Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Jonathan Brown has hung up the boots. Guess we will see him in the media for the rest of the year doing special comments.

You reckon chooka? I've always imagined Browny going the way of - that great Sydney Swans player - Plugger and just living the quiet life... Have never figured Browny for a Matthew Richo media whore type...

• Like 1

Jonathan Brown has hung up the boots. Guess we will see him in the media for the rest of the year doing special comments.

You reckon chooka? I've always imagined Browny going the way of - that great Sydney Swans player - Plugger and just living the quiet life... Have never figured Browny for a Matthew Richo media whore type...

Did you see Barry Hall doing the boundary rider Job?tongue.png

• Like 1

I think Browny has a great knock-about personality but not too sure if it would be suited to the

media to be honest.

Maybe could see him on a footy panel with blokes like Billy Brownless etc,

but really don't see Browny being the special comments type guy.

Then again Channel 7 have so many that another one wouldn't hurt I guess.

• Like 1

Did you see Barry Hall doing the boundary rider Job?tongue.png

I reckon Big Bad Baz has some pretty decent insights when he does his thing.

• Like 2

For those interested, here are the AFLCA votes for the round.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-23/aflca-votes-round-14

Interesting to note that while Dennis and Bruce were debating

who won out of Buddy and Rance, Buddy received 9 votes and Rance got 1rolleyes.gif

Richmond v Sydney Swans
9 Franklin (Syd)
9 Martin (Rich)
3 Kennedy (Syd)
3 Parker (Syd)
2 Cotchin (Rich)
2 Ellis (Rich)
1 Cunningham (Syd)
1 Rance (Rich)
  • Like 1

For those interested, here are the AFLCA votes for the round.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-23/aflca-votes-round-14

Interesting to note that while Dennis and Bruce were debating

who won out of Buddy and Rance, Buddy received 9 votes and Rance got 1rolleyes.gif

Richmond v Sydney Swans
9 Franklin (Syd)
9 Martin (Rich)
3 Kennedy (Syd)
3 Parker (Syd)
2 Cotchin (Rich)
2 Ellis (Rich)
1 Cunningham (Syd)
1 Rance (Rich)

I agree with Buddy and Martin being up the top there.

I guess Rance did let MillionDollarBuddy kick 4 goals and win the game for us.

I see that Longmire said Tippet and Mcglynn might be back this week. Whenever i read he says a player will be back I wonder if it will be 3 weeks until we see them again

• Like 1

If Cindarella gets through training he'll play I think, McGlynn to play the super sub wink.png

Mcglynn will slot straight back in. Zak jones to replace the injured shaw. Derrcikx out. Tippet in. BJ as the sub

Yeah the only thing Derrickx has going for him is his cool name... Expect to see him offloaded at the end of the year, especially if Cindarella can make it past midnight. Even our ruck stocks in the reserves look good, Mitchell the US import (will replace The Lumberjack in the future) and Nankervis (kicked 9 goals in the reserves this season) are showing promise and Nankervis can take Derrickx's cool name spot :P

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If Cindarella gets through training he'll play I think, McGlynn to play the super sub wink.png

Mcglynn will slot straight back in. Zak jones to replace the injured shaw. Derrcikx out. Tippet in. BJ as the sub

Yeah the only thing Derrickx has going for him is his cool name... Expect to see him offloaded at the end of the year, especially if Cindarella can make it past midnight. Even our ruck stocks in the reserves look good, Mitchell the US import (will replace The Lumberjack in the future) and Nankervis (kicked 9 goals in the reserves this season) are showing promise and Nankervis can take Derrickx's cool name spot tongue.png

Sydney is currently ranked 2nd last for hit outs

Yeah the only thing Derrickx has going for him is his cool name... Expect to see him offloaded at the end of the year, especially if Cindarella can make it past midnight. Even our ruck stocks in the reserves look good, Mitchell the US import (will replace The Lumberjack in the future) and Nankervis (kicked 9 goals in the reserves this season) are showing promise and Nankervis can take Derrickx's cool name spot tongue.png

Like Leigh Matthews says "ruckmen are over-rated"biggrin.png

Seriously though, there are hit outs and there are hit outs.

And a good midfield can cover up a lot of cracks. They make everyone,

rucks, defenders and forwards look better.

In the good old days when we had Cousins, Kerr, Judd and Cox, it just

made everybody else that much better. I would love even one of those guys now.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Like Leigh Matthews says "ruckmen are over-rated"biggrin.png

Seriously though, there are hit outs and there are hit outs.

And a good midfield can cover up a lot of cracks. They make everyone,

rucks, defenders and forwards look better.

In the good old days when we had Cousins, Kerr, Judd and Cox, it just

made everybody else that much better. I would love even one of those guys now.

Yes, well Sydney have won 9 in a row, so not doing too badlytongue.png

Sydney average 33 hit outs for and their oppenents average 48 hit outs against them per game. Not sure what the Hit outs to advantage stats are though.

here are some decent Stats sites:

http://www.footywire.com/

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/team_home?tid=114#

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

I rest my case Mr Longmire...

Whereas the last few seasons we would have no doubt been up at the pointy end...

But then again maybe that's why we acquired Derrickx in the first place, a one or two season filler whilst the kids come along.

Kinnear Beatson is one of the best in the biz and he does make some calls where at first you go "what the..." But then it pays off and you go "ohhhhh I see what you did there..."

• Like 1

Yes, well Sydney have won 9 in a row, so not doing too badlytongue.png

Sydney average 33 hit outs for and their oppenents average 48 hit outs against them per game. Not sure what the Hit outs to advantage stats are though.

here are some decent Stats sites:

http://www.footywire.com/

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/team_home?tid=114#

An extra 15 hit out per game and still a top 4 side (flag favorites)? Telling stats that...

• Like 1

Bryce Gibbs has just re-signed with Carlton on a 5 year $600k a year deal.

EDIT:- added salary

IMO, he should be thanking his manager.

That is a great deal methinks.

Word down on King William St was that he was being offered $700k a year to go home...

Richmond V St Kilda this week should be interesting. 16th v 18th on the ladder and both Richmond and St Kilda had decent games last week, despite losing.

St Kilda look like they might be getting back to early season form and Richmond were very unlucky not to win against SYdney.

Difficult to pick this game but St Kilda would have to be worth a look.

Bryce Gibbs has just re-signed with Carlton on a 5 year $600k a year deal.

EDIT:- added salary

IMO, he should be thanking his manager.

That is a great deal methinks.

Word down on King William St was that he was being offered $700k a year to go home...

That's a lot of coin for a player who I think is good, not great.

I think it's the length of the contract he should be happy about.

Most contracts are 3 years these days which I think is about right.

A 5 year deal means he's guaranteed 3 million over the journey.

I just don't think he's the type of player that you need to lock away

for 5 years. I don't think I would be rapt if I was a Carlton supporter

offering a 25 year old a 5 year contract. Give him 3 and then you

can always extend.

Richmond V St Kilda this week should be interesting. 16th v 18th on the ladder and both Richmond and St Kilda had decent games last week, despite losing.

St Kilda look like they might be getting back to early season form and Richmond were very unlucky not to win against SYdney.

I think Richmond are in a lot better nick. They got within 2 goals against Freo a fortnight

ago and could've hit the lead against Syd in the last quarter.

St Kilda on the other hand got belted by a 100 points against Geelong 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't give too much credence to the game against WC. The Eagles are really

struggling and are always average away from home.

I reckon the Tiges comfortably (sorry chooka).

• Like 1

I think Richmond are in a lot better nick. They got within 2 goals against Freo a fortnight

ago and could've hit the lead against Syd in the last quarter.

St Kilda on the other hand got belted by a 100 points against Geelong 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't give too much credence to the game against WC. The Eagles are really

struggling and are always average away from home.

I reckon the Tiges comfortably (sorry chooka).

I like your optimism KhunWill, but I think this game will offer up some surprises

• Like 2

Leigh Matthews' hard call on Lions' leavers

THE NEXT Brisbane Lions player wanting to leave because of homesickness won't be calling the shots if Leigh Matthews has anything to do with it.

After watching five first round picks walk from the club at the end of last year, Matthews said he would have played hard-ball if he had been involved with the Lions at the time.

And in an effort to stop the leaking of players from northern states, Matthews has also called on the AFL to deliver a 'development state tax' to players earning under a certain amount of money.

The Lions' 'Go Home Five' – Jared Polec, Patrick Karnezis, Billy Longer, Sam Docherty and Elliot Yeo – all called to be traded to their home state at the end of 2013, leaving the Lions with just second round picks as trade compensation.

Matthews was not on the board of directors at that stage, as he is now, but said he would have made an example of them.

"You can just stop them going and put them in the pre-season draft," he told AFL.com.au.

I'm prepared to say if I'd been in a position of power at the Lions last trade period, I don't know whether I would have just allowed those five players to go to the club of their choice.

"I might have just said 'we can't allow that to happen, and if you want to go in the pre-season draft, fine, but we're not going to let you go to the club of your choice after you've been two years up here'.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-24/leigh-lethal-on-gohomers

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Leigh Matthews' hard call on Lions' leavers

THE NEXT Brisbane Lions player wanting to leave because of homesickness won't be calling the shots if Leigh Matthews has anything to do with it.

After watching five first round picks walk from the club at the end of last year, Matthews said he would have played hard-ball if he had been involved with the Lions at the time.

And in an effort to stop the leaking of players from northern states, Matthews has also called on the AFL to deliver a 'development state tax' to players earning under a certain amount of money.

The Lions' 'Go Home Five' – Jared Polec, Patrick Karnezis, Billy Longer, Sam Docherty and Elliot Yeo – all called to be traded to their home state at the end of 2013, leaving the Lions with just second round picks as trade compensation.

Matthews was not on the board of directors at that stage, as he is now, but said he would have made an example of them.

"You can just stop them going and put them in the pre-season draft," he told AFL.com.au.

I'm prepared to say if I'd been in a position of power at the Lions last trade period, I don't know whether I would have just allowed those five players to go to the club of their choice.

"I might have just said 'we can't allow that to happen, and if you want to go in the pre-season draft, fine, but we're not going to let you go to the club of your choice after you've been two years up here'.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-24/leigh-lethal-on-gohomers

I remember Chocco Williams making a similar stand against one of his players Nick Stevens

when he was coaching Port. I think he wanted to go Collingwood but ended up with Carlton

who were near the bottom.

Sometimes you have to just make a stand.

I think WCE should've dome similar with Judd at the time. He was the best

footballer in the comp when he left and we couldn't even get first pick for him.

I remember Leigh Matthews saying "Judd has changed the way transfers are being done".

Judd basically said I only want to go to clubs A, B or C. And then "interviewed" the clubs

to see what they could offer.

I'm with Lethal on this one.

• Like 2

Freo v west coast.

Freo favorites for the local derby and have won the last 4 contests against WC

Could we see an Eagles upset here?

I'd like to say yes BookMan but I don't think so.

The Ade derby on the other hand could be interesting.

I have been trying to login to the AFL Fantasy. can not get up screen to login. This has happened yesterday and today. Has anyone else had this problem?

I was having issues over the weekend but everything seems to be ok since then...