Thai-Cambodia border explosions explained as 'satellite'

webfact

Thai-Cambodia Border Explosions Explained As 'Satellite'
By Khaosod Online

cam.jpg

Makeshift bomb shelter in Bhumisrol village

BANGKOK: -- Mysterious explosions and subsequent metals raining down near the village on Thai-Cambodia border are caused by a downed satellite, officials said.

Locals in Bhumisrol village, which sits near the disputed territory around Preah Vihear Temple, were surprised earlier today by abrupt sounds of explosions.

Students, farmers, and other citizens immediately rushed to bomb shelters, many of them thinking another artillery duel between Thai and Cambodian armed forces over the border dispute have erupted once again.

"We heard 7-8 explosions while we were teaching," said Mr. Wutthinan Niyom, a teacher from Baan Bhumisrol school, “We took our students to hide in bomb shelters as we fear the clash between Thai and Cambodian armies have started.”

After the situation returned to normalcy, many villagers ventured out and collected many metal shards near the border, believed to have been caused by the explosions.

“At least 5 metal scraps were collected, and each of them is roughly 50 cm long” said Chief Executive of the Kantralak Subdistrict Administrative Organization (SAO), Mr. Chokchai Saikaew.

However, local security forces said after investigating the matter that the explosions and the metal shards came from a malfunctioned satellite which explodes on its own.

They also claimed that a similar satellite explosion occurred in 2011.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5qVTVNVEV6TlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-12-10

• Like 1

Don't know if this has anything to do with the explosions but I live around 500 metres from Surin airfield and every week I see the Thai drone take off and then return around one and half hour later. This happens every week flying over the disputed area.

This morning it left around 7 am and has not returned as yet so maybe and I only say maybe there has been a problem with the Drone plane

The Thai's have a drone! Now that is scary!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes they do have a drone. I have been here 5 years near the airfield and they take it from the army camp some 2km away to the airfield. I have seen this numerous times and I can say that it is not armed and only used for areal photographs. You cannot fail to miss it taking off and landing as it is one noisy plane.

They sit on the runway 15 minuets on high revs which I presume must be to get the grid references for take off and landing. It takes off and spirals upwards until desired height then disappears for over 1 hour

Yes they do have a drone. I have been here 5 years near the airfield and they take it from the army camp some 2km away to the airfield. I have seen this numerous times and I can say that it is not armed and only used for areal photographs. You cannot fail to miss it taking off and landing as it is one noisy plane.

They sit on the runway 15 minuets on high revs which I presume must be to get the grid references for take off and landing. It takes off and spirals upwards until desired height then disappears for over 1 hour

Can you please post a picture? I am absolutely fascinated that Thailand has a drone. So yeah I guess if

it crashed a story would have to be invented. But a satellite crashing is a pretty weak cover story.... :-)

• Like 1

Can you please post a picture? I am absolutely fascinated that Thailand has a drone. So yeah I guess if

it crashed a story would have to be invented. But a satellite crashing is a pretty weak cover story.... :-)

Suddenly those Thai ghost stories sound almost credible. smile.png

Can't find any information of any satellite coming down. They are all monitored (that's all you do with satellites is monitor them) and there is a record of these things, especially if one is going to crash back to earth. One European satellite recently came down after it run out of fuel and gravity slowly pulled back down to earth, it was all forecasted to happen but the unusual thing about this event was they were having difficulty predicting the exact time and place it would come down,,, but it is rare to see this. So, someone must own the satellite, someone must be missing one, they are not cheap pieces of equipment and yet no one is claiming anything? Doesn't sound right to me.

So, frankly as this story has been used a couple of years ago that another satellite fell it sounds like crap. The odds of this happening in the same place twice must be insurmountable.

• Like 2

Lovely, fantastic, exciting ...

Once again, Thailand educates the rest of the world

Medium Earth orbit (MEO) satellite sustain orbital altitudes of 1,200 to 35,792 kilometers (746 to 22,240 miles) above Earth's surface lasting 12 hours per orbit. Satellites in semi-synchronous orbit, used for GPS satellites, maintain a height of 26,560 kilometers (16,504 miles) above Earth's surface.

Thailand says; "WRONG"

A satellite orbits Earth when its speed is balanced by the pull of Earth's gravity. Without this balance, the satellite would fly in a straight line off into space or fall back to Earth. Satellites orbit Earth at different heights, different speeds and along different paths. The two most common types of orbit are "geostationary" and "polar."

Thailand says; "WRONG AGAIN" - satellites are placed next to Thai/Cambodian border so every nearby village members can hear any explosion.

A geostationary satellite travels from west to east over the equator. It moves in the same direction and at the same rate Earth is spinning. From Earth, a geostationary satellite looks like it is standing still since it is always above the same location.

Take a guess what "Smart" Thailand would say again!

Thailand ... who on earth gave you the permission to be so arrogant to believe the rest of the world's experts are all dumb?

Right on the border. The Thai disputed area. Remarkable satellite re-entry.

And purely coincidence, that it happened on the same day that Thaksin's "eternal friend" hears, about Thaksin's sister being forced to call an election ? whistling.gif

If it was a subtle message, who was it directed at, and why ?