Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Leigh Matthews' hard call on Lions' leavers

THE NEXT Brisbane Lions player wanting to leave because of homesickness won't be calling the shots if Leigh Matthews has anything to do with it.

After watching five first round picks walk from the club at the end of last year, Matthews said he would have played hard-ball if he had been involved with the Lions at the time.

And in an effort to stop the leaking of players from northern states, Matthews has also called on the AFL to deliver a 'development state tax' to players earning under a certain amount of money.

The Lions' 'Go Home Five' – Jared Polec, Patrick Karnezis, Billy Longer, Sam Docherty and Elliot Yeo – all called to be traded to their home state at the end of 2013, leaving the Lions with just second round picks as trade compensation.

Matthews was not on the board of directors at that stage, as he is now, but said he would have made an example of them.

"You can just stop them going and put them in the pre-season draft," he told AFL.com.au.

I'm prepared to say if I'd been in a position of power at the Lions last trade period, I don't know whether I would have just allowed those five players to go to the club of their choice.

"I might have just said 'we can't allow that to happen, and if you want to go in the pre-season draft, fine, but we're not going to let you go to the club of your choice after you've been two years up here'.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-24/leigh-lethal-on-gohomers

I remember Chocco Williams making a similar stand against one of his players Nick Stevens

when he was coaching Port. I think he wanted to go Collingwood but ended up with Carlton

who were near the bottom.

Sometimes you have to just make a stand.

I think WCE should've dome similar with Judd at the time. He was the best

footballer in the comp when he left and we couldn't even get first pick for him.

I remember Leigh Matthews saying "Judd has changed the way transfers are being done".

Judd basically said I only want to go to clubs A, B or C. And then "interviewed" the clubs

to see what they could offer.

I'm with Lethal on this one.

I think a lot of clubs go through this with interstate players, it'll continue until such time as it becomes a league where wherever you're team is based is where you can choose your players from, we might then see the likes of St Kilda, Carlton, Richmond, Western Bulldogs etc winning premierships :P

In cases of "homesickness", I think it's up to the AFL to be clamping down on it or compensating with first round picks, none of this deep in the 2nd/3rd/4th round bullshit. Playing hardball will probably have a negative impact.

I can remember a player drafted by Brisbane who initially refused to go with them and spent an extra season in the SANFL. This big head challenged the whole draft system, and initially resisted going to The Bears. He reluctantly went there the next year, but refused to stay with them and did a deal to move to Victoria after one season.

The Bears knew they weren't going to be able keep him so dealt with Collingwood to swap him for two players and their top draft pick.

Clubs in non AFL states would disappear if they had to pick only from their own areas. If they again divided the country up into territories it would create more dissention among players than the draft system. I think this is the only fair way of doing it.

A whole different level, but when I was a lad playing footy I was bought up as a strong West Perth supporter. Unfortunately, my suburb was designated as part of Subiaco's territory so I had no choice on which club I went to. No if, no buts, no transfers. I wasted a year or two playing Sunday league before reluctantly turning up at Subi oval halfway through a season. Left my run a bit late for bigger things.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

Freo v west coast.

Freo favorites for the local derby and have won the last 4 contests against WC

Could we see an Eagles upset here?

I'd like to say yes BookMan but I don't think so.

The Ade derby on the other hand could be interesting.

After 4 weeks being away my tipping suffered badly,trying to catch up 6 wins will be difficult on the way home.

Adelaide for me this week,home crowd.

Starting to get the hang of fantasy although a little to late.

My gut feeling is that Nick will leave at the end of the year and possibly see his career out at the Gold Coast.

NICK Riewoldt says he won’t leave a rebuilding St Kilda to chase a premiership at another club.

Riewoldt was approached by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire during last year’s trade period and former Essendon forward Matthew Lloyd has suggested Riewoldt could help a club such as Port Adelaide, Geelong or Fremantle win a premiership.

Lloyd said a trade deal could deliver two quality youngsters to the Saints, but Riewoldt says he isn’t thinking about leaving the club he has captained since 2007.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-captain-nick-riewoldt-says-hes-not-thinking-of-leaving-club/story-fni5f9q3-1226966077705?nk=9d455b72f15e0ff9349015a12acaa739

• Like 1

I can remember a player drafted by Brisbane who initially refused to go with them and spent an extra season in the SANFL. This big head challenged the whole draft system, and initially resisted going to The Bears. He reluctantly went there the next year, but refused to stay with them and did a deal to move to Victoria after one season.

The Bears knew they weren't going to be able keep him so dealt with Collingwood to swap him for two players and their top draft pick.

Clubs in non AFL states would disappear if they had to pick only from their own areas. If they again divided the country up into territories it would create more dissention among players than the draft system. I think this is the only fair way of doing it.

A whole different level, but when I was a lad playing footy I was bought up as a strong West Perth supporter. Unfortunately, my suburb was designated as part of Subiaco's territory so I had no choice on which club I went to. No if, no buts, no transfers. I wasted a year or two playing Sunday league before reluctantly turning up at Subi oval halfway through a season. Left my run a bit late for bigger things.

Was that reluctant brisbane player Nathan Buckley ?

• Like 2

Wasn't the rumour about Buckley was that he didn't want to play with the Bears because he wanted to play finals?

Brissy ended up with 3 premierships and he go SFAbiggrin.png

I'm a Cardie supporter as well mate. Good to read today that West Perth have made the GF of the Foxtel cup.

• Like 2

My gut feeling is that Nick will leave at the end of the year and possibly see his career out at the Gold Coast.

NICK Riewoldt says he wont leave a rebuilding St Kilda to chase a premiership at another club.

Riewoldt was approached by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire during last years trade period and former Essendon forward Matthew Lloyd has suggested Riewoldt could help a club such as Port Adelaide, Geelong or Fremantle win a premiership.

Lloyd said a trade deal could deliver two quality youngsters to the Saints, but Riewoldt says he isnt thinking about leaving the club he has captained since 2007.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-captain-nick-riewoldt-says-hes-not-thinking-of-leaving-club/story-fni5f9q3-1226966077705?nk=9d455b72f15e0ff9349015a12acaa739

He comes from the Gold Coast so quite possible. The saints could get a decent pick for him and it would also free up a lot in thier salary cap.

Freo v west coast.

After 4 weeks being away my tipping suffered badly,trying to catch up 6 wins will be difficult on the way home.

6 wins can be made up in a couple of weeks farmerjo!

Freo v west coast.

6 wins can be made up in a couple of weeks farmerjo!

bah.gif

• Like 1

NICK Riewoldt says he won’t leave a rebuilding St Kilda to chase a premiership at another club.

Riewoldt was approached by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire during last year’s trade period and former Essendon forward Matthew Lloyd has suggested Riewoldt could help a club such as Port Adelaide, Geelong or Fremantle win a premiership.

Lloyd said a trade deal could deliver two quality youngsters to the Saints, but Riewoldt says he isn’t thinking about leaving the club he has captained since 2007.

St Kilda has a good history of passing on its Goal Kicking forwards later in their careers, so no surprise really

• Like 1

Wasn't the rumour about Buckley was that he didn't want to play with the Bears because he wanted to play finals?

Brissy ended up with 3 premierships and he go SFAbiggrin.png

I think you're right, Will. To be fair though, Buckley played well for Brisbane in the year he was there.

I know little about Buckley, but read an interview with him and Martin Flanagan a few years ago. He seemed OK. Hated the FIGJAM label and thought it was really unfair.

On reflection, though, I thought both Buckley and Malthouse overreacted and showed bad sportsmanship after the 2002 GF.

Edited by Xangsamhua
  • Like 2

I have been trying to login to the AFL Fantasy. can not get up screen to login. This has happened yesterday and today. Has anyone else had this problem?

I was having issues over the weekend but everything seems to be ok since then...

Thanks Grant

I just tried again and no luck using Chrome. Tried Firefox no problem

Yeah but Sydney's not looking for anyone at the moment :P

He's a good chance to go I reckon, but Saints will get sweet fanny Adams in return...

Lloyd's a <deleted> moron, wouldn't know his <deleted> from his earhole...

Lloyd likes to get that cotton bud deep into the ears for cleaning eh?

St Kilda has a good history of passing on its Goal Kicking forwards later in their careers, so no surprise really

And Sydney would know. who have the produced themselves? They have taken the likes of Locket, Hall, Tippet and Buddy but who have the swans actually produced.

And Sydney would know. who have the produced themselves? They have taken the likes of Locket, Hall, Tippet and Buddy but who have the swans actually produced.

Kieren Jack

Brett Kirk ,Paul Kelly, Adam Goodes, Mickey O,Louchlin to name a couple

ok you got methumbsup.gif Fine players

• Like 2

Guys

Just read this morning that Nat Fyfe has resigned for Freo.

If you could pick any player from another club, who would it be?

Personally, I think Ablett is the best player in the comp followed by Franklin.

If I could have anyone at WC, I'd pick Fyfe.

• Like 1

Guys

Off the market: Fyfe re-signs with Fremantle until 2017

FREANTLE'S star midfielder Nathan Fyfe has re-signed with the club for a further three years, tying him to the club until at least the end of 2017.

Fyfe's contract was set to expire at the end of this year, but the reigning best and fairest winner said Fremantle remained the perfect fit for him and he was excited to put pen to paper.

"I’ve really enjoyed playing with Freo and I’m from WA," Fyfe told the club’s website.

"Ultimately, the best fit for me was to stay here in Freo."

"There’s a strong culture being built now since the acquisition of Ross Lyon and his coaching staff," Fyfe said.

"That culture is really driven by the players – high accountability, high standards.http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-26/fyfe-commits-to-freo

• Like 1

Guys

It'd be great to have Ablett in your team. Sydney already have Buddy, so...

For Sydney, what they need right now, I'd pick Harry Taylor. Boost our defensive stocks.

For excitement factor I'd take Chad Wingard.

• Like 1

Guys

For Sydney, what they need right now, I'd pick Harry Taylor. Boost our defensive stocks.

When it comes to backs, Frawley is on the market with a few clubs interested hopefully he will end up at Uncle Danny's old club.

• Like 2

Guys

Yep, I'd love Ablett (who wouldn't) but we're badly in need of midfielders.

We have some good tall forwards with Darling, Kennedy and McKenzie

and are ok down back.

The reason I'd take Fyfe over Ablett is the age factor. My second pick would

be Dangefield.

• Like 1

Guys

When it comes to backs, Frawley is on the market with a few clubs interested hopefully he will end up at Uncle Danny's old club.

I read somewhere that the price being bandied about for Chip Frawley was $800 000w00t.gif

A good player but I think at that price you'd want an elite player, a match winner and IMO,

Frawley isn't one.

• Like 2

Guys

Lewis Jetta would be more than handy for the Kangaroo's at the moment.

Guys

Guys

FREANTLE'S star midfielder Nathan Fyfe has re-signed with the club for a further three years, tying him to the club until at least the end of 2017.

Fyfe's contract was set to expire at the end of this year, but the reigning best and fairest winner said Fremantle remained the perfect fit for him and he was excited to put pen to paper.

"I’ve really enjoyed playing with Freo and I’m from WA," Fyfe told the club’s website.

"There’s a strong culture being built now since the acquisition of Ross Lyon and his coaching staff," Fyfe said.

"That culture is really driven by the players – high accountability, high standards.http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-26/fyfe-commits-to-freo

Geez it was lucky I read from the bottom up, otherwise I'd have thought Fyfe had pulled the plug :P

resigns vs re-signs ;)

As for the genie in the bottle scenario... Geez... I need a few hours to think of someone... Probably some defensive types that can provide some run and carry from the defensive 50, Shawey's coming to an end as is Malco so we'll need someone to replace those 2 superstars.

A fully fit Alex Johnson will fill half that gap.

Going through the list the Swans look to be in good shape for the next decade or so it'll be Beatson doing some spot filling around the gaps.

• Like 2

Guys

Guys

Geez it was lucky I read from the bottom up, otherwise I'd have thought Fyfe had pulled the plug tongue.png

resigns vs re-signs wink.png

As for the genie in the bottle scenario... Geez... I need a few hours to think of someone... Probably some defensive types that can provide some run and carry from the defensive 50, Shawey's coming to an end as is Malco so we'll need someone to replace those 2 superstars.

A fully fit Alex Johnson will fill half that gap.

Going through the list the Swans look to be in good shape for the next decade or so it'll be Beatson doing some spot filling around the gaps.

Oops, sorry mate, that was a bad sliprolleyes.gif

I bet you were thinking for a minute that Fyfe would look good in red and white.

A bit disappointed to read that Yarran has re-signed with Carlton.

I was hoping WC would have a chance of getting hold of him.

We desperately need some pace and carry. Bennell from GC

would've been great but he's re-signed as well.