I have done the best I could, Yingluck tells coalition partners

webfact

...and preparing to introduce a fresh new Thaksin amnesty bill... as usual...

Aside from all the paranoia about Toxin etc etc ... blah blah......................... you do realise there are thousands who wish to return to Thailand and not a small amount are simply normal people wishing to go home... there are also many successful Thais that would love to return home and bring with them skills and business and investment that which would benefit the nation as a whole.

This constant crap peddling paranoia about one person when amnesty would cover thousands who more than deserve a reprieve.... so ban the guy from all form of politics... and dont give me the crap about pulling the strings from behind, according to stories hes already doing that form another country anyway so what is the difference ?

Really some need to look at the logic of their silly ideas.

Ahh yes. Right out of the red handbook. Why the amnesty bill had NOTHING to do with our famous foreign fatcat felon! Pure coincidence! C'mon now, nobody believes this crap. The reds who want him back at any cost certainly don't.

I love the paranoia bit. If you can't argue the issues, and find yourself having to defend a fugitive felon, accuse 'em all of phobia, eh? Lol. The "Thaksin haters" are now "Thaksinphobes". Well, keep trying. Maybe you'll stumble on something that'll stick.

oh look another flag waving fool this time a banana instead of a tomatoe. whistling.gif

I have no love for Toxin and co if you bothered to read with any amount of understanding that should be clear... amnesty bill affects far more than the end of your nose.

Getting real fed up with people who think every problem, issue revolves around one person and waving some form of magic wand by another complete maniac will make it any better ... its moronic.

I'll say one thing this last week has shown and thats how stupid, easily led and narrow visioned so many are in both camps, hence why Thailands politics are a mess and always will be.

Edited by englishoak

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's the thing

She won the no confidence vote.

That was hardly a surprise as her party with its coalition friends commanded a majority wink.png

And being a democracy, there it should have ended, but no, Suthep doesn't care one jot about democracy. Yingluck should have then ordered the police to clear the streets and pack the rabble off home.

So you surely applaud the mopping up of the red fortress in Bangkok in 2010 by the army.

Your post shows that you lack any understanding of democracy. The term derives from the Greek "o dhimos krataei" (sorry, I only speak contemporary Greek, not the ancient version), meaning "the people holds the power". And in the elections it decides which political group gets the mandate to govern the country. Although the mandate is set for usually 4 years, this contract can be terminated by the people at any time, as the "dhimos" still holds the power.

The funny idea that democracy just means that you may express your wishes once every 4 years in the ballot box and then bend over, close your eyes and suffer in silence, is simply absurd. If you rent out your condo for 4 years and the tenant starts to loot it you certainly won't wait until the contract expires. You have him thrown out before he does any more damage, even if some of the neighbours to whom he handed your property for free really like him. And this is exactly what happened in Thailand. The owner kicked out the tenant.

Of course for those fat cats, who already ordered another luxury car in eager expectation of their share of the upcoming trillion baht government handouts, it is a big disappointment.

"So you surely applaud the mopping up of the red fortress in Bangkok in 2010 by the army"

Absolutely not, the reds came to reclaim democracy.

As for my understanding of democracy, I understand the government survived a vote of no confidence and that means shut up and <deleted> off home Suthep, but of course that means nothing to that psychopath as he wants an end to democracy.

"So you surely applaud the mopping up of the red fortress in Bangkok in 2010 by the army"

As for my understanding of democracy, I understand the government survived a vote of no confidence and that means shut up and <deleted> off home Suthep, but of course that means nothing to that psychopath as he wants an end to democracy.

In 2010, unlike the protestors today, the reds with their black shirts tried to VIOLENTLY overthrow the government. You call Suthep a 'psychopath' and yet neither him nor or any of his fellow protestors have made speeches about burning Bangkok to the ground and then actually tried doing it. Nor have the protestors today possess war weapons nor used them.

The no confidence vote was a waste of time seeing that parliament is filled with Shinawatra cronies. You call it ending democracy but others see it as ending the tyranny of the majority.

• Like 1

Aside from all the paranoia about Toxin etc etc ... blah blah......................... you do realise there are thousands who wish to return to Thailand and not a small amount are simply normal people wishing to go home... there are also many successful Thais that would love to return home and bring with them skills and business and investment that which would benefit the nation as a whole.

This constant crap peddling paranoia about one person when amnesty would cover thousands who more than deserve a reprieve.... so ban the guy from all form of politics... and dont give me the crap about pulling the strings from behind, according to stories hes already doing that form another country anyway so what is the difference ?

Just who and where are these "thousands who wish to return to Thailand"? What crimes have they committed that cause them to flee the country, longing to get an amnesty?

Amnesty to people charged with political offences during turmoil that began with a 2006 military coup onwards through 2008 and past 2010. The bill would have covered most rank-and-file Yellow Shirt and Red Shirt members. A reconciliation if you will for both sides to be able to move on and of course their families from being affected, I understand the number is not small. The original amnesty bill did not cover Thaksin or other political leaders.

Im not saying it was ever a good idea to let some of these people on both sides off the hook but some who are just regular people do have charges hanging who are not so "connected" and no doubt wont be able to afford the "kickbacks" but Thailand being what it is likes to put things under the carpet, the original bill was intended no doubt to clean both slates somewhat and avoid prosecutions etc. A bit of you turn the other cheek and so will we.

Just saying imo it was supposed to be about more than just Toxin and a Thai way of all saving face and moving on. Unfortunately it was amended to include leaders in that period including Toxin and thats when the shit really hit the fan.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

As an outsider looking in, it is baffling to me that Thailand has a parliament and calls its political system democratic when it has been well recorded that the political parties 'buy' votes and then when things don't go their way they just call their supporters out for a demonstration to oust the ruling party or coalition. Excuse me but that is not how democracy works boys and girls!

Rule 1:- Once a party has won a majority or is able to form a majority coalition it is deemed that a democratic government has been created and the parties which lose have to accept this and work within the parliamentary system to debate and vote for policies to improve the lives of all the people for the electoral term.

Rule 2:- If the opposing parties believe there is sufficient opposition 'within parliament' to the way in which the government is currently operating they may call for a vote of no confidence and if the governing party lose this vote then parliament is dissolved and a new general election is called for. If on the other hand the government win then the status quo resumes.

Get these two rules being followed and Thailand is halfway to democracy the other half will take more time probably.

All of which is fully understood. What you have done is summarise very neatly the perfect democratic environment, however you are missing 1 very big equation. The current system is seriously corrupt,, what do you do then?

Were are all of the RED coats today??

Dont worry BillyBob, they will be out in force on election day, voting their party in ..........as usual.

...and preparing to introduce a fresh new Thaksin amnesty bill... as usual...

Who are these other successful Thais that can't return home, and that would have been covered by this amnesty bill? Are they part of the 25,000 charges that would have been dropped if the bill had got through?

If not, the original bill probably would have covered them. If Thaksin and the other leaders hadn't been included in the amended version, there wouldn't have been all this crap of the last month.

Sent from my phone ...

Looking and having watched this all unfold for the past months, while the losers from the last election have done there utmost to destabilise the present Government, Yingluck has shown a maturity of a positive leader. There hasn't been the raging violence of the past couple of encounters (yet). The Democrats have shown their true colors joining the marches ( a clear fear of losing their own support to Suthep ).

Once again Yingluck has at this point out maneuvered the opposition by saying lets get a new mandate from the sixty nine million not the two hundred thousand. This is what a democracy is and how it works contrary to the views of a few of the TV Forum subscribers?

I hope personally that the protesters now step back, work toward new elections and if they (the Thai people) want change they get it but let it be in the hands of the majority not the few!

Marcos and Suharto claimed the same kind of democracy. It most definitely is anything but democracy when all the decisions of a government are being made by a criminal fugitive who lives overseas, all the while continuing to claim that he has no interest in politics anymore. The Dems and Suthep are horrid in what they are doing, but the Shin clan are about as ugly and low as you can get and the country cannot and will not ever move forward until they are completely banned from ever having anything to do with politics here. If the Reds are so strong that they can win an election without paying people, why don't they just renounce the scumbag, give the Dems what they wish, and still come out on top? Looks like the only happy endings you get here are in massage parlors.

Do you believe the Dems don't pay for votes? One of the women in our village lost all her money going around paying for votes, after the Dems didn't get enough votes from the village they refused to repay her. Try to understand they are all as corrupt as each other. Power is what they are all fighting for not the good of Thailand!

now thats a made up story isnt it ,can you prove it,i think not ..what village is this by the way..

I dont think it matters even if it is not made up. What everyone understands is that the system is corrupt, is Suthep the right man to take over? I don't know, probably not but he is saying the right things. If the government is so corrupt the first thing you do is shout about it, make it public and make a point that the people will not tolerate a government that is pilfering the countries money.

Will the next government be squeaky clean? of course not but lets just pretend that instead of the 30% of GDP being "distributed" it now becomes more discrete due to current example of public outcry and only 15% gets pilfered.. Over time things will improve as history has shown in other countries but it takes time,, have to take the first step though. Google American history, it was the same at one time until people said enough and things started to change.

I really hope that the Thai people get what they want this time, or at the very least a serious improvement.

The army didn't start shooting until after they were blown up by grenades.

Abhisit was elected in the same way as Thaksin, Samak, Somchai (especially Somchai) and Yingluck. Just because they don't understand the parliamentary system doesn't give them the right to use violence to force him to step down.

Sent from my phone ...

Sorry to burst your bubble but he was in fact appointed by the Dems when they seized power and not elected at all .... biiig difference.

PS no im not a red supporter just get your facts straight.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

Abhisit was elected in the same way as Thaksin, Samak, Somchai (especially Somchai) and Yingluck. Just because they don't understand the parliamentary system doesn't give them the right to use violence to force him to step down.

Sent from my phone ...

The Dems have not won an election for many years and THAT was the problem in 2010 it is NOT the problem now

Sent from my phone ...

Sorry to burst your bubble but he was in fact appointed buy the Dems when they seized power and not elected at all .... biiig difference.

exactly you got in before i did - BIG difference and if posters don't 'get it' then they 'don't get it'

Sent from my phone ...

Sorry to burst your bubble but he was in fact appointed by the Dems when they seized power and not elected at all .... biiig difference.

He was elected by a majority of MPs, the same as all the others. Saying he was "appointed by the Dems" is the same as saying Yingluck wasn't elected but appointed by Thaksin.

Edited by whybother

Sent from my phone ...

One year after the coup in 2006 elections were held which were won by PPP & Samak became PM. The Dems subsequently came to power later on when they formed a coalition government with support from Newin & Banharn (yes I know they were possibly coreced by the army) but legally Abhisit then became PM.

I believe if the amnesty bill had been presented in a way that forgave those grass roots people who were only part of a protest movement then it would have flown through but to include those involved in 1,000s of corruption cases, responsible for the violence & mayhem, the passing of laws to enable a certain company to sell its shares to a foreign corporation, etc etc was totally wrong.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 2

He said the former premier Thaksin, who is believed to be pulling the strings behind Pheu Thai Party, spoke to his sister Yingluck by phone on at least two occasions - on Saturday night and Sunday night - to prepare for House dissolution.

Another of Thaksin's close aides said he had never seen Thaksin lose. If the former PM felt like he may lose, he must turn to start a new game.

Says it all really doesn't it. Thaksin realized he can't win so he told his puppet to give up and he would try and plan a different strategy, the fugitives grip over his cronies continues and his grip on power continues until the new election, he has 3 months to make a new game play. Can he hold out till June when the government will be able to re-ram HIS amnesty through parliament regardless of what every other person in the entire country thinks about it ?!. This is the problem. A convicted criminal fugitive has NO say in politics except for a rich vindictive billionaire megalomaniac. No other country in the world would tolerate such billigerance. They have to be removed by any means necessary...

He said the former premier Thaksin, who is believed to be pulling the strings behind Pheu Thai Party, spoke to his sister Yingluck by phone on at least two occasions - on Saturday night and Sunday night - to prepare for House dissolution.

Another of Thaksin's close aides said he had never seen Thaksin lose. If the former PM felt like he may lose, he must turn to start a new game.

Says it all really doesn't it. Thaksin realized he can't win so he told his puppet to give up and he would try and plan a different strategy, the fugitives grip over his cronies continues and his grip on power continues until the new election, he has 3 months to make a new game play. Can he hold out till June when the government will be able to re-ram HIS amnesty through parliament regardless of what every other person in the entire country thinks about it ?!. This is the problem. A convicted criminal fugitive has NO say in politics except for a rich vindictive billionaire megalomaniac. No other country in the world would tolerate such billigerance. They have to be removed by any means necessary...

Thaksin is now launching plan B,hope he fails again and continue with his fugitive life in Dubai where he belongs.

yea enjoy kicking her

Thailand's first female premier broke the mold and I think she deserves credit

you guys might enjoy laughing at her now but PTP will win their 10th election because the majority of Thais support them - that's democracy folks! sorry you don't like it

Yea. Then elect a horse. That would also "break the mold", wouldn't it? Seriously, you have a very distorted and simplistic concept of electability. If they could, the Thaksinistas would elect a convicted felon and fugitive from justice. I'd prefer they elected the horse; it would do less damage to Thai democracy.

so you think overturning elected governments and seizing buildings is ok? maybe you support a 'local Police Force'? an unelected people's council? and all the rest?

So you think an elected government pilfering from the very people that elected them is ok? What would you do? Would you just let it carry on? Ok Suthep is not the right man and some of his tactics have been questionable at best BUT it seems that many people are with him and that the government themselves have taken it seriously enough to dissolve parliament.

Sent from my phone ...

Terribly sorry and all that, old chap, but the elected MP Abhsit was voted as PM by a (slim) majority of the MP's who also were properly elected.

Pity really that PM Somchai didn't dissolve the House, all would have been so much happier it would seem.

wink.png

Sent from my phone ...

The Dems have not won an election for many years and THAT was the problem in 2010 it is NOT the problem now

The Democrat party has won seats in every election, but never had a 50%++ majority. I'm from the Netherlands, I can't remember if we ever had a party that large since 1848 rolleyes.gif

The problem in 2010 was a anti-government protest group a 'wee bit' more violent than the current bunch

"Although the premier did not inform the coalition partners herself, she was quoted as telling her allies that she "had done the best that she could", the source said."

In the 2.5 years she has been the Prime Minister the best she could do was to lead Thailand to the point of no government today!!

to be honest with you and as a totally unbiased onlooker she seems to have handled the whole thing with some class. I think (and it's only my opinion of course) is that this Suthep chap is a first class sociopath. he can't win an election so he tries another way to rig it in his favour by doing his best to rid Thailand of democracy and lead by mob rule, anarchy is the word. He wants to tear down a democratically elected government (which shows what the people think of him, right? They'd rather have a convicted criminal's sister at the helm than Suthep or anybody else) and install an unelected "people's council". Who decides who will be on this council? Suthep? So he wants to be a dictator and some people (like you for example) think this is better than a democratic option? You might be right but back to your statement, it seems to me Suthep is responsible for bringing down the government not the PM.

He is basically trying to eradicate the flaws in Thailand's current democratic system so as to have a free & fair election (not become a dictator), expose the high level corruption (don't tell me all past governments are guilty of this, I know that but this lot seem to have taken it to catastrophic levels).

If you are talking about sociopaths try looking up megalomania & see who fits that hat.

How do you eradicate flaws in a democracy by overthrowing the elected government in favor of a dictatorship?

The government hasn't been overthrown.

The government has dissolved itself in the face of massive, possibly insurmountable financial difficulties and the clear loss of support evidenced by mass public unrest.

YL's government was always a puppet government, and its mismanagement and apparent corruption is manifest. Can an alternative possibly be worse?

Were are all of the RED coats today??

Waiting for their daily briefing sheet to arrive rolleyes.gif, although we do have a normal spattering of the normal newbie low post count folks in ardent support of the reds. Spot a new name and it always is a new red supporter. Funny that!

Red astroturfing here is sort of funny as the posters are generally so inept that they are mildly humorous.

yea enjoy kicking her

you guys might enjoy laughing at her now but PTP will win their 10th election because the majority of Thais support them - that's democracy folks! sorry you don't like it

Think it's not enjoying 'Kicking her" it is the Family and the running down of Thailand through the trough.

You have no Idea who will win the next election, only through your rose glasses. If the coalition partners do not join them next time (and maybe not if the Shins are out) and no noses in the trough. and with naturally a less than the 48% because of corruption exposure, and family out--you think about it.

My thoughts only, along with the majority of posters, I wonder why the posters are not in favour of the clan. what have posters to lose ???

So you then think that most posters are misguided ??? and the minority are clear thinking.???

the Dems have lost the last 9 elections you really believe they will win this one? on other threads the majority is opposite of this one but that is irrelevant

posters who oppose democracy here, but not in their own country, are hypocrites

you think the majority of Thais support Suthept? you are seriously wrong

It is irrelevant if the majority of Thais support Suthep.

What is relevant is if they don't support PTP any longer.

I am not particularly fond of Suthep, but I detest the Shin-Rouge as the tawdry little thieves that they are. I suspect a growing number of Thais are recognising this same aspect and will cast the lot in with "anyone but Thaksin".

Amnesty to people charged with political offences during turmoil that began with a 2006 military coup onwards through 2008 and past 2010. The bill would have covered most rank-and-file Yellow Shirt and Red Shirt members. A reconciliation if you will for both sides to be able to move on and of course their families from being affected, I understand the number is not small. The original amnesty bill did not cover Thaksin or other political leaders.

Im not saying it was ever a good idea to let some of these people on both sides off the hook but some who are just regular people do have charges hanging who are not so "connected" and no doubt wont be able to afford the "kickbacks" but Thailand being what it is likes to put things under the carpet, the original bill was intended no doubt to clean both slates somewhat and avoid prosecutions etc. A bit of you turn the other cheek and so will we.

Just saying imo it was supposed to be about more than just Toxin and a Thai way of all saving face and moving on. Unfortunately it was amended to include leaders in that period including Toxin and thats when the shit really hit the fan.

My question was in regard to "there are thousands who wish to return to Thailand and not a small amount are simply normal people wishing to go home."

Where have these 'thousands' gone, what leads you to believe that this statement is true?

I know of only one person who has fled the country and whose return would have been made possible, despite the very serious charges he is yet to face.

• Like 1

She's behaved in a far more mature manner than Suthep and his clan.

But how did her clan behave during the 2010 riots? Much worse, IMHO. I'd take Suthep's approach any day over what happened back then.

bangkok-burning-fires.jpeg

thai+fire.jpg

The reds in 2010 were fighting for democracy and were responding to having the army set upon them.

Suthep and his thugs are fighting to overthrow a democratically elected government which has shown amazing restraint, no other government in the world would stand for such behaviour.

Shame on you!

exactly - well said - Abhisits government were NOT elected and have not been so for the last NINE elections so let's make it a TENTH

There are multiple ways for power to change hands in Westminster government. Abhisit cam to power in a perfectly legitimate manner.

You are misguided and in fact ignorant of how parliament works if you think Abhisit's government was in any way illegitimate. That is Shin-Rouge propoganda aimed at the ignorant masses like yourself. Try educating yourself.

As for the previous post, another astroturfing troll. It is getting tiring.

• Like 1

The rather scary thought, that seems not yet to have been addressed on TV, is who is behind Suthep, who is giving him the go ahead for these mendacious, irresponsible and damaging antics ( i hesitate to use the word treasonous, but no doubt others will use it) and cuo bono in the long term ??

The suspension of democracy is a very serious thing and all of you who think the Thaksin family are the real and blameworthy target, should perhaps think again.

They are but the excuse.

I detest Thaksin, but think Yingluck has done a creditable job since the last election and more importantly, has been getting better as she gains experience in the position.

Her handling of the last few days has been pretty good and very level headed, whilst Suthep ( and now the Democrat party ) are steering full on for something that could become close to civil war.

Some on here should consider the consequences of out right, full on, Thai on Thai violence.

Before Suthep that was unlikely but he now seems to be making it a certainty.

( And i am not talking about a few demos........)

There are now 15.5 million disenfranchised voters for one side, 11 million for the other, plus another 6 million for the other parties, and not all of them will be pleased to see their constitutional, legal and democratic rights to representation removed in an unlawful manner.

Governments that lose credibility resign because they recognise that they have lost the support of the people. YS's government resigned.

I can name LOTS of governments that have resigned as a result of far less turmoil, but for the same basic reason.

YS's government has not been removed in an unlawful manner - a military coup might constitute an unlawful manner, or kidnapping YS and putting a gun to her head would similarly be unlawful.

Public uprising against governments is a democratic right in most civilised countries, and governments do well to recognise mass dissent and call elections.

AFAIK, democracy has not been suspended. Reference please.

Thaksin is not an excuse, he is the direct cause, and only a Shin-Rouge lackey thinks any different

• Like 1

yea enjoy kicking her

Think it's not enjoying 'Kicking her" it is the Family and the running down of Thailand through the trough.

You have no Idea who will win the next election, only through your rose glasses. If the coalition partners do not join them next time (and maybe not if the Shins are out) and no noses in the trough. and with naturally a less than the 48% because of corruption exposure, and family out--you think about it.

My thoughts only, along with the majority of posters, I wonder why the posters are not in favour of the clan. what have posters to lose ???

So you then think that most posters are misguided ??? and the minority are clear thinking.???

the Dems have lost the last 9 elections you really believe they will win this one? on other threads the majority is opposite of this one but that is irrelevant

posters who oppose democracy here, but not in their own country, are hypocrites

you think the majority of Thais support Suthept? you are seriously wrong

So you would be happy to have your country run by someone on the run? For a Brit it would be like having Ronnie Biggs running the UK from Brazil.

"Absolutely not, the reds came to reclaim democracy."

Oh dear, what a pathetic statement of mistruth. The rest of your post demonstrates similarly profound ignorance.

Now, go mix yourself some more Kool-Aid and spew some more pearls for our entertainment.

In 2010, unlike the protestors today, the reds with their black shirts tried to VIOLENTLY overthrow the government. You call Suthep a 'psychopath' and yet neither him nor or any of his fellow protestors have made speeches about burning Bangkok to the ground and then actually tried doing it. Nor have the protestors today possess war weapons nor used them.

The no confidence vote was a waste of time seeing that parliament is filled with Shinawatra cronies. You call it ending democracy but others see it as ending the tyranny of the majority.

"In 2010, unlike the protestors today, the reds with their black shirts tried to VIOLENTLY overthrow the government"

No they didn't, it was a party atmosphere until the army started shooting. And anyway, so what if they did, the government was not elected by the people so <deleted> 'em.

"but others see it as ending the tyranny of the majority"

and replacing it with the tyranny of the minority, only fascists don't believe in democracy.

"it was a party atmosphere until the army started shooting."

No it wasn't, you made that up!