Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Its not that expensive to field a VFL team if Footscray can do it.

The benefits of a VFL team far outweigh the costs. Just ask Cats/Pies fans over the last 15 years.

They cut the reserves for a few reasons but it was a backward step as a few clubs have seen that now field a VFL team.

The Hawks in particular though the new system hasnt hurt them had many players spending long periods in the reserves for them eventualy to walk into the seniors, how the clubs ever though giving up the control of young players and returning senior players as well as game plans and coaches associated with the VFL team always amazed me.

As we get more professional the clubs and the AFL will need to come up with something new, and expanding the interchange bench isnt so far fetched.

I think a VFL game should be the curtin rasier to all AFL games in Melbourne, to get to a ground 30 min before a game it gets to be a long afternoon with half time etc.

• Like 2

Guys

Just watched a fantastic doco called The Chosen Few on the current and past coaches.

I think 3 have been sacked since it was made.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/news/article/-/25062505/exclusive-preview-the-chosen-few/

You also get a glimpse of the coaches other side. Ross Lyon is one who comes across

as really funny.

You get the emotional side as well with horse talking about the McVie's loss and Lyon

about his sister dying of cancer.

If you see it about, it's really enjoyable.

Finished The Chosen Few and can recommend it to everyone here!

• Like 1

Die hard tragic who attends all Vic games and as many vfl games as possible biggrin.png

Don't apologise all is forgiven. I think swans supporters hold the balance of power on here at the moment so another independent will be nice. Me I'm a dogs man.
What we need is more quality saints supporters. Saints have already reached 26k in membership which is something they haven't done for a few years. Must be something in air for 2015.
  • Like 2

Die hard tragic who attends all Vic games and as many vfl games as possible biggrin.png

Don't apologise all is forgiven. I think swans supporters hold the balance of power on here at the moment so another independent will be nice. Me I'm a dogs man.
What we need is more quality saints supporters. Saints have already reached 26k in membership which is something they haven't done for a few years. Must be something in air for 2015.

Dreamer, Melbourne must make the finals next year with the amount of priority picks and nursing they have had from the AFL over the last 10 yrs. If they don't then they will get the next 20 or 30 yrs of priority picks to compensate their total lack of recruiting knowledge.

Dreamer, Melbourne must make the finals next year with the amount of priority picks and nursing they have had from the AFL over the last 10 yrs. If they don't then they will get the next 20 or 30 yrs of priority picks to compensate their total lack of recruiting knowledge.
Agree Melbourne will finish above the saints in 15 they have to, as they have had the most concessions and advantages to try and win a game in 10 years of any team. If Melbourne don't win the grand final next year after 15 yrs of help then dump them from the comp. The AFL can't keep proping them up o name alone.

How does one get hold of The Chosen Few?

I'm a member of a website called aussierule.es which has most games and shows

available for download.

I've seen it around other sites but not sure if the torrents are any good.

• Like 1

How does one get hold of The Chosen Few?

I'm a member of a website called aussierule.es which has most games and shows

available for download.

I've seen it around other sites but not sure if the torrents are any good.

It was difficult to get.

Piratebay has dissapeared. kickass had a file of it

Matthew Pavlich says Fremantle’s pre-season focus has been ensuring that every minute players spend at the club is utilised wisely.

Senior coach Ross Lyon indicated on Doig Medal night last year that the team should expect changes to the summer program.

Pavlich, who is entering his 16th year in the AFL, said the pre-season had been everything Lyon had advertised.

“After so long in the game now, they are all pretty tough and they all have varying challenging elements,” he said.

“But certainly we’ve upped the ante and we’ve made sure that not only on the field we’re training hard, but off the field we’re studying our game plan trying to improve that and ensure that by the time round one starts, and that’s not that far away now, we’re ready to go.”

The Freo captain said efficiency was the key theme of the pre-season.

“Making sure that when we are here, we’re operating in a really efficient manner and doing the work in a vein that’s extremely high intensity,” Pavlich said.

“Efficient in terms of us using our time effectively whilst we’re at the football club to improve not only our body shapes and our fitness abilities but our learning and our growth in that side of the game plan.

“The training has been football focussed. A lot of short, sharp effort and trying to replicate what we do in a game.”

Pavlich is Fremantle’s greatest ever player and among the best in the AFL in the past 20 years.

Despite being in the game for so long and playing at such a high level, he said there was always room to improve going into what possibly could be his final year in the league.

“Any person in this elite environment, if they’re not looking to continue to improve or at least gain some extra advantage, then there’s no point being in this environment,” Pavlich said.

“I’m always trying to get that little bit better in every aspect of what I do, particularly in the way I prepare and be as absolutely meticulous as I can.”

The skipper said his duty also included imparting his knowledge on the next wave of key forwards at Freo.

“A part of my role now is assisting Matt Taberner, Michael Apeness and Chris Mayne, and by virtue of that improving Michael Walters, Hayden Ballantyne, Hayden Crozier, our forward line group,” he said.

“I want to work really closely with them and I have been doing so.”

As for his own condition, Pavlich said he was “not going too badly”.

“I was able to do a fair bit of work in the off-season and maintain a level of fitness as well as work on a few of my body’s issues in terms of where I’m at with my age,” he said.

“I’m really, really pleased where I’m at at the moment and I’m training quite well.”

• Like 2

Well, he was a SYdney player but i had no clue, so i looked him up. PLayed 17 games from 1986-88

Former AFL player Tony Smith bailed

A FORMER AFL player has been granted bail after being charged over an elaborate kidnapping plot which allegedly also involved a media advisor to Clive Palmer and a former detective.

FORMER Sydney Swans player Tony Smith was granted bail in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday after pledging a $250,000 surety.

Under bail conditions Smith, who lives in Bali, is allowed to return to Indonesia but must advise the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions of all overseas travel.

Smith, along with media adviser Andrew Crook and former detective Mick Featherstone, is accused of trying to persuade a National Australia Bank executive to admit to committing perjury during a Supreme Court civil lawsuit.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/breaking-news/former-afl-player-tony-smith-bailed/story-fnjbnvyk-1227175900366

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

fremantle utility Tendai Mzungu believes the club’s players have returned to pre-season training in ‘really good shape’ after the Christmas and New Year break.

Friday morning was the first full training session of 2015 after the players were tested earlier in the week with a 3km time trial at McGillvray Oval.

Mzungu won the middle-distance run, edging out Matt de Boer and rookie Jacob Ballard.

“We generally do one (time trial) before the break and one when we get back to see how we’re progressing and once again there was a lot of guys hitting PB’s and putting their hand up,” Mzungu said.

“It’s always pretty tough at this time of year but the boys have come back in really good shape.”

A welcome return to the group was 2014 Doig Medal winner Nat Fyfe, who has overcome his shoulder injury and took part in today’s session.

“It’s really good to see Nat (out there), he’s had an interrupted pre-season but I think he’s flying now and looks in really good nick and training really well,” Mzungu said.

Freo fans will also be buoyed by the evergreen duo of captain Matthew Pavlich and Luke McPharlin, who again trained strongly.

Mzungu believes the experienced leaders continue to push the playing group to new heights.

“Both of them are immaculate with how they prepare, they’re here for a reason,” he said.

“They are really keen to drive the group and get success out of us so it’s great to see them driving the bus once again and we all follow.”

The return to full training has Mzungu excited as the season creeps closer.

“Once you hit the New Year the juices start to flow and you look forward to getting out there and footy is not too far away,” he said.

“We’ll really ramp up and try to bring in some more game plan and stuff like that over the next few weeks.

“There is a really healthy competition for spots, some of the young guys have progressed really quickly and are starting to knock down the door.

“The reality is we weren’t good enough the last couple of years and we want to improve.”

• Like 2

Just a heads up lads.. Wiziwig's done and dusted... But all seems not lost with GetYourFixtures stepping up and taking over

"Today is a sad day for all fans of live sports streaming, as we at Wiziwig have to announce that we're forced to close our website, at least for now. This due to new laws in Spain which will get into force starting tomorrow, the 1st January 2015. Failing to comply with the new reform puts us at risks of fines being as high as € 600.000,- and also losing our domain, hosting and other necessary stuff to operate wiziwig."

I'm test driving GetYourFixtures now to see if it is just as effective wink.png

EDIT: No it's all but useless...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 2

Just a heads up lads.. Wiziwig's done and dusted... But all seems not lost with GetYourFixtures stepping up and taking over

"Today is a sad day for all fans of live sports streaming, as we at Wiziwig have to announce that we're forced to close our website, at least for now. This due to new laws in Spain which will get into force starting tomorrow, the 1st January 2015. Failing to comply with the new reform puts us at risks of fines being as high as € 600.000,- and also losing our domain, hosting and other necessary stuff to operate wiziwig."

I'm test driving GetYourFixtures now to see if it is just as effective wink.png

EDIT: No it's all but useless...

These are a couple of backups i had last year GS.

• Like 2

post-140056-0-82966000-1421219374_thumb.

Michael Barlow says he’s fully recovered from the foot injury that kept him in the rehabilitation group after the 2014 season.

The prolific midfielder was held out of training with the main group when the pre-season began back in late November.

But Barlow rejoined his teammates on the track just after Christmas and said he was training strongly.

“I’m cherry ripe now and moving forward,” he said.

“I’m doing as much as anyone else and am not being held back at all. No issues from here on in.”

The club has begun the New Year by ramping up its preparations for the 2015 season.

Barlow said all was going according to plan.

“We haven’t missed a beat after Christmas,” he said.

“We’re in a high–end training block at the moment and the team is really embracing that and taking it all on board and looking to improve every session.”

Also pleasing for Barlow and Freo was the small size of the club’s rehab group, which includes star defender Michael Johnson.

Johnson missed the end of the 2014 season with a back injury that subsequently required surgery in the off-season.

“He was the most significant off-season rehab program,” Barlow said.

“Michael hasn’t had any setbacks. He’s tracking at a nice steady pace back into the main group and he shouldn’t be too far away now.

“I know he’s doing some solid conditioning work on his legs now.

“Our rehab group at the moment is really, really small, I think there’s only four or five guys in there with a few looking to get back over the next fortnight.”

Among the other pre-season highlights for Barlow around club headquarters was the continued evolution of superstar midfielder Nat Fyfe.

Barlow said the reigning back-to-back club champion was already a leader on the playing field, but he added Fyfe’s off-field qualities have been emerging.

“He’s been a massive team driver for us, but his growth and his acknowledgement of his leadership around the younger players is really noticeable,” Barlow said.

“It’s good to see him going really well.”

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 2