Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Free footy on your phone - with a 'greedy' catch.

The AFL has been accused of trashing its own brand by striking a deal with gaming giant Tabcorp that involves live-streaming of games in return for betting.

Anti-gambling campaigner Tim Costello says he's disturbed by the reported deal, which he fears will lure children into gambling.

Under the new arrangement, footy fans can watch live games on their mobile phones for free - but only if they place at least $100 worth of bets over 30 days.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-breakfast-blog/free-footy-on-your-phone--with-a-greedy-catch/20140709-3bm42.html

Hmmm... Not sure how it's going to lure kids into gambling... Money well spent in my book, certainly beats the shit that kids of today spend their money on (stupid <deleted> game apps like Cookie Run or Jewel Mania or one of the plethora of <deleted> game apps currently available) for their phones, who knows they may even pick a few roughies :P

That being said $100 in 30 days? Not really incentivised enough, can access Foxtel on the Go for a lot less IIRC, the AFL app is also around the same price and no gambling involved. Nannies...

• Like 1

What do u think of St Kilda's first pick?

Saints need a key forward, all we have at the moment is Nick and he is coming to the end of his career probably 1 more season. If Buddy or tippet go down then the swans will be looking for a replacement and they normally do their shopping at St Kildabiggrin.png

• Like 1

What do u think of St Kilda's first pick?

Saints need a key forward, all we have at the moment is Nick and he is coming to the end of his career probably 1 more season. If Buddy or tippet go down then the swans will be looking for a replacement and they normally do their shopping at St Kildabiggrin.png

Hawthorn has been more friendly recently. Buddy, Mcglynn, Kennedy

• Like 2

'Inconclusive': Police investigate Sam Newman over Dane Swan interview.

RUMOUR CONFIRMED: Police have investigated Sam Newman's driving in a Footy Show interview with Collingwood star Dane Swan.

Following a Rumour File entry from 'Lamborghini Larrikin' on 3AW Breakfast this morning, police confirmed they had examined "driver behaviour footage" televised last month after receiving complaints from the public.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-breakfast-blog/inconclusive-police-investigate-sam-newman-over-dane-swan-interview/20140710-3bntf.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DBbYuoCTLM&feature=player_detailpage

The AFL must ensure Brownlow Medal night is not hijacked by “Steve Bradbury” winner.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/the-afl-must-ensure-brownlow-medal-night-is-not-hijacked-by-steve-bradbury-winner/story-e6frg1xu-1226983380514

An article on a suspended player (Fyfe) possibly polling most votes and being ineligible.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think that you should be eligible to win it if suspended.

Take away the "fairest" part and just have the best player.

There is hardly any thuggery left in footy now anyway.

I don't like the suggestion that the umpires shouldn't be able to vote for ineligible

players.

Edited by Will27

IMHO, no need to tweek the Brownlow rules, they are what they are and this wouldn't come up had Gary Ablett not been ruled out for the rest of the season. Still plenty of other players going around that are eligible for it and will poll high enough votes to justify them winning.

In all fairness, Ablett should've been ruled ineligible since he moved to the Gold Coast :P

It wouldn't be the first time that an ineligible player polled the most votes, would it?

In other news, Heath Shaw suffered bleeding on the brain after he tried to have a mid game snooze on Cindarella's knee. The good news? It was discovered that he does indeed have a brain :P

• Like 1

The AFL must ensure Brownlow Medal night is not hijacked by “Steve Bradbury” winner.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/the-afl-must-ensure-brownlow-medal-night-is-not-hijacked-by-steve-bradbury-winner/story-e6frg1xu-1226983380514

An article on a suspended player (Fyfe) possibly polling most votes and being ineligible.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think that you should be eligible to win it if suspended.

Take away the "fairest" part and just have the best player.

There is hardly any thuggery left in footy now anyway.

I don't like the suggestion that the umpires shouldn't be able to vote for ineligible

players.

Well, we all know Umpires are totally impartial and will always vote for the Fairest and Best player on ground. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It is a very good chance Fyfe could finish 1st in the count...and of course he is ineligible.

The rules have always been if you get suspended...then you are ineligible. One problem here is that the rules governing suspension have changed over time, especially recently, and now the players have the MRP to contend with. So it seems to me that players have a greater chance of being reported than they did in the past.

Add to that, if a player is not suspended BUT has 100 final demerit points in a season they become ineligible.

Add to that, there is less flexibility given for contact to the head, taking the knees out, a bit of fisticuffs etcetera and players have more chance of suspension?

The Brownlow is seen in the Public Eye as the games pinnacle for player recognition. The AFL really needs to tweak the rules to reflect this

• Like 2

IMHO, no need to tweek the Brownlow rules, they are what they are and this wouldn't come up had Gary Ablett not been ruled out for the rest of the season. Still plenty of other players going around that are eligible for it and will poll high enough votes to justify them winning.

In all fairness, Ablett should've been ruled ineligible since he moved to the Gold Coast tongue.png

It wouldn't be the first time that an ineligible player polled the most votes, would it?

In other news, Heath Shaw suffered bleeding on the brain after he tried to have a mid game snooze on Cindarella's knee. The good news? It was discovered that he does indeed have a brain tongue.png

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about this one then Mr Smith.

I mean the Brownlow, not Heath Shawbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Towers most likely will most likely be the sub.

Looks that way, but given Sydney's interchange bench featuring a host of kids, it's anyone's guess who's going to wear the Green Vest ;)

B. Jack, Lloyd and Rohan making up the bench along with Towers.

Swans' list best in his time, says Malthouse

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-10/swans-top-micks-list

The grumpy one comments on Sydney's list.

I think it's the depth that is more impressive than the actual quality.

There's hardly any drop off when replacement players come in.

There is some decent quality as well, some goodies coming through.

I've been saying it for a while, SYdney will have to offload some decent payers in the next couple of years, mainly mid fielders, but also most likely a forward. Another reason I see Reid moving down the back

Towers most likely will most likely be the sub.

Looks that way, but given Sydney's interchange bench featuring a host of kids, it's anyone's guess who's going to wear the Green Vest wink.png

B. Jack, Lloyd and Rohan making up the bench along with Towers.

Wouldn't think there was any chance of Lloyd wearing the vest.

In my view, If Rohan was the sub, I don't know why he would be picked. He has struggled since his return and he needs a solid game

I've been saying it for a while, SYdney will have to offload some decent payers in the next couple of years, mainly mid fielders, but also most likely a forward. Another reason I see Reid moving down the back

Ok BookMan, let's do a deal.

WCE have 2 promising ruckmen in Scott Lycett and Callum Sinclair.

Would you trade one of your excess midfielders for one of them?

We desperately need midfielders and Sydney to me seem a bit shallow

in the ruck department.

I'll get my people to speak to your peoplebiggrin.png

• Like 2

Ok BookMan, let's do a deal.

WCE have 2 promising ruckmen in Scott Lycett and Callum Sinclair.

Would you trade one of your excess midfielders for one of them?

We desperately need midfielders and Sydney to me seem a bit shallow

in the ruck department.

I'll get my people to speak to your peoplebiggrin.png

Seems fair to me. We all know what the worth of a ruckman is.

Should we settle on 3 of your ruckmen for 1 of our midfielders? tongue.png

• Like 1

I worry about GC now with Ablett, McKenzie and Dixon all going

down on the weekend.

Look at these fitty fitty games this weekend: Ade/Hawks, WB/GC,

Brissie/WCE. Rich/Port and Ess/Collw00t.gif

BTW, I could've taken the easy way out and stuck with the Swans,

but no, I wanted to give you guys behind me a glimmer of hope.

It's just what I do. I'm a man of the peoplebiggrin.png

Here we are for the first game of the week... Adelaide v Hawthorn. Bit of a tipsters pickle this one. Hawthorn coming off a loss to North and Adelaide coming off a HUGE win against easy beats GWS.

Hawks have a decimated back line through injury, but if they show the form they did against Gold Coast two weeks back they should be unbeatable.

This game should split the tipsters.

Saturday is no easier; Western Bulldogs V Gold Coast is a tight game. Gold Coast has Ablett out, a HUGE loss and the Bulldogs have been inconsistent throughout the season, their lack of talls in defence a problem for them.

North Melbourne V St Kilda. North cannot be trusted to win these games, as it has shown. St Kilda could certainly land a knock out here. Be interesting if the Saints fans show faith in their team here.

Brissie V West Coast. Home game for the Lions and would have to be considered a good chance to win this one. Should be close. West Coast's midfield is running around using zimmer frames and should pose little challenge for the lions

Sydney v Carlton. Could we see an upset here? Sydney is looking cocky, pressure of going for a twelfth straight club record equalizing win on their minds. Tippet out injured again, Buddy can expect to be wrestled out of the contest. Could be an upset in the making

• Like 1

down on the weekend.

Here we are for the first game of the week... Adelaide v Hawthorn. Bit of a tipsters pickle this one. Hawthorn coming off a loss to North and Adelaide coming off a HUGE win against easy beats GWS.

Hawks have a decimated back line through injury, but if they show the form they did against Gold Coast two weeks back they should be unbeatable.

Saturday is no easier; Western Bulldogs V Gold Coast is a tight game. Gold Coast has Ablett out, a HUGE loss and the Bulldogs have been inconsistent throughout the season, their lack of talls in defence a problem for them.

North Melbourne V St Kilda. North cannot be trusted to win these games, as it has shown. St Kilda could certainly land a knock out here. Be interesting if the Saints fans show faith in their team here.

Brissie V West Coast. Home game for the Lions and would have to be considered a good chance to win this one. Should be close. West Coast's midfield is running around using zimmer frames and should pose little challenge for the lions

Sydney v Carlton. Could we see an upset here? Sydney is looking cocky, pressure of going for a twelfth straight club record equalizing win on their minds. Tippet out injured again, Buddy can expect to be wrestled out of the contest. Could be an upset in the making

Yep

Agree with the Hawks/Ade assessment, a genuine 50/50.

Still deciding.

Gold Coast also lost McKenzie who gives them some run.

Just read that Dogs skipper Ryan Griffen now in doubt.

IMO, the St's are no chance....they're dreadful at the minute.

Brissy and WC a real close one. Five changes for WC and fair to

say some players are playing for their career's.

I don't think Carlton are a chance in Sydney.

I think Richmond are a big chance against Port who are struggling a bit.

The Coll/Ess games are always hard ones to pick as well.

Good luck fella's.

• Like 1

down on the weekend.

Yep

Still deciding.

Good luck fella's.

Wowee this week's a doozie innit fellas!

Crows v Hawks in the battle of the birds... Eddie Betts celebrating 200 games that's all I'm saying on that one...

Dees v Cats... Should be fairly one way traffic

'Roos v Saints... One of those games where you go "North, will shit it in!", the way North have been playing this year - insipid at worst, inconsistant at best - they're more likely to shit the bed than shit it in this week. Lenny Hayes and Sam Fisher coming in could be the catalyst the Saints need. 3% of the tipping world says the Saints will get up. The Saints would also want to get one over Dal Santo, enough of an incentive?

Dogs v Suns.. Could go either way, Suns no longer have their favourite Sun (or is that Son?) but looking at last weeks effort to run over the top of Collingwood with out Ablett speaks fairly loudly that they have the depth of talent to get the job done.

Lions v Eagles.. Lots of outs for the Eagles this week, but Rockliff being suspended could be the deciding factor for the Lions.

Swans v Blues... Fairly rudimentary this game, Swans have too much pace, Tippett being sidelined will probably cost them a bit of a percentage boost. Butterfingers to kick a handful.

Tiges v Power... I've been saying it all season that Port will choke, they haven't, but they're certainly on thin ice at the moment. They lose this game, which again should be (on paper and performance) fairly pedestrian and you they can pretty much kiss the Top 4 goodbye.

Bombers v Pies... I'd love to say "Bombers are shoe in for this one" just to jam it square up Eddie, but can't see the Bomber's getting up in this one.

Dockers v Giants... I like the - current - tipping percentage that shows who's tipped what, there's 1% of the tipsters out there that believe the Giants will get up for their 2nd biggest upset of the year.

down on the weekend.

Yep

Still deciding.

Good luck fella's.

Crows v Hawks in the battle of the birds... Eddie Betts celebrating 200 games that's all I'm saying on that one...

'Roos v Saints... One of those games where you go "North, will shit it in!", the way North have been playing this year - insipid at worst, inconsistant at best - they're more likely to shit the bed than shit it in this week. Lenny Hayes and Sam Fisher coming in could be the catalyst the Saints need. 3% of the tipping world says the Saints will get up. The Saints would also want to get one over Dal Santo, enough of an incentive?

Dogs v Suns.. Could go either way, Suns no longer have their favourite Sun (or is that Son?) but looking at last weeks effort to run over the top of Collingwood with out Ablett speaks fairly loudly that they have the depth of talent to get the job done.

Lions v Eagles.. Lots of outs for the Eagles this week, but Rockliff being suspended could be the deciding factor for the Lions.

Swans v Blues... Fairly rudimentary this game, Swans have too much pace, Tippett being sidelined will probably cost them a bit of a percentage boost. Butterfingers to kick a handful.

Tiges v Power... I've been saying it all season that Port will choke, they haven't, but they're certainly on thin ice at the moment. They lose this game, which again should be (on paper and performance) fairly pedestrian and you they can pretty much kiss the Top 4 goodbye.

Bombers v Pies... I'd love to say "Bombers are shoe in for this one" just to jam it square up Eddie, but can't see the Bomber's getting up in this one.

Dockers v Giants... I like the - current - tipping percentage that shows who's tipped what, there's 1% of the tipsters out there that believe the Giants will get up for their 2nd biggest upset of the year.

Fox Footy commentator Anthony Hudson revealed the incredible compliment Adelaide star Patrick Dangerfield has given Matthew Pavlich.

Hudson was on AFL 360 with host Gerard Whateley discussing the Fremantle captain’s contract extension.

Right at the end of the segment, ‘Huddo’ told viewers about an upcoming interview with Dangerfield where the Crows’ gun was asked to take the best parts of AFL players to construct the perfect footballer.

Hudson said Dangerfield’s response was:

“They’ve already made it, and it’s Matthew Pavlich.”

It will be interesting to see how the big Pavlova is rated when

he finally finishes.

A newspaper did a comparison last year (I think) with Hird, Goodes,

Reiwoldt etc.

I know stats can you tell you anything you want them to, but he

was leading the pack for most of them.

He also played in some dreadful sides in the early days which kind

of forced him to go back and in the midfield.

I think it's fair to say that if he was based in Melbourne, he would've

received even more accolades.

Personally, I think he's a good a player as I've seen this last 10 years.

• Like 1

I don't know why most tipsters seem to red hot on Collingwood for this one.

Last week Essendon beat Port and Collingwood lost to the GC.

I know Goddard is a big out and the Pies have a few back, but I find this one

real hard to pick.

• Like 1