No amnesty for Phuket foreigners waiting for work permits

webfact

No amnesty for Phuket foreigners waiting for work permits
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2013121092253695_WqtNWWbTtXTd
Having handed the necessary paperwork into the PPEO is not enough for foreigners to start working; they must have their work permit in hand. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- While illegal taxi, tuk-tuk and tour van drivers continue to work freely in Phuket under a government pledge of immunity from arrest, foreigners waiting for work permits will receive no such protection.

In their long-accommodating efforts to encourage drivers working in the tourism industry to become legal, the provincial government has granted amnesty to all illegal transport drivers in Phuket until December 31 (stories here and here).

However, the director of the Phuket Provincial Employment Office (PPEO), who quietly re-opened the PPEO office after having closed it for two and half days last week (story here), has confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that foreigners who have applied for work permits will receive no such privileges – regardless of whether or not the foreigners have filed all the correct paperwork with the appropriate authorities.

“We are not permitting any exceptions to allow foreigners to work while they are waiting for their work permits to be issued,” PPEO Chief Yaowapa Pibulpol told the Gazette.

“It takes time to process and verify the documents submitted in each application, and filing an application does not guarantee the applicant will be approved for a work permit,” she explained.

“Even though some drivers are allowed to work before they are fully legal, we stand by our rules. Foreigners cannot work without being issued a work permit,” Ms Yaowapa stated.

Illegal transport drivers on the island have until December 31 to comply with the law.

“From January 1, anyone found working illegally as a taxi driver will be fined 20,000 baht for each infringement,” Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada warned late last month.

Meanwhile, any foreigner caught working without a work permit faces arrest, detention at Phuket Immigration, prosecution and subsequent deportation.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/No-amnesty-for-Phuket-foreigners-waiting-for-work-permits-22990.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-10

Working in Thailand... yes if you don't have all your mental faculties. It's the same as buying property here; only those with no brains would engage in such an act.

Only someone ignorant would say that.

Several people I know, including myself have made a lot of money buying and selling property here.

If you don't know how to make money by doing it, don't presume that nobody else knows, either.

Have you got a Work Permit for that and have you paid all the relevant taxes?? Just asking!!

Working in Thailand... yes if you don't have all your mental faculties. It's the same as buying property here; only those with no brains would engage in such an act.

Several people I know, including myself have made a lot of money buying and selling property here.

If you don't know how to make money by doing it, don't presume that nobody else knows, either.

Have you got a Work Permit for that and have you paid all the relevant taxes?? Just asking!!

As property can't be in your own name, no work permit necessary. All taxes paid.

• Like 1

Welcome to the land of double standards

and utmost racism and discrimination (here and everywhere)

And WHY do we (at least quite a few) Western countries welcome this folk with open arms to live on our welfare ???

Time to introduce some reciprocal policies, back home - an eye for an eye ... who wrote that again? giggle.gif

• Like 1

I don't see what the fuss is about, if you need a work permit you need a work permit end of story. It is pretty much the same anywhere you want to work outside of your own domicile. Putting in the application means nothing, you have to wait for the permit...another Non Story!

Can't get the issue?

Then read again!

One hint I can give you ... it's NOT about whether or not you need a work permit - now go and try again cheesy.gif

As property can't be in your own name, no work permit necessary. All taxes paid.

so ..

YOU FARANG didn't buy any property, and

YOU FARANG didn't make a lot of money neither!

Gosh, no wonder Thailand discriminates foreigners.

just out of curiosity - you still have some money left to buy more property? That must be the reason you're still in Thailand, playing the big shot, otherwise ...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by Harleys

I don't see what the fuss is about, if you need a work permit you need a work permit end of story. It is pretty much the same anywhere you want to work outside of your own domicile. Putting in the application means nothing, you have to wait for the permit...another Non Story!

I fully agree with you.
  • Like 1

Welcome to the land of double standards

and utmost racism and discrimination (here and everywhere)

And WHY do we (at least quite a few) Western countries welcome this folk with open arms to live on our welfare ???

Time to introduce some reciprocal policies, back home - an eye for an eye ... who wrote that again? giggle.gif

Agreed, but in developed countries with 'modern' societies we have something called diversity, where all are treated equal, it may eventually come to LOS but be assured there will be a payment required if you wish to have it... This will of course only apply to Aliens wai2.gif

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Been living and working in Thailand almost 20 years and never had an issue. Working for both Thai and International companies. Yes, always had a work permit and always paid my taxes. I now own a company here and doing well. I have several ex-pat friends that have worked here and owned business here for many years. If you know what you are doing, have skills, an education Thailand is a good place to work. Granted 15 years ago it was better, but still as an Engineer I never had an issue finding legal work.

Smart woman.

All you have to do is abide by the rules no matter how Thai Authorities translate them.

You know as a foreigner you are not allowed o work without a permit so dont work, if you do work either without bothering or before you get your permit and get caught ,,,,TOUGH,,,,,, we are a visitors to this beautiful country and if you are thinking of living here you obviously have been here many times so would know about this 2 way of interpreting laws for Thais and Falangs such as we are, So stop whinging and enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly for TV forums, insulting others seems a favorite pastime of some "commentators". We own property, me the house, the spouse the land. I have worked legally at numerous occasions in the LOS, for lengthy periods over the last 24 years, although now happy enjoying retirement... Working in Europe, Australia or North America is also not that easy if you are a foreigner, so no issue with the local Work Permit requirements. This topic is a different issue than the double standards that are openly practiced by the locals, either covering work permits, double pricing at various locations government-managed or not, etc...

Sadly for TV forums, insulting others seems a favorite pastime of some "commentators". We own property, me the house, the spouse the land. I have worked legally at numerous occasions in the LOS, for lengthy periods over the last 24 years, although now happy enjoying retirement... Working in Europe, Australia or North America is also not that easy if you are a foreigner, so no issue with the local Work Permit requirements. This topic is a different issue than the double standards that are openly practiced by the locals, either covering work permits, double pricing at various locations government-managed or not, etc...

"We own property, me the house, the spouse the land." - I would be interested in how you would retain "your house" in the event your relationship broke down, and that is a serious question. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

"We own property, me the house, the spouse the land." - I would be interested in how you would retain "your house" in the event your relationship broke down, and that is a serious question. smile.pngsmile.png

Easy to respond ! The spouse will get the house as a "separation" settlement if she prefers or we sell both assets and she keeps the proceedings. Then, I would relocate and keep most of all of our other assets abroad which are under my name. Just be careful, as many foreigners experienced very challenging times in this country in relation to investments or relationships. On a sarcastic tone, the spouse once told me : "if we ever separate, take your house with you, I will keep the land". This was 10 years ago... But legally, as a foreigner in this country, your are entitled to own a building, but not the land.