Traveling by train to Vientiane

I came back from VTE on Bangkok Air on November 12th. It cost $120

YQ (fuel surcharge) is a killer....

Flight: PG943
Depart: Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi), Thailand (BKK)
departure:9:45
Fare Basis: T3NTH
Arrive: Vientiane, Laos (VTE)
arrival:Jun/11:00
Flight: PG944
Depart: Vientiane, Laos (VTE)
departure: 11:40
Fare Basis: T3NTH
Arrive: Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi), Thailand (BKK)
arrival: 12:55
Price Summary:
Fare hide 5650 THB (2,825 each way)
5650 THB Adult
Taxes hide 3045 THB
2020 THB Airline Fuel Fee (YQ)
700 THB Passenger Service Charge Thailand (TS)
325 THB Airport Passenger Service Charge Lao Peoples Democratic Republic (LA)
TOTAL: 8,695 THB (round-trip)
Edited by lomatopo

Take some warm clothes its been down at 11c this past week or so in the early morning....Loas visa is 1560 bht or $35 US...there is a money exchange next to where you hand in your passport if you have thai baht it will be 1340 baht exchange for $ 40 US.......took me 2 hours to get my Loas visa last week just got to the counter 1 min behind a bus full of polish people...........so all the poles are not in the UK.......

I would recommend spending a nighg or two in Nong Khai (mutmee guest house). It is a fun riverside town plenty of nice expats and lots of travelers go to/from Laos. I go over frequently and it is an easy process, really. You have most of the information allready so no sweat. Tuktuk from train station to the bridge less than 5 minutes 30-50 baht (depends how busy they are). No lack of tuktuks so no worry. Stamp out of Thailand (look for booth that reads passports in english). Buy a ticket for the bus across bridge 15-20 baht depending on time of day and day of the week. Once across the Laos visa on arrival area looks like three glass sliding windows marked 1,2 and very nearby 3. Tap on glass one or two and ask for application form . Fill in as best as possible and stand in line . Cost for Americans is $30USD DO NOT PAY IN BAHT. You will get your passport back with visa at window 3. Check passport and change before leaving window!

Walk through all the gates until you reach two officials sitting at a table and 2 chairs. They will look at your passport one more time and you are now in Laos.

Barter for a ride -city bus 45 baht, shared tuktuk 100 baht, shared minivan 150 baht, private taxi 200-300 baht depending on the time of day into central vientiane (fountain square)..

Tuesday is a holiday so ivertime chsrges apply and costs will be higher, slightly. Carry a pen or two with you, have an address and phone number of a guest house or hotel in vientiane handy (just for immigration form ,they never check), and always good to have several passport photos handy. Yes they can scan your passport but sunday (yesterday) had an official demand photo (laos immigration rules state two passport photos) this was the first time in over a year somebody has asked me for photos but can happen.

• Like 1

To lomatopo,

Are you calling me a liar? On a day I walked over to the Lao Air office it was closed. I walked across the street to the agency there and got the deal. They had a banner outside the office advertising it, lounge privileges and all, one fight a day both ways. VTE to BKK was I believe at 11:40 am. I went to the agency in Vientiane I usually use and they said they could not match it.

Have you checked the rates on these specific flights?

People like you, and many more, supposed experts make this site unbearable at times. Many more than you make it informative.

To lomatopo,

Are you calling me a liar? On a day I walked over to the Lao Air office it was closed. I walked across the street to the agency there and got the deal. They had a banner outside the office advertising it, lounge privileges and all, one fight a day both ways. VTE to BKK was I believe at 11:40 am. I went to the agency in Vientiane I usually use and they said they could not match it.

Have you checked the rates on these specific flights?

People like you, and many more, supposed experts make this site unbearable at times. Many more than you make it informative.

Easy does it. Being nice is contagious.

You'll find trip reports etc from people doing visa runs in the Visa section.

Personally I think you are crazy! Or maybe enjoy that distance by train etc, I'm too old for that crap.

I love a post that questions a persons mental state and then refers to the end result of eating food.

For some reason, the following comes to mind:

Overweight

Negative

Large beer bottle

Sleeveless shirt

Unkempt

Multiple and failed relationships

Bitter

Personal inventory way overdue

Low self esteem

Educated but forgot much of it

Uncivil

Not pointing fingers mind you. Just a vision.

hey mate watch it ...i resemble most of those remarks ...

Hope you booked a non-aircon sleeper lower bunk so you can see the scenery without freezing.

Pretty sure that all the fan sleeper carriages on the Nong khai route were replaced by aircon carriages about 2 years ago. You may be able to get a 3rd class non-aircon seat but that really is torture.

The buffet car is non aircon which makes it a fun place to sit out a few hours.

From the Nong Khai station you can take an onward train to Tha Naleng across the border (25 Baht). Immigration facilities are available at both stations, saving you a usually long wait at the bridge.

From Tha Naleng you can either take a minivan or hike a few 100 meters to the main road and catch a bus into town.

Yes, I've done this and its excellent. You just get of your train, stamp out of Thailand at the small and very quite immigration point on the platform where you also buy your 20฿ or so ticket for the waiting train to Thanaleng, a 20 minute ride. There you get your Laos visa at a small, quiet immigration office and grab or share a tuk-tuk or minivan. About 300฿. Dead easy and comfortable. Love the train ride, but as has been said, book a lower bunk.