".

An example, scaled down 75% to keep the size small.

----- post-566-1147404229_thumb.jpg

Edited by tywais