Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

After reading the Commission of audit paper where they recommend the govt

cease funding for the Australia Network and listening to Malcolm Tunball on

Q&A yesterday, it looks as if it will be cannned.

Turnball basically said that with the internet now, satellite services are pretty

much obsolete.

Hard to argue with that even though my internet is crap. A/N is an expensive luxury

methinks. But I would be gutted when/if it goes as that will probably mean no more footy for me.

I don't know how long the current contract is or if anyone like Sky would be interested in replacing it.

Worrying time......

Haven't read the paper yet, will get around to it... maybe... In any case, I'm surprised by Turnball's comments, internet has a place in the market and is certainly (at least here in BKK) decent enough speeds to sustain it, but I think what the Hon Member for Wentworth fails to understand is "Geoblocking", all the networks do it. Otherwise if they do shitcan it, chooka, you still got that AFL Live freebie? wink.png

I'm still confident that Murdoch, through Fox, will pick it up.

I think what Turnball meant was, that with the internet , streaming and AFL Live etc, the satellite days

are obsolete. I have A/N via sat and also from CTH.

I hope Uncle Rupert does pick it up though.

After reading the Commission of audit paper where they recommend the govt

cease funding for the Australia Network and listening to Malcolm Tunball on

Q&A yesterday, it looks as if it will be cannned.

Turnball basically said that with the internet now, satellite services are pretty

much obsolete.

Hard to argue with that even though my internet is crap. A/N is an expensive luxury

methinks. But I would be gutted when/if it goes as that will probably mean no more footy for me.

I don't know how long the current contract is or if anyone like Sky would be interested in replacing it.

Worrying time......

Haven't read the paper yet, will get around to it... maybe... In any case, I'm surprised by Turnball's comments, internet has a place in the market and is certainly (at least here in BKK) decent enough speeds to sustain it, but I think what the Hon Member for Wentworth fails to understand is "Geoblocking", all the networks do it. Otherwise if they do shitcan it, chooka, you still got that AFL Live freebie? wink.png

I'm still confident that Murdoch, through Fox, will pick it up.

I think what Turnball meant was, that with the internet , streaming and AFL Live etc, the satellite days

are obsolete. I have A/N via sat and also from CTH.

I hope Uncle Rupert does pick it up though.

The federal government spend about $22 million each year on the service. I do hope some other organisation do take it over but I doubt it will happen.

• Like 1

EXCLUSIVE: Tony Lockett | After the game

Given the saturation coverage he generated during 18 seasons of VFL-AFL football, you can’t blame Lockett for shunning the spotlight. Being labelled “reclusive” because he has never courted publicity doesn’t help.

The simple fact is that the St Kilda and Sydney legend, who rarely gives personal interviews, has lived on a hobby farm with his family in the NSW Southern Highlands since hanging up his famous number 4 in 2002.

http://www.theweeklyreviewstonnington.com.au/story/1801309/exclusive-tony-lockett-after-the-game/

• Like 2

Lions CEO stood down. Chairman looking shaky, too

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-ceo-malcolm-holmes-stood-down-afl-to-withdraw-support-of-springfield-venture/story-fnia3y5g-1226909714327

Under pressure from the new CEO of the AFL, Malcolm Holmes has been stood down and the AFL will no longer back the planned $15 million training venue at Springfield (way out in the western suburbs, within Ipswich city boundaries), a project backed by Chairman Bob Sharpless who has a conflict of interest in the venture.

The Lions are $10 million in debt and that looks like increasing to $12 million by the end of the year. Gillon McLachlan has said rescuing the Lions is a priority, as it well should be, given that it was the AFL's decision to bring in the Suns that led to the Lions' woes. SE Queensland simply can't support two AFL sides only 60 km from each in an environment which has two successful NRL rugby league sides, one successful Super XV rugby union side and an A-League soccer team that won the premiership last Sunday in front of a home crowd of 52,000 people.

But now we've got two AFL sides, and former support and membership has split between them. There's no sign of increasing interest in AFL at school level or in the general population; the growth code is soccer. Unless the Lions start doing well they'll only get crowds at the Gabba of around 20,000. They claim to have increased membership, but that's because of people like me who take out a 3-game membership and are counted in the total. (I won't attend night games, and most are at night.)

I don't think the Lions should be given artificial respiration from the AFL. I don't think it'll work. If the Suns do well, and I hope they will, it'll be at the Lions' expense caused by the AFL, and once they've won a premiership or two and then have to start rebuilding they'll lose support, so we'll have two struggling entities in the Brisbane-Gold Coast strip (they're just about connected now). Perhaps an amalgamation might be necessary down the track, or an absorption by Brisbane of the Suns (can't see it the other way round), but I can't see any AFL boost being enough to overcome the reality that two AFL sides can't both be successful in SE Queensland.

• Like 2

Lions CEO stood down. Chairman looking shaky, too

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-ceo-malcolm-holmes-stood-down-afl-to-withdraw-support-of-springfield-venture/story-fnia3y5g-1226909714327

Under pressure from the new CEO of the AFL, Malcolm Holmes has been stood down and the AFL will no longer back the planned $15 million training venue at Springfield (way out in the western suburbs, within Ipswich city boundaries), a project backed by Chairman Bob Sharpless who has a conflict of interest in the venture.

The Lions are $10 million in debt and that looks like increasing to $12 million by the end of the year. Gillon McLachlan has said rescuing the Lions is a priority, as it well should be, given that it was the AFL's decision to bring in the Suns that led to the Lions' woes. SE Queensland simply can't support two AFL sides only 60 km from each in an environment which has two successful NRL rugby league sides, one successful Super XV rugby union side and an A-League soccer team that won the premiership last Sunday in front of a home crowd of 52,000 people.

But now we've got two AFL sides, and former support and membership has split between them. There's no sign of increasing interest in AFL at school level or in the general population; the growth code is soccer. Unless the Lions start doing well they'll only get crowds at the Gabba of around 20,000. They claim to have increased membership, but that's because of people like me who take out a 3-game membership and are counted in the total. (I won't attend night games, and most are at night.)

I don't think the Lions should be given artificial respiration from the AFL. I don't think it'll work. If the Suns do well, and I hope they will, it'll be at the Lions' expense caused by the AFL, and once they've won a premiership or two and then have to start rebuilding they'll lose support, so we'll have two struggling entities in the Brisbane-Gold Coast strip (they're just about connected now). Perhaps an amalgamation might be necessary down the track, or an absorption by Brisbane of the Suns (can't see it the other way round), but I can't see any AFL boost being enough to overcome the reality that two AFL sides can't both be successful in SE Queensland.

I am sure Tassie will welcome one of them.

Why Sydney flag changed Morton

For our Sydney friends.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/23356726/why-sydney-flag-changed-morton/

Mitch Morton says he learnt more in two short seasons at Sydney than at any other point of his 83-game

AFL career and credits the renowned Bloods culture with teaching him to no longer be a selfish player.

• Like 1

Christ that was a depressing effort from the Bondi Billionaires.. 2.7 from Buddy! <deleted> me.. But those 2 goals did start the momentum.

Good return by Tippett, 4 straight..

Roughy's gone for a couple of weeks once the MRP meets.

Cyril's probably gone for a lot longer with a hammy and Gibson's probably going to miss a couple with a shoulder injury..

Not looking good for the Hawks..

Cabinet has approved axing of ABC's Australia Network: report

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/cabinet-has-approved-axing-of-abcs-australia-network-report-20140508-zr6yz.html#ixzz31B7YTTh3

Disappointing but not unexpected.

Sad News I watch it not just for the football but to keep abreast of what is happening in Aust when in Thailand

This week there were 2 tippsters with 8/9 They were Chooka and Cia Nat Nats. The winner this week is Chia Nat Nats with the better margin, Well done.

attachicon.gifOfficial AFL Footy Tipping Competition Thailand Mob(1).jpeg

Was defeated by Rip in the dream team, Mitchell from the hawks being injured in the 1st cost me.

Come on Bookmanbiggrin.png You sent out a personal challenge with me on the tipping, I can't keep going back and picking you up and giving you the pep talk to keep going soldier. I dropped to 5th last week to pick you up and carry you along now you have to man up big fella. I'm heading for N#1 so look out Seaja.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

*cough cough**

That's one more up this week for me.... I changed my tip to the swans 5 minutes before kick off tongue.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Christ that was a depressing effort from the Bondi Billionaires.. 2.7 from Buddy! <deleted> me.. But those 2 goals did start the momentum.

Cyril's probably gone for a lot longer with a hammy and Gibson's probably going to miss a couple with a shoulder injury..

Can we please return MB to any other club other then the Swans

Great game from the Sydney team. Forward line worked for the first time this year. Ominous signs for other teams once the Sydney forward line click as a unit and also when more of them back themselves for a shot at goal rather than trying to find a key forward once inside the 50.

BigBucksBuddy had 9 scoring shots and would have been 11 if he hadn't passed off two shots he would normally have taken . Despite being inaccurate and giving away 6 penalties he looked the most free and confident he has all year in the SYdney line up.

Cinderalla Tippet made a huge difference up front, his height and marking power and accurate kicking. Even Butterfingers Reid had his best game this year. He can't take a mark inside the 50 to save his life, but in the defensive half he seems to have glue on his hands.

• Like 1

This week there were 2 tippsters with 8/9 They were Chooka and Cia Nat Nats. The winner this week is Chia Nat Nats with the better margin, Well done.

attachicon.gifOfficial AFL Footy Tipping Competition Thailand Mob(1).jpeg

Was defeated by Rip in the dream team, Mitchell from the hawks being injured in the 1st cost me.

Come on Bookmanbiggrin.png You sent out a personal challenge with me on the tipping, I can't keep going back and picking you up and giving you the pep talk to keep going soldier. I dropped to 5th last week to pick you up and carry you along now you have to man up big fella. I'm heading for N#1 so look out Seaja.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

*cough cough**

That's one more up this week for me.... I changed my tip to the swans 5 minutes before kick off tongue.png

Same here.

Thought it was fitty fitty until Hodge was ruled out and that swayed it for me.

At one stage, I thought the Swans had blown it but they managed to kick away again.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can we please return MB to any other club other then the Swans

Great game from the Sydney team. Forward line worked for the first time this year. Ominous signs for other teams once the Sydney forward line click as a unit and also when more of them back themselves for a shot at goal rather than trying to find a key forward once inside the 50.

BigBucksBuddy had 9 scoring shots and would have been 11 if he hadn't passed off two shots he would normally have taken . Despite being inaccurate and giving away 6 penalties he looked the most free and confident he has all year in the SYdney line up.

Cinderalla Tippet made a huge difference up front, his height and marking power and accurate kicking. Even Butterfingers Reid had his best game this year. He can't take a mark inside the 50 to save his life, but in the defensive half he seems to have glue on his hands.

Read the AFL site this morning and couldn't believe Jetta wasn't in the best 7.

I'm sure they just have a look at possessions and rate from there. I thought Jetta's

run and carry was crucial. He just breaks the lines.

I think Tippett is more important to the Swans than Buddy, but Buddy is the x-factor.

Maybe there's a spot for Reid down back when later on in his career. He seems more

at home in defence.

I think I've now found the team to make up the top 4 along with Pt, Hawks and Geelong.

Think Freo will miss the 4 now. At full strength and in form, they could beat anyone on

their day, but I think they may struggle now to make it. Especially if they get beaten today

by Port.

I'm glad Dennis was calling the game when Mr Delicious did his hammy, otherwise Bruce

might've been rushed to ICUbiggrin.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Read the AFL site this morning and couldn't believe Jetta wasn't in the best 7.

I'm sure they just have a look at possessions and rate from there. I thought Jetta's

run and carry was crucial. He just breaks the lines.

I think Tippett is more important to the Swans than Buddy, but Buddy is the x-factor.

Maybe there's a spot for Reid down back when later on in his career. He seems more

at home in defence.

I think I've now found the team to make up the top 4 along with Pt, Hawks and Geelong.

Think Freo will miss the 4 now. At full strength and in form, they could beat anyone on

their day, but I think they may struggle now to make it. Especially if they get beaten today

by Port.

I'm glad Dennis was calling the game when Mr Delicious did his hammy, otherwise Bruce

might've been rushed to ICUbiggrin.png

jetta had his best game for the year. He had over 20 disposals which is a heap for him, but he also used the ball well and like you say broke the lines. Good to see him back playing with confidence. he also seemed to be playing in defence quite a bit. Hannebery was also back to his best form as well as Kennedy

From last night's game I agree about Cinderella Tippet. He is tall and marks the ball and kicks straight. Still, i'll take them both tongue.png . Please shave that beard off BigBucksBuddy!!!!

• Like 1