Shinawatra clan is still the protest target

webfact

Shinawatra clan is still the protest target
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tens of thousands of anti-government protesters marched towards Government House from all directions yesterday as they blew whistles, shouting "Get out" and "We won't take it" - even after Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra made an early morning announcement of a House dissolution.

Some wanted a military coup to finally dislodge the administration. Others said they would be satisfied only when Yingluck and the whole Shinawatra clan leave politics for a period of time.

Only through a military coup could the Yingluck administration be ousted, said 50-year-old Somchai, family name withheld, a merchant from Bang Bon district of Bangkok, adding that Yingluck won't give up easily.

Another, retired Pol Lt-Colonel Voraphon Pob-udom from Surat Thani province, said he's unsure how things will end as the administration insists on going ahead with a general election. But he wants the whole Shinawatra clan, including the premier, to leave politics for a while.

"They don't have to leave Thailand. They're Thais after all," said Voraphon, who came to Bangkok four days ago with his wife and two children to join the protest.

Many began heading toward Government House from early morning. The BTS system was unusually crowded for that time. One well-heeled lady told a stranger - a fellow protester at the same table sharing refreshments at a hotel near Government House - that it was her first time to ride on the BTS Skytrain. The stranger, a wealthy Thai-Chinese man wearing a diamond-studded Rolex replied: "My driver's a red shirt," a reference to the pro-government group. "What if we encounter red shirts?"

Red shirts, if there were any, were nowhere to be readily identified along Phetchaburi Road leading toward the Government House. The majority of protesters appeared to be overwhelmingly middle class. One male protester quickly applied sun block before he re-emerged into the crowd from a cafe and into the blaring anti-Communist songs from the Cold War era played through loudspeakers on the street.

Lae Dilokvidhya, a well-known economist from Chulalongkorn University, was among the crowd yesterday but insisted he came as an observer.

He said what Yingluck did by dissolving the House "was a response too late", adding that the huge number of mostly Bangkok protesters is linked to concerns about corruption, something pro-government supporters would never acknowledge.

Lae said people should be mindful of a military coup in the foreseeable future, which is something not to be welcomed, and added that he "ideally" hoped the whole Shinawatra clan would quit politics for a period of time to lessen the anger and anxiety of the protesters.

Lae also said he hoped leaders from both sides would rein in demonstrators to avoid a bloody confrontation.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-10

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Shinawatra clan continues to play a major role in Thailand all the protest will be for not and shortly after the Feb. 2nd elections the protest will start anew. It would be nice to see the Shinawatra's and their crew move to a foreign land but we all know they are out for money power and more money.

Yes there are other factions within the ruling party and the opposition that Thailand can do without.

And if/when they are gone, another even worse dictator type will take their place. When a country is broken with corruption, police, military taking paid down sides, when all business and government is corrupted, a dictator will appear.

• Like 1

If the Shinawatra clan continues to play a major role in Thailand all the protest will be for not and shortly after the Feb. 2nd elections the protest will start anew. It would be nice to see the Shinawatra's and their crew move to a foreign land but we all know they are out for money power and more money.

Yes there are other factions within the ruling party and the opposition that Thailand can do without.

How ludicrous is this protest.

Because Thaksin was supposedly corrupt (the only corrupt politician in Thailand) the protesters are demanding the whole family leave politics.

This needs to be seen for what it is.

The protesters (paid protesters) are being used to get another even more corrupt group into power.

But first they need to get rid of this powerful and popular political force.

It's a bit like when the corrupt anti-drug forces go all out to eliminate a cartel so an even more powerful cartel can take over the whole territory.

If they succeed, we will witness the most corrupt ever political power in Thai politics with years to run without any opposition.

heaven help us.

• Like 2

Because Thaksin was supposedly corrupt (the only corrupt politician in Thailand) the protesters are demanding the whole family leave politics.

The protesters (paid protesters) are being used to get another even more corrupt group into power.

It's a bit like when the corrupt anti-drug forces go all out to eliminate a cartel so an even more powerful cartel can take over the whole territory.

If they succeed, we will witness the most corrupt ever political power in Thai politics with years to run without any opposition.

heaven help us.

Do you know what percentage of the protestors are paid? 0%, 1%??? How reliable is your information? There are definitely protestors that are there on their own. I have no knowledge of any paid protestors, however that doesn't mean much.

• Like 1

"Many began heading toward Government House from early morning. The BTS system was unusually crowded for that time. One well-heeled lady told a stranger - a fellow protester at the same table sharing refreshments at a hotel near Government House - that it was her first time to ride on the BTS Skytrain. The stranger, a wealthy Thai-Chinese man wearing a diamond-studded Rolex replied: "My driver's a red shirt," a reference to the pro-government group. "What if we encounter red shirts?"

Is there a competition going on amongst the journalists for "most stupid, narrow minded, pointless paragraph designed to create a false, pro PT propaganda machine stereotype image of a protestor in order to further ferment hatred"? If so, I think we may have a winner here.

Did any one they the BTS pax that the BTS does not go to the Government House?

I think the Thai-Chinese man wearing a diamond-studded Rolex could be heading for the Paragon at Siam.

heaven help us.

You seem to forget that he was convicted and still running the government and his family even trying to adapt the law to get him back home. That was what started this mess. So no more Taksins seems a good strategy.

And corruption wise it can now be proven that all the Taksin governments only made it worse much worse if you look at how Thailand goes on the corruption lists.

Could you please give me some proof of what you are talking about also the paid part please. There is video evidence of reds getting paid, so that is a fact. Now please show me the same kind of evidence on the yellow. Mind you I am not saying that there are not a few cases of paid protesters that would be naive. But it is not as prevalent as with the red rent a mob.

"It would be nice to see the Shinawatra's and their crew move to a foreign land but we all know they are out for money power and more money".

How ridiculous is this getting? Farangs advocating the entire Shin clan & those associated leave their own country... What do you think this would solve? They would only be targeted again for running the next PTP government form overseas. Suthep doesn't want elections, he wants his own self appointed power base. Democratic Party may arse.

BTW, who isn't out for the money?

• Like 1

"It would be nice to see the Shinawatra's and their crew move to a foreign land but we all know they are out for money power and more money".

How ridiculous is this getting? Farangs advocating the entire Shin clan & those associated leave their own country... What do you think this would solve? They would only be targeted again for running the next PTP government form overseas. Suthep doesn't want elections, he wants his own self appointed power base. Democratic Party may arse.

I think farangs are not really wanting them to leave the country, (although at this time it would be a respite.) They should just go home and run a private business and take money from their own bank to spend. let a new elected government take over--WITHOUT THEM.

I am sick of the pro-TS here keep only pointing at Suthep. What if today the person is not Suthep who want to overthrow the TS regime? What if he is only a Thai common citizen? What have you got to say?? After questions about the corruptions, problems and responsibilties,trying to above the law. Doesn't YL as the elected PM has any role to play?? SHe need not give any answer??? Dodging here and there. She HERSELF should have feel bloody shamed and volunteer to quit her PM position.

Some people may say whoever in-charge ,corruption is still around.

No change, means thing is done. Forever in TS regime, corrupted, citizens having hard life.

Try to change, may have chances to have a new corrupted free nation. It is very hard but slowly start better than no start.

I personally believe after this time protest, Suthep himself will aware that power is still belong to the Thai people and they will unite and come out together to kick your ass out if you are doing harm to their country and their beloved Supreme leader (i do not mean Suthep). Suthep is not a dumbass either. He will not want to become same like TS, hated by so many own Thai fellow people. After this Suthep will take the corruption seriously (I personally believe).

NO change, everything same same

Try change, may have something no same.

Why not give a change?

Cheers~

heaven help us.

Thaksin was convicted of abuse of power and has about 11 other corruption charges awaiting his return.

Yingluck perjured herself in court, lying about Thaksin's assets.

Thaksin's sister was banned from politics for 5 years for the TRT party's electoral fraud.

Thaksin's brother in law was banned from politics for 5 years for the PPP party's electoral fraud.

Thaksin's niece was banned from politics for 5 years for a false asset declaration.

That's one of the reasons why the protesters want the family gone.

Looks like 5 reasons not 1 .............. 555

I think farangs are not really wanting them to leave the country, (although at this time it would be a respite.) They should just go home and run a private business and take money from their own bank to spend. let a new elected government take over--WITHOUT THEM.

Which foreigners would that be? Not me. I don't care, one way or the other. It doesn't matter who is in power. They are all idiots and lunatics. You will not find one leader amongst the entire pack of them. Not one of them are without fault and guilty of the same things the other are guilty of. What? You think, like some others, that a Thailand sans the Thaksin family is going to be any different? Keep on thinking. Keep on hoping. Keep on praying. Thais are better at destroying their own hopes than creating any.

This entire debacle is representative of the fact that Thais can't even play by their own rules. From ignoring traffic rules and driving like idiots, all the way up the lunatic chain to electing a Prime Minister and then spending the balance of that Prime Minister's term to get rid of him or her... they can't even abide by their own rules.

Do a read on the history of their PM's and you'll find that the average time in office is less than one term before dissolution or a coup.

Lunatics all. Let 'em bicker and fight. It's the status quo. They'll never get what they want because they don't want what's good for them: responsibility and accountability towards themselves and each other, right down to every man, woman and child.

He was probably referring to foreigners with families here who want the best for them not just themselves.

I agree most foreigners who are here for the cheap beer and women don't care.

As long as the Thaksin clan and their populist policies for the rural voters been in power, the media stays government controlled and the up-country voters are being withheld from the truth, yes then PT will win again, and can the demonstrations begin again.

The only thing which could save this country is to root out all Thaksin elements, to disqualify all politicians over the age of 55 and start with fresh blood of electable people who have no ties to any politician in the past, no matter which party they were from.

"Many began heading toward Government House from early morning. The BTS system was unusually crowded for that time. One well-heeled lady told a stranger - a fellow protester at the same table sharing refreshments at a hotel near Government House - that it was her first time to ride on the BTS Skytrain. The stranger, a wealthy Thai-Chinese man wearing a diamond-studded Rolex replied: "My driver's a red shirt," a reference to the pro-government group. "What if we encounter red shirts?"

Is there a competition going on amongst the journalists for "most stupid, narrow minded, pointless paragraph designed to create a false, pro PT propaganda machine stereotype image of a protestor in order to further ferment hatred"? If so, I think we may have a winner here.

Still, makes a change from 'Red Mob Thugs' and "Yingluck is a thick bimbo only good for shopping" that is spewed out on here ad nauseam every day, doesn't it? tuzki-bunny-emoticon-034.gif

As long as the Thaksin clan and their populist policies for the rural voters been in power, the media stays government controlled and the up-country voters are being withheld from the truth, yes then PT will win again, and can the demonstrations begin again.

The only thing which could save this country is to root out all Thaksin elements, to disqualify all politicians over the age of 55 and start with fresh blood of electable people who have no ties to any politician in the past, no matter which party they were from.

I like your sentiments, though I have to say there are plenty of good and qualified people over 55!

I really hope the writing is on the wall for Banharn in the next election. He lost a few MPs last time around as people turn away from his private fiefdom style of politics. May the political dinosaurs of Thailand become extinct.

heaven help us.

Thaksin was convicted of abuse of power and has about 11 other corruption charges awaiting his return.

Yingluck perjured herself in court, lying about Thaksin's assets.

Thaksin's sister was banned from politics for 5 years for the TRT party's electoral fraud.

Thaksin's brother in law was banned from politics for 5 years for the PPP party's electoral fraud.

Thaksin's niece was banned from politics for 5 years for a false asset declaration.

That's one of the reasons why the protesters want the family gone.

Yeh, but...but...apart from that they are a law abiding family that wants nothing more than to spread it's goodness amongst those poor Thai's. God bless them, I could almost cry!!

• Like 2

I am sick of the pro-TS here keep only pointing at Suthep. What if today the person is not Suthep who want to overthrow the TS regime? What if he is only a Thai common citizen? What have you got to say?? After questions about the corruptions, problems and responsibilties,trying to above the law. Doesn't YL as the elected PM has any role to play?? SHe need not give any answer??? Dodging here and there. She HERSELF should have feel bloody shamed and volunteer to quit her PM position.

Some people may say whoever in-charge ,corruption is still around.

No change, means thing is done. Forever in TS regime, corrupted, citizens having hard life.

Try to change, may have chances to have a new corrupted free nation. It is very hard but slowly start better than no start.

I personally believe after this time protest, Suthep himself will aware that power is still belong to the Thai people and they will unite and come out together to kick your ass out if you are doing harm to their country and their beloved Supreme leader (i do not mean Suthep). Suthep is not a dumbass either. He will not want to become same like TS, hated by so many own Thai fellow people. After this Suthep will take the corruption seriously (I personally believe).

NO change, everything same same

Try change, may have something no same.

Why not give a change?

Cheers~

I am sick of Farangs backing either side & giving their worthless opinion on a wholly Thai matter. In the end, all the crap being spouted by farangs on this subject is irrelevant, so why bother making arguments for either group of fanatics..?

Which foreigners would that be? Not me. I don't care, one way or the other. It doesn't matter who is in power. They are all idiots and lunatics. You will not find one leader amongst the entire pack of them. Not one of them are without fault and guilty of the same things the other are guilty of. What? You think, like some others, that a Thailand sans the Thaksin family is going to be any different? Keep on thinking. Keep on hoping. Keep on praying. Thais are better at destroying their own hopes than creating any.

This entire debacle is representative of the fact that Thais can't even play by their own rules. From ignoring traffic rules and driving like idiots, all the way up the lunatic chain to electing a Prime Minister and then spending the balance of that Prime Minister's term to get rid of him or her... they can't even abide by their own rules.

Do a read on the history of their PM's and you'll find that the average time in office is less than one term before dissolution or a coup.

Lunatics all. Let 'em bicker and fight. It's the status quo. They'll never get what they want because they don't want what's good for them: responsibility and accountability towards themselves and each other, right down to every man, woman and child.

He was probably referring to foreigners with families here who want the best for them not just themselves.

I agree most foreigners who are here for the cheap beer and women don't care.

I disagree with your "probably". Possibly. Probably. Who knows without asking?

I also disagree with the misguided belief that people who don't care only fall into the mentioned two categories. That really is a bit naive and could perhaps be interpreted as an insult, yes? This is pointless.

Saying that foreigners here with families want the best for their families and not just their own selves is more or less a moot point. Who wants the worst, yes? This, too, is pointless.

I said "I don't care" because it does not matter who is in power. Caring for lunatics and their squabbles is pointless. That is the point. Caring takes energy. Lunatics are like a great vacuum and will suck all your energy and give nothing back. Better to aim for better pastures and put our energies therein to make a better life for ourselves and our loved ones, or our beer, or our women, whatever the case may be, and that is anyone's right without being scorned for that.

For the time being it is possible to do that here... in Thailand, and still remain out of range of their lunacies... for the time being.

heaven help us.

I see from your post that you subscribe to the don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

You are correct that this is country has corruption deeply ingrained within it's culture and a simple regime change will not change much unless there is a serious overhaul of the administration, judiciary and the police force and military. IMO military have no place in either commerce nor politics.

Outside communist regimes there is not one single country in the world who have military deeply involved in politics that can claim to be democratic and developed

Furthermore,MP's should have this draconian protection from prosecution for fraud or malfeasance removed totally. By having such a law it is almost tantamount to acceptance of malfeasance.

They should be held to a higher standard and prosecuted within the full extent of the law. Any MP found guilty of corruption or professional malfeasance should be jailed and banned from any political office for life.

If this nation does not strive to raise the bar with regard to political accountability there will be no development and they will remain as a feudal society for the benefit of the influential.

If the countries serving MP's were put on notice that there was a zero tolerance for corruption and malfeasance involving significant jail time and expulsion for life from political office, many would simply slip away as they have neither the intellect, aptitude nor ability to perform their responsibilities in an acceptable manner.

• Like 2

Robblok you are either extremely naive or totally one eyed

The Thaksin era began less tha ten years ago

Are you seriously suggesting it was all clean in politics before and therefore will be again?

Come on, get real man

The past 60 years has seen the massive growth in personal wealth of the military's brass, top police, Democrat politicians and the old families with close ties to the ancient elite.

They will carry on with complete disregard for the average Thai worker or farmer.

Their wives will continue flying to Europe for a pair of shoes, while they expropriate public land and skim every government contract.

For you info my wife works in a dog grooming salon and all three girls were offered 1000 baht to get on the bus from pattaya to go protest.

Of course I don't have video evidence, grow up man.

Less than 10 years ago? I could have sworn Thaksin was PM in 2001.

• Like 2