Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

a

Maybe somebody asked Ross how many games have St Kilda won this yearlaugh.png

Maybe he was saying let the saints pick any 4 they want from our squad for their number 1 pick.

7mate today featured highlights from three St kilda games, 2010 I think.

They were a class team that year, full of stars and exciting to watch

"7mate today featured highlights from three St kilda games, 2010 I think.

They were a class team that year, full of stars and exciting to watch"

Yep, they were a class act during those years and were a bit unlucky not

to win a flag.

Ross Lyon sure knows how to get the most out of his sides.

From a Nick Riewoldt interview this week with Matty Lloyd

Ross Lyon almost took you to two premierships yet the list was left in an unhealthy state, some would say. In hindsight were list decisions too short-term focused in that era?

No, I really reject that. We had an opportunity to win a premiership and if you don’t go as hard as you possibly can, I think you’d be sitting here saying to me, ‘did we do everything possible?'. The thing about that period was we had such a settled side, and we were pretty lucky with injury that we were able to play the same 26 or so players every week and that put us in a really strong position to win a premiership. I think it was incumbent on Ross and the people at the football club in charge to make sure we maximised that opportunity. I’ve got no regrets and I don’t think anyone should, because we got pretty close.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nick-riewoldt-the-saint-the-winner-20140808-101yq3.html#ixzz39yvWMpWI

• Like 1

"7mate today featured highlights from three St kilda games, 2010 I think.

They were a class team that year, full of stars and exciting to watch"

Yep, they were a class act during those years and were a bit unlucky not

to win a flag.

Ross Lyon sure knows how to get the most out of his sides.

From a Nick Riewoldt interview this week with Matty Lloyd

Ross Lyon almost took you to two premierships yet the list was left in an unhealthy state, some would say. In hindsight were list decisions too short-term focused in that era?

No, I really reject that. We had an opportunity to win a premiership and if you don’t go as hard as you possibly can, I think you’d be sitting here saying to me, ‘did we do everything possible?'. The thing about that period was we had such a settled side, and we were pretty lucky with injury that we were able to play the same 26 or so players every week and that put us in a really strong position to win a premiership. I think it was incumbent on Ross and the people at the football club in charge to make sure we maximised that opportunity. I’ve got no regrets and I don’t think anyone should, because we got pretty close.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nick-riewoldt-the-saint-the-winner-20140808-101yq3.html#ixzz39yvWMpWI

Zach the hack Dawson single handed lost us the grand final in 2009. The guy was a total clutz balls bouncing off his head, fumbled continuously and looked like a total retard. Max Hudghton our premier backman was dropped for Ross Lyons little pet the dud Zack the Hack. Saints would have won that G/F if the idiot clown Dawson wasn't playing he single handedly gave them 5 goals in front of goal because he is an idiot player. Ross Lyon threw that Grand Final by dropping a well built heavy set experienced all Australian backman for a young skinny kid without experience.

Results for round 20 are in. There were 4 with 8/9. They were Will27, Bookman, Seajae and Chooka. The winner with the best margin was BOOKMAN. Well done.

The overall leader is again Will27 on 118. Also on 118 is Gazman followed by Farmerjo.

KhunWill, handsome man with good heart.

It is good to see you back in the equal shared threeway OUTRIGHT 1st place position on the tipping ladder!

Just be calm and don't over think your tips. There are only 4 or 5 close games this week to worry about.

Although I could see the Bulldogs springing a surprise on North Melbourne and also I think Freo is a good chance against Hawthorn. Then there is Carlton. In hot form, no chance of a top 8 and playing a Geelong who are under pressure to stay top 3.

• Like 2

Results for round 20 are in. There were 4 with 8/9. They were Will27, Bookman, Seajae and Chooka. The winner with the best margin was BOOKMAN. Well done.

The overall leader is again Will27 on 118. Also on 118 is Gazman followed by Farmerjo.

Oh Bookman! Your first for the year laugh.png

damn you Bookman, I have to finnish above you. Tell Chimpie to stay away from the windows as it may be hazardous to his healthbiggrin.png

• Like 1

damn you Bookman, I have to finnish above you. Tell Chimpie to stay away from the windows as it may be hazardous to his healthbiggrin.png

No need to sniper chimpie mate.. One of your stale cheezels from the back of the couch should do the trick chooka ;)

• Like 1

No need to sniper chimpie mate.. One of your stale cheezels from the back of the couch should do the trick chooka ;)
Chimpy ate half the Black and Gold party sausage rolls watching Sydney last night and has been sleeping all day on the couch complaining of stomach ache
  • Like 1

Nice work BookMan, well overdue.

Although some might say that it's a bit hard to pick the margin

when you didn't even pick the winner. But I wouldn't wink.png

• Like 1

It is good to see you back in the equal shared threeway OUTRIGHT 1st place position on the tipping ladder!

Just be calm and don't over think your tips. There are only 4 or 5 close games this week to worry about.

Although I could see the Bulldogs springing a surprise on North Melbourne and also I think Freo is a good chance against Hawthorn. Then there is Carlton. In hot form, no chance of a top 8 and playing a Geelong who are under pressure to stay top 3.

Thanks for that BookMan.

Actually took advice from ripstanely and used the dartboard.

Again, some more fitty fitty games this week.

• Like 2

Thanks for that BookMan.

I think any of the top 8 Tipsters still have a chance of winning the Tipping comp this year.

118 points is currently 1st

114 points is 8th place.

Last week Gazman gave up his lead. Another victim of the pressure at the top.

• Like 1

Thanks for that BookMan.

I think any of the top 8 Tipsters still have a chance of winning the Tipping comp this year.

114 points is 8th place.

Nice work BookMan.

The tipping in our little comp is nothing short of brilliant methinks.

When you consider that the leading tipster for The Age has 113 and

if you take away the leader from the Herald Sun who has 120, second place

has 112.

Most of these pundits do this for a crust.

I reckon we're punching way above our weight.

Great work fella'sclap2.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for that BookMan.

114 points is 8th place.

Another one?

Who was the other one?

Surely you don't mean that guy who on top for

about 3 months?

His name escapes me at the minutebiggrin.png

• Like 2

Another one?

Who was the other one?

Surely you don't mean that guy who on top for

about 3 months?

His name escapes me at the minutebiggrin.png

You deserved your place at the top of the tipping table KhunWill. A handsome man with a good heart like yours is very lucky. That is what made your fall from the top with a seemingly insurmountable lead all the more spectacular and surprising.

Since then we have seen Xangsamhua, Farmerjo and now Gazman fall to the pressure. Seajae succumbed early in the season to the heat. Was Ripstanley a leader for a week?

Just 3 rounds to go and we are likely to see some massive upsets.

May the boldest and wisest tipster win!

• Like 1

Roughie banned for a week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-11/mrp-full-statement-round-20

A huge blow for the Hawks before their clash with Fremantle with Roughead

being suspended for a trip. The Hawks will already be missing Gunston.

I thought Trav Varcoe was lucky not to getting pinged for 2 jumper punches to Subans chin.

Insufficient force againrolleyes.gif

Edit: Also thought Stevie J was a tad lucky not to get sighted for being a moron

with a slight kick to the head.

Edited by Will27

Roughie banned for a week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-11/mrp-full-statement-round-20

A huge blow for the Hawks before their clash with Fremantle with Roughead

being suspended for a trip. The Hawks will already be missing Gunston.

I thought Trav Varcoe was lucky not to getting pinged for 2 jumper punches to Subans chin.

Insufficient force againrolleyes.gif

Edit: Also thought Stevie J was a tad lucky not to get sighted for being a moron

with a slight kick to the head.

Freo are going to have a real chance in that game

You Sydney boys,

Do you think the Swans would be interested in a swap of Scott Lycett

for Mitchell?

I think you guys are a bit skinny in the ruck department and WC desperately

need midfielders.

What do you think?

Ryan O keefe not enough for you guys? tongue.png

I'd like to see Sydney keep Mitchell, of course, but....

If he has to go a ruckman or a good defensive player might be the go.

I don't know a lot about lycett.

It seems crazy that Sydney can afford to even consider offloading Mitchell.

Yeah you better go back to Simpson with a better plan khun Will27 tongue.png

We've got some prospects in the seconds that seem to be developing nicely wink.png Derickx was just a stop gap solution whilst Cindarella and Butterfingers were injured.

I saw that Lycett kicked 4 goals on the weekend and Lycett isn't re-signed yet

• Like 2

You Sydney boys,

Do you think the Swans would be interested in a swap of Scott Lycett

for Mitchell?

I think you guys are a bit skinny in the ruck department and WC desperately

need midfielders.

What do you think?

Ryan O keefe not enough for you guys? tongue.png

I'd like to see Sydney keep Mitchell, of course, but....

If he has to go a ruckman or a good defensive player might be the go.

I don't know a lot about lycett.

It seems crazy that Sydney can afford to even consider offloading Mitchell.

Yeah you better go back to Simpson with a better plan khun Will27 tongue.png

We've got some prospects in the seconds that seem to be developing nicely wink.png Derickx was just a stop gap solution whilst Cindarella and Butterfingers were injured.

I saw that Lycett kicked 4 goals on the weekend and Lycett isn't re-signed yet

I'd still swap him for Mitchell.

We have another ruckman called Callum Sinclair who looks ok.

We need midfielders badly.

• Like 1

The number 24 on Max Duffy’s back carried some deep motivation for the AFL debutant at Simonds Stadium on Saturday night.

It was on the 24th day of January in 2011 when one of his best mates, 17-year-old Stephen Rigg, passed away in his father Phil’s arms at Royal Perth Hospital.

Eight days earlier the budding Perth Cricket Club star had suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed on the pitch at Fletcher Park while batting.

Duffy received number 24 after Freo drafted him in 2012 which signified the day Stephen had passed. He keeps a memorial card from Stephen’s funeral in his locker.

The 21-year-old forward also donated half of Saturday’s match payment to HeartKids Western Australia, a charity dedicated to providing support, encouragement and hope to families of children with heart disease.

An emotional Duffy was visibly moved when asked about his friend after the game in Geelong.

When he collected himself, he couldn’t get a lot out, but it was clear what Stephen meant to him.

“I’m going to donate half my match payment to HeartKids WA on behalf of Stephen,” Duffy said.

“I’m proud, proud to have done it. It’s been a long build but I'm proud to have played and to have done it for him is very good.”

Phil Rigg made the long trip to Geelong to watch his son’s mate realise a dream.

After family, he was the second person Duffy called last week to reveal the news of his debut.

“He rang me in my office on Thursday, and that’s when I became a Dockers’ fan,” Rigg said.

“He could have played it at Subiaco but chose Geelong, so we travelled across the other side of Australia, but I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

“Max and Stephen have been great mates all the way through, and Max kept on coming into hospital seeing him, wishing him well and trying to get him better, but he just couldn’t.”

Duffy kicked two goals after coming on as the substitute in the third quarter, which Rigg said would have left Stephen incredibly proud.

“I know my son was looking down on him tonight, hence I think Max played pretty well,” he said.

Rigg said his family has been blown away by Max wearing the number 24 and the gesture to donate half of his match payment.

“For a young man of Max’s age, it is just a phenomenal thing to do and I’m so very thankful for it,” he said.

“It really does give you faith in the young community coming through. Max is a quality bloke, always has been, always will be.

“It just means everything to us because every day is a struggle with us to get through for my wife and my other son Benjamin, and for this to happen is just fantastic.”

• Like 2

Retrogram: 10 players who deserved to win a Brownlow Medal

THERE’S every chance Fremantle midfielder Nathan Fyfe will this year join Chris Grant and Corey McKernan as polling the most votes but not saluting on Brownlow night.

If so, he would be arguably the stiffest of the trio, given he was ousted for two matches for what seemed a fair bump that ended up in an accidental clash of heads.

But Australian football history is littered with players who seem unlucky not to have been awarded the Chas Brownlow Trophy. Two thirds of the players named in the AFL’s Team of the Century back in 1996 did not win football’s highest individual honour.

Of current players, you could argue that Geelong skipper Joel Selwood heads the list of those who deserve to win the medal. His average of 0.725 Brownlow votes per game ranks him in the top 10 of all time among footballers to have played at least 50 home-and-away games. All of the others have a Brownlow against their name.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/retrogram-10-players-who-deserved-to-win-a-brownlow-medal/story-fni5f22n-1227022094358

• Like 2

Retrogram: 10 players who deserved to win a Brownlow Medal

THERE’S every chance Fremantle midfielder Nathan Fyfe will this year join Chris Grant and Corey McKernan as polling the most votes but not saluting on Brownlow night.

If so, he would be arguably the stiffest of the trio, given he was ousted for two matches for what seemed a fair bump that ended up in an accidental clash of heads.

But Australian football history is littered with players who seem unlucky not to have been awarded the Chas Brownlow Trophy. Two thirds of the players named in the AFL’s Team of the Century back in 1996 did not win football’s highest individual honour.

Of current players, you could argue that Geelong skipper Joel Selwood heads the list of those who deserve to win the medal. His average of 0.725 Brownlow votes per game ranks him in the top 10 of all time among footballers to have played at least 50 home-and-away games. All of the others have a Brownlow against their name.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/retrogram-10-players-who-deserved-to-win-a-brownlow-medal/story-fni5f22n-1227022094358

IMO, Leigh Matthews is easily the best player who should've won a Brownlow but didn't.

Nearly a 1000 goals, 6 times leading goal kicker and 8 F&B's is a pretty good resume

in anyone's language I reckon.

• Like 2

Guys, regarding the games this week

The couch was left in a mess last week. I know some of you had a frustrating week in the Tipping, but the GF really hates vacuuming up the Cheezels! Chimpy is also too lazy to clean up the mess before he sits on the couch, so everything gets squashed.

GS, you left your apples behind again

10013957_10152389009477639_7470876051525

Seems I'm the healthiest of you lot then :P

Christ Khun Will27, you really should take out your empties instead of trying to build Magners pyramids :P

• Like 2