I have done the best I could, Yingluck tells coalition partners

webfact

Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Nation

30221747-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra finally decided to dissolve the House yesterday morning before demonstrators at all rally sites marched to Government House.

A key member of Pheu Thai said: "Some key Cabinet members confirmed [her decision] early yesterday morning by phone while they were checking the report [seeking royal approval for a House dissolution]."

Although the premier did not inform the coalition partners herself, she was quoted as telling her allies that she "had done the best that she could", the source said.

Thaksin calls his sister

He said the former premier Thaksin, who is believed to be pulling the strings behind Pheu Thai Party, spoke to his sister Yingluck by phone on at least two occasions - on Saturday night and Sunday night - to prepare for House dissolution.

"When Yingluck offered House dissolution and a public referendum to the protest leader [suthep Thaugsuban on his call for a people's council] on Sunday, Pheu Thai leaders believed that they would take advantage of this fight - if 152 Democrat MPs, led by Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, had not resigned in the afternoon," the source said.

The mass resignation by all Democrat MPs on Sunday put pressure on the government.

Yingluck's aides needed to check the stance of her coalition partners. That was also why key Pheu Thai members, led by former premier Somchai Wongsawat, met in a closed-door meeting with coalition parties in the evening.

A junior coalition party leader said they guessed the political situation was "D-Day" for people fighting against the "Thaksin regime".

No one asked about House dissolution.

"Yingluck made the final decision after meeting coalition parties. She had her political aides find out how four coalition party leaders would react if she dissolved the House. Some party leaders said this was a matter for the prime minister.

"It depended on Yingluck. However, remember that this was not enough to satisfy the protesters," the source said.

Another of Thaksin's close aides said he had never seen Thaksin lose. If the former PM felt like he may lose, he must turn to start a new game.

The source said he had no idea why Yingluck had decided to dissolve the House on "battle day".

"I think that the government needs to do several things before calling a House dissolution. If Yingluck's government had more patience than protesters, it would mean winning."

He said Yingluck decided to step back because she may have wanted to play safe on "battle day".

She also avoided losses such as losing the democratic system.

"Now, the biggest problem is how will the government continue now that the prime minister has stepped back," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-10

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you did not,... you still haven't traveled to Hawaii giggle.gif giggle.gifgiggle.gif , the Pheu Thai has carried you on their wings to take care of all the corruption scandal scams on your behalf,...

Too bad you'll never see Hawaii wai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

"Although the premier did not inform the coalition partners herself, she was quoted as telling her allies that she "had done the best that she could", the source said."

In the 2.5 years she has been the Prime Minister the best she could do was to lead Thailand to the point of no government today!!

to be honest with you and as a totally unbiased onlooker she seems to have handled the whole thing with some class. I think (and it's only my opinion of course) is that this Suthep chap is a first class sociopath. he can't win an election so he tries another way to rig it in his favour by doing his best to rid Thailand of democracy and lead by mob rule, anarchy is the word. He wants to tear down a democratically elected government (which shows what the people think of him, right? They'd rather have a convicted criminal's sister at the helm than Suthep or anybody else) and install an unelected "people's council". Who decides who will be on this council? Suthep? So he wants to be a dictator and some people (like you for example) think this is better than a democratic option? You might be right but back to your statement, it seems to me Suthep is responsible for bringing down the government not the PM.

Right Alwyn... Suthep was trying to bring down this corrupt government... that was the whole point.. Duhhhh...

and replace it with his own corrupt government .. Duhhhh Bakseeda... From what I've seen around the World, a corrupt government is better than a corrupt dictator, which is what Suthep wants

• Like 2

Aaaaah, that's lovely. She's done the best she could. I believe her on her blue eyes.... Mind you, there is one important issue to be solved: The TRT has changed and added districts in order to make the election turn out so well for them last time. If it's goind to be election again in the same way as last time, they will lose, but not a lot.

"Although the premier did not inform the coalition partners herself, she was quoted as telling her allies that she "had done the best that she could", the source said."

In the 2.5 years she has been the Prime Minister the best she could do was to lead Thailand to the point of no government today!!

to be honest with you and as a totally unbiased onlooker she seems to have handled the whole thing with some class. I think (and it's only my opinion of course) is that this Suthep chap is a first class sociopath. he can't win an election so he tries another way to rig it in his favour by doing his best to rid Thailand of democracy and lead by mob rule, anarchy is the word. He wants to tear down a democratically elected government (which shows what the people think of him, right? They'd rather have a convicted criminal's sister at the helm than Suthep or anybody else) and install an unelected "people's council". Who decides who will be on this council? Suthep? So he wants to be a dictator and some people (like you for example) think this is better than a democratic option? You might be right but back to your statement, it seems to me Suthep is responsible for bringing down the government not the PM.

He is basically trying to eradicate the flaws in Thailand's current democratic system so as to have a free & fair election (not become a dictator), expose the high level corruption (don't tell me all past governments are guilty of this, I know that but this lot seem to have taken it to catastrophic levels).

If you are talking about sociopaths try looking up megalomania & see who fits that hat.

What a sucker you really are.

• Like 1